Question about the technology.

fred bailey
Unregistered guest
I have had a 32" Sanyo for the past 8 years and am looking to replace it as the picture may be failing. I have the room for a larger screen and would like some input on which technology will be the best. Should I buy another 32" regular TV and wait or is this a good time to buy an HD technology? Where is the best place to buy one if so?

fx
Unregistered guest
Tom Bong would recommend a DLP but many others prefer CRT's.

xvxvxvx

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 1644
It's extremely obvious he prefers quite the opposite.

If I could make a recommendation, it would be to get an LCD that is not a rear projection-type unit. Plasma displays lose half their brightness over a period of less than two years and are very susceptible to burn in...

A regular CRT might just be the way to go, Sony makes some excellent CRT based units (once again, I say avoid rear projection). One of my most favorite CRT units would have to be the Sony KD-30XS955, it might possibly also be available in a 32" size as well...

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 622
Jexx is right and he's wrong.

He is right about my opinion to save your money and do NOT buy any lamp based TV. The lamps coat $200 and up and do not last. Read this forum and others.Pay attention to the issues and the quality of service and dontime of these sets. Your eyes will be opened.

Jexx is wrong about Plasma. If you get a Plasma that is rated at 40,000 hours to half life You will get 6 1/2 years of 24 hour ontime IF the TV goes HALF as long as it is rated. Burn in is an over exagerated issue as well. Read the forums. don't take my word for anything. LCD is a nice choice as well from what I have read and seen.BUT you will need a bigger screen than 32" Just to watch SDTV at your current size.

Good Luck. and READ these threads.

My advice is to buy yourself an inexpensive RPCRT and wait about three years. You are already going to give up some quality on non HD content. But DVDs will look as good or better. I am confdent the $1500 you save will buy you a nice 50" fixed pixel non lamp based TV in three years.

Otherwise head to Wal Marrt and buy another 32" Standard TV for $200 and wait a little longer. It only has to last till 1/2009 when the DTV mandate kicks in. NEVER buy an Extended Warranty on anyTV (or anything). If you feel you are afraid not to buy one. Pass on the technology. You have to be confidant about what you are uying becasue if you are not about the first three years how can you possibly in years 4-10?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1648

quote:

Jexx is wrong about Plasma.

Biased are we, Tom? :P

Burn in really is a serious issue, if you leave the TV on overnight with a bright white channel logo in the bottom corner, you're risking at least a slight ghosting effect.

It's funny because I've seen older plasmas that have obviously lost a great deal of their brightness. Be aware that these were used quite often. In addition, manufacturer specs should never be trusted...

Silver Member

Post Number: 626
Yes I read the forums, There are hardly any posts from people with either issue. You would have had to see those Plasmas two years earlier to make a fair comparison. EVEN if the manufactuer specs were QUARTERED you would still get three years at 24 hours a day!! I have tons more faith in Plasma then Lamp based TVs. Based on what I have read from those who own both on these forums. You just are not readiing about those issues on these forums. Certainly not like the lamp based crap.

BTW I have a low end cheap plasma in the BR and have left it on a few times Overnight on FOX news!!! No burn in yet.

I do not baby my TVs. Never have. I leave my Toshiba RPTV on most of the time without pic and sound. Its 8 years old and still going great.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1650
Surprising, I really have seen Plasma's with burn in, possibly just because the people didn't know about it and it was brand new (more susceptible).

Overall, Plasmas are a slightly older technology than DLP etc. But still fairly immature. We'll see what happens with them in the next few years.

Right now, honestly, I haven't seen enough units to make a final decision. They still fall in my questionable technology category. Especially with the cost of their repairs...

quote:

I have tons more faith in Plasma then Lamp based TVs

Now that I agree on.

Silver Member

Post Number: 630
The only place I have seen burn in on a plasma is at the airport. All the new TVs are crapshoots. I would not buy any of these Tvs anywhere but Costco.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1651
What, the cheap LCD and Plasma displays?

Those have to be the worst investment I have EVER seen...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us