Sony 50" Grand Wega LCD Rear Proj 50we655

Username: Zonk1972

Post Number: 3
I purchased Sony 50" Grand Wega 50we655 LCD rear projection TV. Whe i first turn it on, it takes about 10 seconds for picture to come on. Also, when it does come on, it is dark but, then lightens up. I just wanted to know if this was a common issue. Also, when I shut the TV off, the standby indicator stays red. Is the TV still on or is this normal?

Unregistered guest
Frank...It takes about 80 sec for the bulb to get up to full brightness...If you just read your owners manual, you will find that all your concerns are normal....when the set is in standny it only draws about 20 watts...do Not unplug it...Enjoy your new Sony...I have a 60 inch and it is Great

Post Number: 4
I did read the 132 page manual and did not see anything specifing that the lamp needs to warm up. it just mentioned that if the standby blinks there is a problem. You probably have the same manual as me. Can you tell me what page you are getting your info from.

Thanks.

Unregistered guest
Frank...I don't recall exactly where I read it but it did imply that there is a "start up" period....some folks get concerned about it but it's just the nature of the system that the mercury bulb has to warm up to get to full broad spectrum output....when I power mine up with the remote, first the red light blinks green for about 4 blinks and then goes steady and the dark picture comes on and starts to build in brightness....after about a minute the true astounding results of this Sony jumps out to get you!...I had looked a many sets before I settled on the Sony....I almost bought a JVC but they are having never ending problems; cpsc recall for fire hazard, fan noise, many folks having to have the "light engine" replaced, and when I found that Sears and Crutchfield had dropped the line, that was it....I bought the Sony 60" and have had No Problems...just Great TV...I think you have little to worry about...I did put a 350VA computer type back-up power supply between the power cord and the wall socket so that if the power fails while watching TV...I have the chance to push the OFF button and let the set go through its normal cool-down cycle to protect that $200 bulb!....Don

Post Number: 5
Thanks alot for the info. I was just worried about leaving the power on in standby. I thought the tube would lose some life even though it is not actually on in standby. I did buy a Tripp-Lite Home Theater power bar for surges and such. But, is there a way to actually shut the TV totally off without pulling plug. Someone said to physically go to TV and click off the power/standby button. But, that did not work.

Unregistered guest
Frank...when you "turn off" the TV with the remote button (or the one on the set) the red light will come on....this means that the InfraRed receiver for the remote is ON watching for when you use the remote to turn the set ON....when the aset is OFF and the red light is on, everything but the remote control sensor is off...so just leave it plugged in...NEVER unplug the set when it is runnoing; doing so bypasses the bulb "cool-down" sequense and will shorten the bulb life (either the remote button or the one on the set puts it in "standby"; they both do the same thing)

Bronze Member
Username: Pugcharlie

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 96
Frank,
The red light is always lit when the TV is off. Referring to page 14 of your manual, it states:

"After turning on your LCD projection TV, it may take a while before the picture appears ( 1 minute or less)."

Then it does take another short while for the lamp to reach full brightness - around 80-90 seconds. All normal!
Enjoy
Steve
(another very happy KDF-50WE655 owner.

Post Number: 6
Thank you all for the help. Common sense told me that this was probably normal but, since I just got the TV, I wanted to make sure that this would be the case and also see it in writing. I just wanted to fix any possible problems NOW when I just got the TV. The cable guy is coming over tonight with the HDTV box so, hopefully I will be watching some great pictures soon.

Sat is where it's at!
Unregistered guest
@x#!@ cable guy...too bad!
Another new HD big screen gets a bad signal.
What a waste!

Post Number: 7
HEY, I am not sold on cable......sell me on satellite!

Sat is where it's at!
Unregistered guest

Perfect Reception!
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 10:31 am:

CABLE SUCKS!!!

Always has...always will.

CABLECARD is GARBAGE!

It's not what you want for HD or digital off-air.
It's never what you want for existing standard definition.
Digital cable isn't really all digital!
Cable is never a uniform quality signal to everyone.

You bought a high quality set...now give it the best signal.
Do yourself a favor and make the break!

Direct TV is not an alternative, it's the quality reception solution!
You can get a reduced priced HD receiver from them or go with a DTV HD/Terrestrial Digital (off-air) integrated receiver. It combines the inputs into one guide with a single output. Even if you don't get the DTV HD program package you can't beat true 100% digital NTSC standard definition combined with free off-air digital and primetime HD! All you need is an old style VHF/UHF antenna.

Don't compromise features by losing your guide and pay-per-view!
Don't compromise picture quality with a distorted cable signal or by splitting an already weak distorted signal and having to hassle with switching back and forth between inputs!

Sat signal is 100% digital and has uniform quality for everyone.

Use only component RGB video cables. Don't settle for any receiver that doesn't have the component Pr, Pb, Y output. Use the digital coax or digital optical output straight to your surround sound receiver.

Make your HD Home Theater the best it can be.
It won't cost more per month and you won't have any regrets!

grfunk
Unregistered guest
Until it rains real hard.

Tom R
Unregistered guest
Rain fade is rare and passes quickly.

I'd rather have a digital signal source at my home than trust a reseller to pipe it without degrading it from 10 miles away.

Unregistered guest
Tell the cable company you want the Cable Card...it is only about $2 per month and the FCC requires them to provode it if you ask...I have the Cabler Card in my Sony 60" and it works great...I get 100+ dig channles and 10 HDTV cnannles with no Box and far less cost....you just tune stations in on the regular tv tuner...NO DAMN BOX

grfunk
Unregistered guest
Rain fade is not rare. Depending on where you might live, it could be a weekly thing in the Spring and the middle of Summer. Of course, if you get the great installer that I had that didn't even have a ladder tall enough to put the dish up. I had to loan him mine and had tree fade after a few months. Then you have the great compression to look at. HD is going to look good either way. As soon as the last local station is up with their digital transmitter, I'm saying good-bye to cable and not looking back. Why pay for what you can get for free. Who needs 120 channels of crap.

Tom R
Unregistered guest
Man...I gotta agree with you there!

grfunk
Unregistered guest
When I bought my new Sony 42we655, I thought I would be watching more TV. I was wrong. I watch more NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX and PBS than anything else so there is really no need to take up anymore of my time surfing 120 channels. I don't play video games and the DVD looks great so I will have cable for one more month and then I will be saving $45 a month.

don s
Unregistered guest
Can I run my new Sony 50" Grand Wega with an outside antenna?

grfunk
Unregistered guest
You sure can.

Username: Dennis44

San Diego, CA

Post Number: 7
There is an input for the coaxial antenna on the back/top of the set next to the cable input. You toggle between cable and antenna using the remote.

Username: Topheim

Evanston, IL

Post Number: 1
Any one tried to use their 50 655 as monitor for Media Center? I cannot get a good picture when I attach my PC. Any known settings that can help?

Username: Ibtorres

Post Number: 4
TravisO, when i first got my 50WE655, I played for a week to try and get it working as a computer monitor. I was using a DVI-to-HDMI cable to connect the DVI Out of my video card (9800 Pro) to the HDMI port on the TV. Doing this, I could only get 2 resolutions working: 848x480 (480p) or 1280x720(720p). The 1080i setting (1920x1080 at 30hz) did not work.

When using the 848x480, the quality was crap. When using the 1280x720 (720p), the quality was outstanding. However, there was an area of the desktop space on on four sides that off screen.

I tried using a program called Powerstrip to make a custom resolution based off the 720p resoltuion to make the entire desktop visible. However, any time I changed the resolution, the TV screen would go black.

I called Sony, and they said that they don't support using that TV as a monitor. With that and my trial-and-error efforts, I don't think you can use the 50WE655 as a true LCD Monitor.

Having said that, I was able to use the S-Cable out of my video card to the TV and the quality was pretty decent playing Half-Life 2. I read somewhere that ATI sells a DVI to Component converter. I thought about picking it up to see how much better the component signal would be and if I had the same image issues, but never did.

Since then I have just enjoyed watching and playing console games on my 50 655 Sony TV :-)

Mike647
Unregistered guest
Is anyone still having power-up and bulb issues (with the Sony WEGA 50"-60")that were posted on this site many, many times about a year ago?

Username: Harley572

Post Number: 2
I have a sony 42we655 built june 05 just purchased. when set is turned on (cold) the screen lights up only and loud ringing from speakers. this does not go away on its own. I need to shut off tv and turn back on then i get normal picture. When tv is warm will not do this, only after fan has cooled bulb down and started will light with no picture. Sony is sending a tech out . i just wanted to know if anyone had similar problems, hate to see major repairs on new tv . Thanks harley572

brigopens
Unregistered guest
I am having power up issues over the past 2 days. Turn the TV on, hear the usual click, and then green light blinks 4 times. Followed by a yellow/orange blink, and then red blinks. Can't find my manual, searching for one online currently. Anybody help me out here? Bulb light is not lit as it was in the past. Will call for warranty service tomorrow and keep you posted.

Unregistered guest
will hooking up a ps2 to a sony 60'' grand wega shorten the life or cause damge?

Silver Member
Username: Hd_fanatic

Boise, ID

Post Number: 107
Absolutely not. Let the games begin!

Anonymous

hey thanks I didn't want to mess up a $3,000 tv just to play madden

Anonymous

hey thanks I didn't want to mess up a $3,000 tv just to play madden

Bronze Member

San Diego, CA

Post Number: 13
I had this issue before and somebody gave me the fix here. Unfortunately, I neither wro0te down the fix nor can I find the post...

I have the Sony 50" Grand Wega 50we655 hooked up through a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD box. My TV signal is currently confused, it appears that I'm stuck in zoom mode (although it says "Full Screen" on the menu. Even non HD channels fill the screen and my HD channels cut off parts of the picture because it appears oversized. Also, the picture appears grainy on HD channels. I think somebody used the PIP feature on the cablebox and switched between the HDMI and normal cable input and now the TV doesn't know what mode it's in. I need to know how to reset the TV.

Thanks!

Bronze Member

San Diego, CA

Post Number: 14
OK, I ended up figuring what was wrong. Someone hit the "Zoom" mode for the cablebox PIP and that made the TV confused. If anyone else has a problem where the TV thinks it's in 1080i, 16:9 mode on non-HD channels, they might want to check the PIP Zoom mode that came with their cable or SAT box.

Damn thing was pissing me off.

LCD_TV_User
Unregistered guest
I had this the Sony 50" Grand Wega 50we655 in July of 2005. It has an oustanding picture with an ok sound system. It keeps me to watch and enjoy it. Just one thing, the projection lamp died after one month of use. Sony replaced it for free.
The cost of the lamp is $200 (XL2100U), which will NOT be covered in the Sony Extended Warranty. How many bulb will be needed for each year? Anybody know? I am worry ...

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 704
YOu can buy this TV at Costco for $2300 with the stand and a lifetime warranty today! 50WE655

If you must have a lamp baseed TV. This is the only way to buy one. No worries for years. Just take it back.

Lets see Beast Buy price match all of that!!!

Anonymous

have Sony Wega 42" rear projection 655. I have Scientific Atlanta cable card, and Bright house.My input signal is fine, using a booster put it too high.
Everything worked just fine, until Bright house reset 610, 605 and 604. Per their bulletin they had to make technical changes required by FCC, which appears to be my problem. The Freq. on the channels I'm having problems with is 68700. These appear to be the only channels using this frequency. These 3 break up and tile, except for Sundays,when they work just great?? No explanation.
First Tech had not installed a card before, than got it working, 2nd visit got a great and knowledgeable tech, showed me how to reset card (even pulling and reinserting card) and 3rd time he put new card in, still problems with 68700 freq. Anyone else having this?
The cable card enables the TV Wega engine to double the vertical and horizontal lines. MUCH, MUCH better picture on analog than using box. Also sound better with cable card.
Right now I have set top box and cable card both while Bright house figures out what to do. This works great.. just a nusiance to change from video 5 to video 8 on my remote. Box is video 5 and cable card video 8. I use the card for all but my "problem channels".

Unregistered guest
I was having trouble with my Sony Wega 42". It shut off and didn't come back on. I paid a repair guy 95 bucks to push a few buttons on the remote and tell me that the lamp power supply died and it needs a new one. This TV is only 1 1/2 years old. I was just informed by the repair company this is going to cost me $524.17 bucks. This seems outrageous. Anyone know anything about this?

Anonymous

From what I have researched, the bulb alone is 200.. I had one person tell me that it was 50 to install, or you could do it yourself.. in structions in book.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us