Question about my cable setting

Username: Nyrfan

Post Number: 1
I just recently purchased a Sony KDF-60XS955 (LCD TV) and have it on Bright House Networks cable here in Orlando.

My Question:
In the setting on the cable box under video output only 1080i is checked. There is an option to have 1080i, 740p, 480i, and 480p. I tried checking them all but when I change the stations before tuning in completely it gets fuzzy for a second or two so I know this is not the best option. What option/s should I have checked here? Is 1080i the only one? Is it the wrong one? Please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Felix

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 253
Are you connected with HDMI or Component cables? Regardless, when you select all output formats, the brief interruption of your picture is the STB reformatting the output type. Say you're on an HD channel (1080i) and switch to an Analog channel (480i) the STB has to change the format to match what you selected. Being that you didn't indicate which way you are connected to your TV, I'd wager you're using HDMI because that's the only time you would see a fuzzy picture. Usually on the component you'll see a "blip" with some lines then the picture comes in. The preferred way to deal with this is to have your composite cables or S-video connected to your TV via STB. Watch all HD channels on your Component or HD input, all digital and analog channels on your composite or S-video input. Otherwise you see the problem you are describing. Hope that helps

Post Number: 2
OK lets see if I can get this right.
1-Correct! I am using HDMI
2-I Should have all the video outputs checked (1080i, 720's & 480's)???
3-What is STB?
4-Are you saying to use both S-video (or composite) and HDMI (Or compoment)? If so how do I do that? And how do I wathc them seperatly? Should I have a video 1 (S-video) and a video 2 (HDMI) on my TV?
5-Should I just go with component video cables?
Felix

Bronze Member
Username: Avernus

Post Number: 38
Felix, I just recently hooked up a Hitachi 57" HDTV last night and the DVI made the screen all snowy and at times the pic would come in half-way for a half a second...

I took out the DVI and left the component cables in...it worked fine from there on...it could be your HDMI plug maybe...

also, 3)STB= set top box....and what he's saying about the S Video 4) is to have that put in so the non-HD channels have a better picture...also your TV setting might have to be changed to HD...it could be something small...

I bought a Toshiba 30" for my room and the HD didn't come in until I selected 1080i in my menu...

Post Number: 3
Donald,
So I have "S Video" on lets says video 1 on the TV and HDMI on Video 2 and switch back and forth between video inputs depending on what type of signal I am watching? Or am I missing something here

Bronze Member
Username: Avernus

Post Number: 41
if you use the HDMI....you're good....you don't need anything else..usually...unless it appears faulty or the plug is malfunctioning...

if you use component cables ypbr (or whatever they are called)...you should use s-video with that or anything lower....

and in this case, it looks like you'll have to do that...but just make sure you remove the HDMI plug before hooking anything up...and turn it off 1st

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 256
OK from the top
1. Like I suspected you're using HDMI, that explains why you are seeing the snow between channels
2. If you have all the output formats selected you will continue to see the snow, if your only output format is set to 1080i, you will no longer see the snow between channels but you will not see the proper picture quality (see recommendation on inputs)
3.STB= Set Top Box or your "cable box"
4.Input selection is an option if you choose S-video over composite video it really doesn't matter which one... just remember analog and digital channels should be viewed on these types of inputs. One or the other but not both at the same time, there's no benefit having both types connected since you can only view one at a time anyway. Using component over HDMI, well if your HDMI works use it, I personally don't see any significant difference in HDMI over Component cables and don't need somebody to tell me otherwise I've heard all the arguments about which is better...doesn't matter to me they both work use one and use it only for watching HD content not analog or digital. Switch inputs using your TV remote to the input you connected your STB to...lets say Video 1 is your composite input and Video 5 is your HDMI... analog/digital channels watch on Video1, HD channels on Video5.
5. Only if you want to....see above ;)

Post Number: 4
Cableguy,
I've done it your way, Super Video on one TV input and I went with component over HDMI on the other..The reason I went with component is I have the digital out from my STB to my receiver. Don't want to have to switch it every time I want to hear DD through the receiver. If I have the audio option set to HDMI I get nothing from my Optical commection.

Anyway this setup will take some time to get used to. If I choose to use just component (I know not your recommended way) can I leave all the options on i.e. 1080, 720, 480 and at least get a decent picture or will I still be lacking a lot.

TIA,
Felix

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 258
Felix,
Yeah the audio option kind of kills user friendly applications. When using HDMI the audio has to be told where to go, the reason for this is some TV's don't support digital audio and when the STB gets the information back from the TV what to send it wasn't being told to send digital audio so it was overriding the optical or AC3 output. The software patch to correct this leaves you with either pass digital audio to the HDMI or the digital dolby, but not both simultaneously.

Anyway...since you are using component and not HDMI, there is really no harm leaving all the output formats on, I don't like to see it used that way, but if you're happy with the quality from the component inputs I'm not going to say change it. Options are just that, what I usually recommend is connect a composite cable, view analog channels on composite and then switch over to your component and see which one looks better. If you don't see a huge difference then stay on the component for sake of ease. Hope that helps

Post Number: 5
Cableguy,

Thanks for your help! I really like the idea of using the two TV inputs; problem is I have a wife and constant houseguests (we just moved recently to FL so we have never ending visitors) so you can probably understand my problem. There is just no way I can explain all this to them in a way they'd understand. Plus they probably mess it up all my setting in the end. I'll just have to figure out a mix of both to make all parties involved happy!

Anyway back to the audio: I have an optical out on my TV and cannot seem to get it to work. This would be an easy fix for my HDMI audio issue; Cable HDMI to TV IN HDMI, TV optical out to receiver optical in. This way I don't have to worry about switching HDMI to DD every time I want to listen through my receiver. BTW -- I have the same issue with my DVD as it's HDMI too and this would solve that as well. Otherwise I'll have to go to component video on my DVD. Now that I know there is not much of a difference I don't mind doing that but I REALLY want to know why the hell the opt out on my TV would product any sound! I just cannot get any sound out of the TV opt out. Any ideas?

Here is my other dilemma I cannot figure out for the life of me. I have a SA 8300HD DVR. On my old STB SA8000 I used to be able to turn to a music station have the audio run through my receiver and would shut the TV off. No reason to have the TV on nothing to see on the digital music station. Problem with this STB is when I do this and shut the TV off shortly afterward the STB powers down. I thought this might me because if the HDMI connection but it even did it yesterday with the component connection. Any ideas?

Felix

Silver Member
Username: Kdog044

Post Number: 172
Felix, if your TV is like mine it doesn't pass DD5.1 or DTS from the digital output when receiving audio via HDMI from another source such as STB or DVD player, only Dolby 2.0. The only time I can pass 5.1 or DTS is from the cable card input

Post Number: 9
Ahh, that might answer it. But I canot get any sound, not even Dolby 2.0. Do you get anything out of yours?

Felix

Silver Member

Post Number: 175
Felix, I can get PCM (2.0) audio from my digital output. My guess is there is a setting in either the source (DVR and DVD)and or the display to enable the digital output.

Silver Member

Post Number: 176
Felix, just to clarify things I get digital audio (PCM) output from my DVD player (HDMI). Since my STB only has DVI I can't tell you if the same would hold true for the STB but I imagine it would.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 260
nice post Kdog, nice to see ya back again.

Felix, have you figured out where the problem is yet?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Thanks to cableguy and all others for your help & advice! Here is what I did over the weekend to tweak my setup (100% reconfigured)

1- Cable comes in then splits: To Cable Box & Tv

2- Cable box out to: VCR (via A/V Jacks) & to TV on input 7 (via HDMI & Coax Digital Output). This allows me to have PCM 2.0 with non HD channels & DD 5.1 with HD channels. Settings on cable box for input 7: Audio: Dolby Digital, Video HDMI (1080i, 720p). No sound through TV, only receiver. Can have sound to TV by changing Audio on cable box to HDMI. Will do this when company comes.

3- VCR (L1) out to TV on Input 3 (Via A/V cable). This input has cable box settings of Video: 480i & 480p for non HD station viewing as per cableguy instructions, this way non HD stations can be viewed properly. Audio is through A/V cable and can be listen through the TV or receiver.

4- Receiver Inputs: Input 1- Cable (Digital Audio, no video), Input 2- VCR/Non HD TV from audio output of TV (Audio Cable only, no video), This allows Dolby Pro Logic 2 through my receiver for VCR tapes), Input 3- PS2 (Super Video & Digital Audio Cable), Input 4- X-Box (Super Video & Digital Audio Cable), DVD Input - (Digital audio, no video), CD on CD, Tape on Tape, Outputs: Super video to TV (Input 1)

5- DVD connected to TV via component video and audio cable on Input 5 and Digital Audio cable direct to receiver.

6- TV has: Input 1- Receiver, Input 3 - VCR, Input 5 - DVD, Input 7 - Cable, Ant input - Analog cable channels 1-99. Output: Audio cable to receiver.

What have I accomplished with this:
1- Lots of learning!
2- Basically everything I wanted plus more.
3- Cableguy's recommendation of HD on one input with 1080i & 720p & non HD channels on another input with 480i & 480P

Hope this all makes sense!

Thanks again,
Felix

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 262
Glad to hear you everything is working to your liking. There are easier ways to do what you did, but you gotta learn to crawl before you can run. Thanks for updating us and we'll be here for future questions

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Can you just give me a quick example of what might have been "easier".

Thanks,
Felix

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 263
Depending on what receiver you're using, I find running everything through the receiver first then to the TV with monitor outputs works best. Example: VCR/STB/Game unit using composite video into receiver. There is one composite monitor output to a single composite input on your TV. Instead of having to change your TV input everytime you want to see a different device, you can leave the TV on the same input, and switch the receiver input. Less hassle trying to match stereo inputs to TV inputs to devices being used, and I'm not a big fan of using the audio output from the TV, due to variable audio output sound quality. :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Unless I am missing something, that's basically what I did with the exception of the DVD. Even if I ran the DVD to the receiver I'd still have to switch the TV video.

I have 4 formats HDMI, component, composite & super thus I need 4 separate formats (video in's) on the TV to accommodate. An HDMI, A Super (Both video game systems, composite (VCR) & Component (DVD).

If I was able to run 4 different videos to the receiver I'd still have to switch the TV inputs to accommodate the video switch, correct?

For example: If all ran through my receiver and I was watching DVD (Component) then switch to Cable (HDMI) on my receiver, I'd still have to change the video inputs on my TV to accommodate the video format change, correct?

In short I have 4 video formats & 4 video inputs / switched on my TV. I don't think with what I have I can have less then 4 TV inputs to be switched.

Felix

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 265
yes, if your receiver has more then one component input you could cut your TV inputs down to 2 component and composite, receiver does all the switching between similar formats

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
OK you have defiantly got me confused and VERY curious (I love to learn this stuff)

I have the Onkyo TXDS 797, it has 5 total inputs including 2 component inputs and no HDMI on it. Here is what I have video wise 2 super (Video games), 1 HDMI, I Component, & 1 composite. How the heck would I be able to cut down two TV inputs with this?

In short what would I have to move to achive this?

Felix

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 266
get a different receiver :-) Sorry cableguy humor... sorry it was confusing, I should have better clarified my answer in the first place, instead of generic.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
So is there nothing I need to change beside the receiver that would achive what you would have done? What is my receiver missing?

BTW - Was loking to get a new receiver with your advice my wife should definatly go for it.

Felix

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 268
HDMI inputs/more composite inputs would give you better options on your receiver. Don't let my rambling fool you, what you have is good for what you're using it for. All I was trying to convey was using the receiver to do all the switching between same formats, i.e. composite or component, makes it a lot easier then having to switch TV inputs, then stereo inputs to match what TV input you're on.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
I have 5 composite inpits on my unit none of which are being used. How would I use them?

As for HDMI I only fine 3-4 receivers with this option to date.

Felix

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
I have 5 composite inputs on my unit none of which are being used. How would I use them?

As for HDMI I only fine 3-4 receivers with this option to date.

Felix

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Cableguy,

I'm going to guess here that you are going to say that since my receiver has composite to S-Video conversion, that I should run my VCR directly to the receiver and have it converted and then leave my receiver as S Video to the input on the TV for S video, thus getting rid of 1 input (The composite input) on the TV. Is this correct.

I never knew about this Composite to S-Video feature until today.

So is this what you would suggest to do?

Felix

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 271
Sorry had to deal with a customer issue in home, anyway, no I'm not saying composite to S-video. I'm just saying if you have a receiver that can handle all of your input needs, the single output modes of each format, be it composite/S-vid/component/HDMI/DVI would cut your TV input selection down to just three composite or s-video(whichever you go with) component and HDMI.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Well I can cut it to 3 (From 4)by using the composite to s-video conversion on my receiver which I am going to do.

The only thing my receiver cannot handle is HDMI.

I may even forgo the HDMI and do Component to the receiver for both DVD & Cable thus bringing me down to 2 TV inputs. I'm considering this one but am not sold on it as I feel HDMI is giving me a better picture then Component.

Felix

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 273
Personally I like the audio from the HDMI, but I really don't see that big of an improvement from HDMI to Component. However, IMHO, I think it's a placebo thing, where it is you spend a lot of money on the feature/wiring so of course you can say they look better because it cost more it must be better. Not saying your wrong and I'm right, I just don't see that big of a video quality difference, but definately can hear the audio difference. It's all about what works for you in the end, not what works for me.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
OK here are my final settings:

TV:
Video 1: Receiver
Video 7: Cable (HDMI with no audio -- Audio goes through receiver with optical connection)
Video 8: DVD (HDMI with no audio -- Audio goes through receiver with optical connection)

Receiver:
DVD - DVD - optical audio cable only
Video 1: Cable - optical audio cable only
Video 2: VCR - A/V composite cable (Composite to S video conversion). Also used for 480i & 480p broadcasts
Video 3: PS2 - SVideo & optical audio cable
Video 4: XBox - SVideo & optical audio cable
Video 5: Sirius satellite radio

Bought a Logitech Harmony 880 remote to simplify life for wife & house guests---Works GREAT!

Thanks again for all the tips & input.

Felix

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 280
Glad you got it all worked out. I'm envious, you don't want to know what I'm watching when I go home lol

Username: Switchedon

Post Number: 8
so.... you should only use the HDMI video input when watching a DVD or HDTV. Standard TV should be viewed via composite...because composite is an analog connection??

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 300
Correct. Composite or S-video take your pick. I try to reason it like this: Ask yourself what does HDMI stand for? High Definition Multimedia Interface, it's not Analog Multimedia Interface. Yes it can support Analog(480i) and Digital(480p) but it really doesn't do a good job of passing a good picture along as you will see if you check between composite and HDMI inputs. You should notice the picture looks a little out of focus while viewing an Analog channel on the HDMI and sharper when viewing it on the Composite input. Anyway...give it try and see which one looks better.

alan_sd
Unregistered guest
Felix & cableguy-

Your experiences may help me solve the issues I've been having with my STB (SA 8300HD) and Sony plasma (KDE-42XS055). The STB is connected via HDMI to my plasma on Video 6. The audio is connected to my Sony receiver via optical cable so I can enjoy DD5.1. The problem is the STB sends these loud intermittent white noise once in a while and the only remedy is to restart the receiver or STB. The audio setting on the HDMI is DD5.1. With the SA 8300HD, the digital audio outputs (coax and opt) default to whatever the HDMI is set. Thus I cannot simply turn off the audio on the HDMI since it will shut off the other digital outs. Any idea on why the audio signal "hiccups" like this?

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 329
No idea on why you're hearing the "hiccups", although, I have seen where certain models of recievers do this while others don't. I know it has something to do with tag stream for the digital audio, but don't know why some hear it and others don't. Question back at you, have you tried disconnecting the HDMI and use component cables to view your HD channels? Try that if you can and see if the problem still exist, it may help both of us understand if it's only doing when using HDMI, it may be an interface issue.

alan_sd
Unregistered guest
Thanks cableguy for the comments. Well, when I first got my HDTV, I was using component cables with optical cable to the receiver. Someone told me that HDMI would be better so I bit the bullet and got one. Come to think of it, the "hiccup" thing in the DA did not happen until AFTER I switched to HDMI so I suspect you are right. I think it has something to do with the audio setting in the SA 8300HD. I do not like the fact that I cannot simply turn off the audio stream through the HDMI. This could be perhaps the root of the problem. As I too do not see a remarkable difference in video quality between component and HDMI, I may revert back. But having just spent $40-$50 on a 6 ft HDMI cable almosts forces me to use it!

Unregistered guest
I received a Toshiba SD-4980 DVD player that has HDMI (up-conversion) output. My TV is a Mitsubishi WS-65611 HDTV. the Mit has a 480/720/1080 Component Iput. Is it possible to use the HDMI output from my DVD player or must I use the DVD's Component Output to a 480 Componemt Input on my TV and just forget about the Up-Conversion capability of my DVD?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us