Samsung HLR6167W, Confused About Audio Sync ...?

Bronze Member
Username: Deegan

Post Number: 11
Yes, I'm confused and need some advice, input, and consideration.

I've owned the Sammy for about 20 days now and have four input sources: DVD via component input, Directv (SD) via S-Video input, local HiDef via OTA input, and Xbox via S-Video input. Of all four, ONLY the DVD funnels its audio through my receiver, the rest of the inputs audio go directly to the tv. I've noticed this mystical audio sync problem, now and again. I've tried to find a correlating common denominator but have failed to do so.

Initially, I thought the TV had problems during the 30 minute warmup. I thought the audio sync problems (specifically with DVD's) appeared more apparent during that first 30 mins and seemed to settle down -- at least thats what I thought for a few days but I've noticed it on other inputs.

While watching HiDef OTA show (Conan OBrien), the TV switches to standard 4:3 image during commercials. I noticed some (not all) commercials seemed mildly out of sync. One would be, the next would be fine, and so on. The actual hidef show was also fine.

I don't UNDERSTAND much about this problem and how to fix it. I know this has been threaded before, but would ask your indulgence for me (and those who may be interested in learning more about this phenomenon) and explain what you know.

Specifically: Do all DLP TV's have this issue? Is this unique to Samsung? What explains the difference between commercials and hidef programming? Could warmup actually improve the condition? Do I need drink heavily each time I turn on this TV? Answers, I seek your knowledge.

Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 56
DR,

I have the HL-P5063W with all audio routed directly to my Onkyo SS receiver and bypassing the set. My lip/sync issues are exactly as you describe. Most of the time with most programming it's not a problem, then suddenly a commercial is out of whack or a movie on HD Net is falling behind the sound by fractions of a second.
I have read threads where owners have taken the sound through the set first and have claimed success. My experience in doing that yielded the same spotty results as you. Perhaps they were only fooled temporarily. I don't think the set does any audio processing before routing the audio to it's outputs. Though it may process the sound for the internal speakers, I don't care to use the internal speakers.

I don't think it's a warm-up problem myself. It could actually be source related as spotty as it is. At least, that's what my local technician has stated. I've grown accustomed to seeing it on rare occasions. It's less bothersome during a commercial, but quite annoying if it ocurrs through an entire HD movie. For $400 more I could have purchased the Onkyo with the digital sound delay adjustment.

I was really hoping that the engineers of the "R" series had resolved this phenomenon. It seems they have not.
It sure seems that anyone who wants to use a Home Theater system with a Samsung HD RPTV will be saddled with this ghost in the machine. I'm curious to know if other brands have similar spotty lip/sync issues.

Maybe we're not drinking alone!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
So, reading between the lines: This is a problem unique to Samsung!? For my money, the only competition to the Samsung picture is the Mits. Since I'm within my first 30 days, I may be changing things up. We'll see. Any more info would be handy.

Bronze Member
Username: Klaus

Holiday, FL USA

Post Number: 76
Guys:
It is not just Samsung related. I have a Magnavox CRT in my bedroom which does the same thing, only harder to tell since the 20 inch screen masks it quite well. I had similar issues with a 32 inch Sony CRT and Dish network. I think that in many cases it is broadcast or source related, and there is no way the set can overcome that. There is some delay in many sets for Gaming but that is entirely the processing time, and not a sync issue.

PFC5
Unregistered guest
It is ALMOST exclusively a Samsung problem. Sure there are some source related problems on occasion with cable/sat/OTA, etc. which will show up on ALL TVs.

Samsungs (over) process the video SO MUCH that it causes this out of sync situation with some video sources. They just don't use chips that are fast enough to do the processing tasks Samsung has them do.

I had the HLP4663W, and it had a problem with the following movies I noticed:

Pirates of the Caribbean (worse with the DTS soundtrack)
Saving Private Ryan (Special Edition)
Bad Boys (Superbit DTS)

I am sure there are many more, but these are the ones I remember from 7 months ago.

The point is, with ALL other connections and equipment being the same, ONLY THE SAMSUNG had lip-sync problems. The other DLP Tvs I had hooked up the exact same way had NO PROBLEM.

This is a Samsung problem, that they keep saying is fixed with the latest models but it is NOT! I have already heard of over a dozen people complaining about this with the brand new HLR models.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
I had the establishment where I bought this TV extend my return period (in writing) so I could take additional time to deal with this issue.

Here is what they (store management) are telling me. Their Samsung rep said they are aware of the problem in the 2004 and 2005 models. They claim a "tech" can access a "tech-only" menu to compensate and adjust for the lip-sync issue.

My thimble runneth over with pessimism. I may be jumping out of the Samsumg market in favor of the Mits WD-62725 very shortly.

Bronze Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 84
Guys, if the video chips were the problem they would be a constant problem, not an extremely intermittent and selective one.

It's impossible for IC video processing to be selective about how it handles individual video sources.

Deegan,

It's true that there is an adjustment in the service menu, which would correct a constant a/v sync issue. From our mutual description, this is not the case. I'm with Klaus! "Source related" seems to be the only explaination for such sporadic occurrances. In my opinion, it doesn't happen enough for me to worry about.

The Mits has a very reflective glaring screen.
Be careful!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Someone mentioned it may be an issue with the TV and the amount of information it needs to process. They said the more the TV has to process the incoming signal, the more the TV expands the lip-sync. Other times, when there is less to process onscreen, the lip-sync is fine.

An interesting theory. Not sure where to go with this.

Bronze Member
Username: Jimkw

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 24
I have an old 40" Direct View Mitsubishi that I never noticed a lip synch problem until I went to Direct TV and a DVD player. My first DVD player had it real bad and I exchanged for a new one that still has it somewhat on some DVD's, but not that bad. Sometimes though watching regular local stations through Direct TV it is really bad. I definitely don't blame the TV. I wish I could. That way I could justify buying a new one.

Bronze Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 85
The processing "theory" is unproven at my house.

Most of my channels are standard definition NTSC 480I content like everybody else. My set is scaling those to 720P. On rare ocasions, a 30 second commercial might be off a little.

I watched an older movie on HDNet that was already 720P and it had a slight sync issue. Most of the time (99%), HD programming is in perfect sync.

I have a 480P DVD player that outputs analog, which my set scales to 720P and converts back to digital. I've never seen the problem on any DVD.

The "amount of information" doesn't change in a video signal format. It's constant in each format.

I would blame Direct TV exclusively if I hadn't heard others speak of delays with certain DVD players. Most of those guys bought different players and the sync issue was gone.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
DVD player ... hmmmmmmm

Well, only one way to find out. More on this later.

Anonymous

Discovered this review!

"Reviewed by: pattonkn from TX on Jun 27, 2005

Experience: 60 Days

Strengths: - Built-in tuner - Best price/performace ratio - Fan has no noise - No rainbow - No/very minor lip sync - Great horizontal view angle - Compatable with PC

Weaknesses: Nothing, especially not the picture.

Summary: I spent 6 months researching before buying a DLP TV, ends up with HLR5067 over the Toshiba 52HM84. Now having it for about 2 months and could not be happier. I was originally going to buy HM84 as it is slightly bigger and about $300 cheaper. But once I have seen a side by side comparison in BestBuy, I finally set my mind on Sammy as it has better color/contrast.

I watch HD through HDMI. No lip sync issue on most channels. Only seen once or twice on PBS, but I think this is more like a source problem.

Fan noise is non-existant.

Build quality seems good, no cheaper or fancier than anything else in the same price/quality range."

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us