Anyone bought a region free DVD player?

Bronze Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 12
i did a little research after i found out that the movie "faster pussycat kill kill" is out on DVD, but only in a french region 2 version. used VHS sell for $70 or more.

i started a "region free DVD player" search and came across a few sites that had such players, but became dubious about purchasing when i read a post in another forum that talked about having trouble buying from one from israel. i then thought about two of the companies that sell region free DVD players, and one was named bombay... and the other ghandi... both of which made me think india.

are all region free players sold from overseas? if so, that isn't at all reassuring.

one unscrupulous vendor that sells the region 2 dvd on ebay claims that most DVD players will play region 2 which is a crock of fertilizer.

is there any realistic way for me to finally see this film without spending an outrageous amount of money for a cheesy used vhs copy?

Username: Telecommander

PA

Post Number: 4
You might try J&R Music World in Manhattan. They've got a region-free Sony DVP-NS520 on their site for $199. Only catch is that it's imported, so the warranty is void. If that won't do for you, you might go for an Apex player, some of which will play anything from DVDs to English muffins. Not bad for about $50.

Bronze Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 13
i wouldn't buy a player JUST to watch the DVD. i'd like to buy a player that offers me more eg. progressive scan and/or cdr compatibility as my current player doesn't have either feature OR region free coding.

if i were to buy a player, i would be expecting some further value BESIDES being able to watch one DVD.

that jandr sells a player without warranty really falls under my same misgivings about the other sites. i wouldn't plop $200 on ANY player except a high end total compatibility unit and especially NOT with an "it sucks to be you if it breaks" clause.

it just isn't worth that much hassle for me to watch the film. the player i was considering was a $100 unit with cdr compatibility and no macrovision.

$200 with no warranty just isn't my style. some day when i eventually get a widescreen, i'll buy a $150 (or LESS) progressive scan unit WITH warranty.

thanks for trying to help. i was hoping to hear from someone who has already bought a unit. none of the sites that sell them were pricegrabber rated.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us