Who IS WAITING!

SoufPhillJoe
Unregistered guest
I can't believe anyone in their right mind would plop down 3000- 10000 dollars for a TV TODAY... Maybe in Nov 04 Jan Feb 05...
I've read about the infamous FAN noise, the rainbow effects, the TV that refuses to turn on (Sony) or the bulb problem (Sony again) and all the other problems that for 3000 - 10000 dollars ... you have ot be insane to buy now...
Then there is all the new Tech stuff comming out...
HD2+ , HD3 for you DLP fans... Intels LCOS bid for the market, and sonys newer proprietary engine...

Who would want to buy now and have last years JUNK in 7 months?

aburnout
Unregistered guest
Well Said.

Bronze Member
Username: Jags

Raleigh, Nc Us

Post Number: 19
Cause the stuff you just mentioned will be junk in 2 years take your pick on when you want to buy junk i guess. Thats the electronic market. You say that there are all these problems with this stuff thats out now. Well how can you say without i am sure knowing anything about the new stuff coming out and surely not seeing it that it will work better ie. last longer. And if you think that stuff is good wait till you see what kodak has on the horizen. but hey just wait for it right? With thinking like that you will never have a tv.

Username: Souper

Post Number: 8
It's like buying a pc or camera. I just bought the 42" Mitsubishi at BB for 1140. It's not junk....has a great picture. Yes, the DLP's look better and the new ones will look even better yet. I'm not willing to spend twice the amount right now. For 1140 it's a dam nice pic and will work for me for years.

Bronze Member
Username: Emkmd

Post Number: 42
THe sets out there are very good. Sure there will be better technology out in the near future, but you'll just be waiting forever. You know as soon as you buy that 3GHz pentium, 4GHz will be out. But 3GHz is plenty fast..
E

Anonymous

Welcome to the digital age. Everything electronic is obsolete the day it comes out. I think it make sense to get a HDTV now if your want one or you need to replace an old TV. Otherwise, you would miss the Superbowl (I don't mean Janet Jackson) or the Oscar in HD. If you look at this issue logically and resist the temptation to chase the bleeding edge technology or to impress the neighbors, you can still get a good HDTV that will last you a long time (as they should). An execellent CRT HDRPTV can be had for under $2K, about the same price as they were before HD. It is a proven technology, it does everything the Plasma, DLP, LCOS can do to produce a good picture except for computer display but that is not most people buy their HDTV for. In fact, CRT RPTV can display 1080i that none of the fixed pixel TVs can do.

low-def
Unregistered guest
I agree with the original poster. The current crop of TV's doesn't cut it. Buy something that will be very good for years to come and won't be thrown to the landfill in 2 years because something better has come along. LCOS at 1080p will be very good and "competitive" for many years to come. All of the current TV's under $5,000 are not going to be very good for years to come. I've been watching a little 15" TV with so-so reception for the last 7 years and will not "upgrade" until I can get something with a resolution of 1080p for less than $2,000 and that's IF I upgrade. I don't even have dvd because high-def dvd is the minimum requirement for me to buy one. I already know lots of people who are outraged after buying these cheap HDTV's and EDTV's. Many people think an HDTV is an HDTV and that its resolution is already as high as it will go, etc. We have to face the fact that the electronics companies are releasing too many of their products too early. And I mean by years.

Bronze Member
Username: Emkmd

Post Number: 44
Don't wait forever. The DLPs right now are excellent. I am against LCD because of the dead pixel problem plus several other reasons. Low-def will be waiting for years and years for high-def dvd. I would consider waiting for the TI 1080p dlp chip which is supposed to be out at the end of the year, but don't hold your breath. I have had my Sammy 507w DLP for 2 months now and am very happy with it. I love Sopranos in HD.
-E

Anonymous

It is not fair to say the latest corp of HDTV are too expensive. As you learn in Econ 101, supply and demand determine the price. As long as there are enough people going for the newest plasma, DLP's etc. and they don't mind the cost, the manufacturers will keep on cranking out the new technology. Perfect for this over consume and keeping up with the Jones society. No one is forcing anyone to buy these not yet proven technologies.
I am not looking forward to see the landfills 5 years from now. I wish the crt, plasma, dlp and lcos are biodegradable.

SoufphilyJoe
Unregistered guest
I knew I would stir up the mud with this topic :-)...
Actually I WAS going to buy the sony 60 incher... Man its heaven.... but then the bulb problem came out... I think the sony looks the best and I would be willing to buy a new bulb every 2 years , if that... But, I'm sure we all agreey that sony has a PROBLEM... RIGHT NOW... And I'm not against buying right now... But I really wasn't impressed with the other DLP/LCD tvs... GOOD but NOT good enough for 3000 dollars...
At the moment I have a Sony 27 inch standard TV.... DVD's are wonderful on the set... AND I've had it for 6 years now... NOT a problem... Turns on when I turn it on... No fan noise! No dead pixels! No rainbow effects....

I AM ready for the wide screen projection TVS...The standard ones are too bulky and weigh too much...I have high hopes that sony, truely fixes their problem. And I'd like to see the new DLPs and intels Lcos design. I 'm pretty sure I'll be buying in December, with a credit card and with the 3 year extended policy... Any problems and It goes right back.... Charge gets credited... Wouldn't do it any other way...

Username: Revan

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 3
ummm what dead pixels.
I took the plunge and got a 60" rp lcd. There are
pros and cons with every technology. Pick the 1
you like and that has the features you need. This
panny has everything except firewire which i dont
need. in another 8 yrs i'll get a 90" lcd or lcos
with the latest tech. who wants a 35" mits.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us