DirecTV - Dark images, ghosting, fuzzy picture with HD (HT-10)?

Bronze Member
Username: Gnnr

NJ USA

Post Number: 76
Heyas,

Well, I am back with some questions and a problem. Loving my HDTV, this forum was a godsend in finding the right one for me.

First off, I was on OptimumOnline/IO digital cable with their 4200HD tuner (DVI) and had great HD images and all the digital channels (above ch99) were decent to near HD quality as well; analog was, well... analog and generally poor on my set.

I switched to DirecTV for sunday ticket/superfan (Da Bears!). I have a triple LNB oval dish, two standard recievers, and a HD Samsung HT-10 reciever. The HD reciever is connected to my Samsung DLP 4663W RPTV via the HDMI link, audio is out form the HT10 reciever to my Yamaha 6.1 home theater box via digital coax. For grins, my Toshiba upconverting DVD is now connected via a HDMI to DVI cable (previously was on the HDMI port) with audio via optical to my home theater reciever. I have a couple of sets of high end Acoustic Research component cables also, though at the moment they are not hooked up.

The problem: On all non-HD programming I have a big problem with the following -
1) I have to turn contrast up to max as well as brightness on my DLP set in order to see it in even a moderatley lit room during the day.
2) I have severe ghosting issues on non-HD programming.
3) Some of the non-hd channels are rather fuzzy r quite pixalated also.

Previously, with digital cable I was happy with about 65 contrast and 70 brightness during the day, and even then it was pretty darned blinding. I still have to set this with my DVD player when I watch a movie on it, but with the new HD sat reciever I have to crank it all up and it's still dim.

On HD channels the IQ varies from fuzzy and poorer than even a progressive scan DVD player input to laser sharp, always though having to crank up the brightness and contrast (though contrast less to a degree).

I have the HT10 reciever from DirecTV setup properly: My DLP set supports all resolutions on output so I have it set to All in the menu with the Native option on. I checked my signal on sattelite 101 (A) and all 32 transponder channels show 92 - 96 percent on signal with a few 98s. The HT10 is setup for 16x9 output in full mode.

I have tried manually setting the resolution using the format button and there is no change to the core issues on HD and non-HD programming - blurry/pixellated, dark and ghosting images. I played with running it at 4:3 and 16x9 on pillar, full, and zoom and full is the best of the three image wise (fast slope downhill with the other settings). I tried it across my component cables as well and it didn't change (no worse, no better - odd, I do see a lowering of IQ with components on my DVD vs the digital links).

Any ideas? I called directv last night, reset my box then talked to their tier 2 support. They are sending a new box under warranty (only had this two days) but I am wondering if I am just missing something here.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us