Please help if possible - SAMSUNG tv not working correctly...

Liadan
Unregistered guest
This is kind of complicated (at least, it is to me):
I have a SAMSUNG TV that I know nothing about (it was recently given to me) and no remote control for. It plays video games just fine, but will not display the channels when I attempt to watch TV.
I have basic cable with a digital converter. The cable streams into the converter, then out again to the TV. That does -nothing-, but I know it is fine because it works on my other TV. I tried streaming it through a (cheap) VCR because I heard that it might somehow help - at first it did nothing, but when I went through all of the channels on the TV (not changing the VCR channle), the higher channels showed a scrambled picture and perfect audio of the channel the digital box was on.
The TV will also not play VHS tapes at all, but the DVD player has no such problem.
ANY advice at all would be much appreciated. Admittedly, I don't know all that much about these things and have no new ideas. Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 1526
How is the box connected to the TV? If it's coax, the TV has to be on the output channel, usually 3 or 4. If it's a line input, the TV has to be set on whatever input you used.

Liadan
Unregistered guest
I really don't know the difference, but I have tried -every- channel; 3, 4, line, and every other (because a friend of mine has one that needs to be on channel 91) just in case - nothing works.
When the cable is straight to the tv, though, not through the VCR, nothing showed up on any channel. Through the VCR, it happened as described above - any way to improve that?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1527
Connect with s-video or RCAs and set the TV on line.

Liadan
Unregistered guest
My TV doesn't have s-video or anything else because regular audio/video hook-ups. Is there anything else I can do?

Liadan
Unregistered guest
besides, not because.

Liadan
Unregistered guest
ALSO
the regular hook-ups i'm talking about are what I used (the RCAs) so...
I DO know how to hook these things up, it's just not working. Is there any information besides what the average person knows (because I do know a little something...) that you can actually tell me? That is the kind of help I'm looking for here.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1535
The tuner in the TV may be gone. Samsung isn't known for quality stuff.. If the box has RCA outs and they work on the TV then it should work that way. You have to set the TV on auxillary. I need to know how everything is connected to offer anything more. How was the video game you said worked connected?

Liadan
Unregistered guest
The game console and DVD player work with just the RCAs, but the VCR does not.
My tv doesn't have AUX, or line really. It calls them Video 1 and Video 2 (but are they essentially the same thing?)
I have not attempted to connect them all at once yet, because even by itself the VCR (and cable, either run through the VCR or straight to the tv) does not work.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1540
Have you connected RCAs from the cable box to the TV? For the cable to work through the VCR, you would need to use RCAs and set the VCR to line, or find what channel the cable box outputs on if using coax. Since you can't find the channel on the TV, you probably won't find it on the VCR either. Maybe you have a bad box that isn't outputting through the RF. Call the cable company and ask them what channel the TV should be on.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us