Looking to buy a HL-R4266W and need advice on bulb life

Anonymous

I''m looking to buy a Panasonic 44 inch rear projection HDTV and I'm a little concerned about the bulb life. Is this a problem in all rear projection TV's or specifically this model?

To Anon
Unregistered guest
Confused?
The HL-R4266 is a Samsung.
The Phillips lamp has excellent life. (8000+ hrs)

Some Pan...ic models have a major lamp issue.

Anonymous

Looking to buy a PT-44LCX65

I''m looking to buy a Panasonic 44 inch rear projection HDTV and I'm a little concerned about the bulb life. Is this a problem in all rear projection TV's or specifically this model?

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 375
Just put another thousand dollars on the side for the next few years. You will be fine!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Dlp4me

Post Number: 23
That might be true with a Pani.
Not DLP, though!

Silver Member

Post Number: 390
Uh RPLCD and DLP use the same Lamp technology....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
Ahhhh...grasshopper, not the same lamps, my son!

Silver Member

Post Number: 393
NO shyte Sherlock...same technology!!

Read read read....Its a good thing.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
Makes a real difference, absolutely.

The Phillips UPH Mercury Platinum is a work of art.

To Those that say
Unregistered guest
RE: The Phillips UPH Mercury Platinum is a work of art.

So WHY, if this lamp is a work of art are the mfg's installing lamps that are sub-standard?

That fail before the rated period?

( I assume by "work of art" that you mean it DOES reach it's rated lifespan...)

Oh, I forgot.. these sets ONLY have a year warranty on them...

The only reason would be:

LAMP sales = cash cow for the company after the 1 year warranty.

Silver Member

Post Number: 159
LOL

You have a failure to comprehend the fact that you bought a consumable lamp projector.

You seem to think that all lamps should have some special magical ability to be absolutely perfect.

They are not hockey pucks.

Now and then one is going to fail.

Since you failed to read the link I provided, here is the section on lamp life.

"Anyone who deals in (front) projectors would have experienced an early lamp failure versus the 2000 hours typically quoted, but what is meant by 2000 hours?

According to the bulb manufacturers the lifetime a lamp is rated means that half of the lamps
sold will exceed that lifetime in hours and half would have a brightness of more than 50 per cent of their starting brightness.
As an analogy, if (four) shiny new cars were advertised with a two year warranty and a top speed of 100 mph, then by lamp life measurements, the model would be deemed successful if in two years
time (two) were still running and could achieve a top speed of 51 mph. Clearly this is a misleading method of measurement and the industry recognises that a new standard of measurement is required, particularly for the consumer market."

This is the lamp industry's definition, not the set manufacturer's.

Rear projection lamps are typically rated to last three to four times as long as front projection lamps. RPTV's have a smaller area and require less wattage or lumens.

Join the real world, fella!

Silver Member

Post Number: 497
How can we tell which half our lamps will be?

Perhaps the projection TV Market is taking a page from the Printer market with regard to ink? LOL

Silver Member

Post Number: 166
Yea...sure seems like it!

Did you ever read that link?

http://www.cherrywood-av.co.uk/guides/Lamps.pdf

To Those that say
Unregistered guest
RE: Now and then one is going to fail.DLP4me!,

Read the link...

So your saying "Now and then one is going to fail" means only 50% of the LAMPS are expected to work?

That's more than a now and then. (which IS understandable since nothing made by man is prefect.)

I could see 3-5%, but 50% is a joke.

Silver Member

Post Number: 177
That's not what it says!

It says half will exceed the rating and the other half will have a brightness of 50% or more of their starting brightness.

Yes! There will be complete lamp failures, which is not addressed in the definition. I think those failures can occur in both groups. Transportation, on/off cycles, voltage fluctions, heat, and other factors play a role.

To Those that say
Unregistered guest
If you read the pdf it gives an analogy:

If four shiny new cars were advertised with a two year warranty and a top speed of 100 mph, then by lamp life measurements, the model would be deemed successful if in two years time two were still running and could achieve a top speed of 51 mph

Hey, I got a car to sell you... Which one do you want? the one that goes 100mph, or can do 51mph?

According to the rating system used by the lamp mfg's the car that can only do 51mph is "ok".

http://www.cherrywood-av.co.uk/guides/Lamps.pdf
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us