Panasonic Obsolescence

Bronze Member
Username: Mark1

Post Number: 14
Anybody know why the PANASONIC TH-42PX500U replaced last year's Panasonic TH-42PX25U/P Plasma TV ?

Any appreciable difference in features/performance?

Perrey Z.
Unregistered guest
Technically the PX25U couldn't display 720p digital signals thru the component and/or HDMi inputs, only on the VGA. And this 720p problem was also present on the Onyx XVS 30U series aswell. That problem as been resolve with the PX50U, PX500, PHD7UY, PHD8UY and possible second generation of the Onyx XVS series.

The panel from last year was a 7G with only 30,000-hrs. lifetime., the new one is their latest 8G {generation} with 60,000-hrs. lifetime.

Another improvement is new circuitry, which reduces the chances of image retention and the famous screen door effect.

New added features to the new PX500U includes the built-in EPG {Electronic Program Guide} and the swivel diamond table stand, originally introduce on the first Onyx XVS series.

The Only limitation i notice is the missing 37" PX500U model which seems to be widely available in every other country, except in the most popular Panasonic market {ours}.

The PX50U series is a whole new entry level High resolution series only available in the U.S. The 37" on this line is OK but would never be a replacement to last year's TH-37PX25U/P even with it's limitations.

I wish Panasonic would import the rest of their top level 500U LCDs and PDP models. It's a shame some of the good ones are still "Japan Only".

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Thanks for the detailed info Perrey. You really know your stuff! The 8G panel seems like a significant improvement--I feel ripped off with last year's model, ugghh.

What does 720p compatibility offer? If I have a new DVD player and digital cable TV, do I need 720p, is that an old standard that supports old equipment?

Perrey Z.
Unregistered guest
720p offer the convenience of watching the native digital resolution of some networks like ABC and CBS amoung others without converting the signal to 1080i {interlace}.

These TVs will allow the user to connect a range of devices regardless of their ages., however, i personally had notice that when i connect my old video game consoles, thru the RF Coaxial or composite there's a great lost of picture quality with old video games, the same thing with VHS and S-VHS.

JMR
Unregistered guest
FYI: The panasonic's have had 60,000 hours to half life since the 6 series glass.

Perrey Z.
Unregistered guest
You're wrong JMR., According to Panasonic their previous generations where only 30,000 hours that's why it wasn't never mentioned on any specification sheets.

When they made the announcement of the new models at CES 2005 they mentioned these new 8th generation panels where 60,000 hours which is double the life of their previous panel.

I read it many times on different websites prior the released of the PX50U series, I know what i'm talking about.

Perrey Z.
Unregistered guest
...You know about Vizios, right? well, i now about all the other brands.

JMR
Unregistered guest
No Perrey Z you are wrong. click on http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelDetail?storeId=1120 1&catalogId=13051&itemId=67906&catGroupId=16818&surfModel=TH-42PWD6UY&displayTab =F

NEVER MENTIONED THE SPEC.??????

Pull the spec sheet or manual. It is clearly listed in both. I have installed 1000's of my previous job. They are 60k.

JMR

Not to bag on you Perrey, but when you post wrong inno I need to corect it. I have been in the Plasma Biz. for over 6 years.

Perrey Z.
Unregistered guest
Doesn't really matter how many years you've been on the business or how many "1000s" units you've installed.

Again, the link is for the WD6UY series NOT the PX25U/P, PX50U or PX500U series which is totally inrelevant to the questions asked by the OP and my answers to the him. His post ask what's the difference between the PX25U series and the PX500u series, my answers, which involve the mentioned models is WHAT I'VE LEARN DIRECTLY FROM PANASONIC, NO SOME FORUM. Neither of us {the OP or myself} had ever mentioned the model or series you listed.

Try to keep up instead of hijacking the thread everytime and telling me i'm always wrong, i've offer advise based on facts and personal experiences with some of these units, not links. Until this day, no other poster seems to think i'm wrong, except you.

Panasonic made the announcement early this year about the longevity of their new panels which they claim was improved to last double than previous generations. By double i understand the previous generations were 30,000 hours.

Perrey Z.
Unregistered guest
BTW., There's a thread enquiry on this forum about the 10,000:1 Contrast Ratio 50" Vizio, you know more than me about thouse units, why don't you help that OP for a change?

JMR
Unregistered guest
Perrey. Don't take it personaly. The glass is the same in the consumer ver. They have been 660k since the 6 gen glass in both comercial and consumer/ the PX25U/P is a 60k glass. I did reply to the Vizio thead. The unit are on sale now direct from V, Inc. Will be in Costco next mo. Panny PR has been the same for years. When the went to the 6 glass. They have said double life life glass. Same when the 7 glass came out and now the 8 glass. I was not "Hijacking" this thead, just pointing out Panny has been at 60k for some time now.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Thanks to you both. What this tells me is that the manufacturer is absent from consumer communications. It sucks to outlay this much $$ and not be able to get straight answers, presented in a simple format, directly on the Panasonic web site. I appreciate both your intents. If you two technical guys can't agree, how is an average consumer ever going to sort this stuff out?! I'm thinking that 30,000hrs life span, divided by 4hrs of viewing per day = 7500 days...divided by 365 days per year = 20 years of life expectancy. That still sounds pretty good. Unless the quality will deteriorate signficantly each year over 20 years, ultimately going completely dead at 20? Is that the way this math works?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
I just realized that 30,000hrs means "half life."

If I do the math (based upon 4hrs/daily usage), my screen will be less vibrant by about 5% each year for 20 years. Hopefully, I can compensate with screen adjustments, and not end up trashing my set 5-10 years down the road.

I tried to look up the specs on the Panasonic web site, but they don't post my model. It's only six months old? Humbug!

Perrey Z.
Unregistered guest
The TH-42PX25U is last year's model and was listed until April.

Panasonic wants everyone to purchase their products, yet they don't fully disclose specific details that are very important in making a purchase decision. and when they do, it's mess up information that doesn't make sense unless you see and test the actual products at a B&M.

Right now there's a huge deal of confusion with their new LX50U LCD series., according to some at Panasonic and 2 independent CES 2005 press releases the four models:

TC-19LX50, TC-23LX50, TC-26LX50 and TC-32LX50 have front A/V and S-video inputs and a HDMi input. well guess what, thouse important details aren't fully disclosed or clearly stated on the models specification sheets or had been confirmed except for the TC-32LX50.

And what's worse, the authorized dealers who sell these units online cannot confirm or deny if the 19" and 23" LCDs have HDMi inputs much less front inputs.

More on this mess., according to Panasonic the swivel stand for their 23" LX50 is optional, but if you ask the dealers, they'll tell you the TV does include the stand.

Check http://www.onecall.com/ then search for Panasonic TC-19LX50., in the product title it mention the model have an HDMi, scroll down the product page and read the specs., next to "HDMI:" it says "No view", what's up with that?

The same deal with the PX25U series and Onyx XVS was they never cleary stated how you can display 720p resolution, they did said thouse TVs were able to display 720p but it was never mentioned how.

Here's more confusing information., according to Panasonic, their 22" LCD TC-22LH30 does not have an HDMI input., but guess what? i have it and it does have the input. Another funny thing is the LCD is capable of displaying Closed Caption and it's clearly stated on the specs.

However... they "forgot" to mention the LCD will only be able to display Closed Captions on 480i resolution signals, nothing above that, not even 480p.

Misleading information? you betcha.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Hi Folks,

In case anyone has similar questions about this model, I emailed and telephoned Panasonic directly. Here's their official statement: The TH-42PX25U model is 7th-generation glass; Image rated for 60K life expectancy (30K half life); BTW, they do not rate the unit's overall life expectancy.

Interestingly enough, the technician who I spoke to at the Panasonic Call Center 888-843-9788 even went so far as to say that he has never seen burn in "...you will not see any burn in--even if you leave your DVD player on pause overnight, nor experience logo burn-in, ticker burn-in or sidebar burn-in" Incredible claim, I mentioned that it contradicts everything that is published about plasma technology, he still stood behind it! SO MUCH CONFLICTING INFORMATION, UGGHHH!

- Mark

Caveat Emptor - The axiom or principle in commerce that the buyer alone is responsible for assessing the quality of a purchase before buying.

which one?
Unregistered guest
As much as I want to belive that, I don't believe it, and it will cost me 2K to find out myself-- yeap it is not easy.

Perrey Z.
Unregistered guest
Yes, That's Panasonic's famous pre-sale gimmick. "No burn-in", "it has an integrated screen saver", "White wash has proven inefective", yeah right!., ask me, i had one, 6-hours after i set it up i saw the first sights of closed caption burn-in and the initial ghosting of the Bloomberg and CNBCW logos.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us