DLP Burn in?

Bronze Member
Username: Kaotik78

Post Number: 12
Yesterday I was at Circuit City getting some things and happened to get into a conversation with one of the guys over there about tv's. I mentioned to him that one of the reason I got the DLP set was so I could play games on it with my PC and use it as a monitor. He looked at me and said "yeah if you want to get screen burn in". I looked at him and said, no your mistaken dlp's do not get burn in. He argued that LCD and plasma's do not get burn in, but DLP screens do. Honestly I think he doesn't know which end is up but I figured I'd get it sorted out here. So can I use my DLP as a PC monitor without fear of burn in? One thing I did happen to notice is that on my samsung DVD player, with all the lights out, if I go to press a button and the no red circle pops up in the upper right corner of my screen, after it goes away, you can still see the circle there, almost like it is burned in. Any thoughts on this?

Bronze Member
Username: Hd_fanatic

Boise, ID

Post Number: 53
Whoever you talked to has dyslexia. Burn-in is NOT a concern with DLP, but IS with plasma, and to a much, much lesser extent LCD. The only burn-in I have seen on a LCD was on a flat panel control screen, where the thing was on for 24/7 and displaying the same images for several years. Was this coming from a salesman?

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 190
I'll clear this up!

Burn in requires a chemical such as phosphorus, plasma, or protein to sustain a certain excited state of alteration from it's dormant state.
Only chemicals have that ability.

The DMD chip in a DLP set is by definition a "digital micro-mirror device". The chip, whether .55 or .8 inches square in size, contains thousands of tiny mirrors that pivot and reflect natural light. The lens only magnifies this manipulated natural light to a screen that displays this natural light. The light is not a sustainable chemical substance nor is the screen.

With DLP, it's all done with light and mirrors.
That's why a new lamp will render the display as brilliant and vibrant as the first day you saw it.

While the life of the DMD chip has not been determined exactly, accelerated lab endurance tests have put it beyond 30 years. When chemical displays deteriorate, that's the end of their life. Many fail during the first ten years and some fail far sooner.

As for your red circle, I can look at any bright light, then look away or turn it off and still see a remnance of it. Such is the nature of our own retinas.

Sonji
Unregistered guest
"Burn in requires a chemical such as phosphorus, plasma, or protein to sustain a certain excited state of alteration from it's dormant state.
Only chemicals have that ability."

Not exactly. An LCD screen can "burn" an image if left on for a very extended time. While not a chemical process, the crystal simply "forgets" its natural state and won't unwind. However, the odds of this happening are extremely remote.

Anonymous

FYI is correct!

It took a chemist trying to find the boiling point of a cholesterol based substance to discover liquid crystals.

A liquid crystal is comprised of an organic or synthetic liquid containing mesogens. These are particals, atoms, and molecules that can align themselves and act like a solid crystal to manipulate light. These particles can be triggered to align through temperature changes concentrations, and electrical impulses. Some of these mesogens include polymers, clay platelets, proteins, viruses, and even DNA.

All types of liquid crystal phases are a direct result of some form of chemical process.

knowitallalmost
Unregistered guest
LCD's can suffer from "image persistance" which is like burn-in, except the screen can be exercised to correct it.. If a LCD always or usually has the same unmoving image on it AND that part of the screen rarely or never displays white, the crystals are "used to" being oriented in a particular direction (becoming magnetically aligned with each other) .. . The top right corner of my LCD monitor used to have a faint minimize, maximize, and close box. They just need to be shaken up or forced off axis. Creating a white screensaver (turning off power save functions, and altering your desktop theme) corrects this rather quickly (1 or 2 days) also when the LCD buld is replaced it's as good as the day you bout it, same as DLP.. many plasma screenm manufacturers are using a scheme of shifting the entire image a few pixels left right up or down as a method of dealing with burn in.. (they usually list a slightly larger non standard pixel count. I think LCD will eventually push plasma of the map. http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/lcd3.htm

To knowitallmost
Unregistered guest
"also when the LCD buld (bulb) is replaced it's as good as the day you bout (bought) it, same as DLP"

What a totally ignorant statement from a totally ignorant illiterate as$.

The organic matter in a liquid crystal will alter with light over time and not recover, ever.
The display will ultimately be rendered unwatchable and unrepairable.

fx
Unregistered guest
"The organic matter in a liquid crystal will alter with light over time and not recover, ever.
The display will ultimately be rendered unwatchable and unrepairable.
"

Lcd's were discoverd by a botanist who accidentally boiled some cholesteryl benzoate, thus the modern day LCD was born.

xvxvxvx
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us