Any Suggestions

Username: Hogwild

Post Number: 4
I'm setting up a basement home theatre.

The drywall is next - so I need to define my projector and placement.

I have little to no experience with home audio or theatre.

I had a look in a couple of showrooms.

In Front Projectors I've seen a high end LCD Marantz (loved it but $19000.00) a mid level DLP Runco $7000.00 (hated it) and a Sony vplhs51 LCD $5000.00 (loved it).

All were in ambient light controlled showrooms on Stewart Screens.

Having seen the Runco DLP, and only two LCD's, I have not been impressed by the DLP technology.

So far - I would be happy with the Sony.

Do you have any suggestions for other projectors I should look at - comparable to the Sony.

Silver Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 105
The best resource for reviews and comparisons is http://www.projectorcentral.com

I found that the Hitachi PJ-TX100 Ultravision is every bit as good as the Sony, and gray-market Ebay prices are ~$1300. While I normally wouldn't support gray-market sellers, the disparity between MSRP ($3995) and their prices makes it a no-brainer, even if I would have to pay for repairs out of pocket.

Others seem to like the Panasonic AE700U but I found it to be pretty dull compared to the Hitachi and others. Sharp makes a fairly inexpensive DLP that's supposed to be pretty good, but I have not seen it to compare. Good luck.

Username: Hogwild

Post Number: 5
Thanks for the information.

It's really hard to find a showroom to view these.

I live just east of Toronto Canada and travelled 60 miles to view the sony.

If anyone has a setup near me I'll bring the beer.

Silver Member

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 108
Rob, that is a problem. Even in my large metropolitan area (philadelphia) there are only about a dozen places showing projectors, and only a handful have more than 1 or 2. And even those typically only had 1 under ~$5k US. Here's a pretty good comparison article of 4 of them (Sony, Hitachi, Panasonic, Epson): http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=802&page_nu mber=1

Unregistered guest
Rob, since you live in Ontario. I have found this site that has very cheap prices for projectors (gray market). They are located in Hamilto, Ontario. I don't know how risky it is to deal with them, but the prices are very good. Check this:

http://www.eastporters.com/index.htm

Anonymous

Grey market=NO WARRANTY=More money=UNSATISFIED. Buy only from authorized dealers and you can be sure of what you are getting and be protected by the manufacturers warranty

Silver Member

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 132
Anonymous, that is a generalization that is simply not true in all cases, especially when the projector has a vastly lower list price in its home market. As I said re: my Hitachi projector (which works perfectly by the way), my purchase price was 1/3 the US retail price. The lowest price I could find from an authorized dealer was $3299 - or 2.5 times what I paid for mine. I would never buy from an unauthorized dealer to save $100 - in that case it's NOT worth it. But to save $2000? Any day of the week and twice on Sunday. That $2000 will cover a lot of out-of-pocket repairs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us