Help with Samsung 4667 Picture Please

Username: Rhallva

Post Number: 8
My new TV, with is connected to DirecTV (not HD) via S-Video looks pretty good but the picture seems distorted a bit in that everything looks a little shorter and a little wider than I am used to seeing. The people look short and heavy.

I went into the DirecTV menu and changed the DSS Reciever to the 16:9 mode but it seemed to make no difference onscreen with this problem. The only thing I have found that helps is switching to the smaller 4:3 mode and then the picture is no larger than my old TV and not quite as clear as my old TV (since I do not have HD input).

Is there a way to fix this problem?

Thanks!
R

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 136
Welcome to our world!

I don't like the stretch, zoom, or panoramic modes either. I prefer to see the black bars when I'm viewing non HD content or digital EDTV networks that have limited HD programming.

The object of the 16:9 HD set is not to distort old NTSC 4:3 programming, but to display the good stuff like no set before them could.

The good thing is that the HD sets are backwards compatible at all, since we have to put up with the old NTSC broadcasts until the FCC takes the spectrum next year.

I have found, that periods of pure viewing pleasure are worth the shrinking segments of old technology as we endure the slow transition to 21st century broadcasting. I'm becoming less interested in any programming that's not EDTV or HDTV. It's a good thing that local networks are transmitting EDTV on UHF or I might think I pulled the trigger a bit too quick on this new stuff. Even though most of the networks' EDTV is 4:3 it's still twice as sweet as NTSC. When the World Series and NASCAR made their HD debut it was magical as the screen filled edge to edge with I popping clarity. I didn't want to leave the room as I watched the beads of sweat and every skin pore with each facial expression. Then, when they did a slow-mo of a curve ball it was an incredible experience. Since then I've been wowed by so much HD content that I don't even care about the old standard anymore. They have added primetime HD shows like Las Vegas, ER, Medium, House, Law and Order, Jay Leno, and so many others that I'm glad I was ready for the HD revolution this year.

Username: Maulrat

Phoenix

Post Number: 1
FYI, Ive heard you talk about putting a standard antennae on your set and being able to pick up the free broadcast channels that are offered. Can anyone do this or is it specific to Sattelite(Direct TV) subscribers only? For instance I use Cox cable... could I just hook up a standard anttenae to the back of tv and get these channels?

Username: Rhallva

Post Number: 10
Steve-
I tried to do what you said to pick up some HD, but had no luck. Reception is so poor where I live ... that was the reason I had to go to DirecTV in the first place. If you live in a place that gets good reception then you should be able to pick up HD on air. You just have to switch your Input or Source to the one your antennae is connected to. I wish you better luck than I had! :-)
Later

Username: Maulrat

Phoenix

Post Number: 2
Well, I suppose its worth a shot- dont have much to lose. Thanks for the info. -Steve
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us