Eye strain

Username: Creeve

Denver, Co

Post Number: 1
Just got a Samsung 50" DLP last week (HLR5067 model) and I was very pleased (actually blown away) with the TV until my eyes felt like I had gone skiing without wearing sun glasses.

This occurred after watching about 4 hours of HDTV both on Friday and than on Saturday night (HD HBO, and two DVDs).

I was sitting about 7 ft away and had all of the lights off since the TV provided alot of light and seemed more like a theater experience.

I have given my eyes a rest for the last 3 days (hurt to look at the screen) and have moved the seating to around 10 ft aways (room small). I have also set up a lamp to shine on the wall behind the TV for ambient lighting.

I have 3 weeks to return the TV for another type (LCOS?) but I really like the DLP picture, features, and price and I am hoping to correct any viewing problems I may have created. The Samsung 'warning' literature recommends that the viewing distance should be approx 4 times the 'length' of the screen (guess they mean diagonal) to reduce eye fatigue from extended viewing. This seems like alot as a minimum.

I am not interested in CRTs (please no replies Tom Bong). I also want to hook my PC up to it without worrying about burn-ins and want to keep the cost low so Plasma does not seem good for me. Also RP LCD seem expensive for a similar size and the picture seems artificial to me (no insult intended to LCD fans just a personal preference).

Have others had eye strain problems and how did you solve them?

Thanks,
Chris

Username: Maulrat

Phoenix

Post Number: 6
Hey Chris, I have the 6167 and have experienced eyestrain as well- pretty much under the same conditions- about 8 feet away, lights off. Ive found that if I have some sorta ambient light on in the room(ie: small lamp) the eyestrain seems to be non-exsistent. Not sure if having the light on has made a difference for you at all..

I do agree- the picture in amazing! HBOHD is awesome!

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 352
The Sun is awesome too but you don't go staring at it!

The overly bright comic book look of those sets are the cause of your "eyestrain" Kind of like listening to music with the EQ at extremes. When you kids are 50 you will be both deaf and blind.

Try turning the contrast and brightm=ness down to film levels....You might even get another few months out of the bulb as well as save your sight.

Bronze Member
Username: Helpful_smurf

Post Number: 72
Tom's ignorance on display again, the bulb is either on or it's off. Changing those settings has no effect whatsoever on bulb life. I'm sure not knowing what he's talking about won't stop him from flapping his mouth though. Even when people beg him to not reply he's like the energizer bunny of annoyance.

As Maulrat says, some ambient light will help.

HS

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 842
Tom Bong-

That has to be the most inaccurate post I've ever read. You obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

Chris-
It has been well documented that single chip DLP sets can cause eye strain during long viewing sessions. While most people do not see the "rainbow effect", your eyes are still effected by the process in which the image is made. DLP works by sending light though a quickly spinning color wheel. Your eyes and mind put this together as a solid moving color image. It works remarkable well for how simple of an idea it is, but it does take some getting use to. New DLP users will generally "train" themselves to viewing TV this way, and the eye strain problems diminish over time. I've played many long Halo 2 sessions on a buddies Sammy DLP, and after 2+ hours I need a good break. My buddy use to be the same way, but he can play endlessly now.

I don't get the eye strain problem on my 3 chip JVC, or my parents 3 chip LCD set. Since a 3 chip system displays all 3 primary colors at once, it is easier on your eyes to view than a single chip format. It doesn't make either format better, just different.

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 360
I like my answer better. The irony was obviously missed in your zeal to prove my "ignorance"

Now you are claiming you have to be "trained" to watch DLP. I cannot believe people are going for this crap!

I do not call millions of tiny mirrors flipping back and forth on a chip reflecting light through a spinning color wheel exactly simple....Seems more like a Rube Goldberg job of old technology trying to look new.

But alas you're "gamers." We all know how astute you duuudes are. LOL Go back to your world of fantasy Lynch. We all know DLP blows your JVC out of the water....LOL

View thru a bong
Unregistered guest
He's never owned a DLP or an LCD.
All he knows is what he reads.
Less than a hundred come to forums with defects.
The trouble-free ten's of thousands don't.
This is his knowledge base, nothing more.
Narrow view, narrow minded, idiotic nonsense blown out of proportion.
Rudeness, misinformation, and sarcastic ridicule are his tools to discourage those seeking information for a DLP or LCD purchase. He heavily prefers CRT.

I equate his message to a snowy grainy projected CRT image. You can tell what the storyline is, but there's something horribly wrong with the whole picture.

Username: Creeve

Denver, Co

Post Number: 2
Maulrat and Helpful Smurf, thanks for your suggestion on ambient light - I have been busy at work and tonight will be the first time to view with ambient light.

Mr Lynch, thanks for your info on how some people experience eye strain when viewing single chip DLPs for extended periods. I will give the TV some more time (while using ambient light). Also I appreciate you mentioning that the problem does not occur with 3 chip systems. If I continue to have problems than before the 30 day return period is up, I will trade in for a 3 chip system (maybe a JVC!). As usual on this forum, you diplomatically provided this info so I can make a decision I feel comfortable with without belittling me for not purchasing the exact TV you currently have.

I recently lowered the contrast (to 50) and the brightness (to 45) but am not sure if this will help my eye strain or just reduce picture quality.

Any setting suggestions from non-CRT owners?

Thanks,
Chris
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us