AKAI PT5492 (Page 5)

Jason
Anyone have any info on the Samsung HCL552WX widescreen from Sam's? It is listed for $1410! I was set to purchase the Akai PTH5498 (and probably still will), but I have to admit I was intrigued by the Samsung. Pretty impressive picture, but I'm just not sure I want a widescreen.

RE: Jason

At that price I would go for the HCL552WX, because it retails everywhere else at $2,399.99.And for $1,410 that's half the price of other stores.But if it's that low a price because it's the floor model, I wouldn't.If it is for a new model I would jump on that deal, I haven't seen this at my local Sam's or their website.For a 55" widescreen HDTV model that's a good price when every other store wants 2,300$ or more.

Here's a store selling that HCL552WX for the retail $2,399.99 if want proof that your Sam's has it half the price:
http://www.wherehousesales.com/HDT-101.shtml

I can't really deny either one since they both are using the great Samsung parts and one is 4:3 and the other is 16:9.But if you watch allot of 4:3 material and want the huge "full" screen then go for the Akai because the HCL552WX will only be roughly around 40" to 44" or so for 4:3 material.Widescreen material on TV won't be taking over completely until about 2007.

Robert

Jason
RE: Robert

Same TV as the one you have linked. Guy at Sam's said he can't get rid of them, and he sells a lot of the Akai TV's. Biggest question is whether or not I want a widescreen. As you have stated earlier, in widescreen mode, the Akai still gives a 50" picture. Also, with the stretching ability of the Samsung, the widescreen can display a regular TV signal fullscreen, just sort of stretched out. Tough decision. $1410 is a pretty good price, especially when you consider that Sam's is still selling the Toshiba 50" for $1799, and the picture of the Samsung blows it away. Yesterday was the first time I had seen it in the store. Still don't know what to do - wife doesn't really care for widescreen.

RE:Jason

Well by 2007 your wife will have to accept widescreen, like it or not.But for now you can satisfy her with the 4:3 54" Akai for the meantime and as you just said, the widescreen movies will be 50" on that screen and you don't have her disliking it for now.But you can always let her know, "In 2007 you'll be needing a widescrren tv or be watching widescreen material all the time by then, why not get used to it now?".But if she still doens't want one yet, go for the Akai.Because there's no need to upset a wife for the time being, right?Dynamite comes in small packages I would say, hehe.

Robert

JORSAN
Question here: I supposse that almost all of us are still using the 4:3 format for aprox. 80% of the time so . . . could be possible to burn in the screen if we're in that percentage with a wide-screen TV?. If I need to turn the contrast very low to be safe, then I have to turn down my "viewing pleasure" too. Dofficult trade off . . . comments please . . .

RE: Jorsan

Well for one why would you be turning down your "viewing pleasure" too?Because ANY TV that has contrast set high is killing the TV.ALL TV's need to have low contrast, for one it saves the TV's lifespan and from burn-in, and two it gives the picture that the you were supposed to experience and they way the movies and film are supposed to look like.So saying that that turns down your viewing pleasure then you would be wrong, it will give your picture quality the best performance and look of the way it was meant to have.High contrast is only meant for in store displays because of the brightly lit stores.Having one so bright at home is overkill on the TV and your viewing pleasure.

And yes burn in on watching 4:3 programming on a widescreen TV is the same as widescreen movies(letterbox bars) on a 4:3 TV.But with widescreen TV's you can stretch the image better to cover the complete widescreen other than what you can with widescreen on a full screen TV.

You need to look at what good quality and overkilled quality is.An overly bright picture is an overkill of video noise and quality of the way the picture should look.People have been getting too used to having a bright TV but never knowing it is the wrong way for viewing.

So the trade off is the right way and best "viewing pleasure" to go.Think about it the next time you go to a movie theater and notice how great the quality looks up on the big screen.Notice how suttle the brightness is compared to an over bright TV.That suttle brightness and low contrast is to give it the natural look of real sunlight(6500k temperature) which gives you the same viewing the way it was intended to be seen and it's best quality in the light it was shot.

And the contrast doesn't need to be "very" low it needs to be turned down at the last point before the white turns gray.And having contrast set at 14 out of 100 is not low, But yet 10 out of 100 could be.The amount system of percent is different before 30% of the level.

Robert

Matt B.
Hi! I was considering buying a projection tv, possibly the Samsung PCL5415RX. My living room is such that seating is 15 feet away. My concern is that I have two glass doors on one wall and four windows on the other. The tv will sit in a recess, or "cubby hole," not against a wall, out in the room. Picturing a rectangle, the tv and the seating are situated on opposite "short" ends of the rectangle, the windows/dors, on the long ends. I primarily watch tv at night. Obviously, I can close the blinds on the windows... I am worried that the tv will not be watchable during the day with all of this natural light coming in. Since it will be in the recess, will it be OK, or should I just by a 36" flat direct view?? Please help!!! Thanks!!! - Matt

Matt B.
One more thing... Would you suggest the Samsung PCL5415Rx or the Toshiba 50A62TheaterView?? I know there's a 4" differcence in screen size, but I'm wondering which TV is better re: picture quality, reliablity, etc. The Toshiba claims 160 degrees of view, 50% less room light reflection... Sounds cool!

Thank you again!!! - Matt

You'll need to close the blinds in the day.All RPTV's suffer from any light refracting on the screen, it washes out the picture.

I would suggest the Samsung.And all RPTV's have that glare filter screen and it creates more reflection and havoc than it should.It's really there to keep little hands off the screen itself and protect it from scratches i have yet see one get rid of real glare and light yet.

And your seating of distance is fine, just times the size of the screen by 3 and that's your distance.If you're watching HDTV times it by 2, and thus equals the distance.

Robert

Can anyone tell me how to disable the VML.Is it on the "menu" of the remote.Or is it on the back of the TV?

Thank you all for helpful comments and advice, especially the resident expert - Robert. Bought the 5498 and plan on setting it up today...

RE: Dave you can find the info on the VML above in a previous post but that's allot to look through.So I'll post it again for you:

Quote:

Power "off" the TV and then hit the buttons in the following order mute, 1, 8, 2, and then Power "on" and once the projection turns on you should be faced with a new menu if not do that over again and make sure the power is off.Use the volume and channel buttons to navigate and change vaules.

NOTE: once you do this any settings you already done, such as picture and the time will be reset every time you enter the service menu.Make sure you write down ALL info you have done already and make sure you write ALL settings you see once in the service menu,You do this at your own risk.If you want to make a change but to be safe just change the VML setting to "0" and hit the add/erase button to save then power off to exit, turn back on the tv and reset your picture and etc settings back and notice a truer picture.

Anything else for what's inside the service menu and what not to touch and what to touch is located in previous posts in this thread.And remember to write all info down that you see before touching any setting.VML is located in the "Picture" selection.Best to not touch anything in the "Geometric" section unless you're experienced, but if you do, once again I cannot stress enough for you to remember to write all the settings down first as a primary rule of thumb.If you write all settings down and the picture comes out wrong color or off geometric wise from tweaking around, you can go back to it's previous settings if you have them down on paper or saved in a notepad on the cpu.

Robert

Anybody know if the audio monitor outputs can be switched to variable output? I have a lot of
people using the 5492 at a club and I want my PA system to go up and down with the TV audio.
Thanks

thanx Robert,i will change the vml for now and wait to make other tweaks when i get more hours on the TV. DAVE

Just purchased my first big screen tv ever. Was a big step for me. From what I've been reading, I feel in the same boat as virtually most of the postings. I jumped into the water not knowing anything about AKAI mfg televisions, but after looking around, especially at Tweeter Audio, I finally came down to earth and realized what a bang for the buck you get with this tv. I realize it can't be compared to a $3,000-$6,000 unit, but for those of us who just want to get into the big tv scene, I don't think it can be beat. The picture. It's absolutely fantastic I think. I just worry about similar concerns as others have noted here, and that is that you can't find anything on this set, nor do you find it sold very many places. Sam's Club seems to be the master distributor. What also concerns me is the sticker on the box. It was from Five Rivers Electronics for: APH USA, Inc. in TN. And then the Ship To: to the Sam's Distribution Center in IL. What I want to know is who is this Five Rivers and who do I contact and/or go to for future repairs on this unit? Who will have the knowledge and parts for it? Are these even concerns for me? I feel good however about buying this unit. I finally decided to follow my inner voice and go against my brand name mentality and just feel I've done the right thing. I would welcome any and all responses regarding this unit. So far I just love it. I love the picture and the style. It's all screen. Just what I wanted. But what's this I keep seeing repeated about the price at $999.00 and the screen saver. My Sam's had another AKAI unit at the 999 price, but it was not the 5498 and as far as I know, my 5498 comes with the screen saver. And I'm not refering to a 5498S model. Mine is a 5498 and I am sure it sayes it comes with a screen saver. Am I wrong here? Am I misunderstanding what I bought? Also, this concerns me that many people had some problems with the manual and some functions or a function in particular many couldn't get to work per the manual? What's that about too? Another concern was with one's DVD plater having to be in progressive mode and interlaced and it won't give as good a picture if one has a DVD without these features. What's that too? Anyway, I feel that because technology is changing so fast, it doesn't pay right now to invest $3M-$6M for a set which will be outdated like most computers every three years. For the money and the picture, style and functions of this set, I recommend it PROUDLY to EVERYONE!

Re: Fox

1.Look at your warranty papers for the toll free number to call Akai and find out who can service your unit in your area.If you can't find the number look through this thread and you'll find it posted.

2.Screen Saver on a 5498?I hope you mean a protective screen right?Because I don't know of many TV's that have screen savers except plasma screens/wall tv's to imitate a fish tank on the wall.though you can buy a dvd for any tv that can do the same thing for your amusement at CinemaQuest: http://cinemaquestincn.goemerchant7.com/index.cgi?PageToView=catalog&Department=32500&Cartid=23321039478231&Merchant=cinemaquestincn&ExpandedDepts=

3.You said $999 for a 5498?Are you SURE you don't mean the 5492?The 5498 is an HDTV for $1299 and I haven't seen one ever for $999.The only one I've seen for $999 is the 5492 analog RPTV.

4.If you DO have the HDTV 5498 then yes you need a progressive scan dvd player with the progressive mode on connected through your component cables to get the best possible picture and not a banding/interlace analog cable quality picture.Progressive, scans the picture with a higher resolution fo 480p giving a stunning and clearer picture for dvd's.If you have the 5492 you cannot use those types of players.

5.Five Rivers just sounds like a distribution center/plant that either manufactures some of the TV's or keeps the inventory and sends them out to Sam's stores and/or ships out their online Sam's website orders.

Robert

Robert! Have been following your response to the various questions closely. I too, have been shopping for a HDTV "widescreen" Tv. Have almost fallen into the trap with the "majors" Mitsu-Hitach-Toshi-Sony, etc. After looking at all the sets available and the prices for the last month; I've been quite taken with the AKAI PTH5498!! At Sams Club pricing ($1299.95), there is nothing out there that touches it!! However, I had my heart set on a "widescreen", so called AKAI to check on the PTH5598 "widescreen" set! This is a clone of the Samsung HCM5525W set. Very Good HDTV!! AKAI said they did not even show this TV!!! Seemed strange to me; as they show it on their website. www.akaiusa.com The fellow said that it must be in the works for Sams Club; as they have an "exclusive" with AKAI big screen tv's!! Have a call into Sams Club buyer; should hear within 2-3 days. Really want to buy the 5498; however if Sams will have the PHT5598 set within another month or 2, will wait for the Widescreen version, even at a much higher price. Keep up the great input for all us "orphans" out there that are looking for "great" deals on our new bigscreen TV's.

Please confirm the ACTUAL dimensions of the 5498.
The website gave the dimensions as:
L: 30.23"
W: 50.96"
H: 60.17"
But someone said the ACTUAL dimensions were:
L: 23.5"
W: 46"
H: 60.17
Are the website dimensions for the outer carton?
I can live with the 46" width, but not the 50.96"
dimension. Help.

Re: Ron

I'm pretty sure Akai's website has a phone number to reach them at.Call them and ask how to get ahold of the 5598 and they may can direct you to someone or a distributer who can sell you the TV and deliver it to your door.

Re: Michael

I'm measuring the TV right now in front of me and the dimensions OUT of the box are this:

Depth: 23.5"
Width: 46"
Height: 55"

Robert

Akai's dimensions for the "widescreen" 16:9 Tv's are as follows:
PTH4793 (47" widescreen)
W 44 5/8"
H 52 1/4"
D 28 1/2"

PTH5598 (55" widescreen"
W 51 3/4"
H 56 1/2"
D 28"
See these sets at their website www.akaiusa.com
Have had no luck at all phoning AKAI!! They answer promptly, and then send you off to the big voice mail in the sky!!! No return calls yet! Had better luck with the akai e-mail. Got an answer today, and they simply say that "You can buy these 2 tv's at SAMS CLUB exclusively. Sams club has never heard of the "widescreen" versions. I think the versions are so new that Sams Club has not got them in their lineup yet. Big Corporations like Sams, probably have them on order, but it takes awhile to get them into production /distributed/ and into the stores!
I'm supposed to get a return call from one of the buyers at Sams Club Headquarters about the new models; but as of today, still no call. We'll see! Have decided to wait it out, instead of buying the PTH5498 4:3 model now in the stores. Really prefer to have a 16:9 widescreen, model PTH5598, and since the Akai is, so far, such a great value,want to see how they price bust the big boys with their "widescreen" sets (based on Samsung). Should be interesting! Seems all the manufacturers are squaring off with the NEW technology in big screens (LCD, LCOS, DLP, etc. Watch prices plummet in 2003 from competition. It would suprise me if any one of them have a regular 4:3 big screen CRT in their 2004 lineup!!!
OH WELL!

JUST A SHORT NOTE! PHIlIPS Is no longer offering ANY 4:3 HDTV sets!!!!!!! They are gone from their website and everything they are making now is all 16:9!!! Gonna happen sooner than even I thought!!!

Was contacted by a buyer at Sams Club yesterday. They have NO plans to offer the "widescreen" AKAI TV's at this point. I also asked if this could be "special ordered". He said he would check and get back to me. A few minutes later I received a phone call from AKAI in reference to the "widescreen" sets. The pics of the "widescreen" models on their website are models they currently DO NOT make, but if a Large chain buyer wishes to purchase them, they can manufacture these models. So, the bottom line is, that at this time, the only outlet for the AKAI large screen TV's is what you see at SAMS CLUB.

Hopefully it becomes like most unheard of brands and that if they become popular enough at Sam's that they will begin distributing them to Wal-Marts.Shortly after that happens you'll have Best Buy and Circuit City joining in as well and then all Akai's products will become available.

Robert

I am trying to locate a screen protector for my AKAI 54" tv. I bought it last year before they were available at SAM's with the screen protectors. I can't find any information on purchasing a protector.
James
jrachal@bellsouth.net

Jeff Stockton
After reading this board, I bought one of these PT5498s at my local Sam's and have been very happy with it. HD programming from Dish Network looks awesome, and I have my Xbox hooked up to it via component video which also looks great.

My question is, has anyone on this list tried to hook this set up to a computer using the component inputs and the ATI component video dongle that is available for ATI Radeon 8500 and 9700 video cards. I tried it, and 480p works fine (with slight over scan) but I can't get 1080i to work at all despite the fact that it works right with my Dish receiver. I suspect I need to some custom timing for Powerstrip or some such - and was hoping somewhere here might have already figured it out.

Thanks, Jeff

Re: James

If you don't have the screen protector don't get one.I'm wanting mine taken off but it's too much to risk it without the proper experience.Having it off means less glare and a truer picture in a lit room, you're lucky to already have it off.It must be nice to watch TV and not be seeing yourself looking back, hehe.

Go to the following link and scroll to the very bottom to read what i'm talking about(ie. video nirvana)
http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/experttips/greggloewen/5steps_to_videonirvana.html

Re:Jeff

Look here and see if it'll help you out with HTPC tips.
http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/experttips/markrehjon/markrehjon_tips.html

Robert

Jeff
I have a couple of questions. I am new to the big screen market, though I just purchased the Akai HDTV from Sams. Nice but very large. My question is this. I have regular cable, not digital. I was watching football last night and the screen seemed blured. Only when the play was running. Movies are fine, and the game was fine other than when the play was in motion. Is this due to the normal cable and the size of the television? If I puchased digital cable would it help the picture? It just didn't seem very sharp. I did play a DVD and the picture was great? Any help or suggestions?

Jason
Well, guys, I finally bit the bullet and purchased the 5498 yesterday. I rented a U-haul, took it home, cut it out of the box, and set everything up. I was very pleased in general, until my wife said, "It looks different than the one in the store." Turns out Sam's loaded the 5492(!) into my truck rather than the 5498. Box now destroyed, TV totally set up - I was sick. Thankfully, however, I called Sam's this morning and spoke with a manager - he said he would arrange to have the 5492 picked up and replaced with a 5498 - pretty impressive service, I think. Anyway, I was impressed with the picture on the 5492 when watching digital cable and dvd's. Will I be able to tell much difference with the 5498 when watching the same sources (dvd in not progressive scan), or will I only see the difference with a progressive scan dvd player and/or HDTV broadcasts? Thanks for the great info!

Re: Jeff

Quote:

Is this due to the normal cable and the size of the television?

Exactly.
It's your cable and the size of the screen.With this size TV you are blowing the programming 3 times it's normal size and the artifacts you are noticing is due to compression of the cable.Digital cable will help it a bit but don't expect a stunning difference but it will be more pleasing to view on that size of screen.

Re:Jason

Quote:

Will I be able to tell much difference with the 5498 when watching the same sources (dvd in not progressive scan), or will I only see the difference with a progressive scan dvd player and/or HDTV broadcasts? Thanks for the great info!

You will notice a difference in your cable viewing with it's digital comb filter and progressive scan for the broadcast but don't expect to be floored by the difference.If you want to be floored get HDTV programming.With this model and a regular interlace dvd player you won't be getting the best and clearest/sharpest picture plus you may get problems such as banding.If you get a progressive scan player you will notice the difference, the picture will be allot clearer, allot sharper and more detailed than a regular player could produce seeing that progressive scan player give you higher resolution.

Robert

Gary
Robert

I bought the 5492 yesterday for the kids game room and have been very pleased so far. The monster cable works great and the higher end one really does clean up the picture (dish w/ ant. for locals). The 3 yr ext warranty at sams is only $49 which might be a cheap option.

My only concern is your post of 11/6 referring to 2007. I really didnt want to spend the extra 300 on a gameroom however maybe i should if i will not be able to receive programs in 07. I am fairly confused as to whats going to happen in 2007. The akai rep said i'll be able to get digital converted to analog through a box much the same as today. Any help here is much appreciated.

Thanks for the burn info and setup ranges as well.

Re:

They will make a conversion box for converting HDTV to analog broadcast.Last I heard the box is to run from $200 to $300.But I believe by the time 2007 gets here the prices will come down as well as HDTV tuners themselves come down in price.People will still be able to recieve broadcast with that converter, sad thing is though you are going to miss out on the best evolution to TV broadcast in it's long life history thus far.With HDTV the picture is so clear and high in resolution it looks a window and that you could just walk right into the TV.But believe me you have 4 years until the HDTV takes over completely and that's plenty of time before having to decide on getting another TV or what not, right now it's only beginning.So if you're worried about needing to get an HDTV right now there's no rush.

Robertr

gary
thanks

i plan to get the toshiba hd widescreen for my own viewing next week!! i just wanted to make sure i didnt have to trash the 5492 in 4 years.

ron
Robert
I 'm looking to buy the panasonic rp62 or 82. I was wondering what makes the 82 a little better? Is it worth the price difference? I can get the 62 at BJ's for 165.00. The best price I've seen online for the 82 is 220.The 82 is hard to find online. Nobody has it in stock.

Re: Ron

The RP82 has now been discontinued so it will be harder to find now.

The only differences are:

The 82 has both coax and optical. The RP62 has only optical.

The 82 plays DVD-A's. The RP62 does not.

Robert

Jason
Well, after the folks at Sam's came out and picked up the 5492 and replaced it with a 5498 (see my post above), I finally got to try it out last night. All I can say is - WOW! Cable TV broadcast is pretty good (even better when the signal is stronger), but DVD, even without a progressive scan player, is absolutely stunning! My next purchase will be a progressive scan DVD player, but it might have to wait until spring. I even turned out the lights and watched part of my kids' Monsters, Inc. DVD in widescreen mode, and it was outstanding. Obviously, without the lights, you can't see the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen, and it looks like a very large widescreen TV. Great purchase, and I am looking forward to enjoying some college football over the next 2 weeks!

telmd
Does anybody out there have any knowledge on the RCA DRC-350 Progressive scan DVD... I'm about a week or so away from purchasing the 5498 and am thinking about purchasing the RCA DVD but wanting to know if they are any good.....

Thanks in advance

Kevin Tauber
Im trying to decide on the 5492 or 5498. I would like the HDTV model but the way I am looking at it is that by the time I am able to use the HDTV feature I will be ready for a new tv and also in 4 years widescreen and plasma tv's will probably be as cheap as they are today. So I guess my thinking is to get the 999.00 one now and then in 4 years or so get perhaps a plasma tv in an HDTV format for about the same price, any ideas? As far as I can see the only diffrence between the 2 is the HDTV feature

Kevin Tauber
In the previous message I meant that in 4 years when HDTV is available for ALL broadcasts Plasma and widescreen televisions will Probably drop to the prices in which these projections are today, I mean in about 4 years we will be able to go to SAMS and buy a 55" widescreen Plasma HDTV for 1299? So I guess I am looking at the 999.00 option because by the time the HDTV is available the projection tv especially in the 4:3 aspect ratio will be outdated.

Not only the HDTV, but better picture quality is also what you will get with the 5498.It has a digital comb filter and progressive scan for broadcasts.And the bonus if you get yourself a progressive scan dvd player you can experience the best dvd has to offer with a 480p picture and crispt digital clarity.Plus cable and sat is scanned better through the filter and gves you a better quality viewing experience.

So you definatly get MORE than just the HDTV feature with the 5498.

Why upgrade your TV at this time if you're getting another analog TV?I see no point at this point in time to purchase any more analogs.If I upgrade again in 2007 to another TV so be it, but at least I'll have a HDTV ready model to fall back on to put in another room or the den.

But that's just my opinion.

RObert

Kevin Tauber
Thanks for the opinion Robert, I guess I am going to get the 5498, I am planning on purchasing it around January 11 so who knows maybe the price will drop a little by then, I noticed on the akai website that they have a 55" widescreen model also, I wonder if Sams is going to start carrying that model. But again thanks, Im going to spring for the extra 300 bucks and get the 5498

The sharpness control on my 5498 has no effect. I went to Sam's and tried it on there set and saw no change there either. Does anybody's work?

My Dish Network picture is soft, It's connected with S-video. Off the antenna standard tv is sharper even from the VCR's tuner through composite vidio connection. It's hard for me to watch. Should I expect better from dish?
John

Sharpness only effects HDTV and dvd components, especially those in progressive mode.

You won't find that much difference on cable or such unless you get hdtv.The sat or cable is as sharp as it will be and can be on this set.

Robert

I have the 5498 and really have liked it until the other day. While watching it suddenly the screen got alot brighter. It was like someone turned up the brightness control all of a sudden. When I go under the custom setting I have to turn the brightness almost all the way off to get it close to where it was before. Has anyone experienced this problem? I tried unplugging it for a while but it still does not change anything. Any help would be appreciated.

Sincerely

Jim

Never heard of this problem with the 5498 before.

It may be your sub-brightness setting in the service menu could solve this for you.Under the "picture" settings in the service menu adjust the "SBT" setting until satisfactory.To get in the service menu look above in a previous thread or use the find feature in your browser to find "service menu" in this topic with the instructions.

Robert

I had seen the 5498 at Sam's and thought " What a deal ". Then I figured I would do some research on it and had alomst given up when low and behold I found this forum. I would like to thank everybody that has posted on this forum as it has given me valuable info on this model.I am goin to pick one up in the next couple of days .I will let you know what I think of it after I have had time to play with it awhile . Should be a nice improvement from a 27" . Thanks again!

Jay
Picked up a 5498 last Monday and everyone can't get over the great picture and sound. Cable guy came to hook up new cable and said he was going over and get one that nite.
Thanks for all the help this forum has given.

Kevin Tauber
I noticed that they have taken the 5498 off the SAMS website and added the Panasonic 56"HDTV Projecton . I wonder if this TV is supposed to replace the 5498 and if so I wonder if the price of the 5498's in stock at Sams is going to drop any as this is usually what happens?

Jason
I certainly agree with the previous posts about the quality of the digital cable image depending on the signal strength. I have had my TV for about a week now (5498), and have been impressed with the quality of the cable picture, even on my local channels which have relatively low strength. However, last night I watched a special on the Biography channel (1st time to watch that channel), and I was blown away - crisp, clear images, gorgeous images, etc. Can't wait until Charter starts offering HDTV in my area!

Jason
I certainly agree with the previous posts about the quality of the digital cable image depending on the signal strength. I have had my TV for about a week now (5498), and have been impressed with the quality of the cable picture, even on my local channels which have relatively low strength. However, last night I watched a special on the Biography channel (1st time to watch that channel), and I was blown away - crisp, clear images, gorgeous color, etc. Can't wait until Charter starts offering HDTV in my area!

Well I've had my 5498 about 5 months now. Still loving it. I have not posted in a while but I have been keeping up with this forum. I wish Akai would take a look and jump in here. I've communicated with them a couple of times. They seem to be a bit overwhelmed getting their presence known with these products in the US. I hope they learn quick. I have been a bit dissappointed in some of their responses that indicate they don't know a lot about their own products.

An earlier post stated that he could see no difference when adjusting the sharpness. I too felt the same way until this past weekend. I purchased the Avia Guide to Home Theater/Reference Guide DVD from Circuit City's internet site. This DVD has tons of test patterns, audio samples and explanations. Thanks for the heads-up Robert. There is a test pattern specifically for sharpness adjustment. You WILL see a difference with this test pattern. For me to get the results that the narrated tutorial said is desirable, my sharpness setting ended up at 0. I don't know if this is normal or not, but that is where it ended up. One good point made in the narration of this set-up dvd is give the settings a chance. You are so used to viewing improperly set TV's that you have an immediate desire to go back to the "bad" settings. Force yourself to watch TV with the new settings for a couple of weeks and you will begin to see the subtle and pleasing differences. Keep in mind, if you are just watching the news, these settings are not that great to look at, but they do lengthen the life of your tubes. The real pleasure of these settings is watching a progressive scan DVD. Shadows are clear but not dominating. Red push has been minimized. Flesh tones are excellent. Colors look like they do on the big screen at theaters. The AVIA setup DVD includes color filters to view through to get the saturation and hue set almost perfect. The DVD has patterns that work with TV's such as the 5498 that has line doubleing. The DVD was $39.00 plus shipping. I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to set their 5498 up for near optimal viewing.

Admin (Admin)
>> Next Page
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us