New HD user...please help! JVC 52" HD-ILA (HD-52G886)

Username: Esheldon76

Post Number: 1
I finally purchased my first HD big screen! My other tv's were 25" or smaller, so big change! HA! Anyway, I go through Time Warner digital cable down here in Houston, and get their HD box. Last night I was finally able to turn it on and check out the HD. Fellas...I'm totally let down. Did I get a bad tv? It was a floor model (last one they had), but they vouched it was good, and only used for a little while. Here's what I'm experiencing...the hd, first of all, isn't clear and sharp like I've seen other friend's tv's. Right now I'm just using the high-end RGB cables that it came with from them, but they look pretty high-tech...just like the high-end ones I bought for my ps2 (which looks AMAZING) on the high def. Anyway, does the HDMI cables do THAT much difference? Or any other recommendations?

On another note, I have a service call in to have them come out and figure out what's going on with my signal...no matter what aspect ratio I have it set to, I still have grey bars around the frame. I have went through the HD setup that they told me to do, but when I change it from 1080i, to any other setting, nothing changes. By the way, I have no clue what 1080i means, or which is the best setup. I know pc's, not tv's, like this kind of stuff. They walked me through some stuff, some regular, and advanced setup with the box, but still no change, and can't get my aspect ratios to work in HD like they do on regular channels. Any help or more info I can give? I'm very upset with this. I plan on getting an HDMI cable tonight, if the Best Buy person can convince me that I will see a noticable change.

Bronze Member
Username: Dlp4me

Post Number: 80
I don't know your model, but there are some things you need to understand.

Cable is the worst signal source there is. Too inconsistant.
Direct TV is much better.
Off-air digital local networks (abc, nbc, cbs, fox, etc.) caught with an old style UHF antenna are excellent.
Some cable companies carry these digital signals.
They look very much cleaner than old VHF network signals.
If your ps2 looks good the set is fine.

Digital local network channels are Enhanced Definition and will be 4:3 format and have black bars on the sides unless a true HD broadcast during primetime is being tansmitted, which does fill the screen.

All other non-HD standard definition (SD) cable channels will also be 4:3 format. (black bars)

Only true HD programming is 16:9 and will fill the screen. This is any show that is a 720P or a 1080I broadcast. The numbers are horizontal lines of resolution. "P" means progressive scan and "I" means interlaced. Google it!

If you are trying to fill the screen with a 4:3 format program you are "sizing" the intended format by stretching, zooming, or using panoramic, which distorts the sides. I don't try to alter the intended format because I like the picture to look normal as it was intended. I got used to the black sidebars quickly.

Your cable converter must be set to pass through 720P and 1080I signals. It has an internal service menu to accomplish this. Some are accessed by pushing menu on the box while the box is off. Check with TW otherwise.

Hope this helps.

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Eric,

Take some time and don't panic. In the long run you should be very satisfied. That said, let's remember that the TV can only do as good as the source it is using. That is, if the signal is crap, the image will be crap.

Your HD cable box (you are sure you have an HD box?) should be hooked up using composite video cables (a set of 5 cables) that are of fairly good quality. Make sure that red goes to red, green to green, blue to blue, etc. and that all the connections are firmly seated. Once that is completed turn on the TV and the box.

Remember that analog and non-HD content will not look stellar on this TV. Digital signals will look better than those but still not HD quality. Let's also remember that many signals (including some HD content) are still 4:3 not 16:9 so you will get gray (or black, depending) bars on each side of the image. Another thing to keep in mind is that even some of the HD providers (i.e. ESPN, networks, etc.) still broadcast plenty of SD content. Those images will not look up to snuff either. In fact, I've seen HD content broadcasts on ESPN where they actually switch to an angle that is being produced by an SD camera.

I'm not sure the switch to HDMI will be necessary. I have my DVD player hooked up via HDMI and that works well there.

Bottom line, mess around with the hookups, post the model number of your HD box, do some research, ask questions, etc. and I think you'll get the kinks worked out. Good luck!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 84
He meant "component" cables, not composite, which he described correctly.

I agree that HDMI with cable signal won't be any better.
It's great for a DVD.

Hi TVS! Long time!
Regards!

Post Number: 3
Thanks for all your help so far. My issue is that I don't know the questions to ask? Like, why does normal tv seem grainy at times (maybe all the time, since I've only had a few hours of watching it)? I'll get the HD box number when I get home, and hopefully that will help. I have no clue where to look for stuff for this. Like I said, I know PC's, but not TV's, like this anyway. :-) That's why I turned to the pros!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 86
It's cable television signal first an formost.
It's being scaled up to 720P, though it's a 480I signal or worse.
A bad signal source scaled up and displayed on a big screen looks bad.

Old SD is not why you bought the set.
You will find yourself watching less and less SD.
Before long it will disappear completely.

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Erik,

Do you know if you had three connections or five? If you only had three, you were connecting via the old RCA-type cables and that is going to produce garbage.

DLP,

Thanks for the correction. I know it was com-something. LOL! Regards, back at ya'! Cheers!

Post Number: 4
I have 5 total connections...RGB, and then Red and White for audio...

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 426
Eric...Take it back. HD is not ready. Yes Standard TV will look like crap! What the sales guy didn't tell you that?

People will tell you not to listen to me and they are right, but if you had read my posts you would have known of your issues before you spent the coin.You are a classic reason why most people should not jump into this HD world quite yet.

Now you are being told the cable TV signal you have always enjoyed along with millions of others is no good and you must go SAtellite where you may have to spend another $500-$1000 for a conversion box YEp!!! Don't believe me. Do the research.
Then there are those who will tell you you need to spend $400 on cables...yep. They are all here. It will be everything......... BUT your TV which is really the culprit here. You bought a TV that looks its best on only ONE source which is HD. The rest will look like crap becasue they are not in the TV's NATIVE resolution yep fact..But don't believe me...yes even on SAT they will not lookas good as even your 27" TV. DOn't belive me though.
You will see for yourself..after you spend just a "few" dollars more here and there....

BTW If you bought a DLP or RPLCD you will spend hundreds on bulbs which you will have to replace yourself and hope it doesnt burn out just befroe or during something you wanted to watch or during a Super Bowl Party.

I feel for you man. Its sucks to spend that kind of cash and be frustrated and dissapointed.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 1561
I can see why people appear to 'dislike' you Tom :P You're rejecting their ideas and opinions! And I have to agree, HDTV ready TVs look poor with most other sources, most of the time.

About the $400 dollar cables...yeah, what a waste. Almost no difference between brands no matter what the cost is...

Silver Member

Post Number: 443
Yeah......This is a technology I reject and would not recommend to people I like. So be it, I am entitled to my opinion and those who read these threads are entitled to read all sides and opinions.

I am not here to seek the respect or credibility of the converted. I ask those who have not made a decision to read read read and seek out all the issues and pleasures and make their own choice, I did and I did, Some don't like it. Thats ok.

I am not surprised at the surprise of those having issues with their TVS. They obviously did not do enough research or did and decided the issues they did read about were a small minority......Now they are here whinning about ther bulbs, picture Quality on SDTV ,Vgame Latency, Cable Cards and on and on.

I have no empathy for ignorance, lemming, and "me too" mentality. They deserve their plight.

Hero Worshipper
Unregistered guest
How compassionate.

Ex Best Buy
Unregistered guest
Sound like tom bong is not like the guys at best buy who forget to mention that most of these sets look like crap in anything other than HD programing.

Silver Member

Post Number: 451
NO I am reminding those on the fence of the issues Sales guys do NOT mention, and encourage them to read these forums, good comments and issues and make an INFORMED choice. Go to Best Buy armed with information. Those guys are not used to people knowing about lamp life issues, PQ issues, and plenty more people are seemingly routinely having with this technology.

The converted don't like it. I wouldn't either if I had spent $3000 on an issue laden technology and someone was pissing on my grief! But alas I escaped the salesman's grip and now warn others to research the depth of the water deeply before making the jump.

Ex Best Buy
Unregistered guest
Q: Why would someone defend spending $3,000 on a issue laden technology?

A: Because you just spent $3,000 for something that is going to cost you many hundreds, if not thousands more for lamp replacements over the next few years.

I have seen this on other products as well, the persons that spent the big money defending a bad purchase decision.

Silver Member

Post Number: 474
Absolutely. Just ask the many who bought those $60,000 Hummers three year ago.. and those $10000 four year old Plasmas.I wonder if the WOW factor is radiating from those screens?

People have toi have what they were TOLD was the best. They see a picture and have to have it. NO research, no reliability figures, Then they hobble in these forums to complain and threaten class actions and petitions, and whine about lamp cost and not having their TVs for weeks waiting for them.....It's amazing.

But then again people buy weight loss pills at $150 a bottle advertised on TV!!! because they have a "money back" guarentee!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 124
You intellectualy impotent types are fun to mess with, tom! Since you seem to keep repeating yourself to stay in the forefront of the forum, let me assure you that I can do the same.

There are over 5 million DLP's in service from over 75 makers, and you group a few glitches from two forums, form a shallow, narrow minded opinion, and crusade to pan a truly wonderful display revolution. You haven't even owned one yet, but they're all chopped liver to you. Your effort to compare CRT to lamp projector technology and then claim that consumable lamp failures in DLP's are proof of a flawed technology is absurd. I see where you whine about millions of flipping mirrors, but I can't find a failed DMD chip thread. You cry about spinning color wheels, but I can't find the failed color wheel thread, either. I see where you have grouped Panasonic LCD lamp failures and Sony LCD display failures in with DLP to form your opinions. Honest objectivity is absent from your determinations. You may have convinced yourself that DLP is not one of the highest quality displays in the history of display technology and that's fine. Preaching your non-objective bulshit opinions on others to the extent that you have (455 posts since July) is a whole new twisted motivation that many folks will find disturbing. Perhaps you should consult a professional shrink about this bizzar obsession of yours.

I'm all for anyone choosing the product they want. Makes no difference to me. Until D-ILA LCOS is a faster refreshing proven technology, I'm of the opinion that the DLP display is the absolute best available on the market today. It's a brilliant, sharp, clear, accurately colorful experience with the right signal put to it. It can't even be matched by anything out there in my opinion.

DLP is the preferred projection technology of professional Cinemas. They have billions invested to display content the way that producers and directors intended. Having a mini version of that in my home has been an incredible pleasure for me. I highly reccommend that anyone interested in having the very best in home theater consider a beautiful DLP display of their choice. Compliment that with a quality surround sound system and pop some corn. It doesn't get any better!

Silver Member

Post Number: 482
YEah yeah,,,,cut and paste cut and paste...Brain on empty I know......It has happened before do not feel lonely.

Your rant is amazing since you claim you have worked for Texas Instruments. No bias there? Naaaaaaah

You are very credible now. As credible as a Car salesman telling me about the 45 miles per gallon the Hummer is going to get!! LOL

The Hummer is the prefered vehicle of the UNITED STATES MILITARY therfore it will be increadable for you too!!!

At least you make me laugh even if you are biased and discredited by your association with TI!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 132
LOL

To Those that say
Unregistered guest
I think DLP4me! is a SHILL.

SHILL= Someone who works for a company that cruises the Internet forums doing "damage control", but says they are not associated with any company.

A SHILL I guess could also be someone that has a vested financial interest, such as someone who owned stock, or had a business or whatever to keep the gravy ride from ending.

Silver Member

Post Number: 154
ROTFLMAO!

Username: Shunters

to Erik Sheldon.

You said they walked you through the HD setup..

How did you get into the set up? is there a special code?

I too am not impresesed with the clarity of the picture, I get a shadow about a 1/4 of an inch :-( This would indicate an alignment issue?

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1504
I had a DVR box from Comcast before I got my cable card and in order to access the box menu you needed to shut the thing off first then with the TV on hit the menu button on your remote. The format would then appear in the box's display(16:9 in my case) and then the menu would appear onscreen. From there you could choose from close captioning options, display format, resolution, etc.

One thing I didn't like about the box was that it didn't have a "pass through" option. I'm a firm believer in my new Samsung HL-R 6178's scaler, but with box you are stuck with a fixed resolution(480p, 720p, or 1080i I believe). This means that with the box set at 1080i for example, a 720p broadcast will be upscaled via the STB. I'd much prefer my Sammy to do this job for me.

-Fishy

Silver Member

Post Number: 845
Face it. You bought a pig in a poke. the Tvs are not ready for prime time and sold under false pretext. you NEVER see a 4:3 standard broadcast iin the stores evenr though that is still 90% of TV content available'

VH1 MTV FX, AMC, FOX,CNN, Comedy Central and on and on and on........All ON HD all look like crap.

Unless you like watching Bees polinate flowers or HD promo clips the HD tier is not much better. And then theres Network TV and reality shows WOW!!!!!

The only thing that would save yo is a plasma. at least if you had to watch crappy clay like images you at least have the "cool" factor going for you.

Anonymous

Not to be argumentative... but I have seen one instance of color wheel failure. It was in probably the only DLP projector I've ever seen... but it does make me a bit leary about getting a DLP. The wheel literally flew apart... found pieces of it inside the projector.

I have a Toshiba 57" widescreen CRTRP TV, and I am quite happy with it's performance in ALL formats. (Especially DVDs in progressive scan). I am subscribed to satellite service and it's very unlikely that I'll go back to cable. The only thing is my satellite receiver is not HDTV compatible... so that's one thing I'll have to upgrade in the future.

One thing everyone should know by now is... the less mechanical something is... the more reliable it will be. DLP seems to have a lot of moving parts; therefore a lot more points of failure are likely to occur. In that regard... I think I'd choose LCD over DLP.

I see Tom's point... even if he does seem to be on a crusade. I personally wouldn't like the idea of spending $300 every couple of years for what amounts to a light bulb. If a CRT can last 10 years with very little maintenance... then what possible justification can there be for spending so much on maintenance for a DLP? Especially when it's supposed to be newer, "advanced" technology? (1987 is not all that new... but I digress).

Username: Snicholson

WOW. I came to site to ask a basic question and was floored at the pettiness flying back and forth. I'd rather just stick to basics.

After a pretty significant amount of research, not the least of which was going to three stores, I've narrowed down my purchase decision to one of three choices:

JVC HD52G886 (52")
Samsung HLR5067W (50")
One of the "lower end" 42" plasmas new to the market (Panasonic, Dell, Maxent)

In all three stores, despite the INCREDIBLE reputation in online reviews (including CNET) the Samsung was very disappointing. Thought I was seeing things but after three different stores including a high-end one (Tweeter) the damned thing is just not in 100% focus.

The JVC 52G886 in my opinion blows it away. Richer, more vibrant color and SUBSTANTIALLY sharper picture. Best picture next to the Plasmas. Nothing technical to tout here but just based on just staring back and forth--over and over and over.

With one big BUT--I was able to watch the Sammy and JVC side-by-side and the Sammy did outperform in dark scenes. In fact, whenever there was a dark area on the screen that included detail, the Sammy (and all the plasmas I saw) displayed the detail fine but the JVC produced very little-if any--detail, but mostly muddles shades of gray and black.

Since I love this picture and don't want to fork out the extra $700+ for the plasma (Yet!), I am HOPING that either a) the Best Buys didn't have the black-level or contrast settings done properly on the display models (Tweeter doesn't carry JVC) or b) the JVC has user-defined controls that will help (hopefully signficantly) with this issue.

Can anyone out there (no more politics please) provide answers for this or acknowledge this problem?

Thanks.

Scott

Bronze Member
Username: Wearenotalone69

Post Number: 72
Scott,

Here's a review which may help:
Home Theater Magazine September, 2005
JVC HD-70G886 D-ILA HDTV

http://www.hometheatermag.com/rearprojectiontvs/905jvc

TomBong
Unregistered guest
Yeah Scott read that review as If a HOME THEATER MAGAZINE is going to bash the hand that feeds it! Right. There goes another advertiser!!!

Amazing! Thats the LAST place you want to go for opinion. Maybe technical specs but thats all. They are in the business of selling you!

The forums are the best place. Read of the issue REAL people are or are not having. Not the rah rah fan boys who sell them.

Tom I agree I would like the opinion of some JVC HD-ILA owners and/or experts directly on this topic...that is why I am in this chat room...is there a black-level or contrast adjustment for this machine that can increase the low spectrum image detail or not?

Tombong
Unregistered guest
YOu will only get hype here try anotheer forum...

Username: Bruceorlando

Orlando - Mickey Mouse..., Florida-By-God US of A

Sorry, no hype for you! :-)

The black level on this is not quite up the level of the DLP's. Yes, there is *some* adjustment and you can get it even better in the service menu. For me it's acceptable, but each person is different.

That being said, I think it still has a better picture and color than just about anything else I looked at before buying my 58G786.

-bruce

Post Number: 2
haha. Sorry, 56G786. It didn't grow two inches, no matter how much I wished it would. :-)

Post Number: 5
Thanks Bruce...does the Dynamic Gamma Control improve the black/dark area detail as the service manual claims it does??? What other fine tuning have you done (Contrast, Brightness, and/or Detail)

nycmatt
Unregistered guest
Scott,
I have the 56G. At first I was in love. However, I watch a fair amount of TV in a dark room. Big mistake with this TV. Carefully examine the shadow detail and determine whether or not it's acceptable to you. Apparently after calibration it is improved, somewhat. However, I'm not happy with how this tv handles dark scenes or dark objects. Things turn very muddy very fast. Dark Hair and dark clothes are great examples.That's with Dynamic Gamma on. Also, the black is really bad. Apparently an ND mod can fix this. Or you could go with the Sony SXRD's. I haven't seen one first hand but people are raving about their black levels and shadow details (and virtually everything else about them, except the speaker placement). I'm going to try and calibrate the Contrast and Brightness with a test pattern to see if it improves somewhat. The colors are phenomenal and the detail should be set to -30.

Username: Tomb

Scott If you want the best video qualkity and you are going to spemd $3000 and another thousand for lamps over the life of the TV...Just buy a Plasma

You will not have black issues and will have better color rendition. Costco has an unlimited return policy. (1 year refund) no limit on store credit afterwards. No Ew needed with that kind of retail support. They have HDTV 50" Plasmas as low as $2500! They also fare better on standard TV.

Burn in is not an issue any more with the new ones.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/pe/images/portal/cit_3424/273087528Pioneer %20DTV%20White%20Paper%20-%20FINAL.pdf

Fred bong idiot
Unregistered guest
Yea, "qualkity". LOL
Don't "spemd" too much!

What an illiterate dumbass!

Post Number: 4
I'm looking at doing the ND mod in the future also, just to bring out more shadow detail.

Scott, yes, the Dynamic Gamma Control does seem to help with the blacks to my eyes. But that's just my opinion, and you have to realize that everyone has different vision and tolerances.

I've have my Contrast and Brightness turn down to approx -16 from it's factory setting of 0. That's how bright these sets are. When they say Torch mode -- they are not kidding.

I also have my color cranked down as the 0 setting was too over saturated for my tastes. Oh, and I think I've adjusted the tint a couple of notches either more green or more red -- sorry can't remember which.

Since most of what I watch are some Network shows, HBO series, sports and the occaisional DVD, I'm very happy with the JVC so far -- but agree with nycmatt that it can be made better.

Let us know what you decide on. If you decide to purchase, I'd make sure you can return/exchange it if your are not satisfied with it. That's one of the advantages of a real store -- though you usually end up having to a little pay more for it.

-bruce

Post Number: 10
Thanks everyone. Now the decision is even harder b/c I am well aware of the $1,799 and up plasmas at Costco.

The big issue here is it needs to have a built-in tuner (I refuse to go with a Set-Top Box due to SD picture quality issues).

But wow...I did just notice Costco added a Philips 42" with built-in ATSC/QAM/Cablecard, 10,000:1 contrast, 1,500 cd/m2 brightness and 2 (!) HDMI inputs for $2,299 (see http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11069167&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=33 14&hierPath=2341*)...can anyone comment on the Philips product quality???

Only drawback is the size (42"). They do also have an Optoma 50" Plasma with "181 channel TV tuner" but with less features than the Philips and $400 more.

Will the search ever end?!?

Silver Member
Username: Hd_fanatic

Boise, ID

Post Number: 150
Phillips makes a good TV. I was looking at that same set on their website yesterday. If you research plasma, you will find that there are only about 6 different companies that make the glass, so alot of times what you end up buying is an identical product with a different name brand for alot less money. You really can't go wrong buying from Costco. If for some reason you don't like it, you can take it back.

Silver Member

Boise, ID

Post Number: 152
The drawbacks to plasma currently is the fact that if you want a 60" or larger you will pay through the nose for it. That's what kept me from buying one.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
FYI Costco.com just dropped the 42" Philips plasma I referred to above from $2299 to $1999...wow...however I still don't understand their return policy fully even after calling the store...it appears you can return no questions asked for 30 days then after that you can return only if its defective...

I want a 50"+ set ($3,000+) but for the $$ this appears the absolute best deal out there right now--everyone shopping for HDTV should check out the Philips 42PF7320A plasma, it is loaded and very high image specs for $1999 + SH&T

Bronze Member

Post Number: 100
BruceOrlando, and everyone:

RE: I'm looking at doing the ND mod in the future also, just to bring out more shadow detail.

I current have my set 61z575 hooked up to a Samsung HD SIR-T451 OTA tuner... (I hate the Samsung)

Blacks are "OK" for the most part until the scene ends, a scene that just before had blacks in it looking "black"... and then when the scene ends the screen does not look black... (well it's sort of washed out looking type of black)

Anyone done the ND mod talked about? And has is this done? Have the service manual and on other sets I have been in to change values so no fear there... Just wondering what this mod is. Supposedly on other boards there is info about changing the black levels on these sets.

Anyone care to expand on how this is done?

BTW: When powering off set (HD tuner still on) I noticed that the light "black" screen appears for about two seconds, then turns totally "black".

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
All,

Bought the Philips 42PF7320A plasma last night at Costco.com. Their "100% guarantee" seemed too good to pass up. I'll bet 50" plasmas with integrated tuners drop below $2,500 (or even lower) by Xmas or Superbowl...at which time can return my box ("for any reason") and get a bigger set if I want.

HD-ILA/LCOS: Black/grey rendition wasn't good enough.

Samsung DLP: Never saw a sharp picture or vibrant color on any of them.

LCD: Too many problems in reviews.

The plasma with built-in tuners wins.

Silver Member

Post Number: 102
Scott,

If I'm reading your post right....Try to keep in mind that if people abuse the 100% guarantee at some point they will get picky about returns.

What I'm trying to say is if the set dies, or develops a problem... that is a reason to return it.

Just buying something, and then later returning it because a bigger /newer model comes out is abusing the goodwill of their return policy.

Before you tell me to drop dead, etc... Just try to put yourself in a business man's shoes for a moment... Imagine it was your business... and such abuses affected YOUR bottom line.

Best of luck to ya.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
I contacted them about this very issue. The return policy is for any reason, even if in 100% working order. If the guarantee is "100% satisfaction" and the purchaser isn't satisfied with the screen size, picture, burn-in, black levels, power consumption,SD-image quality (the biggest problem according to Consumer Reports)...all of which could be potential issues...it can be returned. And no, at this point I'm not planning on returning anything.

grouch
Unregistered guest
I have a JVC HD-52Z585 which I purchased from HH Gregg near the end of March, 2005. The color and contrast were excellent, but it magnifies all the crap in the input signals.

In the first week of August, 2005, the lamp failed. My $2600 tv was nothing but a dust collector in the living room. The "service technician" arrived about a week later with a bulb for a Mitsubishi. He called JVC and arranged to have one shipped while reassuring me that he would be back to give me a spare to keep on hand. The lamp arrived about a week later. The technician never returned.

It is now October 18, 2005 and the tv is once again just an expensive dust collector. The replacement lamp has failed.

By my calculations, the next lamp might just manage to survive until the Super Bowl. It will be a toss-up whether it survives until the end of the manufacturer's warranty. I am unsure if the extended warranty I purchased will cover future lamp replacements, due to the weasel-words in the fine print.

It appears to me that JVC and possibly other tv manufacturers are trying to cash in on the business model used by inkjet printer manufacturers (almost give away the printer and soak the "consumer" in ink charges) and "shaving systems" (that's a give-away plastic handle for which you purchase throw-away blades). The new wrinkle the tv makers apply is to stick it to you up front with an expensive tv and stick it to you quarterly with expensive light bulb replacements.

This is junk technology. I will never again purchase anything from HH Gregg or JVC. CRTs work.

grouch
Unregistered guest
My apologies. I just checked my records. It was 2 *days* to ship the replacement lamp; it was 2 *weeks* when the technician was _supposed_ to return (he never did) with a spare and pick up the old lamp. The lamps contain mercury and are not supposed to be put in regular landfills.

This does not change my dissatisfaction with a $2600 product that apparently requires the purchase of $600 to $800 worth of lamps per year after warranty expiration.

Silver Member

Post Number: 139
Grouch,
Are you turning on the set for brief periods of time, then OFF?

Are you running the set thru a UPS?
Is your area prone to under voltages, over voltages, power outages?

Some people put the set on a outlet controlled by a switch.... They watch tv, the tv (lamp) gets good and HOT, and then they turn off the set via the powerstrip /and or switch... which frys the lamp.

I bought a "display" model with a blown lamp from one of the big box stores... (I called JVC, and had the lamp the next day.)

I find your post sort of hard to believe because the set I have was mfg'd Jan-05, and the lamp lasted until Aug or so.... The set was run for about 10 hours a day... and at the END of the day they would CUT power to the sets via a main breaker... which kept the set from going thru the proper cool down procedure. Those lamps get VERY HOT... if the fans stop running all the sudden. (Hence the need for a UPS)

PS: That tech was bs'ing you about "giving" you a spare lamp (as you found out) No shop is going to "give" you a lamp that costs $199+. If anything if that lamp was a "pull" they'd use it for testing purposes.

If you are having to replace lamps to often, you need to confirm that the cooling fans are running, running at full speed. You may have a fan that is below spec, and the lamp is running too hot causing it to go bad too soon.

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
grouch,

I don't know what is wrong with your set or the bulbs that you have received but I can only assume that you are abusing it in some way as I have the 585 and watch my TV on the average of more than 4 hours per day and the bulb is one year old (I will bet I have 1800 hours on this bulb) and going strong.

Also, you prattle on about hating JVC, etc. but they sent you a replacement bulb, free of charge, correct? And, they will send you another one, free of charge. And, the technician not showing back up is whose fault? JVC? HH Gregg? Or, the technician himself and you for not following up? Why do you need a technician anyway? The bulb is a user replaceable item.

I'm sorry dude but your rant is unwarranted in my opinion. Two lamps in 7 months just isn't possible unless you are abusing them (i.e. multiple short time power-up cycles, blocking air flow), something is actually wrong with your TV (i.e. fan problem) or you're just plain unlucky.

Unregistered guest
Need some help from the experts here. Got a 52" JVC HD-ILA rear projection set but am having trouble getting hi def signals from Indianapolis. Only live about 40 miles from Indy. Antenna is in attic, new RG6 cable was put down, new connector on antenna yet still getting snowy reception. Spoke with others in the area that have antennas in attics and they get hi def signals fine. Any ideas what the problem might be?

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Snowy reception to me means weak or blocked signal. It is my understanding that you need a "line of sight" clearance for HD signals. Do you have anything in the line of sight (i.e. building, hill or other obstruction) that may be blocking the signal?

Anonymous

Snowy channels are anolog problems HD channels either come in or don't nothing else. If you are seeing snow you are looking at the anolog station you have to tune to the digital channel. In NY anolog CBS is channel 2 the digital CBS is 2.1

Harry_4205
Unregistered guest
Nothing blocking my line of sight to the south/southwest, other than the roof. Checked digital set up today on tv and antenna level was showing 0. Any chance the antenna could be bad? It's probably as old as the house at 25 years. Wouldn't think an antenna would go bad, but who knows? Looking for anything to help here.

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Yeah, that may be your problem. I thought that HD signals need a special antenna. I would think that your 25 year old antenna is not sufficient.

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product_Id=3962213&JRSource=yahoo.datafe ed.TRK+HDTVI

Silver Member

Boise, ID

Post Number: 174
Harry, try rotating your antenna. If your sinal is still 0, then it sounds like you could have an open in the cable. Possibly at a connector where the conductor broke off internally.

I purchased an antenna that I put up in the attic, and the HD channels come in very good. I would avoid the indoor powered units. I have not seen good results from them unless you live up on a hill with an un-obstructed path for the signal.

Since your antenna is so old, I would purchase a new one for about 35 bucks. You don't need a special antenna for HD. Only one that will pick up UHF signals which all the the multi-element yagi styles will do.

grouch
Unregistered guest
WeAreNotAlone69:
The tv is plugged into a 500 VA uninterruptible power supply. I added this after the first lamp failed, while waiting for the 2nd replacement lamp. The tv is not abused. It has never been turned on and off rapidly. Typical usage time is from 2 hours to over 10 hours at a time, depending mainly on varying work schedules of family members. Power is never removed from it; it always goes through its cool-down period. There is nothing around the tv to block ventilation.

tvshopper:
JVC's no-charge replacement of the lamp does not mitigate the problem. The tv eats lamps. Either the technology is junk OR JVC is junk OR this particular television is junk OR some combination of those three. JVC provides only a 1 year warranty. After that, lamp cost per year at the present rate this junk tv is eating them will be more than the current retail price of the largest direct view CRT tvs.

The advertisements give an estimated lamp life of 5000 to 8000 hours. If you could somehow eliminate the failure that JVC warns could happen if the tv is left on for 24 hours at a time, that lamp would last 6.94 months at 30 days per month, 24 hours per day, using the minimum 5000 hours. My first one lasted all of April, May, June and July. My second lasted all of August, September and about half of October. Either the estimate is off by a factor of at least 2 or this particular tv is consuming lamps at least twice as fast as even JVC estimates, or JVC simply lied.

I have a house full of computers that are on 24/7 and utilize the same type of UPS that I bought for the tv. I have audio and video gear that is sensitive to power fluctuations and noise but which have only simple surge protectors and yet they work flawlessly. There is no evidence that the power supplied to the tv is at fault and ample evidence that it is clean.

If HH Gregg gracefully accepts that I bought a lemon and provides a reasonable exchange rate for a different brand and technology, then I will consider them for future purchases. It all depends on the fine print. That provides them enough latitude to either correct the problem or screw me out of a couple grand.

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
grouch,

Something is wrong with your TV if everything is working fine and you are "eating" lamps. As I said in my post, I have over 1800 hours on a lamp and it is just fine. If your problem was widespread, we'd be hearing in here. And, we're not.

Silver Member

Post Number: 151
Grouch,

You need to contact JVC to arrange a service call. There is something inside the set that is eating lamps. More than likely the cooling fan, or control circuit for it. Another idea, maybe JVC got a bad run of lamps?

Besides contacting CS to arrange a service call, I'd contact JVC directly (The head offices) in writing to document the problems you are having. To ask them if they have some lind of "Good-Will" warranty that would extend the length of the org warranty, or have them ship you a replacement set.

https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=474384#POST474384

You mentioned HH Greg... and CRT's, The above link is about the little saga of 8 or 9 months I went thru to get a working CRT set so don't assume that getting your money back and buying another mfg's product is going to be the cure-all. On the HH Greg, I would assume this is the vendor you bought it thru... Seeing how much time has passed I would think they would refer you to JVC to attempt a repair.

I would think if anything, they (JVC, or HH Greg) would demand a service call be done before replacing the set, especially with another mfg' product.

I'd see if they have "another" approved shop that can check-out /repair the TV. You might try calling around town to find out "who" in your town has the best reputation from the high-end audio /video shops. Take what they say with a grain of salt though...

Having another shop check out the set will work in your favor if there is a future problem, trying to get them to extend your warranty, or ship a replacement set. https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=474384#POST474384

BTW: Post BACK what ends up been done!!!! List details of what was replaced, with PART numbers.
(Also post the mfg date /serical number range of your set)

While the tech is there, try to pump him for info... Why? To repost it here of course, plus to see if he really "knows" what he's doing.

One last thought, have you gone into "Service Mode", and run the "Self-Check"?

Harry_4205
Unregistered guest
Thanks for all the input from everyone. Still not receiving any digital signals through the tv. Analog signals come in great, but nothing digital. Autoprogram feature is not capturing anything other than analog channels. Any more advice? Could the built in HD tuner be bad?

Silver Member

Boise, ID

Post Number: 179
Harry, I'm not real familiar with the JVC, but on the Hitachi when you are using the autoprogram feature for getting digital channels you have to select the right antenna to scan from in the set-up menu. I had this problem initially with mine and was not getting any digital channels. Once I selected the correct antenna all the digital channels appeared.

Harry_4205
Unregistered guest
Still no luck in capturing HD programming from the local market. Also very irritated with JVC customer service saying I need an HD antenna. The problem is not my antenna! This thing is going back to Best Buy this week. Any suggestions on a replacement product? I want something #1 that works and #2 more user friendly.

Bronze Member
Username: Imustbecrazy

Post Number: 37
Harry_4205;

Try this site:

www.antennaweb.org

Harry_4205
Unregistered guest
Already have a large directional antenna. I am convinced that something is wrong with the built in HD tuner even though JVC seems to think I need a new antenna. That's ok. I have only had it for two weeks so I will take it to Best Buy and get another brand. If you have any suggested HD tv brands, let me know. NO MORE JVC THOUGH! Thanks for all the help.

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Harry_4205,

Good luck. The JVC is a fine product. It's too bad that you're unwilling to work with it. Are you sure you have the antenna plugged into the ATSC? Also, did you get the attenuators? Did you try those?

Bronze Member
Username: Imustbecrazy

Post Number: 38
Harry_4205;

Bestbuys sells HDTV antennas. Buy the $50 Terk. It's an indoor antenna.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6327496&type=product&productCatego ryId=cat08084&id=1081899793854

It's a small room antenna for $34.00 bucks.

Also, did you key in your address to antenna web. It will list the HDTV stations available to you, their distance and compass direction.

Also, HDTV stations are '###.#'. I have a Sony KDF-60XS955. For Channel 2, I'd have to hit the #2, then dot key, and then the second set of numbers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 157
Harry_4205,

You're giving up too easily.

Follow what the previuos posters have suggested.

PS: Didn't you say something about the ROOF of your house being in the way?

I like in a house with extra thick walls... Things such as "Atomic" time clocks, radio's , and yes TV's, etc don't work worth two cents since the "wall" is in the way.

Get one of those e-cheap-o $34 antenna's, stick it outside the front door, or thru a window on the SIDE of the HOUSE the stations towers are.

Silver Member

Post Number: 158
PS: Depending on where you live they might on be broadcasting yet....

And/ OR they sometimes share a tower... It might be "down"...

Harry_4205
Unregistered guest
I was finally able to program and receive HD broadcasts from Indianapolis. The JVC remote has a button on it labeled, A/D, that switches from analog to digital. Problem is, this wasn't mentioned in the autoprogram mode in the manual. I stumbled accross it after I programmed it last night. It is mentioned in the manual, but at the back of the manual. For ease of operation, this feature should be mentioned in the quick set up. I was driving myself nuts trying to figure out what was wrong.

Anyhow, the HD picture was much better than the feed I was getting through satellite. I am looking forward to watching some football games this weekend.

To everyone that gave input, I thank you. Was I too quick in giving up on JVC? Perhaps. Trying to troubleshoot things like that can be quite frustrating to a HD beginner.

Silver Member

Post Number: 159
Harry_4205,

You fiqured it out.

So your a HD beginner? Expect on whatever device to burn up alot of brain cells trying to get everything to work properly.

Alot of the instruction manuals are written in Japanese... and the translation doesn't go to well. I would bet the orginal Japanese version would read "differantly"... explaining things "better".

While your hanging around here you may want to snag a copy of the SERVICE MANUAL that's floating around. It's for the HD-ILA Z series, but it will be helpful if you want to "tweak" your set. https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/69211.html

PS: If you think the "user" manual was poorly written, reading thru that service manual will make you appericate the user manual.

One last thing.., You need to blame the place you bought it from for not explaining the A/D button to you.

Harry_4205
Unregistered guest
Next time I am at Best Buy, I will be sure to mention this programming feature to them. They were going to send a tech out to fix it today, but fortunately I got it programmed. It was plain luck that I got it to work.

I knew it wasn't the antenna that I was using. That is why I was irritated with JVC - saying the same thing over and over. I was on the phone with them at least 5 times and not once did any of the service techs mention this button.

It's all water under the bridge now. It works, the picture is much improved, and I am looking forward to viewing all the games this weekend!

Thanks for everyone's input!

Username: Stevep

Eric: I recently purchased the JVC 52" HD-ILA rear projection as well. Needless to say as a new HD customer and not very well educated in the HD arena, I was very disappointed when I set up the TV. After several days of research and monitoring message boards like this, I finally got the HD picture looking great. My cable provider is Cablevision of New York they pretty must just gave me the HD box with no manuals (Scientific Atlanta 4200D). Best Buy sold me the Monster Composite video cables and the picture was not what I expected. So I went onto the Scientific Atlanta web site and downloaded the manual on how to properly configure the cable box to match the JVC HD-ILA set. I also returned the composite video cables and purchased the DVI to HDMI cable to connect the cable box to the TV. After doing this the HD picture is amazing. (*Picture quality is always subjective.) The color and clarity that this set produces is unbelievable. I think in the end you will be happy. Again I am a novice at this but I am highly computer literate and it just made sense to me that if I could go digital out and digital in it was the way to go. The DVI to HDMI cable cost about $75 at Radio Shack and the Composite video cables were $56 at Best Buy. Remember that this will only resolve the video.

The standard channels do not look great but this is to be expected. To convince myself of this I turned on my 36" Sony and did a side-by-side comparison on the same SD channels and the picture was far superior on the new JVC. I guess to bottom line is that you do not realize what you have been watching until you go High Def.

Note: The Audio I am running directly through my Home Theater System. I will tackle this later. HDMI to HDMI will carry digital Video and Audio signal but because my cable box only has a DVI connection this will not work for the audio. My suspicion is that once I invest in a DVR I will be able to transmit digital audio as well.

Hope this helps...

Username: Tv_mike

Steve, I also have the cablevision box. It does provide a digital audio out. I am running that directly to my receiver with great results. If you havent set up it up this way yet, it's worth it. Many of the HD cannels also broadcast in Dolby 5.1.

Username: Stevep

Michael, The problem that I have is that it appears that the digital out on the cable box looks like a coax type connection. My receiver is a Yamaha HTR 5840, which appears to be a fiber optic digital in connection. I haven't had much time to investigate but it is definitely a priority. What receiver are you connected to and what is the connection type?

Username: Tv_mike

I'm using the Coax Digital line. I'm running it to an Onkyo TX-DS787.

I found a manual for your system on-line at

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/manuals/PDFs/HTR-5840_5850.pdf

I would try using either the CD digital audio (5) input or swap your DVD's coax input with the cable box and use the optical line for the DVD.

Username: Carwashmann

RICHMOND, IN.

CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO RESET MY HDMI IN A JVC 56G886 ALL I GET IS AN NG1 IN MY SELF CHECK

grouch
Unregistered guest
Update on my JVC HD52Z585 troubles: the local vendor, HH Gregg, interceded on my behalf and convinced JVC to buy back the lamp-eating television at full purchase price. John, the local manager, took on the job while putting up with a couple of growling telephone calls from me. I really did not expect to be able to apply the full, original purchase price toward a replacement. This response from HH Gregg (www.hhgregg.com) and secondarily, JVC, is superb, IMO. Neither abandoned me to the lemon. However, contacting JVC customer service directly was completely unsatisfactory. If not for the intercedence by John, the outcome might be different. (Moral: support your local stores when they provide service).

Now I'm back where I started and faced with figuring out what to get to replace the JVC. DLPs bug me with the rainbow effect and that 1930s mechanical spinning wheel, LCDs that I've seen can't handle sports, CRTs are limited in size, plasmas have burn-in and projection CRTs that I've seen are slightly blurry and dim.

Silver Member

Post Number: 161
grouch,

Why not get the JVc replaced with another JVC, directly from the mfg?

JVC could ship you one of their latest sets directly.

Sounds like you got a set with a bad ballast... or a bad cooling fan...

Something you can get with ANY mfg's set.

If you've got the room, you may want to go with FP... Supposedly the prices have come down alot.
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/168499.html

Bronze Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 30
I think the burn in issue with plasma is over blown. CRT's have the same problem but no one even mentions it.If you calibrate a plasma with either a disc or have a pro from ISF do it for you the chances of burn in are greatly reduced.

Bronze Member
Username: Uhphikap

Post Number: 26
An update on the TVs from our company....we have been receiving a lot of inquiries, so I thought I would send out a general update on pricing and stock at JVC:

HD52G886/786 will now be $1885 + $50 for shipping= $1935.00. You can add in the 3-year MACK extended warranty for the TV including the Bulb Warranty for 3 years also for only $210. You're looking at a total package of $2145.00 delivered and the TV will be covered for 4 years. You are not required to buy the warranty, but for this price, it's worth it.

HD56G886/786 will be $2350 + $60 for shipping = $2410.00. You can add in the 3-year MACK extended warranty for the TV including the Bulb Warranty for 3 years also for only $210. You're looking at a total package of $2620.00 delivered and the TV will be covered for 4 years. You are not required to buy the warranty, but for this price, it's worth it.

I'll also continue selling the extended warranty combo (TV+Bulb) separate for $210.00 also. No freight charges on this. I've had a lot of people calling to purchase the warranty only...keep 'em coming.

Once again, if I can be of assistance, please call 1-866-827-3489 and ask to speak with Brian, or feel free to order online at www.tapeworkstexas.com. You will find the TVs listed at these prices under the "Web Specials" section of our website. You can also email me at tapeworksbrian-at-sbcglobal-dot-net

We are an authorized JVC Dealer and will likely be shipping the unit directly from JVC to you, just in case there are any questions.

FYI - JVC is currently backordered (as of 10/25/05) on the HD52G886 (Silver) model. They do currently have the Black 52" and the Silver 56" in stock.

Bronze Member
Username: Videobruce

Buffalo , NY

Post Number: 89
In case anyone is interested;
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=6454259#post6454259

Unregistered guest
Bought a JVC 52G886 a few weeks ago after much reasearch and am very disappointed in picture,don't have hi-def direct tv yet but do have dvd with upconvert to 720p,picture is out of focus with shadows and some pixel hotspotting in solid colors,technician is coming but any help would be appreciated

likegrouch
Unregistered guest
I bought a JVC HD-52Z585 in June 05 and have the same problem as "grouch" above - the lamp died today.
My usage has been normal and no sudden power turn offs etc. The TV is not even used 4 hours a day and the lamp is dead.
Anyone else have this problem ?

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
likegrouch,

There appear to be a rash of lamp failures. The "rumor" is that there is a bad batch of lamps on the market. JVC will replace your lamp under warranty so call them to replace.

I have had a JVC DILA for a little over one year and have not lost a lamp yet. We have our TV on a minimum of 4 hours a day and I would say it averages more like 5 hours per day.

likegrouch
Unregistered guest
Called JVC - they will FedEx a lamp to me - no technician to the house or anything. I sincerely hope it is a bad lamp and not a bad TV that "eats" lamps, becuase the next time around I will be at or over my warranty period. The rep told me (not surprisingly) that it was not a known problem - seems known enough to me from these posts.

Silver Member

Post Number: 239
Just so all these posts may be of "help" in getting mfg's to make better products... and more importantly maybe get them to EXTEND the lamp (and light engine) warranty beyond the "official" 1 year warranty...

How about EVERYONE that posts lamp burnout /or light engine problems post the:

Model
Mfg date
Serial number
Amount of run time on set /lamp (or "lamps")
How set is used each day.
If set is plugged into a UPS.

PLEASE NOTE the model number of the LAMP, and ANY markings on it /or box it came in such as batch number.

Please also note if the ballast was replaced, as that may be the cause of short lamp life instead of the lamp itself. If you've had the ballast replaced post the part number of the OLD and NEW ballast.

And finally post what you as a consumer expect so far as "lifespan".

To me having part (lamp in this case) rated at 6,000 hours for example, means 6,000 hours... that mfg's should provide replacements of that part -even if the set is beyond the 1 year warranty.

40 hours a week, x50 weeks =2,000 hours.
6,000 hours to me means 3 years at least... as most people aren't going to watch TV 8 hours a day.

likegrouch
Unregistered guest
Wearenotalone69 - Right on - I also expect the lamp to be warrantied for at least 6000 hours - they said it when I bought it - stand by it, else they are hollow and misleading words.
I will post the details asked once I collect them.

likegrouch
Unregistered guest
Well, 24 hours after the picture dimmed, the lamp blew out with a soft pop noise - no TV for me now !
JVC will FedEx the bulb next week by god knows which method - means a week without TV for me at least.
I am really surprised by the sudden end of this lamp - one day it works great, next day picture is very dim and next day lamp is out !
Here are my details
JVC HD-52Z585
Mfg Date - January 2005
Serial num - 06083187 AA
Used - 4-5 hours every day since 6/15/2005
Lamp dead - 11/11/2005
Lamp life less approx 700 hours
Connected to a surge protector no UPS (only power outage we had was once when the TV was forcibly shutdown)
Will post lamp details when I get the new one.

Can I get more information on the "ballast" problem - how can I find out if that is the issue and not just a bad lamp?

Silver Member

Post Number: 247
likegrouch,

Thank you for posting in the above format. I would encourage everyone that reports "problems" to post such info.... So everyone on the Internet, JVC can see how end users are being affected ..AND HOW THE MANUFACTURER HANDLES "PROBLEMS". If say for example over the next year 1,000 people post saying they've went thru 3 lamps in a year, it would be hard for JVC, The mfg of the parts to deny there was a "problem".

What I mean is IF, we owners had to at some point file a class action suit for example if would be mighty "hard" for JVC to deny responsibility. Having the info in the above format would also help in case you had to go to small claims court? OR were fighting your local repair shop about getting your light engine replaced, etc.

likegrouch.. on the ballast... If the ballast was out of spec that would affect lamp life. Make sure to check to see if the fans are working as they should also. If you end up having a "tech" come out, try to see if you can befriend the "tech" BEFORE he comes out, see if you can sweet talk him into providing you (and us) with a copy of the training documentation, and TSB's so wee can better understand these sets, and better understand how to make these sets look there best, to make them last as long as possible thereby INCREASING SALES of JVC sets.

What I mean is a "happy" customer.. is the best salesman :-) Big deal if the training doc's get out....Most people aren't going to do anything with it anyways... but those that do get the info, and tweak their sets, and keep them running for years to come will be walking and talking billboards for JVC, will be a lifelong customer.

Sort of like having two companies making cars:

Company A: Proves training doc's, service info freely.... Techs can share info, discuss possible fixes. End result is you see lots of these cars 10 -20-30-40 years+ old on the road. Multiple purchases in the same family, the owners of such cars recommend them to everyone they meet.

Company B: Restricts info,, Service info hard to get, Techs do not share info, discuss possible fixes...... End result once cars get out of warranty people drop them like hot potatoes and they get a reputation as such... Techs don't like working on them, Expensive to fix..... This translates in very few being on the road after a few years. People junk them. Do not recommend them, nor purchase another.

Which car would you rather buy?

likegrouch
Unregistered guest
I agree - anyone that has had lamp problems please respond to this post with your information.
I am not getting a tech come over, instead they are fedExng a lamp to me which I have to install myself. I will also not be able to find out if it is the ballast or the lamp either !!
Seems like a great and convenient way for JVC to take me to the edge of the warranty period and then claiming the period is over and that they cannot do anything for a problem they knew all along !! - way to go

Username: Kid89

Post Number: 7
I think JVC will resolve this problem, they have too much to lose....I'm looking forward to having a nice-new-state of the art JVC HD tv (with all the bugs worked out). I feel like I'M testing this tv(52z585)for jvc and not getting paid....yet!

Username: Dotcombust

Excellent point Wearenotalone with regards to a class action if it came to that

Username: Dotcombust

also- was my post deleted here? it was under my prior username Jacob_d ... I'm the one who left a post regarding my light engine giving me problems

JVC HD-52Z585
serial #0808600x AA
March 2005 build
purchased from Ubid in March 2005
3-5 hrs per day 5 days/wk - under 1000 hrs
Problems began weekend of Nov 5th 2005
Set plugged into Monster Power Center HT700 surge

JVC is sending the repair shop a new light engine and they said they'll replace it when it arives.. My purchase invoice, serial# and date of manufacture was requested. They also gave me an update that they could replace the engine in house and wouldnt have to take it into shop after all. So I'll probably call them this week since they said the light engines are 2 weeks back ordered and they're waiting on 2 other customers.

Thanks Lynch and Wearenotalone!

Chris A.
Unregistered guest
Question regarding my Philips 42pf7320a? Just bought the philips this weekend and got it home. The few HD channels I pick up via OTA look incredible. The problem is that the regular DirecTV channels look very very soft. I did a side by side comparison of my 32' Toshiba regular CRT and the picture on the Toshiba is considerably better. I have tried adjusting the settings, but am having no luck. By the way, football on the TV is almost impossible to watch. It appears as if it is a recording on a VHS tape with the grainy area surrounding the players as they move or as the camera pans back. Not sure if I should return the TV for a replacement or look at other models.

Do the larger plasma screens even when on 4:3 typically look worse then CRT's?

Thanks.

brother-in-law
Unregistered guest
Another JVC HD52G886 bites the dust. My brother-in-law purchased the set in late July, bulb dimed during Monday night football, popped and passed away on Tuesday (like likegrouch). Poor dude is paralyzed (quad), and football is what he lives for (Dallas fan). Now he has to wait a week or two before a replacement bulb arrives (which, in itself, is not much use to a quad). HHGregg has not been too helpful, but the poor dude is going to keep several people busy on the phone until that set is fixed......

Username: Jdip

To hear sombody rant that hdtv is aa waste of money is a person that can't afford. My HDTV was a fantastic investment and a great joy for our family for just a couple gran ...

Tim Ritter
Unregistered guest
Problem with gradients/tonal gradation/banding:

I have the 52" JVC D-ILA RP unit for almost a month now. I don't have HD signal to input (yet), but have good cables connecting DVD and Dish signals. Most looks very good, and very happy with black levels, color, etc. But, especially in darker images or in large areas of bright color, there is a lot of jaggedy banding of color, similar to what a cheap webcast video would look like on a PC monitor.

For example, when a solid color wall is in the background of the action in a show, and especially when the shot is moving along that wall, there is very noticable jumps from one shade of the color to the next, and the boundaries or edges along those jumps from one shade of the wall to the next part can jump around quite a bit. Some images don't do this, but many do and it is very distracting. I got a good deal on the set, and really don't want to return it, but can't seem to find any posts anywhere stating a similar issue.

We also had an issue with contacting JVC about the wrong remote being included with the unit, and I have yet to be contacted by JVC after 3 weeks!

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 984
Tim-

The JVCs biggest issue is with black levels/detail. It is by far the brightest most vivid set around, but the blacks do suffer a bit. The problem is less noticable with HD content.

As a JVC owner for over a year I find that with proper tuning you can achieve very adiquite black levels and shadow detail. It will never be an inky CRT type black, but I personaly hae no issues with it.

Have you tried turning off all the "enhancements"? Turn off "Dynamic Gamma" "Color Management" and the DNR. They all hurt the picture.

Silver Member
Username: Videobruce

Buffalo , NY

Post Number: 105
The newer 1080 models along with all the models from March on will have the optical iris.

Gordy E
Unregistered guest
Time Warner HD Digital Cable is the worst way to go for HD programming! I decided to try them out because they offered an HD DVR at no extra cost for equipment. What a pain in the A$S! The technical service was horrible, and once I was able to actaully receive cable programming in my house it sucked!, The HD box lasted about 48 hours before it broke (the hard drive cr@pped out mid program). I immediately switched back to DIRECTV where they were glad to have me back.

Here's the sequence of events with TW:
Day 1 - I call to schedule a cable install with HD DVR service, taking care to let them know that my house has never had cable service (satellite only).

Day 2 - Nothing
Day 3 - The tech shows up and immediately tells me that there is no cable line ran to my house from the main service box at the street. No
SH!T, that's what I told the scheduler over the phone. He leaves after "calling to schedule a service install".

7 days later - another tech comes calling. The same events as day 3 transpire. I'm fuming by this point and call the local manager to let him know what kind of winners he has hired.

2 days later the service team comes and runs the line to my house with yet another tech close behind to complete my install.

The only reason I went ahead with their service is because they rewarded my patience with 3 free months of total programming!

Again I called them to pick up their P.O.S. HD box 48 hours later after it completely shut down and I went home to DIRECTV.

The morale - STAY AWAY FROM TIME WARNER CABLE!

Username: Onlookerdelay

Rock Hill, SC USA

Videobruce,

I've decided to postpone my decision in which HDTV rear projection set to buy until I've seen the new JVC 720p line. I see that the new "787" series (G52/56/61) is scheduled to rollout in March. The optical iris you mention in your last post is one of the more intriguing aspects of this year's model. I think the D-ILA models I've demoed thus far have come up lacking in black levels. This dynamic, optical iris purportedly gives the new D-ILA's the upper hand over DLP's in black levels. I guess we'll see next month?

More importantly though... I'm hoping another year's experience might give JVC a shot at resolving the bulb life issues which currently plague their D-ILA sets.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us