My rca tv only gets 48 channels????????

Username: Sike

Post Number: 1
my rca tv only gets 48 channels. i don't have a remote and i wondered why i can't get beyond 48 even with a channel search. Please Help!

Gold Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 1047
What is the year/model of your set?

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 319
it's quite possible your tuner is shot on the high band. Are you able to pull the menu without a remote?

Post Number: 2
yes can get menu without remote. it is a 2001 says entertainment series on it also.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 321
ok, so if you autoprogram in the CATV band, and you're only getting 48 channels there's only 2 things I can think of that would cause that.
1. the tuner is shot
( if you have a VCR that you can connect to that tv, connect the vcr and see if you get all the other channels, if you do it's definately the TV)
2. there is a filter on your cable line that is only allowing you access to the 48 channels. Not sure about this one based on who your cable provider is, but you can answer that question by using the vcr as a guide. If you don't have a vcr, do other TV's in the house do the same thing or just that one RCA?
Hope this helps

Post Number: 3
it's gotta be the tuner then. I can get all channels with vcr. Big screen hitachi works fine.
Is there anything I can do or is the tv never going to work right? Thanks for all your help.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 324
You could always have a repairman give you an estimate on what it will take to correct the problem, if it's worth it get the tuner replaced.If it's not, the TV still can be used, you'll either need to let a vcr select the channels or get a STB. Eventually the tuner will fail completely, then you can always switch over to the video inputs and go from there.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us