Whats the avg life of toshiba hd crt tv's? or crt tv's in general?

jondaviskorn
Unregistered guest
i have the toshiba 26hf85 model to be specific

grfunk
Unregistered guest
Since HD tv's haven't been around for too long I can only say what I know about CRT tv's in general. If you are happy with the size of that tv, it will last you 20 years or better with normal operating times and conditions. I have an RCA 26" TV that I bought at least 15 years ago and it's still going and looks great for a TV with just s-video inputs. It has only 500 lines of resolution though. Direct view CRT TV's last a very long time.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 1169
If the switching power supply lasts that long.

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 792
Massey is exactly right.

Silver Member
Username: Vindsl

Post Number: 213
I cannot tell you the last time I had a picture tube burn out, it's been so long. CRTs have been around for 100+ years, and 'they' pretty much got 'em figured out. Still, it is a giant vacuum tube, so...

Things like flyback transformers, power supplies (as Dave said), and electrolytic caps tend to go first...

All things considered, I think you can safely expect 5-7 years out of any good TV! If you get more than that, they're living on borrowed time. They aren't designed to last forever, intentionally!

Silver Member

Post Number: 214
Here's some extra credit reading for you... :-)

http://www.elotouch.com/products/crtlife.asp

grfunk
Unregistered guest
I didn't want to get into all the little things that can go wrong with a TV but CRT sets do last a long time. I don't know what type of power supply is in that TV but I'm around a lot of switching supplies that have lasted more than 5-7 years. I have monitors at work that are from 1980 that the only thing that is wrong with them is the soft picture from being on 24/7. The biggest problem are the caps. Both in the switching supplies and the other circuits of the TV. I've replaced lots of those. Provided you don't watch your tv 24 hours a day, I'll bet you'll get sick of your TV before it dies. At least, you'll want something new anyway in the next 10 years.

Unregistered guest
.....as I understand, and please forgive my ignorance if I am not correct, plasma and lcd's only last 3-5 years..........I have dirty socks older than that!!! Also crt's will last forever with a good supply of parts, ie, power supplies, etc. Their vacuum tubes/picture tubes have been known to last one-hundred years. My question is this: where are those crt to hd converters I have been hearing about???

Unregistered guest
.....as I understand, and please forgive my ignorance if I am not correct, plasma and lcd tv's MAY only last 3-5 years (how many years is their warranty?)..........I MAY have dirty socks older than that!!! Also crt's will last forever with a good supply of parts, ie, power supplies, etc. Their vacuum tubes/picture tubes have been known to last one-hundred years. My question is this: where are those crt to hd converters I have been hearing about???

Gold Member

Post Number: 1455
A picture tube that lasts a hundred years is a good trick when they originated in the 30s.

Silver Member

Post Number: 235
Here's some anecdotal info...

The oldest surviving TV in my collection is a Sears B&W portable (tube model), that was purchased new in 1965. The damn thing just won't quit working...

Bronze Member
Username: Avernus

Post Number: 43
plasma's last 5-8 years...LCD is supposed to last as long as you have it

Username: Rf186

Post Number: 6
"LCD is supposed to last as long as you have it"

Where did you get that from?

bobccity
Unregistered guest
Plasma tv's are rated at 40,000-65,000 hours. The problem is that they have minor repair issues that cost an arm and a leg to repair. Plasmas are rated to last longer than a tube tv. And LCD's will NOT last "as long as you have it". They will however last about the same as a plasma. Donald does not know what he is talking about.

Silver Member

Post Number: 237
"Plasma tv's are rated at 40,000-65,000 hours..."

In advance, I know this is an 'appeal to authority' arguement, and therefore would normally be considered a dishonest debating tactic, but that isn't my intent here... My source isn't present in the discussion, so there's no way you can question his view[s] on plasma displays, yada, yada...

Without giving too much away, one of my kids works at a 'big box' electronics retailer. He sees 'returns' coming back on a daily basis. According to him, 'the problem' with plasma displays is they leak 'the gas' out of them and quit working.

To tell you the truth, I don't know that much about plasma displays, but I know they don't last 40k-60k hours (taking a mean time average of 50k hours of usage, at 5 hours per day, that would come out to over 27 years of usage), and leaking 'gas' is what kills them.

He told me plasmas aren't quite there yet, and I should wait for a while. I went the LCD rear projection route, and he went the LCD (front) projection route. We're both happy with LCD technology.

When he tells me plasmas aren't being returned to 'his' store on a daily basis, that's when I'll think about getting one...

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it! Take it for what it's worth... :-)

fx
Unregistered guest
It tickles me pink to see Vin spread such misinformation as many hold him to authority status. I am glad to see he freely admits to being a novice on plasma technology. To set the record straight, the 'leaking gas' scenario is just a myth perpetrated by big box retailers to sell extended warranties. The idea is to trick the customer that a plasma display can leak gas and thusly will be 'recharged' for free under such warranty. This is of course impossible. Each cell of a plasma is independently sealed. If such a ruse befalls you, ask the helpful salesperson to show you the 'recharging port' and watch in delight as it cannot be done since such a port exists only in their imaginations.

xvxvxvx

Silver Member

Post Number: 238
Hey, that's great! I'm sure they'll be glad to hear it.

Think about all the dead plasma TVs they're taking back for no reason...

Silver Member

Post Number: 239
Here's an interesting link...

Audio: Plasma pixel failure / Avg Life / LCD panel a good value? 6min 32sec (RealMedia format)

grfunk
Unregistered guest
How old is that interview? We have a plasma TV hanging in our lobby which we purchased in May 1999. We have it on at least 9 hours a day, 5 days a week. That's only about 14,000 hours. Now, this tv is not HD and we feed it only our NTSC signal but this thing still looks great. It is in a well lighted lobby and I still have more brightness and contrast control before it is maxed out. We are going to replace it with a HD plasma because we want to hang it and we will put the old one in another room. I know there are people that watch more than 9 hours of TV a day but we have had no problems with this Sony plasma over the six years. Never had to take it off the wall, thank God. Ever since I've been on this board, I keep going back to the lobby and really taking a hard look at this monitor and I can't find any problem with it. No dead pixels. No burn in from our bug in the corner during news casts. I own a Sony LCD right now but I may look at plasma next time. Everybody that slams plasma or LCD just hasn't has one for any length of time. I think we are a good test for a monitor or TV. We bought the same Sony LCD TV that I own to monitor our digital transmitter last month and it will get a lot more hours of use than I can put on mine so I will be intersted to see how long it lasts. I'll let you all know how long our plasma lasts too. I'll take 6 years on a tv any day but I know this puppy will last longer than that. I think people return the new TVs because they are disappointed in how they look with a SD signal. They look great with HD but SD disappoints. I just got rid of cable and I only watch the local digital signals now and although they are not HD most of the time, they do look better than cable or SAT.

Silver Member

Post Number: 241
"How old is that interview?"

9,312 hours... :-)

grfunk
Unregistered guest
Oh! I wonder how long they had their plasma TVs.

bobccity
Unregistered guest
I am totally in agreeance with "fx" on this one. It is a physical impossibility to "recharge" or "refill" a plasma TV. The gas is sealed from the factory, and there is no way to recharge it. Each plasma "cell" is individually sealed and can not be released from the casing. The only way that this would happen is if you crack the glass on the front or back by screwing around with your plasma. Ask any plasma technician (that is certified) and he/she will say the same thing i just did. The half-life(the amount of time needed to reduce the brightness of the image in half) is about 25000-30000 hours. SO to summarize, Plasmas will last longer than any tube TV out there. Burn in is no longer an issue unless you pause an image for hours at a time. Even the logos on TV stations are transparent now, so no burn in there.

That is the low-down on Plasmas.

Silver Member

Post Number: 243
LoL! Oh, please!

'fx' is the only one that mentioned recharging plasma displays. This is called a 'straw man' argument - ignoring the actual position and substituting a distorted, exaggerated or misrepresented version of that position, which is easier to attack than the original position. It's a dishonest debating tactic, but what do you expect?

Personally, any time I see an unregistered 'pest' arguing with me, in these threads, I assume it's the same assassin individual, e.g 'fx' et al, and I haven't been wrong yet. Please don't bother trying to convince me otherwise. I can spot a coward a mile away. Save the lies for your gf!

I'm saying that plasma screens don't last 65,000 hours, they are returned to retailers at an alarming rate, and 'leaking gas' is the cause.

For all I know, it might be because the gas is leaking between some of the millions of gas cells to the other millions of gas cells. Personally, I don't care! I'm not buying one... and, if you're smart, you won't buy one either! Then, again, I'm just talking to the same retard with a different nick, so screw you! :-)

If you like plasma panels, and don't mind all their problems, go for it! Ignorance is bliss!

holla back
Unregistered guest
hi,i work for consumer report and i am 16 years old...i try alot of stuff from differnet companies that i will try out and give me report to consumer reports. Well that i know alot about plasma technology, the plasma tvs dont last long on which how much they are used out. It depends on the brands also. I prefer much the Pioneer and sony and also Akai (very cheap) as my preffered plasmas. As with lcd, the technolgy is gettin better and now the life of lcds are gettin better before they came out couple of years ago.

fx
Unregistered guest
" same assassin individual, e.g 'fx' et al, and I haven't been wrong yet.?

Vin,

you have rarely if ever been correct in this forum. FWIW I've never posted in a thread under any names that did not indicate I was either xvxvxvx, formerly xvxvxvx or FX.

You are so paranoid because you have no clue. It apperas your son has no clue either if he tells you that plasma's are being returned daily for losing their gas. You are such a gullible loser Vin. Your son appears to be a chip off the old block. Is he adopted? I can't imagine a woman actually was ever willing to have your child.

Also another poster used my nom de plume for the response above. Since they are correct in their post I let it stand.

Vin anyone who challenges anything you may say has a better chance of being correct than being wrong.

xvxvxvx

Silver Member

Post Number: 979
There Vin goes again with his now infamous and discredited strawman rejoinder. It's pathetic.

Silver Member

Post Number: 244
Heh! I wondered when your 'Dale' manifestation would appear...

This must be serious stuff, folks, to all one of you!

Thinking about buying a plasma gas TV, are 'we', or did you already pull the trigger? :-)

bobccity
Unregistered guest
Vin....here is some extra credit reading for you...

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatvreviews/plasmatvpixel.html

http://www.dtvcity.com/plasmatv/plasmatv-leak.html

http://hometheater.about.com/cs/television/f/aaplasmafaq3.htm

All you have to do is go to www.google.com and type in "plasma tv recharging" and here are 3 of the links on the first page for you. You and your son do not know what you are talking about.

And the number one reason that plasma tv's are returned is that they have a shitty sdtv signal going to it. They are too cheap to get digital cable or a dish. You may want to inform your kid about this.

Why do you go around spreading your misinformation about a perfectly good tv technology? Someone needs to wake up and realize that they are wrong. The internet is full of morons like you making the world diffucult for everyone else.

In summary, keep your wrong opinions to yourself. Noone wants to constantly argue with you over something so obvious.

Silver Member

Post Number: 245
LoL! Gawd...

Look, jackballs, let it go! You need to practice your reading comprehension. I never said anything about recharging plasma TV's. I simply said the gas leaks out of them. I don't know if they leak internally or externally, but they leak. Once again, I didn't say you could recharge them. Hello?!?!?!

After doing a little investigating, I found out why plasma gas TV's fail like crazy in this state. They won't tolerate elevation, e.g. high altitude!

!!!WARNING!!! ~ COPY 'N' PASTE ~ !!!WARNING!!!

Plasma TVs at Altitude

Review Date6-3-2004
By Phil Connor
Copyright © 2004 PlasmaTVBuyingGuide.com All Rights Reserved.

Altitude has long been a factor affecting the performance of plasma monitors. The display elements of plasma units actually consist of rare natural gases (like xenon, neon, and argon), which have been compressed inside hundred of thousands of tiny glass envelopes. Ideally, the pressure these gases are under should match the pressure of the gases (N2 and O2, mostly) outside the walls of those glass envelopes. At sea level or thereabout, these two pressures are more or less equivalent, for this is the atmospheric pressure level at which most plasma panels have been calibrated. So, the thinner air at higher elevations causes an air-pressure differential-an imbalance between inner and outer air pressures-and the pressure of the gases inside the plasma display panel (PDP) increases as the outside air pressure decreases. Hence, most PDPs (at least those not specifically designed for use at or above 5500 feet) emit a slight buzzing noise under such conditions. This noise is the result of the PDP's increased power consumption and the corresponding increase in its cooling needs and, hence, its fan usage.

What are the symptoms of "altitude sickness" in plasma display panels operating at or above 6000 feet?

The short answer: You won't see much difference. Your plasma TV will look and work just like it would at or near sea level. The picture will be just as vibrant and colorful as it would anywhere else. The chief altitudinal symptom you'll detect will involve your plasma TV's operational noise levels. Because of the increased pressure on the gases contained in its glass substrate, the unit must work harder to cool this display element. So, if your TV set has fans, the fans will be significantly louder because they're running harder. If your PDP utilizes a convection cooling system (one without fans), then you'll notice something akin to a buzzing sound emanating from its rear panel. Another thing to consider with respect to altitude and plasma TV is longevity: Since PDPs work harder at higher elevations, they will not last as long up high as they do down low.

So, what does all this mean for someone living in Denver, CO, for example?

At 5295 feet, Denver lies at the cusp of what most manufacturers list as the maximum altitude at which their PDPs function "normally," i.e., quietly for about 30,000 hours. If you live in Santa Fe, NM or somewhere else that's at or above 7000 feet, consider yourself warned: Not all plasma monitors will work (well) in your area. You should definitely check out the "environmental" or "operational" conditions cited in most television user manuals. Also, some manufacturers, like Sony and NEC, have come out with special, "high-altitude" editions of their best-selling plasma displays. These sets are slightly more expensive than their sea-leveled counterparts, but the extra expense is definitely worth it.

Also, you might also note the fact that atmospheric pressure seems to differ geographically. I have anecdotal evidence of this bizarre-but-true claim in the form of telephone conversions I've had with plasma TV owners nationwide. The same TVs seem to be affected differently by different altitudes. So, for example, one person reported a considerable noise coming from his TV at 5500 feet, while another person with the same model TV reported hers working just fine at-get this-6500 feet! How can this be? I'm not certain, but one thing's for sure: Air pressure is influenced by variables other than just altitude.

If you live above, say, 6000 feet, your best bet is to go to an audio-visual appliance store, and do some investigating of your own. Figure out first hand just how well plasma TVs operate in the showroom. Listen closely to the display units. And don't forget to ask questions.

Remember, LCD and DLP displays are immune to altitudinal quirks, so you don't have to choose between your mountain home and your flat-panel TV.

Not sure what your hometown elevation is? Click here to get the figures. http://www.calle.com/world/US/

I don't know where you morons park your double-wides -- probably in a river bottom -- but my house sits atop a mountain, at an elevation of 5,256 feet above sea level. The mean elevation of this state is 4,100 feet.

Put another way, buying a plasma gas TV is NOT a good idea around these parts. If I shoveled sh!t in Louisiana for a living, like you jokers, I could probably get away with a plasma TV, but not here...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1505
That link is discount hotels, not elevation.

Anonymous

maybe i left my spectacles in my double-wide cuz i could not find any information on gas leaking out. hmm, to quote above about your altitude "This is called a 'straw man' argument - ignoring the actual position and substituting a distorted, exaggerated or misrepresented version of that position, which is easier to attack than the original position"

Silver Member

Post Number: 246
Hahaha... enough with the anonymous posts already!

Gawd! What a coward... You're not lending any credibility to your argument[s] by posting under multiple nicks/personalities. That's a fool's game!

There's only one thing I want to know -- did 'we' buy a plasma TV or not? :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 247
"That link is discount hotels, not elevation."

Maybe you missed the warning... It was a copy 'n' paste. It is what it is. I'm not responsible for anything in it.

Without parsing every word that's been posted in this thread -- after all, this isn't a 'white paper' -- I think it suffices to say, plasma displays have 'gas issues', yes? No? I think yes!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1510
Not sure what your hometown elevation is? Click here to get the figures. http://www.calle.com/world/US/

I see no warning here, or any copy and paste.

Silver Member

Post Number: 248
Somebody, just hand me a bottle of arsenic now, please...

fx
Unregistered guest
"Without parsing every word that's been posted in this thread -- after all, this isn't a 'white paper' -- I think it suffices to say, plasma displays have 'gas issues', yes? No? I think yes!"

that would be a big NO there vinster. You quit posting for a while which was good. Now you are back to your stubborn misinformation ways again. The only gas problem is between your (and your son's) ears. Please, I beg of you, stop posting useless misinformation and allow the informed posters more time to answer questions accurately rathen than wasting valuable time cleaning up after you.

xvxvxvx

Gold Member

Post Number: 1516
Somebody, just hand me a bottle of arsenic now, please...

Gladly, where do I send it?

Silver Member

Post Number: 1000
David, glad to see your sense of humor surface. Although I feel you're pretty serious about sending the stuff to Vin. If you need some financial contributors, I'm sure there's any number of us who will kick in a few bucks.

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 291
Devils advocate here Vin.... where exactly in the "copy and paste" does it mention gas leakage??? It clearly states that at high altitudes the TV has to work harder
"Hence, most PDPs (at least those not specifically designed for use at or above 5500 feet) emit a slight buzzing noise under such conditions. This noise is the result of the PDP's increased power consumption and the corresponding increase in its cooling needs and, hence, its fan usage."

Now, my reading comprehension is definately above third grade, and I reread the post 3 times to make sure I didn't accidentally skip over it....I just don't see anything to factually back up the claim the gas leaks. It was a nice article explaining why the TV buzzes at high altitudes, but nothing in the article backs up your claim. Pretend I'm from Missourri and "show me" anywhere in the copy/paste (you so eagerly provided) that I missed, that mentions gas escaping/leaking whatever. Show me the evidence you have to back this claim up, cause as for the moment it's severely lacking.

Silver Member

Post Number: 249
Okay, if you'll pardon the pun, let's attack this from a different angle. Why do *you* think plasma displays have such a bad rap?

I lurk on a lot of boards, and plasma displays are (almost) universally looked down upon. If I wanted to waste the time, I could point you to 100's (maybe 1000's) of threads knocking plasma gas technology. It's NOT just me...

Retailers take them back at an alarming rate -- salesman try to steer you in other directions -- manufacturers know there is a 'gas problem' even making special 'high elevation' models -- then there are the dead pixels -- and the burn in -- and the 'buzzing' -- and the RFI, yada, yada, yada...

I don't detect this kind of universal bias toward other types of displays. Why is that, do *you* think?

Personally, I think it's flat-panel remorse. Ppl paid a LOT of money for these things (the first ones I saw were like $12-15k) only to find out that they were junk. However, now that you can get a crappy plasma TV for $2k, ppl still have a 'hard-on' for them. Why is that? Once burned, twice aware, maybe?

Look, if I lived in a coastal city, like Long Beach, California, where I was at sea-level, and the temperature was 70 degrees year-around, I'd love to try a plasma TV. But, living at 5300 feet above sea level, where it gets above 100 degrees in summer -- there's no friggin' way. But, how many ppl know this? It isn't advertised -- it's hidden...

Manufacturers try to convince you that plasma gas TV's will last 20+ years, and I'm calling BS on that. If you want to believe their 'claims', go for it. Come back in 2030 and tell us how it's going...

Username: Plasmatvman

Post Number: 8
plasma tv prices just keep dropping and dropping.

Silver Member

Post Number: 250
Yummy! Pioneer PRO1120HD :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 251
Hrm...

You know, I was just over on that site, drooling on their Luce and Planar TVs, when I noticed they were getting $500-$900 for extended warranties.

Don't you find it rather odd that they charge so much for a 3-year warranty, considering there's nothing to service on these TVs and they're supposed to last 20+ years?

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 292
Just the facts, show support for your claims Vin. It would seem to me that if you want to silence your critics you'd be able to provide at least one document that supports your "leaking gas theory".

Silver Member

Post Number: 252
LoL! Now we got the 'OJ Defense'...

"If it doesn't fit, you must acquit."

Back on you! Provide at least one document that supports your theory that I'm wrong.

fx
Unregistered guest
You asked for it Vin. Will this shut you up though? I think not. Below is a link and my favorite quote from the article:

"Sadly, some salespeople at national retail chains have been known to tell customers not only that plasma TVs leak, but also that recharging the gas would be covered by an extended warranty! If a salesperson ever tries to sell you this line, do yourself a favor and head for the door."

This sounds like he met your son there Vin. Does your son mop floors in a Best Buy or what?

http://www.interscapesonline.com/Content/faq.html

Below is another quote and a link to Five Common Plasma Myths:

"Myth #3: Plasma TVs leak gas and require periodic "re-charging"
Fact: Every plasma TV is a completely sealed unit. In fact, it's permanently sealed when the panel is manufactured. Each individual cell in a plasma panel is sealed. So, a plasma TV will never require any refilling or recharging of its neon-xenon gas.
"

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ISEO-rmsbcspd/reviews/20030930/plasma_myths.ht ml

Ok now Vin, two credible links showing you do not know diddly squat and none showing you do (what else would we expect). Do you think no one on these forums knows how to use a search engine to debunk your lies and half-truths? You are hard to believe at times.

Again I beg of you to go back to lurking and stop posting misinformation on a subject you know nothing about.

xvxvxvx

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 294
~bowing down to fx~ Thanks for saving me the trouble.

Vin, quoting your direct post
"LoL! Now we got the 'OJ Defense'...

"If it doesn't fit, you must acquit."

Back on you! Provide at least one document that supports your theory that I'm wrong.

I never said you were wrong, practice what you preach and read. I merely stated, playing devils advocate here, to provide us with some documentation proving your statements. Since all you did was point the finger back at me and ask me to prove you wrong, I'll leave what fx found as all the proof you should need.

Thanks for the topic though, indirectly I did learn something, hence why I'm here (and hopefully to help others when I can)

Silver Member

Post Number: 253
Okay, let's see a show of hands...

How many of 'you' actually own a plasma TV?

Be honest. There's no shame in it...

fx
Unregistered guest
Is this the best you can do Vinny boy? No humility? No apology? No bogus cut and paste to defend your position? Not even one itty bitty bogus link to show you tried to bamboozle us once again? No admitting you were just rambling on about another subject you know little about? No promise to stop posting misinformation? No defending Sonny?

At least you didn't post more useless incorrect information. There is that to be thankful for Vin.

You are welcome cableguy, please keep contributing your useful information. I must admit I was surprised to see you join in this thread. I guess this proves Vin can be too much for anyone to take. :-)

xvxvxvx

Silver Member

Post Number: 254
LoL! What difference does it make?

Nobody here owns a plasma gas TV, and nobody is going to buy one either...

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 298
Vin,
The difference is people, myself included, come in here to learn something from people who reportedly know about what is being asked. The problem that I think you are missing is when you make statements about a product based on hear-say, you're not only doing the product injustice, you're misinforming the general public. I have no shame in telling somebody "I don't know", at least try to direct them to somebody who does.

Silver Member

Post Number: 255
In other words, you don't have a problem with this:

"Plasma tv's are rated at 40,000-65,000 hours."

Fine! Put your money where your 'mouth' is...

Anonymous

So what you are saying is my plasma will last 44 years as I watch 4 hours a day? Thanks. I feel much better that it will outlive me.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1005
Cableguy. You may as well give up on Vin. He'll never change. Reason doesn't generally appeal to him.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 303
Dale,

Why do you think I didn't reply to his last posting? Couldn't help but laugh at "anyonymous" though, 44 years R-I-O-T :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 256
Yes, please stop! I'm omnipotent... :-)

Sorry, but I can't play right now. I'm building a new blog -- WordPress skinned in black, so I'll be spending time there, the next few days.

Come on over, if you get lonely, all one of you... bwahahaha!

http://lenon.info

fx
Unregistered guest
"Sorry, but I can't play right now. ...so I'll be spending time there, the next few days."

Best post you have ever made here Vinster. Please take your time and do it right, do not get in a rush to return to these forums.

You should change the web address to www.lenon.badinfoguranteed

xvxvxvx
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us