Should I get a cable card?

BLdvl
Unregistered guest
Are cable cards worth the money? If so, how much
do they cost. I already have digital cable as well as the hd channels and I'm unsatisfied with
the cable box.

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 233
Price varies depending on who your cable provider is.
Are they worth it? Better PQ, allows you to enjoy features on your TV normally lost when using a STB, one remote control, no need to switch inputs are all good points. No access to PPV, MOD or Program Guide with current versions of CC technology. You can read some of the cable card threads under HDTV Reception on this website and see what kind of problems people have seen. My personal opinion, if you already own a CC TV, give it a try and see what you think...can't be any worse then what you're dealing with. If you are thinking about going out to purchase a CC TV, you'd be better off to wait until they come out with a two-capable version so you can get access to MOD/PPV/program guide.

Silver Member
Username: Kdog044

Post Number: 145
I have both and if you don't have the dual tuner DVR (this is the only reason I keep the box) there is no reason to keep the cable box. Most, if not all, cable card capable TV's use TVGOS for an IPG so the only thing the box gives you is automated PPV and Sports packages (you can still order them the old fashioned way over the phone)and On-Demand which I rarely use at all. With the cable card, at least in my area, you would save the rental for the STB (cable card is free for me) and get better reception of analog stations. Lastly, the TV would handle all conversions as opposed to the STB (this wouldn't be an issue if they provided a native pass-through option). If you set the STB for 720p then 1080i signals are converted by the box. If you set it to 1080i then 720p signals are converted to 1080i and then back to 720p by the display. The cable card would pass the signal native and the display would be the only one preforming conversions if necessary.

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 235
Very nicely put Kdog, haven't heard from you in a while...everything been working ok since the bugs were "exterminated"?
One note, the STB's we use have the ability to choose all formats at once or individually. In other words if I want to opt 480i/480p/720p/1080i it will format analog into 480i, digital into 480p, ESPN-HD into 720p (it's the only 720p HD channel we offer currently), and 1080i for all the normal HD channels. It's still IMHO not as good as using the composite or S-video outputs for non-hd channels, and the component or DVI/HDMI for the HD channels, but it's nice to have that option on a STB. It still pales when compared to the PQ of the CC, but to each their own. Hope all is well with you and yours

Silver Member
Username: Kdog044

Post Number: 146
cableguy,

I am happy to report the cable card has worked flawless since the firmware upgrade. Too bad the TV didn't have an integrated dual tuner DVR, then I could give up my 6412. Otherwise, I continue to use both as there are times, believe it or not, that I record two shows at the same time and watch a third. This is normally only during sports seasons. I never have to worry about missing an episode of Lost, 24, American Idol, or Survivor or the local Lion's game. Now if only I could get my remaining issues with TVGOS corrected I wouldn't have anything to complain about. Thanks for all your insight while I was struggling to get the CC working.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us