Newb - DVD Player advice

Username: Drift22

Springfield, NJ

Post Number: 1
Greetings all,

I just bought a 44" Zenith LCD Rear-Projection HDTV (720p/DVI Input) as the starting point of a Home Theater System. We just moved and digi-cable is getting hooked up Friday. Anyway, I want to pick up a decent DVD player and would appreciate advice on the best ways to do the following:

Have the clearest possible picture/audio while the new DVD Player is connected only to the TV, but still be in a good psotion to run the DVD player through an A/V Reciever when that time comes.

As far as the DVD Player, I guess I need a Progessive Scan, run-of-the-mill player (looking to spend around $150-$200. Any recomendation here?

What are the best kinds of cables to use? Component Video to TV? What about Audio? I'll eventually have Surround when the time comes for the receiver to be incorportaed.

Suggestions? Any help is greatly appreciated. Take care.

Username: Drift22

Springfield, NJ

Post Number: 2
Oh yeah, one more question: Composite inputs? What's the deal here? What are they exactly? Can they be used for Video and/or Audio or just one of these?

Username: Tmanxx

Sacramento, CA USA

Post Number: 3
I can say that "Composite Inputs" are standard RCA cables. Typically one red, one white, and one yellow for stereo sound and video. "Component Inputs" are three separate cables used only for video that send the Red, Green, Blue colors separately to your device.

Hopefully, you did mean component. If you did mean composite, S-Video would be a better connection of an RCA cable for video since it also passes brightness and contrast to your video device.

Username: Tmanxx

Sacramento, CA USA

Post Number: 4
I cant give advise regarding the DVI, since I have not messed around with a TV with that type of connection, but you can buy a DVD player that has that for an output. And I know that it is a digital connection and will provide better picture quality over component, s-video, composite, or coax (eek).

Oh, and as for audio, the best connection is via fiber. Any good DVD player will have a fiber audio output. And when you pick up a receiver to tie your whole system together, you will want to make sure that it supports fiber.

Hope the info I have provided does help you at least a little until someone else more knowledgeable can reply. :-)

Username: Avguy

Pittsburgh, PA USA

Post Number: 4
Matt,

The player you're looking for is the Bravo D2 by V Inc. It is probably the best DVD player on the market in it's price range. I know you were looking for something around $200, but believe me the extra 50 bucks is worth it. This player can only be purchased at www.vinc.com. The D2 is considered the reference player standard among AV enthusiasts and reviewers. It has a DVI connection which will be a perfect match for your TV. Check it out!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us