Cable TV Coaxial hookup and HTIB

Username: Cincychris

Post Number: 1
I'm looking into purchasing some home theater equipment, whether it be component-based or packaged together HTIB-style I'm unsure of at this time. But I have a question I hope some of you can answer before I begin purchasing.

I'm going to be in a dorm room again next year, with a cable hookup in the wall - a coaxial cable that, as of now, I hook into the back of my 20" TV. As I said, I'm looking into purchasing a receiver and speakers after I earn some money this summer, but I'm currently under the impression that a receiver will not directly take this coaxial cable connection.

Now, for the VCR part: I know that VCRs have a coaxial cable that allows you to run your cable from the wall, through your VCR, into your TV. What I want to know is:

1) Can a VCR take a coaxial cable and output this signal to RCA cables so that I can hook into a receiver, and split the audio from the coaxial to my purchased speakers?

2) Is there any other way, if this (1) is impossible, for me to have coaxial split to a L/R (and possible 5.1) channel speaker through a receiver?

I assume this is a basic home theater question, but I cannot seem to find any answers to it. Any help would be appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 883
1) Yes. Speakers connected to receiver, not directly to coax, however.
2) Can't obtain 5.1 from VCR and analog outputs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us