Sony kv30hs420

Username: Jackrpr

Post Number: 2
I was wondering if anyone has this tv or used to and what you liked and disliked about it. It is a 30 inch widescreen hdtv.

Bronze Member
Username: Frostyda9

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 15
I'll let you know tomorrow after mine gets delivered =D I have spent a fair amount of time tweaking and playing with it in store though, and I can say two definite things: the picture is amazing (none of the LCD's I compared it to could touch it) and it's HEAVY. Like, 150 pounds heavy. I also managed to get the stand thrown in for free, which is nice when you consider Sony charges $400 for it here. More tomorrow...

Unregistered guest
Mike.
I own this TV and absolutely LOVE it! I am also extremely knowledgeable about A/V in general, so I'd like to help in way possible. Any questions on the set? Let me know

Bronze Member
Username: Frostyda9

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 16
OK, took me a little while to post, but I'll have to agree wih AVGuy on this one. It's a heavy and physically big tv, but the image quality is amazing. It seems to be limited only by the quality of video signal you feed it. If you don't mind it's girth and you don't need anything bigger, I would go for it without a second thought.

PS. I ended up having to hoist it onto the stand by myself, and I managed to do it. Not easy, but possible to do.

Anonymous

AvGuy

I have heard that you can adjust picture size in 4:3 mode but not in 16:9 mode on this tv is that true?

Username: Avguy

Pittsburgh, PA USA

Post Number: 1
I don't understand, what do you mean by that? What do you mean by 'adjust picture size'? The only 'pictures' you cannot adjust on this TV are HD and progressive scan programs. In other words, if you're viewing an HD program you will be confined to the format chosen by the broadcasting station. And when you are watching DVD's from a progressive scan player you will be confined to the screen size (aspect ratio) you choose in the DVD setup menu.

I have found that I prefer watching everything in 16:9 on this TV. Considering that the only programs that ARE adjustable are low-quality SD programs, I just feel that stretching the picture vertically has a negative affect on the picture quality; but to each his own...

Username: Jas72

I have had this particular TV since July of 2005 and have just recently seen a problem. Suddenly the picture will "split" into three distinct images, one red, one blue, and one green. It is on all channels, even when I switch over to my DVD input. I ended up turning the set off for just a bit, and it was OK when it came back on. It has just recently starting doing this so I'm not sure yet if there is a distinct time when it does it. I telephoned my supplier who gave me the "authorized" service provider, who wanted $40 to come to my house (yes, at 150 lbs, it is indeed heavy) and then charge from $250-$400 depending on the screen size! It is still under warrany for parts, but not labor. So I'd be out at least $290 just for the service call. So I called up another service center, one at a strip shopping center, and the guy said to "reset" the TV by unplugging it for 30-45 minutes. Has anyone else heard of this solution for this particular problem? Other than this small glitch I have thoroughly enjoyed the set.

I have contacted Sony about my problem. Since my set is just a few months out of warranty, they are going to "accomodate" me and pay for the service and parts. They have been very pro-active about seeing that I am satisfied, as they have actually telephoned me on several occasions. If anyone is interested, I can give you the telephone number of a very nice lady named Suzanna (sp?) who has been very helpful.

Post Number: 3
I ended up taking my Sony to Cardinal TV in Norfolk. Sony authorized them to do whatever it took to fix the problem, which ended up being replacing the picture tube. They did, and when I got the set back, the on/off switch didn't work and the remote control worked only when you were very close to the TV. The owner of Cardinal came out to my home on his way home and fixed the problem, at no charge to me I might add. It wound up that a board was slightly out of kilter which was why the on/off switch was inop and the hole for the remote eye was off as well. Kudos to Cardinal TV and to Sony for helping me out. The picture has been fine.

Username: Vstarpilot1

Hampton, GA United States

I have had my Sony since Aug. '05. I do love the thing, but I am having the same problem that JAS was having. Was hoping that you could get me the Number for Suzanna so that I might call her for the same help. Thanks

Post Number: 4
Steven,
Sorry I haven't checked back here in quite a while. Her number is 239-768-6387. The fax # is 239-768-7816. I could have those reversed, but you'll know immediately when you call. For reference, my Event ID # was 29745416. They may be able to see from that what they did to resolve the issue. Good luck.

Silver Member
Username: Ftalife

Post Number: 267
I have many sony's and they are all great. Samsung also makes great quality HDTV's.

Username: Vstarpilot1

Hampton, GA United States

I have resolved the issue. Hard to admit it, and I should have checked it first not last, but I had a bad cable. I replaced it in Mid July, and the Sony has been flawless since. I still love the TV and am very happy witht the purchase.

Post Number: 5
Steven, which cable did you replace? Mine showed the fault no matter what the input was, so I guess that's why the tech figured it was a bad picture tube. Glad you got it figured out. It can be frustrating until you do.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us