Help picking a TV - size does matter

Bronze Member
Username: Guygadois

Post Number: 32
Well, we built our entertainment center and now it is time to upgrade out pre-historic TV.

I would like to spend under 3k on a new tv. I am a bit afraid of burn-in and for that reason am looking at Rear projection or LCD tvs. We use TIVO all the time and use the pause button quite a bit.

The space we have available is 41 wide x 29 wide by 23 deep. I would like to maximize the monitor in this area (I cannot go bigger than this).

Mostly we watch TV with 15% DVD videos. we plan on also upgrading to Charter HD but that will only give us 5 channels for now. We have to use their cable box too.

I would like to hear what brands I should be looking at and which i should stay away from. Are there any specific TVs/monitors which are a no brainer for this situation?

I love the Sharp picture but have found them too expensive for my budget. I have read lots of good things about Westinghouses 37" but it os not available to see in person in my area (best buy does not stock it).

What will work in this space?

Guy

Bronze Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 12
THe burn in issues are over blown. It really takes alot to burn in a screen. Thats said it is my opinion that $3000 for today;s tecnology is Too much to pay. LEt others pay for the R&D costs on imperfected technology.

There are way more issues with the DLPs, LCD, and Plasma technology right now then a good RPCRT. The prices will free fall in a few years and the technology will be better. Plus do you really want to spend ANOTHER $300 a year for bulbs? ISn't pay TV expensive enough?

In the mean time you can spend comsiderably less then $1500 0n a great direct view CRT HD TV that will still be good in three years when you want to step into the hopefully then better all digital profile at $1500 or less then, You will have BOTH TVs for the $3000 you spend today and the technology on the second will be much better then today's digitals.

Right now I am of the opinion is you DON"T have space concerns the CRTs are the way to go direct view or RP. I have a 27" plasma in my bedroom on the wall due to space concerns but I prefer the 61" RP CRT in the living room which cost the same.

Anonymous

You think you have an answer for everything, bong boy. All you really have is an opinion.

You come on here touting and reccommending the latest CRT technology when your most recent purchase was a damned over-priced plazma.
Your experience with CRT is a self-confessed ownership of a decade old Toshiba, probably on it's last days.

Anyone can read these forums and form an opinion like yours. The trouble with that is these forums represent a small fraction of the overall market, usually the few with production defects.

You're entitled to your opinion.
I'm entitled to my opinion of your opinion.

Bronze Member
Username: Hd_fanatic

Boise, ID

Post Number: 47
Well, I think that the original poster said that size DOES matter, so in that case, I don't think a CRT would be appropriate. I would look at some 42" rear projection sets. Sony's KDF-E42A10 has dimensions of 39 3/8" wide ×28 1/2" high ×14 1/8" deep. There are probably some other 42"ers that would fill that space nicely as well.

I would steer clear from plasma, unless you want to throw it away in 5 years. Yeah, that's right, when the picture fades out, and all the gas leaks out of the cells, there is no economical way to fix them. Many manufacturers (including Sony) have stated that they will soon discontinue producing plasma TV's. (likely by the end of 2006)

I will agree that CRT has the best track record, but personally, I do not want a 300 lb monster in my living room that will someday make a good boat anchor. CRT projection will eventually go the way of the dinoasaur and be phased out by better selling LCD flat panels and micro-displays.

Silver Member
Username: Pugcharlie

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 114
What needs to be mentioned here is that IMO, CRT RP TVs do NOT produce the clarity of microdisplay sets.
Convergence is NEVER perfect and the overall look is no where as crisp and clear as the newer microdisplays.

Bronze Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 24
HD Fanatic: I have read some of your post and most are very good but I have to ask where you got your info on plasma tvs. Yes plasmas do lose 50% of its brightness over time but the part about the gas leaking out is not a fact.

Bronze Member
Username: Guygadois

Post Number: 34
HD Fanatic , thanksa for the heads up on Sony's KDF-E42A10. That fits perfectly! Now, I need to wait until I can view it at a store. Which product is this replacing?

Bronze Member
Username: Hd_fanatic

Boise, ID

Post Number: 48
Guy,

The Sony KDF-E42A10 is a new model that replaced the KDF-42WE655. This older model will not fit in your entertainment center because the speakers are on the side of the TV. I have not seen the new model yet, but from the reviews I have read on it, I think you would be very happy with it.

Casey,

Okay, you got me on that one. I'll admit that I was quoting what I had heard before from someone before. I know that it's the phosphors that untimately end up wearing out and lose their electrical reaction. Thanks for keeping me on my toes!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us