Need help!!! Which TV to buy from Sears? Any suggestions would be great!!

Username: Wahhutch9

Post Number: 1
Hey everyone... this is my first post on here, but I have been visiting the site frequently over the last couple months.

Anyway, here is my situation. I have some gift cards to Sears that I have received over the last year or so for birthdays, Christmas, etc. and would like to apply them towards a TV from Sears.

I have been in to the local Sears in Toledo, Ohio and checked some out there and have been looking on-line also. I was about ready to buy the Hitachi 57S715 from there... until they took it off of their website and out of their store (yet, they still have the 51S715!) So I was bummed about that.

But I still would like to purchase one from Sears. The only problem is, I don't know which one I should buy!

The absolute MAX I would want to spend is $2,500... but would like to stay closer to the $2,000 range if possible. I looked quite a bit in to Hitachi's... but haven't done much research in to Sony, Toshiba, etc.

What would everyone recommend for me to purchase? I would like to stay at least 51" if possible... here are the TV's that Sears offer:

Hitachi 60V500
JVC HD52Z575
Mitsubishi WS65S15
Mitsubishi WS55515
Sony KP57WS520
Toshiba 57H84
Mitsubishi WD52525
Panasoni PT-52LCX65
Sony KDP-57WS655
Hitachi 60V710 (Actually $2700 but I would consider if it is absolutely worth it)
Hitachi 51F510
Sony KDF55WF655 (Against, $2700 but would consider)
Sony KDF50WE655

Thanks for any input and suggestions! I really appreciate any feedback,

Bronze Member
Username: Jimkw

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 26
Wait for the 1080P chip and see what happens with the prices. Also remember Sears is great when it comes to mathcing prices at CC or BB. Find the best price you can at a local retailer and they will match the price. On Fourth of July weekend I bought a TV there and they matched the CC price and took off an extra 10% for opening a Sears charge.

Is there a reason why you do not have any Samsung's on your list? I know Sears sells them and I am leaning towards the HL-Rxx67 series.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the input... I am new to this and don't know a lot about TV's.

What is a 1080P chip? When does it come out?

I am aware that Sears price matches. I found the Hitachi 57S715 at a local dealer that had it on sale for $1700... while Sears had it for $2099, but I wasn't ready to buy it yet. Then when I went back to Sears... they no longer had the 57S715! I was hoping for the price match plus 10% of the difference (Sears' policy).

There were no Samsung's on my list because I didn't see any of them listed on Sears' website... maybe I missed a few?!?!

Thanks! Any other suggestions?

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 28
You can read quite a bit on this forum about the 1080P. I'm not one to go into the technical details. It is coming out this month, I do know that, and it means a better picture when the stations start broadcasting in the higher resolution. Here is info on the Samsung HlR5078 which will be their 50" 1080P set.

http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?prod_id=H LR5078WX%252fXAA

I know Sears sells Samsung because I bought there for my daughter two weeks ago.

Post Number: 3
Thanks Jim. I tried to look up the 1080p with the 'Search' function... but all of that stuff is a foreign language to me.

Thanks for the link to the Samsung TV.

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 29
Here is the Samsung HL-R5067 at Sears. They want $2799 for it, but I know you can find it for much less.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=ELEC&pid=0 5754045000

I saw it last week some where for around $2100.

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 30
Yeah a lot of it is foreign to me too, but the point is that I think the models that don't have 1080P will come down in price because everybody will want the 1080P. The stores will have to lower the price on the older technology to stock the ones the people want.

Post Number: 4
Jim-

Any word if they found the monkey that has been running around in the area?

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 31
Sorry, but I have no idea what you are talking about.

Post Number: 5
Here's the link to what I was talking about:

http://www.nbc4i.com/news/4724478/detail.html

Any other thoughts on the above mentioned TV's from anyone?

Post Number: 6
Also, I would consider the following in addition to the ones mentioned aboved:

Sony KDF55WF655
Panasonic PT60LC14

Anonymous

here is what I think: instead of spending 3K on good 32' lcd or 40' plasma TV today, why not buy the Sony XBR CRT now for 1500 and in 3 years buy a 32' LCD TV for another 1500 - by that time the LCD TV will be as good as the CRT is today (or maybe even better), and the price will be 1/2 of what is today. So for 3k you will end up with 2 good tvs. Am I the only one that thinks rationaly here? Who cares that the CRT is 200 lb. Flat screen are only to impress housewifes... think about it: if you buy hifi components, will you buy the best looking amp or the large, ugly, better performing amp? This is a no-brainer to me...

Anonymous

here is what I think: instead of spending 3K on good 32' lcd or 40' plasma TV today, why not buy the Sony XBR CRT now for 1500 and in 3 years buy a 32' LCD TV for another 1500 - by that time the LCD TV will be as good as the CRT is today (or maybe even better), and the price will be 1/2 of what is today. So for 3k you will end up with 2 good tvs. Am I the only one that thinks rationaly here? Who cares that the CRT is 200 lb. Flat screen are only to impress housewifes... think about it: if you buy hifi components, will you buy the best looking amp or the large, ugly, better performing amp? This is a no-brainer to me...

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 795
I've had the JVC HD52z585 for nearly a year. It is an excellent set, and i would still choose it over anything else you listed. I saw it at Sears last week for around $2300, and I know they have room to go even lower.

Anon-

Buying a Rear projection CRT does not make sense for alot of reasons. Some people don't have the space, or don't want a TV that sticks out 3+ ft. into the room. You also need to add a component rack to hold your gear which also takes up more space. They also do not display in 720p or 1080p which are more ideal than 1080i. Burn-in is a serious problem so if you want to use your new TV for gaming or PC use, a CRT not a wise choice.

If you have the room, and only want to use your TV for watching broadcast television and DVDs a CRT can be a good cheap alternative. It definitely isn't for everyone however.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us