Hitachi 50V500 failure

Username: Shockwave

Houston, TX US

Post Number: 1
As much as I love the picture when the system is working, I'm getting fed up with this thing.

I now have blobs of blue on the top, bottom and some in the middle of the display. Whereever there is white or gray, there's a big gooey blue smear all over the picture.

This is my third set. I chose this model for it's excellent picture and decent blacks. The first one had a big red blob in the bottom right of the screen. The second had a nervous breakdown. This third set, to be fair, has about 14 months of routine use. In that 14 months, the picture has been exquisite. I love watching movies on this thing as it's more like seeing films in the theater than anything else I've seen.

But for 3K$, I expect something to last a fair bit longer than 14 months. And I thought LCDs were far more reliable and sturdy - the reason I didn't go DLP or CRT in the first place. A set like this is supposed to anchor a living room and be good for at least 10 years; 5 minimum. But 1 year and change? That's unacceptable.

I purchased the 2 year extended warranty when I bought the set from Circuit city. I'm not sure how this is all going to go, but I think it's important to share things like this so we can all get the best for our hard-earned money. (You know, this TV cost more than my first car did?)

I'll keep you all informed of the progress.

Carpe per diem - sieze the buffet!

Enoughs enough!
Unregistered guest
"And I thought LCDs were far more reliable and sturdy - the reason I didn't go DLP or CRT in the first place. A set like this is supposed to anchor a living room and be good for at least 10 years; 5 minimum. But 1 year and change? That's unacceptable."

Since it's the third strike I'd be asking CC to cough up a credit or refund. Lean on them heavy if you have to. They will try to wash their hands of the matter and pass you off to the warranty underwriter, but I think being in their face with talk of Consumer Affairs Division, Attorney Generals Office, BBB, whatever...might cause a manager to offer a little customer satisfaction.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us