DVI to HDMI cables - HELP do i need them

Username: Paulshore

Post Number: 1
i just bought a 30" westinghouse LCD HDTV and was told to buy dvi to hdmi cables to make the picture look the best. My cable guy came to install the hd box and said that is a ploy to beef up the commission and to return them. I had to spend $100 on the DVI to HDMI cable and $60 on sound cables. Is this necessary? i have ot hooked up ith the y, pb, pr cables and i think it looks great? Help!!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Avernus

Post Number: 44
you can buy gold plated dvi to hdmi cables online for like 25.00....they work great for me....and it's better than ypbpr cables

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 275
Paul, the debate over PQ and what connections you use are open to difference of opinions. I think you answered the question for yourself " I have it hooked up with the YPbPr cables and I think it looks great" If it looks good to you with the component (YPbPr) cables, then do you really need to spend the extra $160 for the HDMI to DVI plus audio? I would say no. I do know most places are really selling the "HDMI makes the pictures look better", although I've seen two side by side one HDMI to HDMI, the other Component and aside from the sound difference, I really didn't see any significant increase in PQ from the HDMI.

Bronze Member
Username: Avernus

Post Number: 45
160.00?...that's insane....I would agree that paying that much would be a bad deal...

But that's why I spent 25.00 on mine, I used to have ypbpr cables on my DVD players...but now I have hdmi/dvi on 2 of my DVD players and one HD STB...

There is a difference...and it's well worth the 25.00, but not worth 160.00...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us