DVD-Audio

Silver Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 522
To anyone who values sound quality, and who wishes to use a DVD player for music, such as playing CDs.

Ensure that any new DVD player you buy is capable of playing DVD-Audio.

DVD-Audio, also known as "DVD-A", is, today, the absolute top of the pile for sound quality.

Every DVD-Audio player will also play DVD-Video ("DVD-V") discs and CDs.

Every DVD-Audio disc has DVD-Video tracks, too. So you can already play any DVD-Audio disc, and get excellent sound, on any DVD player.

Try one, and see.

But a DVD-Audio disc played on a DVD-Audio player gives more than excellent sound, it gives fantastic sound.

DVD-Audio renders CD obsolete for sound quality. DVD-Audio is a 5.1 surround format. In addition, most DVD-Audio discs also carry a stereo (2.0) version of the same material.

For technical background, and more information, one clear, accurate summary is from a UK disc manufacturer:-

DVD-Audio Introduction

I am an audio and home cinema/theater enthusiast, with no competing interest, commercial or otherwise, nor any connection with any relevant commercial organisation.

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 117
"Every DVD-Audio disc has DVD-Video tracks, too."

John A - an error perhaps?

Silver Member

Post Number: 118
"Every DVD-Audio disc has DVD-Video tracks, too."

John A

Is this an error or if not, does this mean you can play DVD-A on an ordinary player and just keep the video signal off?

Silver Member

Post Number: 119
John A - what a mess! Please ignore first post.

Silver Member

Post Number: 546
My Rantz,

Thanks. But this proves my point! Even an audio connoiseur like you gets mixed up. The terminology is a total mess.

Anyone with any sort of DVD player should just try any DVD-Audio disc.

It will play. It will sound wonderful.

It is that simple!

Silver Member

Post Number: 120
Sorry John, I am a little confused by your statement. I get the point that DVD-A will play on ordinary players but when you say DVD-A has video tracks - don't you mean audio tracks?

Silver Member

Post Number: 548
My Rantz,

Yes, I was unclear.

I wrote "Every DVD-Audio disc has DVD-Video tracks"

...by which I meant "Every DVD-Audio disc has audio in DVD-Video format, and well as in DVD-Audio format".

That is to say, all DVD-A discs, besides the DVD-A format audio, have the same material either Dolby Digital or DTS, usually both.

Thanks!

Silver Member

Post Number: 123
John A

Most times I write here is when I should be sleeping! Insomnia - good movie - but a bad thing!

Bronze Member
Username: Black_math

Post Number: 49
OK,

Here is a question.

The Pioneer DVD-45A down-samples the digital out from 192kHz or 176.2kHz to 48kHz. Does every DVD-A player do that? If so, wouldn't it be advisible for people to use the 5.1 analog outputs for connection? I ask this because a lot of people opt to use 1 digital cable.

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 120
Ben,

You must use analog outputs for true DVD-A (and SACD). That means connecting 6 separate audio cables from the player to the receiver.

Silver Member

Post Number: 633
That's right, Two Cents.

Ben, my NAD T533 will do that, too, but you only get CD-quality sound that way. You would not choose it. I guess that option is there for people who do not have 5.1 analogue inputs on their amp/receiver. I guess you could get the real two-channel 192 kHz 24-bit DVD-A by feeding the signal to the CD analogue two-channel input. I haven't tried that. If it works, it should be a much better option than down-sampling.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 411
Two Cents--

generally true, except with the Pioneer Elite 49TXi that I have connected to my Pioneer Elite 59Avi universal player. It plays everything except video through a single firewire connection to the receiver. For video I connect the player to the TV component output. When I get a new HDTV with HDMI, I will connect that directly to the TV too. I guess I have to wait until Pioneer Elite makes a receiver with HDMI.

What is also great about the firewire connection between the receiver and player is that it automatically "knows" what disc is in the tray and plays the appropriate format, unless you tell it otherwise.

I put my "Last Waltz" DVD-A/cd stereo disc in the player last night and it automatically played the DVD-A. Then I presses the remote later and played it in cd stereo. Both formats are on the same side of this disc.

Silver Member

Post Number: 636
I think Pioneer are leading the field in this. There is no technical reason why the DVD-A processor has to be in the player and not the receiver; it is to do with "format rights agreements" or similar. Although it has great bandwidth, maybe Firewire aka iLink is a legal loophole, not a technical necessity?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us