Samsung HL-R4667W won't get HD channels

Username: Bwalk67

Post Number: 1
I just purchased the above Samsung and yesterday Adelphia hooked up a Motorola 6200 stb to it. They did no set-up and I wasn't even getting a signal when they left.

Box is hooked up to Component 2 (DVD to Comp 1). If I set the source to TV I get a picture but nothing in HD. If I set the source to Comp 2 I get a message saying "weak or no signal".

I've switched the box to Comp 1 and still have the same issue. I've changed the settings on the Motorola box from 1080i to 720p etc and still doesn't help.

I've searched high and low for a solution online and found nothing that covers my problem. I'm not sure if getting a DVI connection will solve the problem or if I'm just missing something very simple.

Username: Nitetripr

Post Number: 6
Did you try calling techincal support?

1-800-SAMSUNG

Post Number: 2
I've tried the tech support route with Samsung and the cable company. They seem to think it's an issue with something other than their product.

I purchased a DVI connection, unhooked the coax from the box to tv(recommend by Best Buy to remove stb to tv cable) and I now have a picture. The picture is still not HD quality and I have black bars on the right and left. Still not sure if it's a config issue or if I have a problem with my stb or tv.

Bronze Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 59
Hi Brian,

Welcome to the forum!

I hate cable tv for a number of reasons, but you should have some HD channels if you subscribed to them. At the very least you should have some digital network channels.

By the wording of your post you are watching old NTSC 4:3 standard definition programming, which is still the mainstream of channels on cable and look the worst on a big screen. The black bars are normal for this type of broadcast. The only way to fill the screen is to use the sizing options in the tv's menu. I don't care for panoramic or zoom, so, I got used to the black bars on standard def channels.

Since I don't no your cable channel line-up or city I can't say if they offer digital networks, which are Enhanced Definition TV. (EDTV) Your local off-air networks such as ABC, NBC, CBS, and others are transmitting digital EDTV signals. This type of broadcast will look much cleaner and clearer than standard def, but will still have black bars unless the program is a true HD broadcast, which does fill the screen. These occur usually during primetime and sporting events. Right now FOX is broadcasting the NASCAR race in true HD.

You will have to check your line-up for Discovery HD and HD Net channel locations. If you subscribed to HBO or Showtime, they have an HD channel as well. ESPN HD is broadcasting College Baseball at the moment.

In menu/Picture I keep mine on Wide.

I would think your Motorola 6200 setting should be ok at either HD format. Your tv is a native 720P display. Some people say the cable boxes have a "pass thru" setting, which allows your tv to do all the sizing. I'm not sure if yours does.

I don't know why the component cables didn't work. I think Adelphia sucks for leaving you without a picture. It was probably a typical minimum wage entry level employee that doesn't no crap about cable. I hate cable! Oh...I said that already.

Direct TV is so so so much better!!!

If you can't get digital channels from cable, hook up an old style VHF/UHF antenna to your tuner input and do a channel search from your Channel section of the menu.

Post Number: 3
It appears to be the cable box. I'm running the cable from the wall to the tv and I'm currently watching the Nascar race in HD on Fox so I guess it's another Adelphia service call.

Bronze Member
Username: Klaus

Holiday, FL USA

Post Number: 77
Cable boxes are lowest bidder junk! you can go through them like a kid goes through candy. Check to see that your box is set to output 720p or 1080i. It may be setup to output 480p or i.

Post Number: 4
I've switched the settings on the box and I still don't get a quality picture. The box and tv are both set 16:9 but for some reason the box only shows it in 4:3. There is an overide in the box menu so it won't go to 4:3 but it simply stretches the picture degrading the quality even more.

TV works fine with an antenna or the cable hooked directly into the tv but I'm sure the cable company will try to tell me that the problems on my end.

I've avoided Direct TV to this point because of the installation but I'm starting to reconsider.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us