Why connect both analog audio & digital audio to receiver?

Kevin B.
Unregistered guest
I just bought a Kenwood VR-6070 A/V receiver and was hooking up my Pioneer DV-250 DVD player to it. My manual for the DVD player says to 'connect the analog audio cables to the receiver even if you are using a digital connection.' I'm just wondering why? All this seems to do is use up an extra audio input. The digital coax is hooked to the DVD/6CH input and the analog is hooked to the CD/DVD audio input on the receiver.

Bronze Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 27
well, i don't know why you would HAVE to hook both types of connection up. there is at least one reason i can think of that it might be suggested.

i own an onkyo dvd player and reciever. i use the digital cable for nearly all of my DVD viewing AND CD listening as the sound quality is just a little better using my reciever's D/A converters. there's one hitch though, i can't use the reciever's D/A converters to record audio :-(

any recordings i make have to be done through my DVD player's analogue outs. if i want to grab a bit of dialogue or a piece of soundtrack music or make a CD dub to tape, digital won't work. my reciever won't convert a digital in into an analogue out.

that might be why it's recommended that you use both methods. one other POSSIBLE reason might be that the reciever doesn't convert all digital formats. it might not handle 96/24 DVD-A signals, SACD, DTS, THX or other newer formats.

if you get all of the function you need out of a digital cable, that should be all you really need. it could have also been a misprint that you need one or the other.

hope that answers your question

Kevin B.
Unregistered guest
Thanks, that helps. I checked my receiver manual(Kenwood) and it does convert digital to analog for recording. Maybe the DVD manual(Pioneer) is just trying to avoid customer calls if it's hooked to a receiver such as you stated.

Username: Oknessad

Post Number: 2
I have a question related to this and also something to add.

I have a Harman/Kardon DVD 50 that I just got and it decodes HDCDs and my receiver will not. If I want to listen to HDCD I have to send the signal through the analog outs and let the dvd player do the D/A conversion. So, as budget said, it could have to do with formats your receiver can't deal with.

My question would be, should I just hook up both and the dvd player will be smart enough to route Dolby Digital and regular cds out of the coax out and then know to switch when it encounters a HDCD? My guess would be no... So would there be a setting within the menu's somewhere or should I just unhook the analog outs until I want to play something through them?

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 252
no the dvd player will just output on both and
you would have to select the input on the reciever.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us