Flat Panel or RP - smaller room - suggestions ?

Username: Lgo51

Post Number: 7
Mom's got new digs and 'needs' a new TV. The room's 10' wall-to-wall so i figure about 7' viewing distance. She's hooked on flat, but did get a bit of sticker shock on flat panel units. I'm thinking a 30's-ish screen (16:9) would be about right... yes? no? Thoughts?

Naturally, a RP has a more attractive price tag, but i'm not sure that that size exists. So i thought i'd ask the wiser folk here.

Many thanks for your help.

Anonymous

You have lots of choices. 7' viewing distance should be good for widescreen TV up to about 46".
You cannot go by the old 4:3 TV rule. According to my calculation, you need a 40" HDTV to get the same size picture as a 32" SDTV. Plasma and LCD panels certainly are attractive, but for this size, you have a lot DLPs, LCD RP, CRT and CRT RP to pick from that are much cheaper.

Post Number: 8
Thanks. Does anyone know of a RP in the 34-40" range? It seems that the decision is coming down to a direct view in the 30-24" range or a small RP. The RP has the advantage of being slimmer, a plus for Mom.

Anonymous

Panasonic PT-40LC12 40" LCD Projection can be had for about $2K. It is only about 15" thick. Should also consider Samsung's smallest DLP which is 46" for about $3K.

Anonymous

Sorry, the smallest Samsung DLP is 43" not 46".

Post Number: 9
Well, the deal's done. Cute quality won the day. We located a Toshiba 30HF83 at an e-tailer for about $1200 and a stand at a local vendor. The 34" would have been nicer, but at an almost 50% up-tick in cost that was hard to justify.

Thank you all for the thoughts and advice.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us