Archive through September 04, 2005

Bronze Member
Username: Rex

Post Number: 34
Ted,
I have the same problem regarding the fan noise. After couple of hours the fan picks up speed. I can't say it always does. I am waiting for some experts to comment as well.

Username: Tomel

Post Number: 2
Rex,

I sent an e-mail to JVC tech support, but have received no response yet. Their phone tech support was no help -- a customer service type, rather than a tech type.

Let me know if you find out what's causing this to occur. I'd just like to know if it's a problem that needs to be addressed. I was hoping that someone on this forum would know the technical inner-workings of the TV well enough to hazard a guess as to why this is occuring. If it had been occurring all along, I would just assume that the set had a heat sensor that turned up the fan speed whenever necessary to keep the bulb cool.

Username: Hightower

Guelph, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4
My 52Z585 turns on but all I get is the light at the bottom flashing furiously and no picture. I also hear a cracking noise from the left hand side of the cabinet. I have called for service but no one has called me back yet. The TV is 7 months old. Any thoughts??

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 816
Rex & Ted-

The JVC has 3 variable speed internal fans. Not all 3 run at the same time or speed. Could the ambient air temp be higher causing the fans to kick in a bit more? There is also an easy way to see if the fans are operating properly.

Go into the service menu.
select option 2 "self-check"
The top line on the right will say "FAN" and either "OK" or "NG". If "NG" is displayed, then you might have a problem.

parts unknown
Unregistered guest
Mike Mike,

1) look for Optical Toslink cables
2) I use a cable box, but would use the following in the order of preference:

DVI or HDMI/DVI
Component
S-Video

Monoprice.com has great prices on all of these cables. Don't waste your money on Monster or other name brands.

Post Number: 3
Mr. Lynch,

Thanks for the info . . . but how do I get to the service menu (and exit it when I'm done). Did a search on the forum and this info did not pop up.

I did see where you had provided someone with a service manual on the HD52Z575. Could you provide me the manual as well.

Again, thanks for the info.

Bug
Unregistered guest
Another DVD Q...I almost bought the Toshiba 5970 but then saw that the 4980 also comes with an HDMI cable and does some 720p/1080i upconversion. The sales guy said that the 5970 is last years model and that the 5980 / 4980 are this years model...which one should I get??? The 4980 is about $150 CAD..the 5970 is $169 CAD. Thanks for any inputs!

Mr.Lynch - Do you have the 5970 or 5980 and how do you like it?

Bug

Bronze Member
Username: Ffb

Post Number: 17
mr lynch

i posted 3 times before and i have a question.

the new 56 from jvc are out .but they are 720 .

they look great.just saw them today at best buy.

do you think it is worthwhile to wait for the 61 inch 1080 p ,or are the addl.lines not that significant.

i have no problem waiting.

thank you

ffb

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
Mr. Lynch,
Thanks for the info on JVC's 3 variable speed internal fans. I'll check soon. I suspect there is no problem.
Rex

Username: Pradamson

Post Number: 8
Mike Mike

HDMI to HDMI cable 6ft - HDMI-01106 - $21.25 - CaleWholesale.com

Also, I got my Toslink Optical audio cable at Walmart, they have an affordable selection to choose from (low end to high end).

Paul

Bronze Member
Username: Mike_mike

Waldorf, Maryland

Post Number: 15
Thanks to all.

Bronze Member
Username: Uhphikap

Post Number: 11
Bug:
I just picked up the Toshiba 5980 for when my TV comes in. I should have it on Thursday, and I can't wait!!!

Mr Lynch:

Thanks for the link to the thread with all of the stands...I'm going to take a look at some tomorrow or Wednesday, and hopefully go ahead and pick one up before the TV gets here.

By the way, so that there's no rush, please send me the ever-so-popular service manual when you have a moment so I will have it when I need it. I'm sending my email via private message.

Thanks again to everyone for their help in this process! I can't wait to get my TV!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
I picked up a stand at Costco for $99.00...looks like it will work perfectly! I'm going to put it together tonight to have it ready for the TV tomorrow!

Bronze Member
Username: Dan_furlong

Texas USA

Post Number: 43
anybody need an extra bulb? JVC part #TS-CL11OUAA
brand new - in box

Naxx300ZX
Unregistered guest
Mr. Lynch, could you send me the service manuel to this email address: edwardb1@swbell.net. Thanks

Username: Bryman

Sorry to be such a mooch, but could someone please send me the service manual at bryanlutz@comcast.net? Thanks in advance!

Username: Mgdhoki

Centreville, VA USA

Post Number: 6
Finally got my 61z786 yesterday!! Only 23 days after purchasing it. Looks great. Stand does suck, but will do. Good luck to those who chose Pac-2000. Only bad thing was the slow delivery.

Is there a standard setting for the picture?

Mr. Lynch, can I get a service manual to mgdhoki@yahoo.com?

Unregistered guest
I have been reading this thread and others for a couple of weeks and would like to thank all of you for the good information. I have been trying to decide if I want to get the current 52" set or wait for the HD-56FH96 to come out next month. I have seen prices around $3000 for this set. I currently have a 38" RCA direct view HD 1080I. Question for Mr. Lynch or anyone else that might know...is it worth it to wait for the 1080p and pay the extra....or get the latest 52" set. My seating position is about 12' from the screen. By the way, I have never had a rear projection set.

Bug
Unregistered guest
Mr.Lynch

Could you also send me the service manual.
Thanks.

koreyswinamer@hotmail.com

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 817
Bug-

Hotnmail accounts won't accept the service manual. It gets corrupted.

Here are my settings if any of you new owners are interested.

application/mswordUpload
jvc.doc (94.7 k)

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 818
Turnkey-

The 1080p thing is a tough choice. For the price difference I don't think it is worth it. We don't have any true 1080p signals (except for a few Windows media PC clips). I've seen 720p sets side by side with a 1080p set, both converting a 1080i signal, and the difference it not as great as one might think. It is very hard to pick out the difference.

If money is not an issue, go for the 1080p. If your on a budget, you can not beat the performance of the 720p JVC. By the time your ready for something better, the price will have come down quite a bit on a 1080p set. When I bought my 720p JVC last August, I got a killer deal and paid $2700. Now you can get the 2nd generation model for closer to $2000. I'm sure the 1080p sets will follow a similar trend. You can use the $1000 you save toward a 1080p in a few years, and have a nice 52" HD TV for the bedroom.

SenorPete
Unregistered guest
Mr. lynch I too would be indebted to you for a copy of the ever-so-popular service manual!

please email to senorpete@aol.com whenever you get a chance.

muchos gracias!

Unregistered guest
Mr. Lynch, could you send me the service manuel to this email address : spoc@qc.aira.com
thank you

Bronze Member
Username: Dapercy

Post Number: 32
Mr. Lynch,

Update - I called JVC and they instantly set me up with an authorized repair center. That repair center has yet to set up a scheduled visit some I'm going to call JVC tomorrow and send them the picture.

Also could I get a copy of the service manual. I sent you an email and you may have sent it, but I accidentally deleted a bunch of email last week and may have lost it. dpercy@cox.net

Thanks for all your helpful info!

Bronze Member
Username: Dapercy

Post Number: 33
Mr. Lynch,

Update - I called JVC and they instantly set me up with an authorized repair center. That repair center has yet to set up a scheduled visit some I'm going to call JVC tomorrow and send them the picture.

Also could I get a copy of the service manual. I sent you an email and you may have sent it, but I accidentally deleted a bunch of email last week and may have lost it. dpercy@cox.net

JVC advertises 5 point color management. Is that through the service manual?

And my last question. Does this TV benefit from a 480p or 720p upconverting DVD player? I have a 480i, but don't mind shelling out a little more for an increase PQ.

Thanks for all your helpful info!

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Dan,

I am interested. How much? And, it's never been used?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
YeeHaw! My JVC just arrived! I can't wait to take it home and get it set up tonight!

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 819
The service manual was designed for the z575/585 models, but it also works for the z7xx series, and the new G series. The software is the same in all the sets.
The Service manual covers how the set is assembled, lists all the parts, and walks you though adjusting many aspects including: convergence, screen positioning, focus, offset adjustment, brightness, white balance, and several other aspects of the set. A lot of the adjustment need to be made with special equipement but Convergence and screen position are very easy to do, and can make a difference in your PQ if you have any issues.

It is also good to check your drive values S030-S032. Sometimes they come from the factory way off, and it will throw your color balance off. They should be close to these values:
S030 - R Drive(red) 126
S031 - G Drive (green) 112-122
s032 - B Drive (blue) 128

Username: Southbark

Buford, GA

Mr. Lynch,

Please send me the service manual to chiledawg@walla.com.

Thanks!

Username: Rams

St. Louis

Post Number: 1
Mr. Lynch,

I've being reading this forum for a long time now. Just got a 575 and I love it. Thanks for your helpful posts.

Also, could you send me a copy of the service manual?

rams13@gmail.com

Thanks again!

Username: Jpshan

Raleigh, NC

Mr. Lynch,

Please send me the service manual to jpshan@gmail.com

THANK YOU!

Joe

Bronze Member
Username: Dan_furlong

Texas USA

Post Number: 44
tvshopper,
It's a spare bulb I got from JVC, before I returned the TV to costco I tested the bulb to make sure it was good - it is.
It is in original packaging from JVC.
Just make some kind of offer & pay the shipping.
I don't really want much, I can't use it because I have a different brand TV.

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Dan,

Can you email me at tvshopper@hotmail.com and we will continue the discussion there? Thanks.

Unregistered guest
I purchased the 52z575 in March 05. It has performed beautifully until this week. On Monday, the set stopped converging the red signal with the blue and green. Instead, the red signal is cast as a mirror image of the green/blue, on the screen. In effect, the red signal is displayed as if it were peeled of the screen and replaced backwards. Any ideas from anyone???

Mr Lynch,
Yet another humble request for your much touted service manual. Please send to ssbynum@ika.attmil.ne.jp
Thanks, Shon

Username: Rrd888

Indianapolis

Mr. Lynch,

Please send me the service manual to rrd8881@comcast.net

Thanks again for all your Knowledge

Thanks!

Username: Turnkey

Roseville, CA United States

Mr. Lynch; thanks for the reply. I have taken your advice and ordered the 585 for a very good price (under $2000) and will wait awhile for the 1080p sets to see how much better they are. In any case it will give me a big screen for the den to watch football in. Please send me a a copy of the Service manual to vtx1300rider@comcast.net when you get a chance. Now I just need to upgrade all those crappy Bose AM speakers, any suggestions for better ones that are almost as small??

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 820
TV Shopper- Hotmail seems to corrupt the service manuals, so let me know it if doesn't come though correctly.

Mike-

Living in Seattle and being a HUGE Seahawk fan might prevent me from sharing a service manual with a Rams fan.

Username: Jpshan

Raleigh, NC

Does anyone have a clever idea for monitoring bulb usage?

Username: Turnkey

Roseville, CA United States

Post Number: 5
Unless you want to go inside your set to wire in a dedicated electronic hour meter you can purchase a plug in watt-hour meter/timer from here, http://www.promolife.com/products/killawatt.htm
Or elsewhere for a better price. As I don't have a service manual yet I am not sure of the power draw for your unit. These meters typically handle up to 1875 watts with a max of 15 amps. Hope this helps

Jesse

Unregistered guest
Mr. Lynch - Thanks you for the manual. Any comments on my problem?

TColeman
Unregistered guest
Please help!
I am only able to get 2 digital channels to come in (when I push the D/A button). I can get all channels on the analog side and changing the input to Digital in, but there is loud static when switching channels. Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks in advance for any help or advise.

Bronze Member
Username: Ffb

Post Number: 18
i went to brandsmart in miami and was told that they offer a 4 year warranty on proj. tv's including the jvc .
this warranty covers the bulb for 4 years and costs $ 400.

i have not seen it in writing ,but will ask for it when i get the 1080 set

Sam J
Unregistered guest
It's been 1 yr. now that I bought my JVC from BB.
with a July 2004 date stamped on it. Average useage about 4 hr/day. It has run perfectly! Only regret I have is the price I paid. The local Sears store has a closeout price of $1800 on last years model.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Speaking of warranties, when I purchased my set I realized I could pick up Mack Warranties through my job at a discounted price. Without sounding like a commercial, if anyone would like a discounted price on a Mack Warranty for their set (TV and Bulb), please call my work for details and ask for Brian at 866-827-3489. Must be within 30 days of your purchase date. If I'm out of line in doing this, feel free to delete the post, but I am just trying to help people out as people have helped me here.

By the way, my set is GREAT! I still need to get the Service Manual from someone...please send to uhcoogbp@swbell.net whenever convenient.

At this point, I'm just trying to figure out what service provider to go with for the most HD content and value for the $$$. I've currently got Dish Network, but looking into Time Warner and DirecTV.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 821
I'm in the same boat as Sam J. I purchased my set 51 weeks ago and after some early issues, it has been perfect. 4+ hours a day, and nothing but great performance. My only complaint is the same as Sam's. The JVC was selling for over 3k last year, now you can find it for under 2k. I do think the last year of HDTV bliss was well worth it though.

Shon-

Can you post a pic? Have you tried a different set of cables?

Bronze Member
Username: Mike_mike

Waldorf, Maryland

Post Number: 16
I may have missed it on here, but there is a recall out on sets sold between July 04 and Jan 05.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/recalls04/2005/jvc.html

Terry S.
Unregistered guest
After following this thread for a long time, I finally purchased a JVC 56 inch last week , and I am extremely happy with it. Many many thanks to everyone (especially Mr. Lynch) for their input into this very informative thread.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 822
Mike Mike-

The recall is what JVC called an "upgrade". It only affects sets built before November 04 and it is an inhouse repair. My set was effected, and it took 20 minutes at the most for the swap to be made. JVC even said you could still use your set while waiting for the "upgrade". I'd rank the severity of it about a 1 on a scale of 10. Even my local repair guy didn't think it was very necessary when he replaced the part on mine.

pduggins
Unregistered guest
I would appreciate some clarification. I have the 52z575 fed by an HD Tivo receiver. The connection is via HDMI (video and audio). I see no other optical audio input to the JVC. I also have a Panasonic home theater receiver that unfortunately does NOT have an optical digital input (only 2 channel). Therefore, I am not able to pass digital audio to the receiver and must live with stereo and/or dolby surround only?

Does the JVC process digital audio via the HDMI? If so, how do you outout either to external speakers or home theater?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 823
There is no reason to go though the TV for sound unless you use the built in speakers. Since there are only 2 speakers, the HDMI input on the "Z" series does not need to support multichannel sound. The Digital Audio out on the Tivo should be ran directly to the reciever. I believe the newer "G" series TVs have an optical out, but either way you still need the input on your reciever.

Username: 1red1

Vancouver, WA

I have a 52" 585 and recently I started having problems with the convergence, I think if I could get the service manual may be I could fix it.

Could someone share their manual?

thanks

rojo11@excite.com

Username: Wearenotalone69

Gentlemen,

First post here... Just purchased a JVC HD-61z575 from Sams Club. Price override was done since the unit was not working. (Unit was not "code 2". meaning previously sold at "retail".. Code 2 items have no warranty... because code 2's are "returns".)

Bulb is blown.

Unit was a floor model.

Receipt shows Sam's item number as it should.... 61 inch Tv & Stand.

My question is... Is JVC going to try to wiggle out of honoring the warranty? ( I think it's sort of "low" for mfg's to try to wiggle out of honoring a floor models warranty, seeing how that floor model made THEM money! (Sales).

What are my chances, in calling JVC's toll free number... and requesting a replacement bulb be shipped?

I would assume this would save them the cost of a service call... (I really don't trust the "listed" repair shop. Next shop is like 97, or 150 miles away!... see below- Sorry for the rant, but it took 8 or 9 months!!!! to get a working TV set, and MANY hours of my time!!!).... So the idea of getting them to ship out a replacement bulb looks good to me indeed!

The last Big Screen TV I bought (From Sams, not working, floor model) Took about 8 months to get a replacement/ working tv! First set was in the shop awaiting parts about 5 months!!! (digital convergence board). The ONLY way I got one was by calling Toshiba headquarters DIRECTLY, leaving voice mails for some big-wigs up there.

I got a return phone call from the HEAD of Customer Service.... and only after talking with her was a digital convergence board "found". Part arrived next morning. Got set back a week later... convergence all screwed up ... and convergence board died a day later. Set goes back... They end up admitting they can't "fix"
it..... So I call the head of Toshiba CS.... and a replacement set is finally approved (Bought set in August... think I got it back the first time a few days after THANKSGIVING!.. and then it died again!)

About a month goes by since set#2 had to go about 1,000 miles thru several terminals, each time being loaded, unloaded, and sitting for a few days each time.. Ended up going way up north, then back tracking to me 800 miles... Bouncing in the truck the whole way. (I offered to pick up replacement from factory in Tennessee, about 150 miles.)

2nd set upon arrival is wrong model, we agreed on XYZ model and they shipped the wrong one. When the shippers took it out of the box, the screen came off, chipping the case. (case of 1st set was damaged by Service facility... I helped the guy load it up at Sam's... unit was perfect.... Swung by there about an hour later... and the guy had strapped it down too tight, breaking the housing (LOL) Thing is they just went down the interstate about 2 miles to the shop, smooth payment, no hills.. and they broke the case.)

Anyhow, 2nd set screen comes off, chips case. Screws "had" been there, Factory tech left them out (refurb?)...
Called the head of CS. She said the set I got had the same specs as the one we had talked about- IT did NOT... and was NOT the unit we agree upon.... So she agreed to ship the set we had agreed upon earlier.

While waiting on unit #3 (which was air freighted in)... I took the screen off set #2 (easy to do with NO screws to hold it on).. Good thing I did because the first surface mirror had a foot long greasy arm print.. and the CRT lenses had finger prints, and crap all down in the lenses. Cleaned, tweaked , calibrated unit.. while waiting for other unit to ship/arrive.

About two weeks later, unit #3 arrives.... and guess what...the next day the digital convergence board goes out!!!!!

When I get set #3 back... it dies the next day...

In addition HV (High Voltage) wiring was NOT routed back right after "tech" worked on unit. (Before it left the first time I took pictures of the inside of the unit.) From the factory the wiring was routed thru stand-offs, etc... After the "repair", wiring looked like a "rats-nest"... a fire hazard.... Called the head of CS... Told her, besides the unit not working, the convergence being way off, lines wavy, etc... the wiring was a "fire" just waiting to happen.... (I'm sure it's not "good" to have HV leads laying just any ole place on the board, inside of being another in stand-offs).

Because of such requested another shop. Shop#2 said $400+ to fix, so Toshiba agree (about 5 months at this point) to ship ANOTHER replacement set. (set #4)

Srt $4 arrives, shippers damage case while moving from lift gate, to barely inside my door.... Straight shot, about 30 feet, level.... and no lifting because I put in a handicap ramp for the little step up there was.

Set #4 working fine... tweaked it...

Total time about 8+ months...

Now I have the JVC.... and I'm sort of not wanting to let that shop touch it, if I can help it.

Any input would be GREATLY Appericated.

PS: Mr Lynch.. .. I sent you a PM with my gmail account. Please send me a copy of the SERVICE MANUAL at your earliest opportunity.

Thanks!

Unregistered guest
Hi I just purchased the JVC HD 56G786. LOVE IT! Except for the FAN NOISE. It's not horrible, but it's always there. When you are watching a quiet scene, there is the fan in the background. Any suggestions? I bought at BB and I understand they have a 30 return policy. Any suggestions on another type of TV that won't have the fan noise? Thanks

Bronze Member

Before buying my set, I read about all of the people having trouble with the fan noise, and quite frankly, after owning the 52G886 for a week now, I've not noticed the fan noise at all.

By the way, this TV really rocks. I've got an antenna hooked up right now for locals in HD, but I have the Dish Network folks coming out on Saturday to upgrade me to their HD Service...can't wait!

parts unknown
Unregistered guest
WeAreNotAlone69
You better be getting a really good deal with those tv's to go thru all that hassle. How much did they charge you for the jvc?

Brian Birner,

There is a thread about "fan noise" and how to address that problem. Ran across it last night.. don't have a link to it, but there is a thread with ALL kinds of ways to addrress fan noise.

PS: If you want a set that makes NO noise... I happen to have a mint condition Toshiba 57H81..,It is in like-new condition, VERY low hours, used ONLY to watch movies, Since day one plugged into a UPS.

I keep Power turned OFF to unit while unit is NOT being watched, running it thru the UPS ($2,500 retail).. and then thru a surge strip which I use to turn power off to unit, while keeping power to other components in my A/V set-up.

All TV sets these days (since about 1968-1971? with "REAL" on-off switches) have power to the board while turned off, and keep the tubes pre-heated for "instant on". This decreases the life span of the unit.

(Average house gets like 50-100 lightening strikes/surges per day -Good UPS is a must these days!!!)

The only reason I would be selling the Toshiba being the fact I currently have a 1,200 sf house which is PACKED (double stacked furnture, tools, etc) and I need the room... and I'm in the process of trying to find land to build a house (by myself, Stone, Structural Steel, Concerte) and need to get some stuff out so I can remodel the house I currently have.

BTW: I even have the box, and all the packing material. (You are welcome to pick up the set in person.)

RE:
You better be getting a really good deal with those tv's to go thru all that hassle. How much did they charge you for the jvc?

parts unknown,

Paid $1000 for the 61z575.... wondering if JVC is going to give me the run-around.. since it was a floor model. Price of the same item, with SAME Sams Club item number (67117)as on my receipt is $2999.48

Have you, or Anyone hear know for sure how they "address" the warranty on floor models????.. Sam's Club said since it was a price-over ride, and NOT a code 2 item (a customer return) that the mfg warranty would apply.

NoFool
Unregistered guest
You get what you pay for. Go on the cheap and expect to pay!

parts unknown
Unregistered guest
WeAreNotAlone-
As long as your receipt shows the proper item number and price, I don't think JVC would even question you about it being a floor model.
Just tell them that you purchased the set on xx date and the bulb went. That's it. There is also an "upgrade" that needs to be done on some of these sets that causes premature bulb failure, your's may fall into that category.
Search this for "recall" or "ballast" and I think you'll find it.

Mr. Lynch,

I see where you have provided a users manual for some of the other posters. I would really appreciate getting one as well. I have the HD52Z575. My e-mail address is tel51@excite.com

Thanks!

Parts Unknown,

Receipt shows proper item number.. just doesn't show the "retail" $2999.48 price :-)

Purchased the unit two days ago...

On the upgrade, thanks for the tip. My unit was mfg'd January 2005... so it is outside the range of the recalled units. (PS: on that recall/ upgrade you're talking about.... I thought that was for some type of fire hazard???)... IS there an "upgrade" for something that will increase bulb life????????

My main concern is warranty service... and hopefully having JVC just ship me a bulb. I think once I call them and tell them my last big screen that needed servicing took 8 months and 4 tv sets and the SAME "Service Center" that couldn't fix the Toshiba's is the nearest Service Center is going to be the one they want to send out I would think getting a bulb shipped out isn't going to be a big deal. (for anyone with half a brain)

I would think after explaining to them that the last set "serviced" cost Toshiba $150- to $180 for shipping on the #2 unit, $327 shipping on the #3 unit, and about $327 to $340 shipping on the 4th, and final unit, and not even counting the charges to Toshiba for the "attempted" repairs to unit #1, and unit #3 which I' sure were several hundred dollars each in labor, and the cost of the parts they would be more that happy to Fed-Ex me a bulb, since this is a known issue to go bad on these units.. and the fact the part is user replaceable. The ONLY reason I could see them NOT shipping a bulb would be in cases were say the "fans" were not working properly, and they wanted their "tech" to verify proper fan operation after bulb replacement.

To me the most cost effective thing for them to do would be to ship a bulb... since the cause of the bulb going bad was more than likely due to improper shutdown. I would assume that Sams Club at the end of the "retail" night just kills the power to all the TV's at one time.. so the bulb got "cooked".

Warranty states on what is NOT covered on line 9: Products used for commercial purposes, including, but not limited to rental.

Before the purchase I Talked with several managers at SAMS, each one saying the mfg would apply....(unit was as-is so far as they were concerned, but mfg warranty would apply) So I should be "ok", but just want to have all my bases covered before calling JVC so the warranty claim is not denied. After spending so much time on the last big screen..... I was hoping someone here would have some info on "who" , or a "special" number to call to call at JVC... As you know in life allot of times it is "who" you talk to.

I'm sure others here have bought FLOOR MODELS...... I would be very interested in hearing how JVC honored their claim. To me having a Floor Model that sells say 100 sets, at a net profit of $1,000, 1,500, or $2,000 per set and needs to be repaired should be covered as well. That set by being a floor model generated allot of money for them.

Some mfg's try to wiggle out of honoring warranty claims on floor models... That is what concerns me.

I am ready for a fight if needed... Regardless of the amount paid for the unit, vs the retail cost... Sams club paid the same amount to JVC for the unit I have, as one in the box. Sam's club took the loss, marking the unit down to clearance it out.

Post Number: 5
RE: You get what you pay for. Go on the cheap and expect to pay!

No Fool,

????????????

So if you pay $2,999.48... the service center all of the sudden knows what they are doing????? They can fix it the first time (or even the second, or third time)... in a timely manner?

Post Number: 6
Just in case anyone's interested.. Just called JVC.. Somehow I connnected to a gentlemen on the Pro side.(Which I was hoping to do)... Explained to him that I was trying to save him a service call...$$$$$$

He took my name, model, and serial number.. and when asked when I could expect delivery... He said he'd overnight the blub (TS-CL110U).

Didn't have to fight.. He did ask me date of purchase (two days ago).. I told him unit appeared to be functioning properly... Upon applying power, and pressing power button blue light and fan comes on... then after about 20 seconds both the blue power light,and the red lamp light rapidly flash in sync... with the fan turning OFF.)

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 824
The "upgrade" had nothing to due with the bulb. Ther is a small connector that could come loose, short out, and start a fire. 2 cases out of 30,000 sets is what caused the recall.

Anyone that every has a bulb go out under warranty should call JVC directly. They will overnight you a new bulb, but may ask that you send the bad one back. I had to use a credit card to insure that I wasn't trying to scam a new bulb. They didn't charge me anything, but said they would if they did not recieve the bad bulb. If you go though a repair shop it migh ttake a week to get the part.

WeAreNotAlone69-

JVC will cover your floor model with the full warranty. I bought a floor model JVC Palmcorder and I had no issues getting a reapair done when I accidentally snapped a piece off.

parts unknown
Unregistered guest
That's good to know, I was just going by what you said on March 15th...

"Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 08:32 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Frank-

when my bulb went out last month (7 months old), the first thing the tech told me over the phone was "the ballast board might be bad, sometimes they arc and blow the bulb". He put a new bulb in first and everything has run fine,but I do believe the board has something to do with the premature bulb death.
I'm now waiting for the "upgrade", but still enjoying the TV. If the bulb comes first, have them swap it. Even if it blew again, they would send another right away. Might as well try to get some TV while waiting for the new board. "

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 825
Back then I though the ballast board might be the recall part. The recall sounded close to problem the tech told me about the ballast board.

When I watch the recall repair, it turned out to be another small little black box that contained a poorly soldered part. I remember it was on top of the light engine and was held on with 2 screws. If you look at page 13 of the service manual, I believe it was the thermostat unit that was replaced in recall. I could be wrong...

Username: Ts440s

Mr. Lynch
Would you send me a copy of the service manual. Email address is mplatt@ev1.net
Thanks

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 827
Mel-
It's on the way!

Bronze Member

Gentlemen,

Replacement Bulb arrived today... and the thing actually WORKS!,

Initially there was NO sound .. Turned out CENTER CHANNEL was ON.(duh)

Trying to get into SERVICE MODE..(actually trying to enter "SELF CHECK MODE").
Remote set to [TV], and [VCR]... pressed the [SLEEP TIMER] key, displays 30 minutes, then pressed[VIDEO STATUS], and the [DISPLAY] key simultaneously.. SERVICE MENU should appear, right?

Tried selecting 30 minutes on the sleep timer, then pressing 'OK", and then hitting the other keys...

What's the "trick"?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Must be a TYPO in the SERVICE MANUAL.... on page 29 about the self-check it says 30 minutes... on page 19 it's saying 0.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Ah, fiqured it out, you have to press [VIDEO STATUS], and the [DISPLAY] key simultaneously..

WHILE the SLEEP TIMER is STILL displayed.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
OK... because of a blub failure... are these values NORMAL?

Getting ready to clear the error codes...
Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
OK.. RESET the codes.... using built in tuner of TV itself to tune OTA stations (NO HD TUNER hooked up, nor ANYTHING else.)

SYNC M:NG
S:NG
HD: NG

Are the NG's being displayed NORMAL??????

Upload

Username: Rrd888

Indianapolis

Mr. Lynch,

Please send me the service manual to rrd8881@comcast.net

THANK YOU!

Username: Fkubick

Post Number: 9
I've noticed a potential problem and I need some advice. I have the 575 model (August '04 build).

My settings for HD (Theater Mode using HDMI) are:

Red (S030): 113
Green (S031): 124
Blue (S032): 128
Tint: 0
Color: -05
Picture: 0
Brightness: 0
Detail: -07
Color Temp: Low
Color Management: On
Dynamic Gamma: On
Digital Noise: Off

What I've noticed is that when watching darker programs I sometimes, not always, see a small blue or purple tint in the darkest part of an image. For example, when watching the Sopranos and Tony is wearing dark clothes (shirt, sport coat) I'll see a blue dot the size of a quarter on his shirt sometimes. I also see a slight bluish tint on his facial shadows. I have seen it on other programs but rarely.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Is it a known deficiency (black levels) or is it something adjustable through the remote settings? Would I have to go into the service manual adjustments or even to get calibration?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This is not a big problem but one of those things that just keeps bugging you until you find a solution. TIA.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Frank,

Have you done a FULL
Focus adjustment?
CONVERGANCE adjustment?

(PS: Just got my set working yesterday.... if the convergance adjustment is as described it is EASY, EASY, EASY compared to a CRT based RPTV)

Got to ask, Who here has done the focus adjustment, and how is the focus knob accessed?????

(page 24 of service manual)

Have you taken the screen off and inspected inside of cabinet/lense/mirrors? to see if anything is amiss? (dirty maybe?)

Check out this link:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/155323.html

And this one: http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/learnabout/generaltips/blacklevel/blacklevel_duve tyne.html

May give you some ideas.

On the above site, check out the "tips" (left hand side of page.

Have you tried moving around the room lighting?

PS: POST back the fix once you get if fiqured out. If it was a CRT set it sort of sounds like the convergance is slightly off?????? Crap on, OR in the lenses, leakage from the light box... or a "shiney" spot inside the cabinet reflecting light... Something along those lines.

Username: Danmurphy

Chicago

Hi -

I'm a newbie to this board, so I apologize in advance for any "stupid" questions.

Currently, I am living in the stone age with a 27" Zenith CRT (remember when Zenith was THE name in TVs?) My input comes from a rooftop antenna. I live in the Chicago area; all channels come in great with the exception of Channel 2 (CBS), which is OK. I use the set for over-the-air broadcasts, or DVDs/VHS movies (no XBox or other games). The time has come to enter the 21st century...

I've been looking at various sets in the stores on and off for months, and just noticed the JVC LCoS sets at Best Buy. WOW! The picture looked great! They had a HD56G786 for $2999, which included the stand, and they had a floor model HD52Z575 for $1799 (no stand). 52" is big enough, but is the G model that much better than the Z model?

I want to stress that I don't want to get a set that has a worse picture than what I already have on my 20-year-old CRT. This old Zenith has had a pretty darn good picture, and has never needed any repairs. I don't want to get cable/satellite/dish. Will regular broadcasts look worse on a bigger set? Some say that they will, that the flaws are magnified on the bigger set, so that the picture quality will suffer. I'm not really a videophile (obviously), I just want to come home, turn on the set, and watch some shows on a fantastic looking set where the picture quality is better than what I have now!

So... thoughts on the $2999 HD56G786 vs the $1799 HD52Z575? Other thoughts/warnings for me as I venture into this new technology?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
RE: Will regular broadcasts look worse on a bigger set?

Dan,

Yes things are going to look worse on a bigger set. The bigger the set, the more obvious the defects. (The more you blow up the picture the worse it gets)

You need to get a HD tuner (You can receive SOME HD OTA (free) broadcasts with it, and buy a GOOD DVD player to fully enjoy a Big Screen.

Another thing to consider is HOW FAR you will be sitting from the screen... (There are charts on the net somewhere that give guidelines for the BEST viewing distances from each size set....

In a bigger room, the bigger display will look better than a smaller room in which you are closer to the set.

For example (just making up these fiqures).... You could be as CLOSE AS 8 ft to a 52... and the 57 you'd have to be 11 ft away to get the same amount of clarity.

The point I'm trying to make is bigger is not always "better". The room has to be bigger... and the bigger the set the more defects are blown up. The bigger the set the more you need a good signal source. Reg TV broadcasts for the most part look like CRAP the bigger the screen.

(TIP: If watching a reg tv broadcast, have two hot looking women, one on each side of you.... Makes you forget how crappy the picture is :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Gentlemen...

Is there any way to adjust overscan/strech ... for each of the differant modes?

Username: Plasmatvman

the HD52Z575 dlp tv is a great unit. I got mine at http://www.plasmahouse.com for a great price.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
This is a V1 Smart Input question.
I have had this feature off for quite awhile. I have my satellite receiver hooked up to Video 1 inputs (yellow red and white). I also had an "S" input cable (about 25 feet) attached to the TV video 1 connection, but not connected to any device. Just strung out. I now find that I have to have V1 Smart Input "ON" in order to get a picture and sound. If I remove the "S" cable I can turn V1 Smart Input off. Is something starting to happen to the set?

Got any tech info
Unregistered guest
Username: Plasmatvman
Full Name: plasma tv
Last Logged In: August 29, 2005
Total Posts: 8

"the HD52Z575 dlp tv is a great unit. I got mine at http://www.plasmahouse.com for a great price."

SO.... do you work, own, or otherwise have a finanical interest in the above website?

Got any tech (servicing) info on these units?

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
We,

I have done a focus of my JVC. It's not hard to do. You need to remove both the left and right speaker grills. Then you remove the front plate on the TV to access the focus lever area. You loosen the focus lever using a hex wrench and then slide the lever left to right to focus. Once you have it completed, tighten the hex nut and reassemble.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
tvshopper,

I was thinking it was along those lines, looking at the service manual , and guessing about how the light engine is mounted.

Am very curious about "how" the chips are mounted. My RED is slightly off via the service manual convergance.

Addtionally I'm interested in getting into the video display modes to enter my own data. (Translation ZOOM, etc is too much/ too big, or too small, would like to adjust so peoples head are cut off, etc.)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
One more thing I'd like to adjust the contrast /brightness to the ZERO setting with MY settings for each... Anyone here done the same?

(Keeps idiots from running the contrast all the way up... And keeps the wife from saying things... If everything was at ZERO at the prefered settings... that would keep her from making coments on everything being on the "low" side.

I would assume that lowering the contrast, lowers the voltage, and hence brightness, and heat generated by the blub....(TS-CL110U).... If that is the case I would assume this would increase the lifespan of the blub... Wondering is that is the case with the type of blub being used...

Username: Ozbosley

Nevada City, CA

Finally going to pull the trigger on a 52G this week. This forum has been an incredible research source. Thanks to all.

Mr. Lynch, if possible, would greatly appreciate a service manual at your convenience. bosley@cwnet.com

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 829
Fred,

It is on the way!

Unregistered guest
Mr Lynch, would you mind sending me a copy of the service manual? I have 56g786. Please send it to mmahon@nyc.rr.com and matthew.a.mahon@verizon.com (my personal account may not have enough room for the pdf).
Thanks!

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 831
NYCmatt-

It is on the way! If I sold these for a $1, my TV would be paid off by now :-)

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 833
I'm sure most of you read other threads in this forum and have had the misfortune of seeing "Tom Bong" flame everything with his "CRT is great, everything else is trash" rants. I decided to poke a little fun at him. Check this out...
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/158710.html

Username: Geek_girl

Mr. Lynch, would you please send me that popular service manual? Please send to corinna3@gmail.com Thank you so much!

Username: Geek_girl

Thanks for the manual, Mr. Lynch!; Now, would anyone have any idea why my 56G786 connected to a Dish 811 HD receiver, drops the sound for about a second, every 5-6 seconds? It only does this on the Digital Input. (I'm using a DVI to HDMI cable for picture and RCA/composite cables for sound). It also happens when I hook the DVD player to the Digital IN on the TV. What could be wrong? Any ideas? Thanks.

Naxx300ZX
Unregistered guest
Hey Yall, I work at Best Buy and i just talked to the JVC rep today, they sayin that they are gonna push back the 1080P series. So the new HF series wont be comin out the end of this month :-(. And if yall are lookin to get a tv, best buy is havin an REALLY GOOD interest free this Sunday. Hint Hint

Username: Craig_corcoran

Preparing for Sept5th EA Fantasy Football Draft via my laptop and the HD52Z575. I have checked the forum and cannot find out how to make the laptop/TV connections. I would appreciate any suggestions. BTW, have had the JVC since May (with a HDMI Sony DVD player) with no issues at all. Just plug and play perfection! Again, would appreciate laptop connection help to the TV. Thanks

Username: Rkfloyd

Austin, TX USA

Just found this forum... lots of good into.

I bought the HD61Z575 in late April. After about 4 months I noticed that the screen didn't seem as bright. Then the bulb went out.

I called JVC and they sent a free replacement bulb very quickly and replacing it was simple.

However I am concerned with the short bulb life. I estimated that I had approximately 600 hrs on the set. Hopefully, the replacement will last closer to the advertized 6000 hrs.

The invoice that came with the bulb listed a cost of $186. That would be too much to spend 3 times a year.

The JVC rep said the replacement bulb should last a lot longer... I hope she is right.
--

Username: Rzm

SoCal

Post Number: 8
My 52z575 is 8 months old. In the last 2 months I have noticed scan lines when the image makes a quick cut between scenes that drastically change in color/contrast from the previous scene. The problem is a brief combing or feathering effect of horizontal lines at the edges of objects as they change to the new image. The problem occurs with all sources hd/sd and from all inputs comp/hdmi.

Has anyone experienced or delt with this?

Still love the JVC...awesome pic/price ratio and still haven't seen anything better in this class.

FltLvl54
Unregistered guest
Mr. Lynch, I'm about to pull the trigger on a 52G786. If you aren't too tired of these requests, would you please send me JVC service manual? Please send to gmccollom@yahoo.com. Thank you very much!

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 839
FLT-

I can send it out Tuesday, it is on my work PC.

Username: Craig_corcoran

Any tips for Computer Laptop to HD52Z575 connections... need the ability to maintain image quality on the big screen. Thanks!

Username: B0b0

Colorado

Mr. Lynch, your excellent guidance and (apparently) endless patience is much appreciated. At your convenience, please send an HD-52G786 service manual to bobo@gazizza.com. Thank you!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us