Thinking about the Samsung DVD-HD931...

Username: Idversusego

Post Number: 1
Can anybody give me a reason not to get this? My TV is HDTV ready and has a DVI input with HDCP compatibility. Anything I should know about this player or any player out there that is better for the money?

Username: Roscoe

Post Number: 10
I took mine back.

1) DVI picture was not noticeably better than component picture (which you can on DVD players that are get much cheaper).

2) My TV's native resolution is 720p and automatically upconverts anyway...so the fact that the DVD player does it became irrelevant.

3) DVDs are NOT true HD...I wanted to use the DVI port for my True-HD Satellite receiver.

4) Player could not change aspect ratio of the DVI output. The extras on most DVDs as well as many older movies are all recorded at 4:3...the player stretches it to 16:9 with no ability to change.

5) Annoying "jog" dial glows a tremondously bright blue with no dimming capability...a real annoyance in a dark (theater-like) room for a dial with no really useful function.

Roscoe

Bronze Member
Username: Lexus0829

Post Number: 16
The VINC's bravo d1 was rated better than this. Please check it out it's only $199

James Brown
Unregistered guest
I purchased the HD931 and I am taking it back. I have a Hitachi 50v500a with DVI and the black levels on the Samsung cannot be properly calibrated.

When attempting to calibrate The HD931 with DVE, the 2% below black does not appear.

Bright movies are great, but darker movies such as Matrix are very hard to watch.

Hope this helps.

James
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us