Sony KF-50WE610 lamp problems

Nathan Snipes
Unregistered guest
As many have posted here my Sony KF-50WE610 quit working this week. I had hoped that since mine was already 5 months old that maybe I would be one of what seems to be very few that would avoid the dreaded lamp problems.

Well, it didn't happen. 5 months and 3 days after I purchased the KF-50WE610 I got the dreaded buzz, flashing lights, and red lamp light.

I was very much expecting to run into hassles with BB regarding getting this fixed, but much to my suprise it was very easy. I called their 800 number and was told it was no problem that pretty much everything was covered except for me hitting it with a baseball bat. They said that they would fax an order to a local authorized Sony repair center.

Well, today they came to fix, or so I thought. When I got the call from them saying they were on the way to my house to fix it I hurried home only to find out that they were taking it back to the shop to work on it. URG! They didn't even put it in a protected box. Just carried out to the truck, wrapped a padded blanket around it and strapped it to the side of the truck and off they went. Won't be fixed until next week!! I sure hope they don't dent, scratch, or F#$@ anything else up!!

I tried to talk to them and ask questions about what the problem was, what they had to fix, etc. I'm pretty sure my dog can say more words than they did. I did get something about them having to replace a resistor on the board otherwise this would keep happening.

My frustration really lies in the fact that I bought an 'In Home' extended warranty. Doesn't that mean they come to your home and fix it? Not come to your home and take it away?

Anyone else had similiar thing happen? Anybody have their KF-50WE610 scratched or dented by the repair guy? I assume that if that happens BB will replace it.

Just ranting! I appriciate any comments.

Unregistered guest
I found this forum after my own 50" LCD did the unthinkable so here's my 2 cents about it. A few days before the lamp completely gave up, I already started noticing that the picture was getting darker. Then yesterday,.. *poof*, no picture and the lamp signal was blinking. I noticed a lot of people reported a buzzing sound, but that didn't occur with me. I did call the Sony InHome service and they are aware of the problem like everyone is saying on this forum. I did find out that the lamp they were previously using was made by Phillips. They also claimed that this problem has been resolved and will replace my bulb no charge plus they are extending the warranty. This new bulb is suppose to be higher quality and should be equal if not better quality than the previous bulb. The number I called was 866-443-7116. They are sending a technician but it will take 6 business days. I'm still bummed but hopefully this will be the end of this lamp/bulb problem. Email me if you guys have any questions or anything you guys want to share. Peace.

LanceS
Unregistered guest
I will add to the "disappointed." My 50" LCD is just over 3 months old and it did the same thing...picture off and on over the past two days. We thought we had it beat, when it worked last night, but tonight was another story...same symptoms of everyone else. I guess I have a date with a Sony tech.

Unregistered guest
I bought TWO Sonys in November, a KF42WE610 and a KF60WE610. BOTH have had to have their lamps replaced, the first in February and the second in June. The authorized repair tech said they are replacing lots of these lamps and suggested I contact Sony. I did, and received the following response: "If you had to replace these lamps before 6000 to 8000 hours of usage, I am sure that this is an isolated incident. There are ablsolutely no problems with any of our televisions or their parts." Needless to say, I felt blown off by Sony.

Mitchell89
Unregistered guest
Well I have heard a lot of ranting and raving about the KF-50WE610, and I certainly appreciate the honesty that everyone has shown. One problem I have however, is that I absolutley think this television is awesome. I do not personally own one but I am certain to get one here in the near future. I know I have to be leary of the lamp problem but I have a plan: Once I get one, and feel as though I have an older model with the faulty lamp unit, I'll call for in-home service and have the techs replace my lamp with a newer version BEFORE the old one goes out. I can't wait to watch Monday Night Football and the Sopranos.

Username: Coold373

Pittsburgh, PA USA

Post Number: 9
I have heard that the Sony LCD's do have a problem, something with lamp cooling, that causes them to burn out prematurely. This might be why they took Nathan's set back for repair. I did hear that Sony had resolved that issue with some type of upgrade. This is just what I heard, so I don't know if it is completely accurate. I myself, own a Hitachi 50V500 LCD. I have been told by several techs in the business that lamps burning out has been a common issue with them, even though they claim the lamp gets 6000-8000 hours of use, on average, they are only lasting around 1600 hours or so. This makes sense, given that if you think about it, the bulbs in these sets are very similar to what is used in a normal projector, for example, an InFocus projector that you would use in an office. Those bulbs are rated at about 1600-2000 hours. Because LCD is such new technology, I think these are issues we are going to have to deal with, until the technology matures some. Hopefully, down the road, they will make higher quality and longer lasting bulbs. In the meantime, I usually tell people that are thinking of buying any set that is LCD or DLP technology, to definitely get the extended warranty. I know that Circuit City's warrenty covers bulb replacements. That will pay for itself over a span of four years I think. The only worry I have, is the availability of these bulbs. I'm hearing that in some cases, bulbs need to be backordered and can take a few weeks in getting to you. I guess we will see how things work out with these sets as time goes on.

gopherhockey
Unregistered guest
I too bought a KF-50WE610 at Best Buy and they were really pushing their extended warranty. $399 for extended warranty and were stating that they would give 2 years max on the bulb.

I have been told that Best Buy will really push their extended warranties so I passed on it, but have 30 days to go back and get it. At about 10% the cost of the TV it seems ridiculous to have to extend a warranty. Wouldn't Sony back up their product?

I mean.. if I had the TV for 4-5 years I could understand having to pay to replace a bulb... but in just months? Why should I shell out $399 on top of an already expensive TV....

I can still go back and get it if people think it is the way to go. I could still return the TV too if this is indeed all true. If it burns out in 3 months I feel I'll regret having purchased it even with how nice it is.

Suggestions? Should I take my chance with Sony support or do I pretty much have to bite it and get the best buy extended.

Does anyone know how long Sony would warranty a bulb/lamp?

johnm
Unregistered guest
Because of the problems people are having Sony is covering bulb issues under manufacturer warranty. So you do have 1-year coverage without buying the extended warranty.

gopherhockey
Unregistered guest
I also found the bulb online for around $199. Might be worth buying a spare online.

I have emailed Best Buy to get their take on the $399 extended warranty. I could have saved $300 plus not paid tax had I ordered this TV online (e.g. Crutchfield).

I also sent Sony and email asking them their take on it now as well.

It concerns me that I have a TV that could be just waiting to burn out. Makes me not want to even touch the thing.

gopherhockey
Unregistered guest
This from Sony:

"Sony products are known for it's quality and reliability. These products are not known by Sony to be defective in any way and we are not aware of a problem. Getting an extended warranty is your personal preference and we cannot quote or suggest on that.

Also note that you can easily buy replacement parts and accessories directly from Sony Direct Accessory and Parts Center (DAPC).

Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance.

The Sony Internet Support Team
Online Support and Services Center
SSKP
Vijay"

studranger
Unregistered guest
yeah gopher-at 200 bucks a pop(lamp)my 42 inch sony lcd is 9 months old and im on my 3rd lamp-1st i got 8 months use--then went dim in 2 days--sony sent osram lamp-(no charge)-didnt work out of the box--sent new improved philips lamp--the b model-so far so good--3 weeks use so far-my warranty is up in nov--am i and all the rest of us expected to buy 2 or more new lamps a year?sony wont know us once the one yr warranty is up--sony stinks in that regard-i think i smell a class action suit in the future regarding ALL sony lcd sets

I Feel Robbed
Unregistered guest
13 days into the great Sony LCD, and POP!!!!!!!!! The lamp blows up. I have the 4 year extended warranty, and will have it replaced at no charge.
Sony's customer service is very suspect, I have seen very little posted anywhere praising Sony's warranty, only the extended warranties. Companies like Best Buy and Circuit City have enough clout to get their money back for warranty work during the first year, but the average consumer has little to no power in that regard.

I have 2 weeks to decide if I want to return it and wait for the bugs to get worked out. I have searching in vain for info on the supposed price reduction on the lamps. My Best Buy salesman stated the lamp cost $500 less than a year ago and now it is down to $200. I was also told that these bulbs should get around 5000 hours of use, the TV's half life as I have read elsewhere. We got about 20 total hours.

The 2003 models were the only ones Sony admitted a problem with, and whatever problem that was had been resolved in the 2004 models. I seem to think otherwise on this as well, mine was made in April of 2004. Too many complaints have been posted on the quality of the lamps, or should I say lack there of.

Here in lies the problem.
DLP's have the same lamp issue, maybe not the quick burn out, but the lifespan of a working lamp is about the same. Plasmas have about half the total life of an LCD or DLP.

I think I would prefer to run the 4 year warranty into the ground, which in turn forces the retailers to put pressure on the manufacterer's because of the exremely high pay outs on warranty work, which they are liable for after the first year.

But to end on a high note, the Sony model KF-50WE610 is the highest rated 50" LCD by Consumer Reports. No mention on the lamp issue that I could find.

Unregistered guest
Very interesting. I've been tossing around the idea of getting the KDF-70XBR950. I'm assuming the same problem arises, correct? Or does the XBR use different bulbs? After reading this, I will most certainly purchase the extended warranty. Anyone have any preferences of which store I should buy from? Is BestBuys warranties as good as Circuit City or Goodguys?

Thanks

Anonymous

Orange county,

From my experiences with BB, if you lose your reciept, you lost your warranty. I dont deal with them any more. CircuitCity can look up the reciept for you, in case you lose it. Just a FYI about BB.

Anonymous

purchased a kdf-70xbr950 and two months the lamp went out, called my dealer and he replced it promply. three more months and I'm seeing the screen getting noticably darker I hope this isn't a ongoing problem with this set. High price tv for the service i'm getting from it.
Not real happy so far.

Bob M
Unregistered guest
Just went thru the lamp replacement thing on my KF50WE610. Only had about 20 or so hours on the TV, but found with one phone call to Sony's 800 number, and briefly describing the 'flashing lights' that they would send me a replacement bulb. Called at 6 pm eastern and the bulb arrived at noon the next day here in VA. Bulbs are covered under the std 1 year warranty and replacement is a user thing, so no 'house calls' needed if you can turn a screw. Drag is that the replacement bulb is only warranted for 90 days. I had seen from my looking around on E-bay, that there are two Sony part numbers for the bulb, the old one, and the new one. As the bulb they just sent me has an August mfg date on it, I'm assuming that the A1606034B (straight wire to the bulb vs bent wire on the old one)is the 'improved' version. Hope so, anyway!

Bob M
Unregistered guest
PS - to my above post. I see another post above that mentions the OSRAM model. That was the brand that failed in my set. I didn't look at the barnd name on the new one, but it definitely looked different, wire lead straight, and bulb had a 'blue' cast to it around the edge. I'm hoping the the 'B' the other post mentions is rtefering to the 'B' in the part number I just received and this one will hold up!

Anonymous

I also have had the problem with the bulb not working on the kdf 70xbr950. Is replacing the bulb the only issue ? I've seen on other sites something about "capacitor issues" . Anyone heard of this ?

Anonymous22222
Unregistered guest
I took delivery of a KF50WE610 two weeks ago and already the lamp has burned out. I was told by Sony customer service it could take a week to have replaced. This is bullshit!!! When I purchase a big ticket item such as this TV. I expect it to work for at least as long as the salemen tells me, and if it doesn't. I want it fixed the same day.

Username: Denis54

Post Number: 6
Is there any way to check for how many hours a lamp as been used? Or do you just wait untill it stops working?

Bob M
Unregistered guest
On the lamp hours, just have to do your own estimating about how long you have run the TV. Capacitor issues - haven't heard that one. Ordered my TV directly from Sony in October 2003 and finally got it in March 2004. As it came thru a friend-Sony employee sales, I thought the delay was related to just too much demand to allocate any sets to employee sales. Since the price was realy great, I didn't mind waiting. BUT - after hearing about the bulb thing, I sort of thought they held them up to fix whatever was causing the problem. I think now, however, that the problem is the brand of bulb that is being used. Original was an OSRAM. Now it's a Philips. Once they had the new supply set up, they probably figured 'ship the sets with the old bulbs, replace them - no questions asked - when people call in on the 800-222-7669 number (see my above post) and send them the new brand bulb. At least, that's my theory and I hope it's right and that I get 2000+ hours out of the new bulb, butI'm open to hearing others!

bignerd
Unregistered guest
I bought an LG 44" DLP TV in late August. The salesman said I didn't need an extended warranty -- just plug the TV into a surge protector and I should be good to go for 8000 hours or so.

Well, last weekend, about 5 weeks after my purchase, my lamp went out. After about a dozen long and frustrating calls to LG customer service they tell me that its covered under LG's warranty, but I can't get the lamp for at least three weeks. I've had enough. I'm bailing on this unreliable technology and trading the unit in for a plasma. Lucky for me the retailer will take it back as a trade. I think the retailer is going to replace the lamp (if and when they can find one!!) and resale the thing.

Good luck DPL and LCD owners.

Bob M
Unregistered guest
I make no warranty about the following info, but I did find this on the net. I have deleted the author's e-mail address and hope he won't mind passing along his opinion and info, FYI.

His post:

Make sure you get the right bulb for this set

Aug. 2 2004

Pros: Picture
Cons: Bulb problems

Recommended: Yes
Has Owned Product: 8 Month(s)

Ease of Use Very Good - Fairly easy to learn and use
Picture Quality Excellent - Better than real life
Sound Quality Average - Acceptable sound quality

Comments:
Great TV, great picture, but I can't give it 5 stars because of the bulb problem. I spoke to a Sony tech support person who personally dealt with this problem during the first of the year (when the problem was really getting noticed) and is quite versed in the solution. There was a manufacturing defect in the first bulb used in the early sets (Philips bulb, Sony part # A1606034A). This bulb was known to cause a problem during lighting or ignition. It would cause the TV to %22buzz%22 several times while turning the TV on. After 3 times buzzing, the TV would turn on the lamp light indicating a failure. This was on TVs that were only a few months old.

The replacement bulb, made by German company Osram, appeared to fix the problem. Soon after, they went back to a Philips bulb (Sony part #A1606034B; note the B). This is apparently the final solution. I received this new bulb last week and have used it in the TV for the last few days. Unlike the original Philips bulb, I can turn the TV on/off rapidly without problems. The original bulb would complain with a quick buzz when doing this repeatedly.

My opinion: as long as you get the updated bulb (check if you can), you should be OK. AWESOME picture once all the kinks are straightended out.
End of original post.

My observations: Sony now has a replacement model KF50WE655. That might be the ultimate 'fix'.

Unregistered guest
I had a problem with the lamp in my Sony KF-50WE610. After about 4 months of not heavy use my lamp went out. I was ready to just go out and buy a new replacement but the store I purchased it from didn't have the lamp in stock. I tried all the local stores and the price ranged from $199 - $250, but not in stock. I decided to call Sony and to my surprise, they replaced the lamp free of charge and it arrived the next day by FEDEX.

All in all, the KF-50WE610 is an excelent set with a great picture. However, if the lamp issues are not fixed I'll be pissed. I don't want to go through lamp replacements every 3-4 months. Consumers shouldn't have to factor in approx. $600 yearly to replace faulty lamps. Beware if you're a TV junkie and have the set on constantly.

The one bright spot was customer service, without any hassle I was sent a replacement lamp quick. 25 hours from phone call to FEDEX at my door. I commend Sony Customer Service. Great!!!!!!

Username: Bgrvdub

Post Number: 1
Well 1 year and 2 weeks from date of purchase, my bulb goes zoink! Three hours before my favorite team (AUBURN TIGERS) took the field. aBummer to have to watch it on the 20" JVC in the bedroom. Hey that set is 15 years old plus without any problems. Anyway, after much ranting and raving with the folks and about an hour on hold through two different phone calls, they are replacing my bulb free of charge. All I had to do is fax them a copy of the original receipt and reference the event # from the complaint. I too think I will get a spare to have around. Anyone that comes up with a cheap source, please post and let me know.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
" I too think I will get a spare to have around. "

The only problem with that idea is that the spare bulbs have only a 90 day warranty from Sony. That is 90 days from date of purchase so the minute you take delivery the timer is running on both your replacement and your spare bulb.

xvxvxvx
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us