SONY PFM-42X1

Unregistered guest
i just got a sony pfm-42x1 HDTV plasma and i'm somewhat very disappointed for the following reasons.

1) pic quality is very poor - pictures come out too "digitalized" (like watching a dvd through computer monitor)
2) It only has 3 inputs - dvi, s cable and rgb.

Issue #2 is a serious problem for me since my dvd player does not have dvi nor rgb inputs/outputs. Also i can't simply hook up my ps2 and xbox either. All i can do right now is watch my cable using s cable hook up, and perhaps explains horrible quality that I get from charter digital box. If anyone has a suggestion or knows something that i'm not doing, please let me know. for now, i wish i hadn't made the expensive purchase of sony plasma hdtv.

RGB/YUV - confused
Unregistered guest
Could i hook up RGB/YUV input on my plasma to component DVD output using a RGB/Component cable? I heard it won't be compatiable for some reason if the video source does not support components, but most dvds support components. i'm kinda lost...please help. thanks in advance.

Unregistered guest
I also just got the Sony pfm-42x1 as a replacement from Sony when my pfm-42b1 died and it requires some tweaking to get the best performance. However, the picture is excellent--the best I've seen on a plasma for DVD & HD sources. Even standard broadcast cable using the DVI input looks better than usual.

You should definitely be using component video to watch DVDs via the RGB/YUV input (input 1). You can get a special cable that is component on one end and 15-pin VGA on the other. I use it with my Sony progressive scan dvd player (NS775) and the picture is amazing.

Cable will improve significantly by switching to the DVI output (you will need to get a DVI-D cable.) If you have digital cable, you should have a DVI output, if not--call your cable company and ask them about it (or if they are going to be upgrading their boxes to Scientific Atlanta or Motorola--and there are others...)

Hope this helps!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us