DVD hook up to cable box

SUlaxer
Unregistered guest
Is there anyway to hook up my DVD recorder to the digital cable box and record movies off cable in 5.1 surround?

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 1506
DVD recorders don't record 5.1, so no.

PatMat
Unregistered guest
Can it be done without recording in 5.1? I have a DVD recorder and a digital cable box. I want to be able to record using the DVD and be able to watch another channel. Using the setup from the manuals only allows you to record what you are watching.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1507
You can watch an analog channel while you record a digital channel, but you can't record a digital channel and watch a digital channel.

PatMat
Unregistered guest
Okay, so would I use a RF splitter to split from the cable outlet. One to the cable box and one to an A/B switch and then out of the cable box to the A/B switch and then to the DVD-R?
The next question then is how do I know what is a analog channel and what is a digital channel?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1509
Split the incoming cable to the box and to the DVD recorder, then use an A/B switch on the recorder and box outputs. Connect the box to the recorder with s-video or RCAs. Then you can record digital or analog channels and you can watch analog while you record digital.

BecksterDexter
Unregistered guest
Does anyone know how to set up a DVD Recorder to record from a Digital Cable box AND be able to watch digital or analog tv from another channel? We're certainly willing to buy gizmos or whatever it takes, but it is difficult for me to believe this cannot be done.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1818
You can record a digital channel and watch an analog, you can record an analog and watch an analog, but you can't watch a digital channel and record a digital channel. Split the incoming cable to the box and the recorder, then out of the recorder to the TV. Connect the box to the recorder with s-video or RCAs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us