Toshiba or Samsung DLP ? Which Is King?

RAPTORS04
Unregistered guest
Which one would you choose if you had to decide?

The Samsung HL-R6168W DLP

http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?eUser=&pr od_id=HLR6168WX%2fXAA

or

Toshiba 62HM84 DLP

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/televisions/product.asp?model=62hm84 )

Narrowed it down to those 2 .. going nuts trying to decide on a tv haha didn't think it would be this much work :-)

any comments would be great,
Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Klaus

Holiday, FL USA

Post Number: 81
The Samsung will be the best choice.1080p vs 720 p on the Toshiba. Less chance of obsolescence with new formats.

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 523
Neither RP DLP is not a 7-10 year TV technology.

Silver Member
Username: Dlp4me

Post Number: 181
Bullshit, tom.
You don't have proof for that statement.

DMD could well be a 20 to 30 year technology.
I can show you proof of that possibility.

http://www.dlp.com/dlp_technology/images/dynamic/white_papers/153_Reliability_pa per.pdf

Silver Member

Post Number: 530
Ok So the DMD chip lasts 50 years while the color engine (becasue motors do fail) needs to be replced every three and the lamp every two. NOw there is some misleading jargon saying the DMD chip COULD in theory last 20 years when it is part of an assembly that clearly will and can not......

Keep trying. Your on a roll, TI boy!

Silver Member

Post Number: 186
You're certainly not!
Nothing you say is believable.

Where is the DLP thread for repeated color wheel failures?

Where is the DLP thread for repeated lamp failures?

Please supply links, dumbass!

Silver Member

Post Number: 536
OMG There is not enough room for all the cries for help on those issues. Do your own research people.

The information is there. All you have to do is dig it up. I did. Read just the thread headings. Then read the number of posts within those headings . Then read those posts and then you will see all the ME TOO words....

At least they will find MY examples. You are just sspouting of company talking points!

My proof is right here. Just read. Yours is "pie in the sky"

Bronze Member
Username: Helpful_smurf

Post Number: 81
If you want to support your feeble viewpoint Tom, Put up or shut up.
Why do I think you'll do neither.....

Credibiliy and repetition are two different things, tough luck for you.

Silver Member

Post Number: 538
Oh look who's back. Another Shill..sales dweeb at Best Buy. I do not need to put up what's already here in spades. LOL

The source of my viewpoint is MORE then reflected by many many others on this very forum. All one has to do is click on these threads in this very forum and they will find a glut of proof of my viewpoints. If they do not want to do that...Well I will be reading of their cries for help here as well.

Now answer this Smurf boy. Why does the same 3 year Extended Warranty at Best Buy for $400 sell at Wal Mart for $180? Why does Costco have a 5+ year return policy on the same TVs and charge nothing? There's a question who's answer you will not find here.

Silver Member

Post Number: 191
The threads, tom.
Where are those links I asked for?
You can't produce them because they don't exist.
You're a bullshiter, tom. Nothing more!

Silver Member

Post Number: 545
Oh they are there no they are here and there. Here is the best link I can find. Do the rest your selves.https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/15131.html

Look at the number of posts in the ISSUE threads..all the "ME TOO" posts within those threads. You are acting like this is a specific needle in the haystack problem LOL

All one has to do is read down the list and notice the amount of poats within the issue threads. Its very simple really.

A FOOL could find 25 issues in 2 minutes on this board only!!! Obviously you cannot!

Silver Member

Post Number: 194
You intellectualy impotent types are fun to mess with, tom! Since you seem to keep repeating yourself to stay in the forefront of the forum, let me assure you that I can do the same.

There are over 5 million DLP's in service from over 75 makers, and you group a few glitches from two forums, form a shallow, narrow minded opinion, and crusade to pan a truly wonderful display revolution. You haven't even owned one yet, but they're all chopped liver to you. Your effort to compare CRT to lamp projector technology and then claim that consumable lamps in DLP's are proof of a flawed technology is absurd. I see where you whine about millions of flipping mirrors, but I can't find a failed DMD chip thread. You cry about spinning color wheels, but I can't find the failed color wheel thread, either. I see where you have grouped Panasonic LCD lamp failures and Sony LCD display failures in with DLP to form your opinions. Honest objectivity is absent from your determinations. You may have convinced yourself that DLP is not one of the highest quality displays in the history of display technology and that's fine. Preaching your non-objective fabricated bulshit opinions on others to the extent that you have (530 posts since July) is a whole new twisted motivation that many folks will find disturbing. Perhaps you should consult a professional shrink about this bizzar obsession of yours.

I'm all for anyone choosing the product they want. Makes no difference to me. Until D-ILA LCOS is a faster refreshing proven technology, I'm of the opinion that the DLP display is the absolute best available on the market today. It's a brilliant, sharp, clear, accurately colorful experience with the right signal put to it. It can't even be matched by anything out there in my opinion.

DLP is the superior and preferred projection technology of professional Cinemas. They have billions invested to display content the way that producers and directors intended. With 35 trillion colors (8 times more than film) and no fade or flutter it has surpassed film in reproductive display quality. Having a mini version of that in my home has been an incredible pleasure for me. I highly reccommend that anyone interested in having the very best in home theater consider a beautiful DLP display of their choice. Compliment that with a quality surround sound system and pop some corn. Reasonably priced home theater doesn't get any better!

Silver Member

Post Number: 550
SPAM......Now the TI shill is SPAMMING in desperation. He has no message. Just spammed company talking points

You fooled a few into your we of deciet but many smarter ones will research on their own and discover their truth and mine. DLP is the "LAser Disc " of the millenium and 2006 will be the peak of their sales. the word is getting out how expensive they are to won, How long they are not useable waiting for service or even a lamp,

But they do have the deepest blacks during that long wait for help anyway!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 202
I can articulate a readable message, you miserable moron!

I'm not a T.I. employee.
I don't hold a single share of stock in T.I. either.

It's just more of your fabricated bullshit!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 84
That does seem to be his specialty. He can't back up his arguments with anything remotely resembling actual facts so he just tries to undercut anyone who does not agree with them by attacking their credibility. It might work on the stupid (or as Tom calls them the "smarter ones") but anyone with half a brain will see through his Karl Rove tactics in a second.

Silver Member

Post Number: 570
Look at that.......A Best Buy (liberal lol that explains it somewhat) sales dweeb and a former Texas Instuments employee

Neither has a vested interest in the technology and are both extremily unbiased and credible...

Give me a break. Stupid people do not do the research and take a Best Buy Sales Dweebs word as Devine!. Exactly like you want it. Anyone with less then half a brain can see your credibility issue.

Do you own research people. Read the forums.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 89
Damn he's onto me. It's true, Every time someone buys a DLP I get a dollar. And I would have gotten away with it too if it hadn't been for those meddling kids!

Oh alas I am undone! Curse you Tom Bong!

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 1630
I think it's more about perspective, really. Working at Best Buy, you see everything brand new with little chance to fail...

Silver Member
Username: Hd_fanatic

Boise, ID

Post Number: 113
It's true that most BB employees are not that knowledgable. (not saying HS is in that category)

The first time I went in looking at TV's, (Almost 2 years ago) I was ready to pull the trigger on a 55" Sony. Nothing about bulb changes was ever brought up during the 30 minute spiel. Just before signing on the dotted line, I asked about any maintenance required. The BB employee said, "Oh yeah, the bulb will have to be changed out every 3-4 years." I asked him how much they cost, and he said about 400 bucks, and then proceeded to convince me on buying the EW which covers bulbs, and ironically costs 400 bucks. Hmmm...Go figure... So then I asked him if the bulb could be changed out by the consumer. He said "No, a TV repairman has to come out because the TV has to be re-calibrated after every bulb change." At this point, I set the pen down, and told him that I would have to give the purchase some more thought.

Of course everyone should know that the bulb is replacable by the consumer, it even says so in the manual and shows how to do it. No calibration is necessary after a bulb change. The bulb might be brighter at first, but big deal. Adjust the brightness. Also, when I got home, I looked up replacement bulbs on the internet and found many places that sold them for 200 bucks.

The BB salesman was FULL of lies and mis-information. I now know more than all the salesmen there combined. When companies pay minimum wage or a little above that, you can't expect their employees to be walking encyclopedias. Futhermore, it is my opinion that they are trained to lie to the customers to get them to buy the extended warranties.

I am not making any of this up. It's pure fact. All I can say is if HS is not the typical sales dweeb that I see every time I walk into BB, then he is a rare specimen indeed!

Silver Member

Post Number: 579
They dammn well be walking encyclopedias if they expect me to hand them over $400 nevermind $4000 for a TV. They had better know their product inside and out. They had better have the correct answer for every question. They had better know the pitfalls as well as advantages.

Why expect any less then you get 20 feet away when buying a less expensive refridgerator that costs a lot less and is expected to be around a lot longer. Those guys know their products.

HS is a shill who most likely does not warn customers of the downside. Because according to him there IS NO downside.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 92
Blah blah blah. If you can't win an argument with facts (*or even reason) just smear the opponent. Fact of the matter is I don't have to prove one thing to some loser on a forum.

I do know quite a lot about all home theater products, ALL home theater products, more than I really need to do my job. The so called average Joe comes in day after day and asks me the same questions over and over again. They have no clue whatsoever what HD is or how you get it and I spend on average about 20-30 minutes with each one whether they are planning to buy that day or not telling them about HD source (Cable or Satellite or Over the air?) Tuners, Refresh rates, contrast ratios, lifespan of LCD VS Plasma (LCD wins), What burn in is etc.... I do tell EVERY SINGLE CUSTOMER who is looking at a projection sets about bulbs and even point out where the bulb assembly on each and every one they are interested in is located. I warn them about the expense of cables and often point them at the cheaper ones we carry (especially the HDMI cables, Monster has got the scam of the century going on those since digital is either great or gone, cliff effect ya know).

Not all BB or electronic store employees do what I do at my job. Even guys in my department. But I still do because I believe in doing my best at any job I do, be it printing press operator, Waiter, commercial sculptor or retail electronic sales. I am a rare specimen as HD Fan says and I know it. I have a great time at work and my customers are genuinely thankful for my help and come back and tell me so on an almost daily basis. I actually have "regulars", people who come by once a week just to see what's new in the store and to chat. I got mystery shopped on friday and scored a 95% . That's an A plus baby. That ain't no slacker retail dude phoning it in.

So you say what you want about me Tommy. I know who and what I am and out here in the real world you could never do what I do. And saying that you would not want to doesn't change the fact that you would not last one day on my sales floor. You've got bluster and repetition and a few cutesy catch phrases ( Why yes I do feel pretty lucky, thanks for asking FIFTY TIMES) and really nothing else. I'd put the greenest guy in my department against you on actual Home Theater knowledge any day of the week. You're just a poser.

Silver Member

Post Number: 604
>>>Fact of the matter is I don't have to prove one thing to some loser on a forum.<<<

For someone whjo opened up with that line you sure went on ad nauseum to do exactly the opposite!

How you are different the all the others..the you site your own supporting facts

How you always tell the truth....examples noted.
Evryone else does not do what you you do.....kinda made my point there..but you made yourself look good....as a "rare specimin" You words not mine!

How you have "regulars" OMG Best Buy regulars...now there's something to hang your little yellow and blue hat on!

And yes you know who you are. Im very proud of you but really Smurf. If you were not questioning yourself or indeed feeling slightly less credible.....

You would have quit with your fiirst sentance...

YOur transparacy of self image is clearly displayed by your thesis on who you think you are. Now all you have to wait for are those who you will now need to rehibilate your self image in the followng posts. (I do not think there will be many). I'm rarely wrong.

Bull-Slayer
Unregistered guest
Tom Bong,

You truly are the epitome of and a quintessential douche-bag. While there is no technology to date to challenge that of a "tube TV", you would have to have a hard-on for T.I. or truly be a F*$&#@! moron not to acquiesce that DLP technology is superior to all sans tube TV. Enough of your incessant ramblings and unfounded theories. In short, SHUT THE F*#@ UP! We're sick of it!

hermanv
Unregistered guest
All large screen TV technologies have their weaknesses.

CRT sets never converge as well as HDTV resolution demands (or the convergence drifts) and the CRTs get weaker over time eventually to burn out.

LCD and Plasma get stuck pixels, read your waranty most manufactures consider 8 or fewer stuck pixels not a failure, try staring at those black spots forever. By the way LCD sets have lamps (gasp).

No one really knows what plasma life is, it certainly is not infinite. Estimates range from 2 to 8 years for 50% brigthness reduction, not too good if you shelled out 20 grand. Maybe OK at $2,500

So, you takes your chances. Brand name is also no guarantee, Sony was once king, now their reliability is questionable (on a good day).

Trying to make all this into an absolute black or white position saying one technology or manufacturer is clearly best is infantile. Each has problems each has strengths. The best bang for the buck depends on screen size and brand. If it was crystal clear, everyone would buy that set, that brand and all manufacturers would make them that way. The manufacturers only have their own best interests at heart and will all quickly pile on the superior technology if there was one.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us