DVD players with 720p and 1080i thru components??

DonGotti
Unregistered guest
Are there any DVD players with 720p and 1080i thru component conections?? I have an optoma RD50 and bought a Samsung hd931 but one is dvi-i and the other is dvi-d so it will not work,unless there is some type of convertor.

Anonymous

Yes. The Zenith DVR 318 does great upscaling though component out. Get it from Wildwest Electronics on the web. Check out AVS forum for lots of info on it.

Username: Kjrseattle

Alpine, UT

Post Number: 2
While the Zenith DVR318 puts out a 1080i signal, I do not believe that it does any processing to "upconvert" the image. It merely spreds the 480p signal over more lines (and interlaces them). The Samsung hd931, on the other hand, uses the Faroudja technology to actually enlarge each frame using intelligent interpolation -- much like the way you can enlarge a JPG image using a "smart-sizing function" in a graphics program. This is not simply spreading out the pixels, it uses (I believe) edge detection algorithms and other luminance and chrominance based algorithms to actually increase the detail -- albeit artificially. The advantages of this appear clear when you use the Samsung up upconvert to the native resolution of your HDTV. The difference is quite incredible on my Hitachi 50V500, especially when viewing a digitally created image (e.g. Monsters, Inc.). You may experience some improvement with a non-upconverting system (such as the Zenith) but it is a result of better matching your input and output - not any real processing by the DVD player. FYI, the Samsung doesn't seem to improve picture quality on CRT based systems. But on my Hitachi and on my son's 50" Samsung DLP system - VERY IMPRESSIVE. This also accounts for the fact that with the Samsung you have to PAY for the upconversion - thus the price difference.

Username: Mihas

Ljubljan, Slovenija Slovenija

Post Number: 1
i need regio unlock code for sony SLV-D910,now i'm in regio 2 (SLOWENIA)

Anonymous

The Best one is the Panasonic DVD - S97S

Username: Coold373

Pittsburgh, PA USA

Post Number: 6
Does anyone know if Harmon Kardon plans on coming out with a new player that would be similar to the Samsung, in that it would upconvert to the 720P or 1080i resolution? The DVD22 is an impressive player, and I didn't plan on replacing it until Harmon Kardon came out with a better player.

Bronze Member
Username: Bigfan

Post Number: 52
regarding kenneth's comment about the Samsung 931 not improving picture quality on CRT systems: what about CRT HDTV's? i have a sony 34XBR910. would the samsung improve picture quality on that (vs a standard 480p dvd player)? also, i have seen several samsung models that claim to upgrade to hd: 841, 931, 935, and supposedly a new 941??? can anyone clarify the differences between these?

Fab 5
Unregistered guest
I could be wrong, but i think you need a DVI input on your tv for the better picture quality.

Bronze Member
Username: Bigfan

Post Number: 53
you are correct, you do need a dvi input for the 720p./1080i w/the samsung player. my sony hd crt has that. i'm wondering if there's something about the direct view crt that renders the higher pic quality moot, as opposed to a fixed pixel hd display.`
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us