VHS to DVD - New Type Question

Username: Tdbmoore

Post Number: 1
I am transferring a catalogue of NFL football games. Some are on VHS and others on S-VHS. I am recording from a VCR (S-VHS out) to a Toshiba DVD/DVD Recorder (S-VHS in). My problem is that I would like no loss in picture clarity in the transfer. At present, the picture loses clarity and gets a grainy look. Tried the transfer using Component connections and tried transferring to a Pioneer DVR 810H and the results were similar. I don't know what I need to help with loss of clarity? Any help would be much appreciated.

Post Number: 2
Sorry, on the alternative approach, used Composite connections, not Component. S-VHS info was correct

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 1491
If you are using XP or SP on the recorder, the DVDs should look better than the tapes. Everything I've done does.

Post Number: 3
I am using what is known as "Best Quality" which is the highest of the 4 qualities on a DVR with Burner. All things recorded directly off Satellite look perfect. I have seen something call Sima GoDVD that say it helps with "crisp" copies, and stabilizes the signal. Their is no jitter in the picture, just a reduced quality on the copy.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1492
The sima is mainly for macrovision, it won't make copies any cleaner. Is it recording on the HD first or straight to DVD?

Post Number: 4
it records to HD first. But what I see on HD and what I see when I transfer to DVD is EXACTLY the same. The DVR interprets the VHS tape as a live program from Satellite, so I can see the quality on screen of the original video tape prior to recording anything. It too, has lost something in the transition. If I bypass the DVD recorder and connect directly to the TV from the VCR, the picture is better. I have gold-tipped cables, but I must be losing some signal strength in the connections.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1493
I think DVRs record in LP, that's probably the problem. LP on DVD recorders sucks to me. I used it a couple of times years ago when I first got a DVD recorder, then never used it again, too poor quality for me.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us