Moving a DTV receiver to a different site.

Username: Raiderg

Post Number: 1
Hi. My mother has a direct tv system with out a card. Can I order a card from direct tv for my account and use it in her receiver. I would activate the card in her receiver at my house then take it to her house. Can they detect that the receiver is not at my house. I was going to tell DTV that I was adding another receiver.

LK
Unregistered guest
U have the right idea..U can easily do exactly what U said!

and NO,they cannot detect the receiver is at another location,even if it was in another country!

LK
Unregistered guest
-MABLE LEAS-Is a azz o...."USELESS PILE OF CRAP".

Beerman 1
Unregistered guest
Just wondering if a shared sub. with locals, can the local channels also be watched by someone who has a reciver with the shared sub, that lives in a differant area, even if they have all the needed stuff like the oval dish with the triple lnb. on it. Thanks for any help you can shed on this question.

LK
Unregistered guest
Locals are a very tough subject.."different area" and zipcode will unlikely NOT receive the sub locals...many factors such as zipcode,locals byte,spotbeam,transponders all come into play.."programming not available in your area" could replace your locals..nobody can give U a definite answer either way!

Just curious
Unregistered guest
Just wondering, if I take my working directv system with local channels from NY to CA. Do you think I can watch the NY local channels in CA? I am thinking as long as I don't plug in the phone line, the system is just receiving signal from the same satellite. Am I right? Or the system actualy does send out signal with or without the phone line plugged in. I actually never plug in the phone line except when I first activate the unit.

LK
Unregistered guest
Phone line ONLY affects the PPV's ordering and billing...it has NOTHING to do with locals or anything else..U will NOT get NY locals in CA!...The NY activated card is programmed for NY and does receive signals,BUT is NOT programmed to receive CA locals signals..much is based upon the zipcode already programmed into NY card, NOT the phone line!...either way NEVER plug in the phone line unless U OWN the sub account...shared subs should NEVER plug in phone line unless its YOUR own account, and this just allows U to order PPV with the remote and the receiver to call back DTV monthly with the PPV purchases for billing purposes that were ordered..

Just curious
Unregistered guest
which means by using a NY programmed unit/card I WILL be able to watch NY's Local channels when I am in CA because the unit itself still think it's in NY.

LK
Unregistered guest
NO WRONG!...U will get x721 and "programming not available in your area"..locals are SPOTBEAMED via different transponders/frequencies...It cannot receiver signals in CA that are transmitted purposely for ONLY the NY area...U DEFINITELY WILL NOT GET ANY NY CHANNELS!..thought I made that pretty simple in my earlier post...maybe U should read more..

again...U will NOT get NY locals in CA!...

Big Bwana
Unregistered guest
Well you won't get them unless you start playing with a very very large Ku band dish (any solid C band will work as well ) .

Spotbeams with a 18 inch dish transmitt in about a 200 mile radius of the target city, about the range you could use a set of old rabbit ears, and there's really no easy way around this.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us