Panasonic pt-50lc13 lamp burn out

Username: Leshickey

Owasso, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1
my tv is less than 18 mos old and am having to replace 2nd lamp. any ideas on how to keep lamp from burning out so quickly? HELP!! service man coming tomorrow

Username: Davidintel

Post Number: 2
Clean dust filter and try not to shut off and restart tv too much in a short period of time.

ptm
Unregistered guest
PT-50LC13
1st Lamp 5870 hours/20 months
2nd Lamp ?? hours/5 months

I'm on hold now trying to express my disatisfaction to Panasonic. TV is just 2 years old and if lamps are going to go this fast I may just mount it on the top of my car with an appropriate lable for all to see? Does anyone have any suggestions? Previous forum indicated a potential problem with the ballast is such circumstances. Just hate to throw $ at a lemon -- I'll let you know what PANA says,

Username: Newplasmausertv

Post Number: 2
That's why we didn't get a projection TV because we heard that the lamps burn out to often but our plasma burn in issue isn't any better. I guess I just can't win.... So I guess LCD would be the only other option, or tube.

Unregistered guest
After a 40 minute wait for a real person at the Panasonic customer service desk a very curteous person explained that the lamp warranty is now one year. She opened a case number and as soon as I fax the proof of purchase to their Lamp Exchange desk they will ship out a new one to replace mine that burned out after 5 months. (Second burn out in 25 months) Paper work with the lamp I'm sending back stated a warranty of 90 days so I suggest if you have a simular problem you talk to a live one at PANA

You will need to talk to a real person. I sent a email to them yesterday but just received a reply to have a authorized tech. check it out. The lamp is easy to replace and instructions come with the replacement. All you need is a phillips head screwdriver.

I don't know where this petition or class action lawsuit is at but will be happy to add my name to it if given more info.

Username: Davidintel

Post Number: 3
LCD's are one kind of projection tv and they have bulbs the can burn out. They are rather famous for it.

Getting Desperate
Unregistered guest
I am going on my 4th lamp in 2 years. I was told when the last 1 was replaced back in March that there was a bad batch of lamps out there and that this 1 that he is putting in should last. HA HA !!!! Here we go again. I purchased a 3 year extended warranty from 6th Ave. Electronics, but I am afraid that they will just keep replacing the lamps until the warranty runs out. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME. I should not have to pay about $300 every 7 months to watch TV !!! I am considering contacting the Better Business Bureau about this. Anyone have any suggestions??

Unregistered guest
I am having the same trouble. I just burned out my second lamp in 13 months. this is a second tv and gets little use. They are sending me a new lamp and a tech. out to check out my set. I thought I read in another site that the ballast may be bad. My main tv is a sony and this tv is on all the time and that lamp is still going strong after two years. Anybody out there have any more info? Thanks Mike

Unregistered guest
I have posted several complaints on other sites (Cnet, Epinion.com etc). I have replaced mine twice and my freind six times in 2 years. Panasonic is just lying to its customers and denying the problem with defect. I am collecting complaints and names and emails to compile a list to send to BBB and Consumer Affairs to start a recall. may address maragachi at yahoo dot com. i would appreciate anyone's help!!

Unregistered guest
I had my 2nd bulb blow in 2 years. 1st bulb lasted 8 months and the 2nd bulb lasted 11 months. This is totally unacceptable especially since the manual states that the bulb should last 5000 hours. I am currently on the phone with Pany as I am taking PTM's advise on calling them. I hope all goes well as it did with his call. I still think that they should do something to fix the problem.

Unregistered guest
I just got off the phone with Pany customer service and they are shipping me a new bulb for free. They are also sending a technician out at no cost to give my TV a once over. They were really nice and very helpful. All I have to do is fax them my reciept for my last bulb which was under warranty.

harry regina
Unregistered guest
looks like i've just joined a club i didn't want to be a member of. lamp blew out today after considerably less than 5000 hrs on a two year old tv. called Pana.... on hold... gave up.... will be calling to complain next week. lamps could become a recurring cost like cable.... roughly $30 per month!! what a rip

Unregistered guest
Bless you all! I gave up! PC Richard has replaced 4 bulbs and a ballast in 23 months, my fifth bulb just blew on Thanksgiving Day. I've spent over $16,000 on items in two years at PC Richard and with every warranty that is about to expire, they send notice if we want to extend it.
Their first words were "sorry for not notifying you". Other statements included that "we already lost $1200 on your set". And the final answer is that "we won't renew warranties for LCD and DLP".
I've contacted Panasonic and they told me, "we sell millions of these so your case might be just bad luck, sorry". I waited one year to contact Panasonic again and the woman told me that, "I will send this to upper management and you "should" receive a response in 72 hours". Also, I spoke to higher management at PC Richard and he too said, "I agree with you, I'm going to fight for you and get this set exchanged". All this was 2 business days ago and so far nothing.
So people, take the beating, go out and by an old fashioned television, and make a nice $3000 coffee table out of the old tv. Or sit in front of the store where you bought it with the tv and hand out lemons to everyone walking in. I'm done with the aggravation, I'v tried lawyer class action, emails, phone calls, petitions...just to name a few...your choice. Sometimes you have to lose. I just bought a 52 inch, old fashioned rear projection tv (not DLP rear projection, CRT) for $1000 at BestBuy. I can choose to put the Panasonic on Ebay with a warning not to watch more than 50 hours per week, or I can store it until something happens to the Panasonic people to make them recall the set. The least they can do is send (2) bulbs, one for the set and one for the closet. When one blows, you can put the closet one in and mail out the old one for a replacement...all free of charge, of course. Panasonic is a large company so they may be aware of our aggravation but are avoiding it as they have renamed the televsion the PT-50LC14 not 13, or they are so large that we are all a black dot on the radar. Through PetitionOnline I found 1587 signatures including my own with the same lamp problem (TY-LA1000).

Anonymous

class action petition: http://www.petitiononline.com/panbulb/petition.html

David Delnay
Unregistered guest
So glad I got the 4 year Best Buy warranty on my PT-50LC13. I think it's a great TV other than the lamp issue. Maybe Best Buy's no lemon policy will cover me(?) after the 4th lamp blow! My PT 50LC13's lamp has blown twice in two years. Am now waiting (1 wk) on the part to be ordered so I can watch TV again.

Lon
Unregistered guest
Set up you display properly. You can not just buy a display and expect it to work properly. You must use a setup disc like DVE or AVIA. Set the contrast at about 1/3 and the brightness is usually set way to high. They do this to sell TV's on a showroom floor. The brighter it looks next to another unit, the better it will sell. Setting your contrast and brighness to the correct levels will make the lamp last much longer. If you have power outages often, this will also affect the lamp. Get a battery backup. Monster make one just for this.

Unregistered guest
I lost my second PT-50LC13 lamp in 18 months. Year end football games are on and my set goes out again.

Username: Vic001

Clarksburg, NJ USA

I purchased a Panasonic 50" LCD for $2300 in Mar. 2004. The lamp burned out 7 months later (10/28/04) and was fixed by Panasonic (under warrantee).

The same problem occurred 8 months later and my extended warrant (covered by Philips Co)repaired the PC board ballas but not the lamp which, I acquired from Panasonic.

Six months later the lamp burned out again (1/04/06). Panasonic will replace the set I paid $2300 for at a cost of $1500 to me. I said no to this offer. It is a lemon and should be replaced free of charge. Currenly I am out of service waiting for a new $300 dollar lamp to be replaced.

If a class action is started, I'm in.

Unregistered guest
we bought our PT-50LC13 at best buy feb.25 2005., dec 14 2005 lamp burns out, i thought it was a defective part and i wouldn't have to worry about this again. i have set on hold for 1 hr. up to 2 hrs. waiting for a solution. but still nothing. i paid cash so all i got is a reciept that i faxed to them but since i dont have enough on a credit card i cant get a new lamp from them.today was good i found a local dealer that has the lamp in stock and will exchange it for me. now i just have to figure out how to get the old one out. i am very dissappointed at panasonic and will never buy another product made by them again. this was $2000 and to me it is alot of money that could have been spent on something more worth while. i should have researched the tv better before buying it. i will be happy to be added to anything to help.

Unregistered guest

We finally gave up going through panasonic. We went to a registered service dealer, and they gave us a new bulb on the spot. All we had to do was take the old bulb up with a copy of our receipt. The new bulb has an 18 month warrenty on it. After a month without our big TV we are back up and running.

The repair guy said that the problem is with the ballist? it is not working totally right, so it allows the lamp to heat up when you shut the TV off, and that is making them explode. They have new ones and are being repaired at Panasonics expense. However, he said that everyone is having this done right now, cause the parts are on backorder. He said it only takes a few hours to do, so as soon as he gets new ones in he will give us a call.

Just thought I would let you know what story we are getting. Can't be sure it is true or not, but heck at least it is a bit more than I had last week.

Bronze Member
Username: Blld

Amarillo, Tx Usa

Post Number: 13
Hi all,
My pan PT-50LC13 has been acting strange lately.It'd turn off by itself after being ON for about 10 min.then the red light on the power button'd blink steadily and the LAMP would blinks every second.I don't think the lamp is out or needs to be replaced just yet.Anyone have experienced this and have any ideas what to do.Thanks a lot.

Username: Abn_jag

NY

Hi All,

I have a PT-50LC13 that I bought in September of 2003. The lamp burned out in July of 2005 which I replaced at the cost of $250. The TV went out again a week ago. The picture got darker and darker until it finally shut off and would not turn back on. I pulled the lamp and it looks intact (unlike the last time when it was obvious that it had blown)

I contacted customer service and they directed me to a local authorized repair shop. The repair tech said that the lamp and the ballast needs to be replaced ($800).

First, the lamp looked intact and feel like I'm being scammed. Second, how hard is it to replace the ballast myself?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us