Screen reslution

Username: Justink1

Post Number: 7
I have the samsung 5085w and the samsung htds1000 dvd player i am running a hdmi cable between the two and i am wondering which setting to have the dvd player on. some say 480p some say set it at 1080i, i guess i dont know which would be the best and why. when i switch it, one setting looks good for one dvd then bad for the next please help.

Username: Hd_fanatic

Boise, ID

Post Number: 10
Since the native resolution of your set is 720P, you are going to want to set the player for either 480P, or 720P. The reason being is that the fewer times that the signal is scaled, the better. If you leave it on 480P, the TV will do all the up-converting to 720P. If the DVD output is set to 720P, the DVD player is obviously doing the up-converting, and the signal passes through to the TV. Either one of these scenarios results in up-conversion only once. The thing that you will need to determine is which device does the best job of up-converting. I know that the 5085 has a pretty good scaler, so you might just be better off leaving it in 480P. This is why the up-converting DVD players do not always result in a better picture.

As far as setting it to 1080i, I wouldn't. The signal will get scaled twice, once from the player and again from the TV. This usually results in signal degradation.

The reason for why some DVD's look better than others is more than likely related to the DVD itself. Some DVD's use more compression than others. Older movies tend to look more pixelated and have more background noise than newer DVD releases. If you want a benchmark DVD, try out the Spiderman II superbit DVD.

Username: Justink1

Post Number: 8
good advice i will try that out and get that spiderman II dvd to test out what you suggest. thanks hdfanatic

KLAUSS
Unregistered guest
Screen reslution is much better with lcd projection,sony being my favorite.
view next to DLP-that is why i went LCD

KLAUSS MISH MUCK
Unregistered guest
Screen reslution is much butter with dcl projaction,phony being my flavorite.
view next to blp-that is why i went dcl

Anonymous

You're that disturbed unregistered hi-jacker!
Hey DLP4RME!/LCD4ME!/KLAUSS/MISH/MITSIBUSHY,
Sony sucks!
Don't let that screen door hit you in the face!

Retarded idiot!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us