Cable internet with splitter=free basic cable?

Jeremy Ball
Unregistered guest
ok so I recently signed up for cable internet, and they plugged me into a filter so that I wouldn't get the cable with it.

I plugged the cable into my tv and I get literally two channels with it and nothing else.

Keep in mind I am a total n00b to cable ( I always had sat before)

Do I need a box to get the rest of the channels? Or if I yank off the filter will they all just come directly into my tele?

Problem is that that filter is up a hydro pole and I am scared of heights, so if I feed a buddy a case of beer to hop up it, is there anyway to get caught by the cable company after the fact? I know that cable uses two way communication as opposed to Sat which only uses one.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Anonymous

If it was you climbing the pole I would say you can get free cable tv. Since it is your friend you are risking, I have to let you in on a little secret that cable internet and cable tv are completely different and you cannot receive free cable tv.

Jeremy Ball
Unregistered guest
So does anyone who does not have down syndrome care to reply? or is this obvious cable company employee with a grade 6 education the only answer I am going to get?

Peas
Unregistered guest
Jeremy,

Why do you expect someone to help you steal cable? Are you dense? Retarded yourself? Or simply another dumb lazy thief afraid of heights?

Please get a 2ND JOB and you can afford cable.

Peas

Jeremy Ball
Unregistered guest
I refuse to pay for something with commercials in it.

Do I pay for radio? no

why should I for TV?

I make more than enough money to cover myself, so forget that angle. I would prefer to spend it on cars and houses though not Rogers.

Anonymous

"Do I pay for radio? no
why should I for TV?"
Umm, tv is free over the air just like radio.

Jeremy Ball
Unregistered guest
you know what forget it.

TV sucks these days anyways. I just use it as a babysitter for my relatives kids anyways.

Bronze Member
Username: Rf186

Post Number: 13
Some people are just barely able to claim membership in the human race, common sense ought to be a prerequisite. Funny he thought anon had down syndrome ;-)

Username: Cable_peon

Post Number: 4
Hey Jeremy Ball - -

Since your last post was on Aug 1, you may have already coersed a buddy to climb the pole and remove the filter that you saw.

This may have allowed you to receive cable TV signal along with your internet service.

My advice to you - - BEWARE!

Cable companies have multiple organizations within their repective structures that do nothing else but LOOK for people like you.

WHEN (not IF) they find you they will A) Cut your cable line without telling you and move on their way (since according to your contract for service, they can terminate your service for ANY reason at ANY time); B) Inform you that you are receiving unauthorized cable TV signal along with your subscribed internet service and give you the opportunity to subscribe to your unauthorized service, if you decline refer to "A" above; or C) Exercise their right as defined in the Federal Cable Act of 1986 - persue damages and penalties of up to TWO YEARS IN PRISON and/or $50,000 IN FINES to be assessed against anyone determined to be guilty either of the unauthorized interception or reception of cable television services, OR as further stated - A cable operator may bring an action in a civil court to obtain injunctions to restrain violators (permanent denial of service) and the award of damages, costs, and attorney fees.

YES - It is a Federal Felony offense to "steal" cable services. Not often persued, but DEFINITELY has been in the past.

Food for thought.

cable guy
Unregistered guest
hey... dont listen to cable peon... he just wants you to be scared.. just go up there .. remove the filter, and any other filter they might of put around your house.. and then youll have 73 channels. but dont get caught climing up there.!!

Unregistered guest
if you want to do it the safe way....just subscribe to digtal cable for a 3 month special...then cancel the service after 15 days...but you must go to the comcast center yourself...if you call them to cancel the service then they would put back the filter...

CableHack
Unregistered guest
you shouldint have to climb up a pole, their should be a gray box on the side of your house open that and there will be a filter in there take that off and hook the cables back up and you should get the basic service

ching chang walla walla
Unregistered guest
not all houses have the grey box some are on the pole iv been doing this since i was 16 not once caught....rip that f*cking filter off. and it might not b on the pole it might b in sumthing that looks like a splitter on the side of ur house right b4 the run the line inside.

cableguy714
Unregistered guest
I work for the cable company im not saying wich
but when we come out to install internet only we install whats called a 2-78 trap wich block chanels 2 though 78 with the sleaves that we put on the trap it would be hard to get the filter off and if you did theres is a main conection called a tap a soon as a filter is removd it sends a signal back to the server and will tell the company exactly where the filter was removed the company would come back out and what happens most of the time we cancell pull the drop from the house and will not service them again unless the agree to pay for the cable service there is really no way to get around it sorry

Unregistered guest
ok how do we remove the filter without signaling the server?

Anonymous

Cableguy714:
"if you did theres is a main conection called a tap a soon as a filter is removd it sends a signal back to the server and will tell the company exactly where the filter was removed the company would come back out"

This is interesting Cableguy but I'm wondering how this is possible??? Wouldn't the trap itself have to be addressable (like a digital cable box) in order to be able to know exactly which house the trap was removed from? I didn't think the cable infrastructure was layed out like the telephone company with individual lines running back to a central office. Rather, I figured cable was like a loop with taps to homes that subscribed... and again, without an adressable filter, how is it possible to tell what and where something got removed?

Anonymous

Don't think they have and data on the TV programming side. The cable modem has a MAC address, and the cable company initiates contact with that addy to start service.

I know several people that have removed the TV Signal trap over the past few years with no recorse.

Anonymous

Woder what happens if you plug the cable connector wires into 110 volt ac wall socket and back feed 110 into the cable network.

Will that eliminate the Trap?

I know lightning sometimes knocks out those traps.

hms94gsr
Unregistered guest
lmao last post

Ted Rogers
Unregistered guest
So I must admit I have enjoyed the numerious posts here... but I still wonder how to get past that sliver coloured sleave on the filter? I can see how to do it from the post! But cant figure out how to get around the sleave?

I hate ted
Unregistered guest
I hate ted rogers and would do anything to undermine him.

JOE MUMMA
Unregistered guest
SO TELL ME WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU PLUG THE CABLE INTO 110V ?

peas
Unregistered guest
SO TELL ME WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU PLUG THE CABLE INTO 110V ?
If we really have to answer this, then I suggest you wet your finger and stick it in the outlet.

bootieboy
Unregistered guest
What happens when i stick my finger up my bootie?
Just curious if i would get some sort of electrical current that would allow my to run cable from the bootie
Thank You, Bootie Boy

cables over priced
Unregistered guest
I have internet cable only. Then I removed the stupid filter and had cable TV for a year and half then one day no more TV went to check for a filter and there it was they put another on and never heard anything from them and still have my internet service. I desided to leave it unless I find a similar filter that's open to replace it.

Anonymous

Yes man, you're on to something, is there an identical looking filter that internally doesn't actually filter anything, yet reply's to their testing signals so that they don't know you've changed anything and when they open that box to service your neigbors they aren't tipped off?

Anonymous

Tap the main cable and run one behind the filter to your tv. The filter will still be on the line but the tv signal will not going through it. The cable company will not know your not using the filter becuase you never took it off.

Don't argue too much
Unregistered guest
Just pay for cable. ITs not fair to steal.

this girl just wants some descent tv
Unregistered guest
Okay, So I don't know anything about cable. I know I have cable internet from Comcast and I have limited service from them tooi½ 2-22 minus HBO and skinamax. I only really watch PBS anyway and a few of the crime shows. I really want to be able to get the discovery channel, animal planet and Home and Garden television. I know I have a filter on the cable just outside my house. My question is how do I get it off and where do I get one of these dummy filters you guys have spoken of?

You can save me the stealing is wrong thing too. I completely agree. But sadly I am going to say that I want to a will do it if I can. It is just too expensive for me to get even the basic cable. I am on a completely tight budget.

You know what else I think is wrong? It is wrong that there is noting suitable on television for children to watch. Not that I let them watch too much TV. But If I chose to let them watch something then I want it to be what I consider appropriate. I love PBS however, later in the dayi½ when I think it more appropriate for them to watch a bit of TV there is nothing interesting for them.

In a perfect world they would let me chose a few channels and they would be reasonably priced. I would like to get the channel noggin but that is on digital cable and I am assuming much harder to get and much more obvious.

A Star is Born
Unregistered guest
"It is wrong that there is noting suitable on television for children to watch."
Not for long. They can watch a new crime show with you as the star!

Bronze Member
Username: Kwallstorm

Post Number: 18
The cable companies are getting much better at finding situations where people are tapping their lines and stealing their signal. They are also getting much harsher in their prosecution of the theft.
Get smart. It isn't worth the potential prosecution to try and steal the signal.

Anonymous

Hey people! I'm hoping there is someone to answer my question. I want to score some free Rogers cable television. I have an Explorer 3200 reciever from Rogers. It just recently got shut off.
Is there A simple way to obtain free cable if you already have the reciever. If there is.. could someone please fill me in on how to do this!

Username: Chandani

Post Number: 1
How do you open that gray box? It has like a weird "key" thing to open it..? can I just use pliers?

Ted Rogers
Unregistered guest
So HOW do I get the Silver Coloured Security Collar off the Line??? I here there is a Coax Wrench you can buy that does the job, but where do I find one of these?

I nned help !!!!
Unregistered guest
home depot lol

can some 1 help me i have a reciver n im not getiin any service ther and i have 2 wall outlets n its no good none of them it only works for internet how can i make it work????? plz resopond bak

I nned two spel
Unregistered guest
subskriib two kable sirvis

i neeed help
Unregistered guest
then wat if i subscribe to them i dont want 2 pay lol

mcclintic spheres
Unregistered guest
so, i have cable internet only. where the cord comes into my house, there is a directional coupler, which takes the cable from outside and presumably splits it. a cable runs from one of the two exit ends to the cable modem. the other end has a small grey cylinder on it. i assume this is to stop you connecting a cable to the television. is this the filter everyone is talking about? if so, why is it inside my house and not outside?
if it is something else, is it ok for me to take it off and hook up the tv, since it is wiring inside my own house?

Anonymous

If you've already bypassed the filter and are getting channels 1 - 73. Is there a device you can purchase that will give you access to the other channels ( 73 - 200+)??

Thanks.

Sodaboy
Unregistered guest
I did that and Yea ive been to prison

cablecumu
Unregistered guest
dude witht hte rogers digital box, it wont work, it is a box that is authorized by the server, therefore they wont do it for you unless you pay

in fact i woulnt even plug it in!

theassman
Unregistered guest
can someone tell me how to get cable internet for free.. I don't have a cable line and all I have is dail up is there someway I can run "splitter" from my 110v power line to the computer and have super speed cable internet? It's not illegal to steal cable if they don't run cable down your road is it?

Unregistered guest
ok i dont care about free cable tv but it will be nice if i can get free internet cable is there a way to still the signal i know that internet and actual cable tv sometims involve several service providers. i own 2 modems one that is set up for cable tv , cable telephone service and also internet cable. The other modem is an older one i have that only supports internet cable, is there something i can do to the old one to have it get a IP addresse from one of the neighbords or something ? or should i try a wireless router and try to still some ip with it ?

Anonymous

I was wondering....my cable was just cut off and i wanted to know how in the world to get that cylinder thing off my hook up so i can plug myself back in. Its right outside in my front yard

DR
Unregistered guest
ok how about the opposite? If I get cable tv already and have my own cable modem, is it possible for me to run the cable to my comp and recieve cable internet ?

Anonymous

ok guys, I guess I'm at the primary stages. How in the name of hell do I open the grey box?

Long live free cable

Anonymous

all your questions on free cable are answered at this website:

Anonymous

http://www.tecratools.com/pages/av/graphics/38315l.jpg

Use this tool to open the grey box. It's called a "Terminator Tool." Google the term "Cable Terminator Tool" for ideas on how to open it with a wire hanger, which might be a pain in the butt.

cheapscumbag
Unregistered guest
in all honesty, we live in an age where information and entertainment flow freely thru millions of miles of wires. If ure good enough to steal it......DO IT AND TELL THE REST OF US HOW!

cheapscumbag
Unregistered guest
And to those who say theft is wrong.......think about how we acquired this country first.

Hope ......
Unregistered guest
Working on it .. ;-)

Anonymous

The 2/78 filters are not adressable and the only way the cable company can tell they are removed is when they come out and check which they do rather often. But cable companies are slowly changing over to adressable taps that can be controled from the office or their headend and they dont use filters anymore. They just deactivate the port on the tap. So have fun stealing while u can.

paybadstealgood
Unregistered guest
if people are worrying about geeting caught stop
broadcasting over the net how they steal cable
and various other servics. dont let the cableman
know how people are doing it. i know they will figure it eventually but dont make it easier for them. by outright telling them.

James Tech
Unregistered guest
I got a question to cableguy 714 if you remove the trap it will send signal to the cable provider, and what is the frequency band of that signal.If that signal is 54mhz to 108mhz you can put an FM trap to prevent it from sending the signal to the cable provider.

freecable4me
Unregistered guest
Interesting forum. I signed up with Rogers internet the day it came out (in the mid 90s in our area). We had cable tv until about 2000, and then got tired of paying so much for cable tv, so we canceled the cable tv and kept the internet. They charge you $5-$10 for not having television service, but it is worth it. One day I just connected the cable coming out of the modem to my tv and I had all of the channels up to around 70. The hilarious part to the story is the fact that we canceled Rogers internet 2 years ago and now have Bell Sympatico (bundeled with Bell Expressvu) and we STILL have Rogers TV for free. We are currently geting Cable Tv for 100% free. I must say though, that we very rarely use it as when you have satellite, why would you watch cable tv. Since we Canceled Rogers, we have received over $2000 in free cable tv, and since we got Rogers Internet, we have saved almost $6,000. Not to mention the fact that it is not illegal when they leave it connected after the service has been terminated! Free Cable tv is quite good when there is a snow storm or a lightning storm and the satellite goes out!

captain coax
Unregistered guest
I work for a cable company that has phone ,data and video All on one wire. if we catch a thief hooked up to our system we send a 90 volt curent through the line. that 90 volts is availabl on all out taps. I check over a hundred taps a week, so keep that in mind when you stick that FREE cable into your big screen.

Anonymous

Get some WD 40 and spray it on the gray box , after 24 minutes you can open it with "french fork".
Takes about 2 minutes to open , then use 34-77 wire releaser to get free access to the heart of the system.
Childplay if you ask me.

Captain Gain
Unregistered guest
I have a filter on the pole outside which allows only Channel 72 or the internet to pass. I really do not want to change it. Is there enough leakage through the filter to amplify it with a low noise filter to get some if not all channels ? I realize I would have to keep Channel 72 level constant as the cable company can remotely see the received signl level on my modem.

Anonymous

I have a filter mounted on the pole which allows internet access only. I really do not want to change the filter. I would rather build an amplifier that I can place inside to overcome the effects of the filter. The question is then is there enough signal level leakage to build a drive a low noise amplifier and of what gain. I do not have to get all channels. But at the same time I need to filter the Ch. 72 which the internet "talks on" so the cable company can not see the received level of my modem.

Captain Gain
Unregistered guest
I have a filter on the pole outside which allows only Channel 72 or the internet to pass. I really do not want to change it. Is there enough leakage through the filter to amplify it with a low noise filter to get some if not all channels ? I realize I would have to keep Channel 72 level constant as the cable company can remotely see the received signl level on my modem.

cablefreak--
Unregistered guest
someone here should try to unhook a cable filter and open it up.

About the 90 volt thing in the post above -cable tv signals are in the millivolt (technically milliwat, because its RF) range, and u could make a simple surge protector for that,just in case.

I once hooked up a smal portable tv to a splitter on the side of my house and got free cable tv.

Most new tvs have an option in the menu to receive calble channels up to 999. My tv has 4 different options for the types of cable frequency configurations.

Most homes have a cable distribution box in ur basement or wall-look for a covered socket outlet-they are the same size as outlet boxes but are covered with a plate. Open it up and find the cable

Almost all of cable sockets (not the same as above-those where u would have connected ur tv or modem if u pay) have 2 or more cables inside. Open them up and test!!!

apartments DEFINATLY have this box in the basement\where the washers\dryers are. Most of them are unlocked. Just make sure u onnect the cable to a couple other neighbors, to cover up ur tracks.

CONCLUSION:Experiment!!! Open up all boxes in\around ur house!connect a portabe tv to them!

-[this text is for educational use only-i personally like experimenting with electronics and boxes]-

cablefreak--
Unregistered guest
Another Thing...

If you are extremely paranoid, u can analyze and generate all signals passing through the filter by using a

spectrum analyzer (will cost u $200-$+5,000,000
http://www.electrorent.com/products/search/RF___Microwave_Spectrum_Analyzers.htm l
oscillospe(costs $40+)
http://www.electrorent.com/products/search/General_Purpose_Oscilloscopes.html
test rf signal generator
http://www.tti-test.com/products-tti/generator/gens-rf.htm
rf strength meter ($10+)
http://www.trifield.com/rf_meter.htm

goto http://www.jneuhaus.com/fccindex/cablech.html for cable tv frequencies.

Hugo Duarte
Unregistered guest
What about "Basic Service" that gives you about 25 channels? How do they filter out 25-75?

Basically, my question is, if I have HSI and pay for the basic service, what is the probability of getting channels 25-75?

I'm tired of new customers getting $30-40 off of their service while long time customers are getting hosed.

m084307
Unregistered guest
Adelphia customer using seasonal connection for cable. I want to add internet service and called office. They said you already have it, but we have to send tech to remove filter for $29.95
I ask what the differnce in price when I add internet, they say it's the same as you are a seasonal customer. Can I remove the filter? I'm not stealing seeing the price is the same.

Anonymous

There are generally 3 types of hook-ups, aerial on the pole for older neighborhoods, green plastic round coverings(PEDs) close to the street, or lockboxes on the side of apartments.

The aerial is the biggest pain because you will need raise an extendable ladder up to the tap and work up there for a few minutes. The tap is usually 2-3 feet from the pole itself and would be quite difficult to reach to do what you need to do.

The green PEDs are either locked in the front which requires a star key to open or a padlock. Just use bolt cutters on the lock or you can drill a hole just above and to the left of the star key lock and push in with a screwdriver to release it.

The lockboxes on the apartment usually always use a padlock. Again, just cut it off.

Okay, so now you have access to the taps. Look for your line, which should be identified with your apt number or the last 2 digits of your address. Any ports that are not being used will usually be covered with a terminator. These are tapered silver short cylinders and require a terminator tool to remove.

You will need several tools that can be bought at Radio Shack and Home Depot:
* RG 59 coaxial cable
* RG 59 fittings
* 2 way splitter
* Two wrenches 7/16"

If there is a filter, you can safely remove it from the line with the wrenches and plug directly into the port with your coax line. These filters/traps DO NOT send signals back to the cable office. LOL

If there are sleeves covering the filter and you cannot get a wrench over them, cut the line and crimp/compress a new fitting on it. Then plug it directly into the port.

There are "terminators" on unused taps that will not screw off without a terminator tool. If you do not have cable currently, you can easily hook up a two way splitter and steal the signal from one of your neighbors. I advise only doing this in an apartment lockbox, because it looks really obvious anywhere else. Cut off your address tags and it just looks like there is another outlet in that other apartment.

Just realize that when your neighbors move or cuts their cable, your service will be gone too.

GOOD LUCK

sdfhskfhsdf
Unregistered guest
What does the Viewsource TYR75LT do?

sfdsdfsdf
Unregistered guest
Sorry I made a mistake: I meant TR75LT

Username: Limitzero

Okay, I have never had more than basic cable in my entire life so if I sound like an idiot on the subject, I am.

I currently have basic cable (2-20) with Time Warner. If I were to buy a converter, would I be able to get channels 20+?

Anonymous

What type of terminator tool will I need to use, I looked them up on ebay and there are several different models. How do I now which one I will need?

Anonymous

Im well versed in the cable thing. But have recently ran into a problem while doing "Cable Installs" The box star key that is getting more common around these parts is very diffuclt for me to find. Anyone no where I can purchase this item. Its the key that looks like a star that is usually flush with the bottom of the box. Any websites would be highly helpful..Got any other questions and maybe i can help.

Anonymous

okay, so getting tv cable seems easy if you suscribe to internet service.

all i have to do is remove the filter? why do you need wrenches anyway, if the box is open isn't it juat a matter of removing the filter, using a female to female connecter x2, and a small wire?

also, will the cable company find out or not?

Username: Bada66

EASY WAY TO BI-PASS THE FILTER AFTER U GET THE INTERNET.

1. crawl up the pole late at night.
2. unhook the filter and take into your garage.
3. take it apart and hollow it out.
4. put a short cable in it from end to end.
5. screw it back onto the hookup on the pole.
6. connect your cable to it.

and then bang u have free tv while paying for your cable internet. and they will never know!!!

goodluck.

Username: Bada66

Post Number: 2
ok this is basically how it goes.

the short filter about 2/1/2 inches long blocks channels 25-75 or something like that and allows the cable internet through.

the longer filter about 4-5 inches long only allows the cable internet through and about 5/6 channels on the tv.

if u just hook into the cable wire connection u will have all the channels plus free cable.

goodluck guys.

anyone else not affraid to speak up?????????

8 years and counting on for free!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous

I found my filter and removed it this weekend. it was a small purple plastic thing. However, I am still onlyy getting channels 2 - 20. There is one line of coax I haven't been able to unplug b/c there is a silver sleeve about 1" on each end. Could there be another filter in there? Any suggcestions on how to get in or what else could be keeping me from getting basic channels?

question
Unregistered guest
Does anyone have an answer. In a prison there is paid cable running to two TVS in a dayroom housing 100 inmates. Is it possible legal to tap into the cable wire and run splitters throughout the housing unit.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us