Archive through May 23, 2005

Bronze Member
Username: Steve_m

Ivyland, PA USA

Post Number: 21
Dawny,
Could you please give me the phone number and extention of the person who helped you in Wayne. If you are not comfortable posting his|her number maybe you could email it to me at sbjmedlar@comcast.net.
Thanks a million.

jvc_explorer
Unregistered guest
I purchased a HD52Z585 and loved the picture, but returned it due to 1) LOUD fan, 2) not enough connections, 3) gray side bars in 4:3 mode, and 4) the HDMI connection would stop working (required a power cycle on the Dish 942DVR). I exchanged it for a Samsung hlp4663w which resolved all 4 issues, but the picture just isn't as good (in my opinion).

On the HD52Z585, I'm wondering if all units have a noisy fan (any quiet ones out there?) or if there's some kind of fix. I also heard there may have been an HDMI issue that can be resolved by a service call?

On the next generation units (are they out yet?), has the fan noise issue been resolved? Are black side bars in 4:3 mode available? I'm wondering if I should just go with the next generation of sets.

To jvc-explorer
Unregistered guest
You don't have your 4663 set up correctly. I suggest you calibrate your display using the Avia CD or Home Theater Basics CD or some DVD with THX calibration such as Ladder 49.
Remember to write down the settings because each input must be adjusted.

For now:

Contrast...90
Brightness.45
Sharpness..20
Color......44
Tint.......50...mine is disabled.

Color Tone...Normal

In Setup and Color Weakness set the green to 2 or 3.

These settings +- 2 are close.

RaveD
Unregistered guest
In my opinion the 4663 just doesn't have the same PQ as the JVC. It uses the HD3 chip which produces a softer image. The 4674 is much better in my opinion, maybe even superior to the JVC (if you can live with the rainbows).

The fan on my JVC is quite noisy. The fix is to turn up the volume and watch a lot of action movies ;)

Many HD receivers have the capaibility to up-convert SD signals to HD and insert black bars. My SA 8300HD does this, so I never have to deal with the gray bar issue. Your receiver might do the same. If not, your options would be to (1) get used to it; (2) use one of the stretch modes to fill the screen.

Username: 1red1

WA

Post Number: 1
I just bought a 585 model tv about 2 weeks ago. I think I got a good deal, I paid $2500 for the tv the stand and a 5 year service warranty. The only problem I have with the set is the "loud fan noise" It is really noticeable when I watch tv at night and have the volume down. I was thinking of maybe returning the unit and getting the sony 55"lcd but it will probably be another $500 for a comparable package. Does anybody have any comments on the sony sets and fan noise?

HD Fanatic
Unregistered guest
I have had 3 Sony's and I can honestly tell you that the fan noise was very minimal. The loudness varied slightly on each of them, the quietest was my 55" KDF-55WF655 February build. It's a bit louder right at start-up, but 30 seconds or so after the TV is on, I had to get about 2ft. from the set before I could hear it.

Things to watch out for on the Sony's, the first set I had,(KDF-55WF655) the screen would black out for a split second while watching anything connected to component video. Would only happen 3-5 times through-out a movie, but enough to take the enjoyment out.

The second set (another KDF-55WF655), the display info would pop up by itself. Not very often, maybe once every 8 hrs of viewing. Enough to be a nuisance.

The third set (a KDF-60XS955) had a stuck blue pixel smack dab in the middle of the screen. Plus, the screen-door-effect and SSE were very bothersome with this set.

All these problems are well documented among a vast number of owners of Sonys. I know that these problems may seem minor to some, and maybe I'm being too picky, but I'm really not expecting perfection. It's just that when spending over 3 grand for a TV, one should expect things to work correctly. I'm currently waiting to view the new JVC 61". Sony is also coming out with some new models, and I would like to see them also.

My advice to you, is if you are unhappy with your 52" JVC. take it back. The issues I had with my Sony's may not bother you. I'm holding out for the new models...

Username: Spoto

Post Number: 2
RaveD -- I've got the SA 8000HD STB and am wondering if you had to do anything special to the 8300 to get black side bars? Mine is set for 1080i output, but on SD programs the sidebars are grey. To be honest, I don't notice it anymore and it's not a disturbance but it might be nice to get black side bars. Not sure if it matters but my cable service is Time Warner.

Dave D
Unregistered guest
I had a JVC and took it back for fan noise and picture tilt. I bought a Sony and have been very happy. While the JVC picture is slightly better (black levels, smooth) the Sony is a much better overall package.

Username: Quazl

AR USA

Great Thread. Actaully amazing thread.

I can say that I have almost read every single post on this thread (almost). I hope that this question has not been asked or answered.

On the JVC site these are the 7 models of D-ILA's.

HD-52Z575 (52 inch Silver)
HD-61Z575 (61 inch Sliver)
HD-52Z585 (52 inch Black)
HD-61Z585 (61 inch Black)
HD-61Z886 (61 inch Black, newer model)
HD-61Z786 (61 inch Sliver, newer model)
HD-70G886 (70 inch Black, newer model)

I have compared the details of the features between the older models with the newer models. It seems that the only thing that is different is the Dual IEEE 1394 (i.Link) Connectivity. Is this a correct assumption? I have read alot about light engine repairs or replacements and light bulb replacements. Do the newer models have the correct or better light engine? I realize that getting a warranty with the light bulb replacement is a must, but my only reserve now is the light engine. The Television that i have now suffers from simailiar problems that the light engine that Mr. Lynch and other say cause bas color in the corners. It is a normal CRT, so it isn't anything like the the D-ILA, but i can say that I hate color problems. The bad image and color problems that I have on my existing set is the reason that I am buying a new TV.

Basically, my question is this: If I buy a newer model are the chances of getting the dreaded green corners lower?

This really is my only concern before I choose Between the HD-61Z575 (61 inch Silver) and the HD-61Z786 (61 inch Sliver, newer model).

Quazl

'Cuba has gun control and universal health care, so why do they clamor to come here?'

Onmitsu
Unregistered guest
Quazl,
The new sets have a cable-card slot and a high definition over-the-air tuner. They have a new 32 bit image processor, and the color management has gone from 4-point to 5-point (adding "flesh tone").
I do not think the light engine has changed. JVC has not said that it has, and the picture geometry looks the same as the old sets.
I have had a 585 and a 786. I have not seen problems with color uniformity across the screen.

Onmitsu.

p.s. The HD-61Z786 is black.

Username: Quazl

AR USA

Onmitsu,

Thanks for the reponse. That is wanted to know. I didn't do enough research. You have knocked me off the fence into the greener grass. What kind of set do you own now?

Quazl

Username: Jefff629

RE: Fan noise

I have the HD61Z575 and was bothered by the fan noise (which increases in volume as the set heats up) and the ensuing whiny tone that emanates from the front of the set. I had the front fan replaced (the exhaust fan, there are two other cooling fans), but it made no difference. I had the set sitting on top of a glass table with components on the two lower shelves. Using a sound level meter, I recorded 50dbs at 4' coming from the front of the set just from the sound of the fan. Because I like the picture so much on this JVC, I was determined to work out the fan noise issue.

First: the bulk of the egregious noise is transmitted by reverbs off the surface on which the set sits. If the set is resting on a hard surface, the noise will be amplified. I lay a 1/4" sheet of acoustic vinyl on top of the glass table and reduced the noise by about 30%. 50dbs were read inside 3'. Then, I discovered that most of the sound came from the 1/4" space between the surface of the table and the lower front edge of the JVC. The set itself rests on several small "feet" that elevate the television. I cut a 2" wide by 30" long strip of 1/4" spongy poster board (available at any art store) and placed it under the front of the television, flush with the front edge. I trimmed the front edge of the board with black electrical tape so it's virtually invisible. 50dbs can now only be read at 6". When I sit 12' from the set now, I can barely hear the fan noise and the whiny tone is completely gone. If you read the JVC site carefully, they make a point of stating the the surface on which the set rests determines the volume of the fan noise (e.g. harder surface = more noise).

My advice is to simply buy the $5 piece of poster board, tape the edge with a dark color, and slide it under the front edge of the set to block the space between the table surface and the bottom of the television. The sound eminating from the front surface of the television is minimal and won't bother the viewer from 12'.

The quality of the picture on these sets - the closest to film on any rear-projection HD - is worth keeping

RaveD
Unregistered guest
Jeff -- great post on reducing fan noise. Questions:

- Where can you get acoustic vinyl?

- By placing the poster board under the front of the TV doesn't it change the viewing angle? Or are you suggesting that it fits in the space already there due to the feet?

- Do you think either of these measures might reduce airflow around the TV and cause more heat buildup within the set?

RaveD
Unregistered guest
Sam -- On the 8300HD, have you run the HD setup wizard and restricted the output to 1080i only? If so then the 8300HD should be generating the bars on SD material.

The 8300HD is capable of generating gray or black bars. There is another setting in there (I can't recall the exact name) which you can set to "Dark", "Medium", or "Light". Setting it to dark will produce black sidebars.

Username: Bigguylow

Alameda, CA USA

Post Number: 3
Jeff, if possible, could you post a pic of your setup with the soundproofing.
Thanks.

Onmitsu
Unregistered guest
Quazl,
I had the 585 for four weeks, and then I swapped it for the 786. I have had the 786 for about four weeks. My local store did a no charge swap, so I got my 786 for what I paid for the 585 :-)
I have been very happy with both sets, and have no plans on changing any time soon.

Onmitsu.

IB2S
Unregistered guest
Hi Everyone,
Great forum.
I recently purchased a 52" 575 Dec. build.
When I turn off the TV 3 senarios occur:
1. TV shuts off and cooling fan stays on for 90 seconds and the blue power light goes off. I assume this is the norm.
2. TV shuts off, cooling fan goes off and light goes off. This is probably bad, but it hasn't happened often.
3. TV shuts off, cooling fan stays on for 90 seconds and the blue power light stays on. This has happened several times.
Can anyone in this brillant forum enlighten me?
Thanks in advance!

RaveD
Unregistered guest
The norm is #3. Mine does it every time.

Are you sure the AC power is not interrupted?

IB2S
Unregistered guest
RaveD -
You mean your blue power light is on all the time even when your TV is powered off?
In my senario #3 everything on the TV is off except the blue power light and the orange lamp light above the power button.
In my senario #1 the lights are on only as long as the cooling fan is on.
I am positive the AC power is not interrupted.
Thanks for your quick response.

RaveD
Unregistered guest
I guess I misunderstood. Then scenario #1 is normal; the power light and LED stay on while the TV cools off, then everything shuts off.

Also, I have the power light set to LOW, and when the TV is turned off, it goes to HIGH during the cooldown period.

Anonymous

Yes, that's the normal shut-off sequence.

Derfinot
Unregistered guest
I recently ordered a HD-61Z575 from Costco about 3 weeks ago. I checked last week and Costco no longer carries the 61" model anymore. I received my set yesterday and to my suprise it was the HD-61Z886 with a April 2005 build date. I wonder if Costco oversold the older model and had to replace the orders with the newer model. In any event I am very happy, out of the box the picture looks amazing. Thanks to everyone on this board for the recomendations

HD Fanatic
Unregistered guest
Derfinot,

DAMMIT! You lucky dog!

If somehow I could have known, I would have placed my order.

You got one heck of a deal.

Username: Jefff629

To RaveD and Bob Low -

RE: fan noise

I live in Southern California where material like acoustic vinyl is easier to get than most places (due to the number of recording and post-production studios). The truth is, almost any thin sheet of soft vinyl or even 1/8" foam rubber would do. I purchased mine (and it's pretty expensive) from Steve Klein (available on the internet most likely) in N. Hollywood (http://www.soundcontrolroom.com/facts.htm). The sheet is about 6" wider (on all sides) than the footprint of the television.

I cut the sheet of 1/4" insulated poster board to 30". The set is actually about 34" wide at its base. The 2" on either side allows for the feet to sit on the table, not the poster board. I lifted each side of the set to insert the poster board under the set's front edge. The set rests perfectly level and is not elevated by the 1/4" board. All the board does is seal the front space under the television so no sound resonates from below the set and out toward the viewing area.

I failed to mention (although I believe this has little effect) that I mounted a 2'X4' acoustic sound board (also from Steven Klein) on the wall behind the set. I wanted to ensure that no sound emanating from the rear fans would bounce off the wall.

The JVC discharges no heat from beneath the television. All out ports are at the rear of the set. As long as you leave about 3" between the rear of the set and the wall, it should vent perfectly.

I will post a photo of the set up soon. It's actually easier to describe than to display in a photo, because the poster board, as I've placed it, is almost invisible.

I am considering, because I've become obsessive about eliminating all noise from the fans, building a panel lined with acoustic foam and cut to the contour of the front of the television to allow for the curved power panel (the blue power light and red LED). I don't use the JVC's speakers and know that if I put a facing in the front of the set, I can totally kill the noise - slight as it is now - coming from the fan. If I finish it in black lacquer, it'll look really nice. But, until it rains for about three days straight, I think I'll wait. There are better things to do. Like actually WATCHING the JVC.

Hope this helps.

buddha
Unregistered guest
I just bought the 575 from best buy and it will get delivered next week. One reason I bought this type of TV was to avoid burn in. I was just looking at the product manual on JVC's website, and it has a warning about burn in. Is that just kind of a legal CYA thing, or is it actually a problem with these TVs. Everything I read and the guys at best buy (who were very helpful) said these TVs don't have burn in problems.

Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 730
Buddha-

Back when I bought my set last August, we had a big discussion on it. I contacted JVC and they said the Dila sets do NOT suffer from burn-in. The manual is an edited version of the rear-projection CRT one and they accidentally left the burn-in warning. You can ignore it. I've played hours of Halo/Halo 2 with no signs of burn-in, and I watch SD in 4:3 with black bars with out any issues either.

I've probably had my JVC set longer than most forum users, put thousands of hours on my set, and I can tell you from experience that the TV will not burn-in.

Bronze Member
Username: Douga

Post Number: 45
buddha, JVC has confirmed that there is no burn in with this set*. It is either a misprint or a CYA as you stated.

*JVC does mention the possibility of a temporary burn-in situation where the image may appear to be burned-in for a very small amount of time. If the tv is shut off or the static image on the set is changed (i.e. change channels), the temporary burn in is gone. In other words, there is no permanent burn-in problem.

buddha
Unregistered guest
Mr. Lynch and Mr. Ardy,

Thanks for the info! I am really looking foward to getting this TV. Like you Mr. Lynch, I am looking forward to playing Halo2 in widescreen HD.

Any other advice you guys have to a new owner of this TV? I went ahead and bought the bestbuy service plan. I'm going to be hooking my xbox, ps2 (new one with progessive scan DVD player), and SD satelitte receiver with s-video up to it. Waiting to get HD until DirectTV gets the MPEG-4 stuff ready. And I got a yamaha home theater in a box setup to hook up to it as well.

Thanks!

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 733
buddha-

The s-video connection is probably going to look like crap, so don't expect too much.

I'd recommend picking a disc like DVE or AVIA and to correct any brightness and color issues the set may have. The JVCs default settings are overly bright and vivid. It looks great in a really bright showroom, but when you get it home it will most lilely need to be toned down a bit. After a week or two of viewing your new set, you will might start to noticing minor issues with your TV. Wait to make adjustment then. You might really enjoy the default settings so why mess with it.

Also go into the user menu and turn off all the "enhancements" like "Dynamic gamma", "color management", "digital noise reduction". They seem hurt the picture more than they help.

For the Xbox you should pick up the HD pack. It comes with Component cables (they work great) and only cost $20. That way you can enjoy your Xbox in true widescreen 480p/720p. Amped 2 is a personal favorate of mine to show off the TV. The 720p graphics are amazingly crisp and clear.

buddha
Unregistered guest
Mr. Lynch,

Thanks for the tips! I already picked up the HD cables - really looking forward to trying it out.

Can you get those kind of disks at a place like best buy, or do you need to order them from somewhere special? I would imagine those would most likely eliminate the need for professional calibration?

Thanks again!

Bronze Member
Username: Ruffwood

Post Number: 13
I have enjoyed my JVC 61Z575 since February and have tweaked the color settings for a few weeks using DVE and Mr.Lynch's settings. Thanks Mr. Lynch

Then I was tweaking my Surround Sound system for a couple of weeks, and now its on to fan noise reduction. Will it ever end?

Thanks for the tips, Jeff F

Also, Walmart has Black 1/4" poster board. They also have green, yellow Etc. If anyone wants to get creative.

Bronze Member
Username: Ruffwood

Post Number: 14
Anyone have any HomeDepot/Lowes light fixture suggestions for backlighting a 61Z575?

Bronze Member
Username: Mr_sparks

Ca Usa

Post Number: 75
"Bud - Can you get those kind of disks (DVE) at a place like best buy, or do you need to order them from somewhere special?"

Here's the web site for Digital Video Essentials DVD:
http://www.videoessentials.com/

You'll most likely need to buy it online.

It's a very helpful disk for basic's like brightness, color, detail and such.

Klaus
Unregistered guest
Buddha:
Before plunking down the dough for the DVE or AVia disks, look to see if you have any with the THX optimizer program on them. These will be Star Wars Episode 2, etc. You may find that setting up with this device is totally acceptable. I have also found that if your set has multiple picture modes (dynamic, standard, cinema) which are independently adjustable it works well to use them as optimized modes for Standard definition TV, DVD, and High Def programming. Using Dynamic I have SD quality that is very good, better than CRTrp sets, Standard is set up for optimized HD content, and Cinema is optimized for dvd. The set is a Samsung DLP but most sets have a similar setup.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 735
I've seen DVE and AVIA at several stores around the Seattle area. Best Buy, Fry's and Suncoast all carry it. Avia is $50, DVE can be found for $20-$25.

The THX optimiser works really good, but having a blue filter will increase the acurracy of your adjustments. DVE comes with a blue, red and green filter.

On my JVC I setup each of the color modes for different types of viewing.
"Standard" was fine tuned to Standard def signals
"Dynamic" was adjusted for HD content
"Theater" for DVDs
"game" for my Xbox.

buddha
Unregistered guest
Actually, I do have Episode II on DVD. I'll have to give that one a try first. Of course, I'm sure anything will be better than what I'm used to. I have a 10 year old magnavox 32". Although I do have to say it has held up very nicely and has a good picture, especially with directv SD.

Thanks for the advice! I'm so glad I stumbled on this website while doing a google search!

Username: Ccorcoran

Any tips... trying to avoid vertical sidebars when watching with HD channels (thru Comcast and Motorola STB). Some HD channels default to widescreen "full" while others post black sidebars and thereafter require aspect changes (HD Panarama or Cinema Zoom) to get widescreen. When possible, would like "full" by default. Is there a way to setup the Motorola STB or change setting on my JVC 52 ?

Post Number: 4
Also, Mr Sparks... I purchased my JVC 52 via Costco. Could you reply to the specifics of the "value added" gained from a JVC purchase thru Costco as compared to typical internet options. Is it possible to upgrade my JVC when newer JVC options become available.

Username: Motliek

IN USA

Post Number: 9
Good Eve,
Well 4 months to the day and my stinkin lamp blew. JVC is of course going to overnight one to me on Monday , due Tue or Wed. Now I get to watch the Survivor Finale on a lovely 19". Sweeeeet. Should have put 2+2 together as I adjusted the brightness most of the week. Aside from this still love the set!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Dan_furlong

Texas USA

Post Number: 40
I have an extra brand new bulb from JVC just incase of a blow out.
I have recently returned my JVC for another brand. If anyone would like to buy it, make a reasonable offer.
danfurlong@netzero.com

Username: Dapercy

Just called an Ultimate Electronics that is going out of business and asked if they had any D-ILAs and the salesman told me that they have been recalled for catching on fire? I think he may have been trying to direct me to his remaining Samsung inventory.

Can anyone confirm this. It didn't sound too far fetched with the overheating problems discussed on this thread.

Bronze Member
Username: Sailbyte

Post Number: 46
David:

Some D-ILAs have been recalled due to a potential fire problem. This has been handled very nicely by JVC with a very quick in-home repair that involves a quick part swap.

I have no idea what the issue with that particular vendor may be -- but I love my JVC.

Bronze Member
Username: Mrtomasulo

Post Number: 41
Mr. Lynch-- I just picked up a Toshiba 5980 dvd player and was just curious what setting you play most of your movies at (480p, 720p, or 1040i)?

Also to anyone, what's the qualitative difference between 720p and 1040i? Is 1040i supposed to be better?

Klaus
Unregistered guest
Mister T. The difference between 720 P and 1040i will be in most cases less afactor than the "actual" resolution of the program material. If you check out the different HD sources you will see a great variation in quality . Even going back to the old 480i analog system, most picture resolution was considerably less than 480 lines, as low as 200 on some vcrs. 720 P should theoretically yield a smoother picture since each pass paints an entire frame. The 1080i would theoretically yield a slightly more detailed picture due to the extra lines, however they are painted 520 lines per pass. Real world signal differences will create much greater differences than the native resolution

Bronze Member
Username: Mr_sparks

Ca Usa

Post Number: 76
CRAIG - "Also, Mr Sparks... I purchased my JVC 52 via Costco. Could you reply to the specifics of the "value added" gained from a JVC purchase thru Costco as compared to typical internet options."

I like to buy from costco because, if the item breaks or fails to satisfy me, I can simply return it for a full refund, for as long as I am a member.

I, personally would not buy a big ticket item from most of the internet companies, because once you take delivery, they will not give you service.

Just how I like to buy ...

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 737
Mr. T-

The Toshiba scaler is about equal to the one built into the JVC so setting the DVD player at 480p or 720p will result in about the same PQ. 1080i adds a few artifacts and I would not recommend using that setting with the JVC. The biggest gain you get with using the Toshiba DVD player is from the HDMI output. It definitely provides a much cleaner signal than component cables. small lines and text are rock solid, and some DVDs that show a little bit of color banding with component look smoother and sharper with the HDMI. Months ago I posted some pictures of "Finding Nemo" that showed the difference. I'll see if I can dig them up again.

David-

The recall was more of an "upgrade" according to JVC. It was a small board that was swapped out. It only affected pre-Nov models and the fix was done in about 15 minutes on my set.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
Thanks Klaus and Mr. L.

Mr. L-- I was glad to find that I did notice the difference with the HDMI cable, too. My girlfriend, who thinks I'm goofy when I talk about the different connections and their quality, even admitted she saw the difference. Glad I bought it. And now I don't have to unhook the Gamecube back and forth when I want to watch a movie. Also, we had both agreed that it didn't look quite as good at 1040i and I'm glad to hear it wasn't just us.

Bronze Member

Texas USA

Post Number: 41
Mr. Lynch
Can you recommend a place where I can get a high quality HDMIm to HDMIm cable?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 741
Dan-

My Toshiba DVD player came with a HDMI cable. When moving things around a few weeks ago I damaged my HDMI cable and I replaced it with this one:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10399698&loc=101&hdwt=22225&sp=1

It is made by Belkin and sold under the name PureAV. Compusa and a few other stores sell it for $99-$120. If you shop online around you can find it around $50-$60. I've had excellent results with it and the quality is right up there with Monster cable, but at 1/2 the price.

for HDMI to HDMI
8ft length: Part number av52300-08
4ft length: Part number av52300-04

For DVI to HDMI
8ft length: Part number av52400-08
4ft length: Part number av52400-04

Bronze Member

Texas USA

Post Number: 42
Mr. Lynch
I found this but being so inexpensive I don't know what kind of quality it is.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10231&cs_id=1023102 &p_id=2019&seq=1&format=2&style=

What's your opinion?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 742
Dan-

Thats a great deal. At $10 with shipping, it is definitely worth checking out. The original HDMI cable that came with my Toshiba DVD was probably the cheapest quality cable around and it gave an outstanding picture.

I might pick one of the cables you posted as a backup. It couldn't be any worse than the OEM cable Toshiba provides and like I said, it did a great job (R.I.P.).

Post Number: 5
Is it just a part of HD life to see some HD programing in "full" widescreen while seeing other HD programming with vertical black bars?
ESPN is a great example of HD material bouncing from full widescreen events to vertical bar events (understanding that commercials are different). Anything I can do?

As for HDMI DVD players... while the Toshiba may serve as the best value, you gotta check out the Sony DVPNS975V - which is stunning! Cost aside, it is incredible with SACD thrown in. I use the Belkin PureAV for the connection -- gaining the best quotes from pricegrabber.com (something near $56 bucks).

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Craig,

What they broadcast is what you get. If they are broadcasting in 4:3 format, you will get the bars. If it is in true HD at 16:9, you will not have the bars. So, bottom line, you are at the mercy of the broadcaster. Also, be aware that just because you are on a HD channel, the programming isn't necessarily HD.

If you are watching something in 4:3, you can obviously use a different aspect ratio to fill the screen.

Alameda, CA USA

I accessed the setup menu in the Motorola STB 6412. I have several options, 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i & 1080p. I use the DVI input. What is the recommended setting for the JVC52Z585 set. Still tweaking PQ.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 744
Bob-

I have my Motorola STB set at 720p to match the sets native resolution.

If you turn the 4:3 override to "off" you will also get black side bars with 4:3 content instead of the JVCs gray.

The only problem with setting the 4:3 override to "off" is that all signals will be scalled to 720p by the STB, and you will lose the ability to use the SD stretch modes like "full". You will have to use the HD stretch modes which have less options. If your like me and like to watch 4:3 with the side bars, this is the way to go.

Alameda, CA USA

Thanks Mr. Lynch. You've been very helpful.

Bronze Member
Username: Nuclearfish

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 55
Anyone been getting information from the E3 gaming expo?

XBOX 360 will be out for Xmas, and EVERY game will be 720p minimum...

Username: Motliek

IN USA

Post Number: 10
That looks pretty nice though I shall be holding out for the PS3.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 745
Just get both.

Alameda, CA USA

Post Number: 6
Mr. Lynch, you're right the 720p setting is better than 1080i. Tried 480p, just ok, so went back to setting of 'off' for override on 480.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
Heard PS3 specs include HDMI output. Not sure if same is true for 360.

Bronze Member

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 56
PS3 is dual hdmi output with web browser, so you could play on one HD display while surfing/chatting/etc. on the other.. or you can go panorama on the game you're playing.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 746
PAC-2000 just lowered their prices again. Pickup a 2nd one for the bedroom!

HD52z575- $1804
HD52z585- $1899
HD61z575- $2309
HD61z585- $2314
HD61z786/886- $2725
HD70g886- $3984

HD Fanatic
Unregistered guest
Here's a recent article on the PS3. 1080P at 60 fps with blu-ray disc format. It's going to be awesome on a big-screen!

http://leenks.com/link15495.htm

buddha
Unregistered guest
Guys,

Just got my JVC today! I've been trying to get rid of the black bars with DVDs, but I saw Mr. Lynch's response to someone earlier about it being normal. We're watching Top Gun right now and the black bars are pretty big. We watched a bit of SW Episode II earlier and the bars were smaller. Is this the normal behavior? If so, anybody know of any DVDs that will fill the full screen so I can see what it looks like?

Also, I assume when I watch 16:9 HD it will fill the full screen? I did manage to get my Halo2 to take up the full screen.

Thanks!

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
buddha,

You need to look at the technical specifics for each DVD. If it's anamorphic it will fill the screen. If it's, I think, 2.35:1 then it will fill a 16:9 screen. But, there is a specific ratio that works for a full 16:9 screen. If you look through the thread (both very early and just a page or two back) there is a link to a document that explains what you're looking for in DVDs for optimal viewing.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 747
buddha-

This might explain things a little better.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/aspectratios/widescreenorama.h tml

I believe the last anamophic movie I watched was "Cheaper by the Dozen". It filled the entire screen. Most action films (Star wars, Matrix, etc.) are shot in 2.35 to 1, so you will get black bars when displayed on your widescreen 16:9 (1.78 to 1) no matter what.

All movies I've watched on HBOHD have filled the entire screen.

HD Fanatic
Unregistered guest
Shrek 2 is 1.78:1 and it fills up the entire screen. I have a few others that fill the screen as well.

1.78:1 = 16:9, they are one in the same.

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
HD Fanatic,

Thanks I couldn't remember what ratio (besides anamorphic) filled the screen. I guess I could have done the math (16/9 = 1.78). Not thinking this morning.

Alameda, CA USA

Post Number: 7
Does anyone know the remote codes for the Motorola STB 6412 or the JVC HD-52Z585 that can be inputed into either remote.

Also when I turn initially turn the TV and STB on using the DVI input, 2 screens appear, but when I switch channels the multiple images disappear. What's happening?

Username: Mthom

I have to say that this is a very informative board!

I'm in the market and have been looking at this JVC for a while. This board has convinced me that this is the next TV for me. The only thing I have to decide on is whether it is worth an extra $500 to get the 61z786 or save the money and get the 61z575. I've read the differences here, the 5-point color management and the 32-bit CPU, but in your opinion, is the result worth $500 more?

Username: Dapercy

Same question as Michael above and is there any lag with video game systems for the JVC. Thanks for your answers in advance.

HD Fanatic
Unregistered guest
I have never heard of anyone experiencing lag with the JVC. As far as getting the new model, remember it also has a built-in tuner. That may not be a big deal to you if you are planning on hooking up satellite or cable, but from what I have read, mostly on the AVS forum, the new models are worth the extra money.

But it's your call. There are definately some good deals to be had on the 61z786.

Chazno
Unregistered guest
Heres a list of changes between new and old.

- Better looking cabinet design
- 2 firewire ports
- Cablecard slot
- HDTV tuner
- VGA Input
- Slight improvements in picture
- hopefully improvements on the old model's "issues"

Pretty good value for $500.00

buddha
Unregistered guest
Guys,

Thanks for the info on the widescreen stuff!

Another question about my new JVC. When I turn it on, for the first couple of minutes everything has a very blue tint to it. Then sometimes it turns to a yellowish tint for a bit. Then everything is normal. Is this normal behavior, or do I have a problem?

Thanks!

buddha
Unregistered guest
FYI, Mr Lynch was right - S-Video looks pretty crappy on my JVC. I am using a plain old generic S-video cable. Would upgrading to a Monster s-video cable make a significant difference? I bought one but didn't take it out of the box as I found I already had the other one. Figured I would just return it, but if you guys think it will make a significant difference in picture quality then I'll try it. I plan on not needing it once DirecTV comes out with their MPEG4 stuff.

Thanks again, as usual!

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 750
Buddha-

When you first turn on the set it will look off. The lamp needs about 90 seconds to warm up an display an accurate picture. It is normal part of all rear projection fixed pixel displays.

The Monster cable won't make much of a difference. S-video in limited in bandwidth and can only display 480i resolution. You will need to upgrade STB with Component, DVI or HDMI output to notice an inprovement. If you plan on waiting for the new DTV, I guess you'll just have to deal with the picture for now.

Thanks guys. Since I'll be using DirecTV, I won't take advantage of the built-in tuner, but I think the other improvements will be worth the extra dough ... plus you can never have enough inputs and outputs, that's always been my need for upgrading.

Quick question regarding my setup ... does anyone with the 61" know the exact dimensions of the base. My space is a perfect fit for the width of the set, I just want to make sure my entertainment center top is wide enough for the base. Thanks!

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 752
Michael:

This is from the JVC site:
The bottom part of the set which is in contact with a shelf or stand is 34 1/8 wide by 15 1/2 deep. It is shaped as a rectangle with cut rear corners.

Username: Spoto

Base: 34 1/8 wide by 15 1/2 deep

These are the figures for both the 52 and 61 inch 5x5 series. Not sure if their the same for the newer models.

parts unknown
Unregistered guest
Michael:

On the 61Z886 the base is 34 3/8 wide by 15 1/2 deep

I can email you the jvc spec sheet .pdf file if you want

Thanks. That's the info I needed. I actually checked out a pic with my stand on Mr. Lynch's other thread referenced near the beginning of this page. Looks like it will work.

I currently don't have HD on my DirecTV, and really want to wait until they produce a DirecTV HD DVR with DVD recorder ... anybody heard of anything like this coming out soon?

Username: Bobsacameno

Post Number: 6
I'm wondering whether some of you have seen the problem of a picture "pixelating" (i.e. the picture "breaks apart" into squares and rectangles"). I have a Toshiba SD5970 hooked up to my JVC directly thru HDMI. It doesn't happen on every DVD nor on every "fast moving" sequence. I'm wondering whether it's something with the DVD player, TV or just the DVD itself. I don't have HD programming so this is only for DVD viewing

Thanks.

Kerry M
Unregistered guest
Re: DILA 61"

Does anyone notice slight distortion at times when watching basketball in HD? I notice the distortion when the view is more a close up rather than the standrad camera view. I would appreciate any feedback.

Kerry M
Unregistered guest
Re: DILA 61"

Does anyone notice slight distortion at times when watching basketball in HD? I notice the distortion when the view is more a close up rather than the standrad camera view. I would appreciate any feedback.

Kerry M
Unregistered guest
John,
I think we are having the same issue only I have the pixelating when I am watching HD programming. I have the same DVD player hooked up via HDMI and I am not seeing any "pixelating". Anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

buddha
Unregistered guest
Mr. Lynch,

By looking "off" for the first bit after turning it on, do you mean it looks like it is displaying nothing or it looks strange? For the first 3 or 4 minutes everything has a blue tint, followed by a few seconds of yellow tint, and then it looks normal.

Thanks!

buddha
Unregistered guest
Tonight the yellowish tint came back after having the TV on 10 or 15 minutes. It stayed for awhile. Didn't go away until I turned the TV off and back on again (after the usual start up blue tint followed by yellow tint). It has been ok since then. Any idea on what kind of problem I might be having here? Any recalls or anything for this TV? I did look on the back and it was built in Dec 04.

Thanks again!

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
buddah,

It may be a bulb going out.

RaveD
Unregistered guest
Pixelation on HD broadcasts is unfortunately common, especially during fast action.

Most networks compress the HD signal. What you're seeing is MPEG artifacts.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 753
RaveD is correct. Some DVDs do show some compression pixelation. Same with HD broadcasts. Broadcasters are limited by the FCC to 20mbps of bandwidth. This means that both 1080i and 720p signals are compressed 40-50 times their original size. Channels that are exclusive HD like Discovery HD and INHD use the full bandwidth and look better than networks that broadcast both a SD and an HD signal. The SD signal takes up about 3mbps, so the HD signal must be compressed down to under 17mbps. The causes the artifacts and "pixelation you see. A true uncompressed HD signal is unbelieve to see. Maybe once Blueray/HD DVD come out we can truely experience what our sets can do.

Buddha-

When You first power on your set, the picture should be dull and blushish are up to 3 minutes at the most. Yellowish problems might signal some other issues. It should never happen after the first 2 to 3 minutes. I'd recommend emailing JVC and seing what they say.

Post Number: 8
An update on the pixelation issue on my DVDs (not HD broadcast)... I took the same DVD (Bourne Supremacy WS) over to my Dad's who has EXACTLY the same setup as I do (5970 to JVC via HDMI). Went to the same scenes where I was seeing problem on my setup - Yet NO PROBLEM on his.

A bit disappointed especially after all the positive reviews I've read on the 5970 (and I didn't have a whole lot of probelm on the responsiveness of the remote either) I'm going to return this. Not sure now whether to hope the 5980 fixes this or the S97S which seems to be very popular (given that it's sold out at most of the online retailers)...

Anyone has a particular bias?

Username: Klaus

Holiday, FL USA

John:
As a final test, would your dad let you borrow his DVD player to see if it gives the same problem, just to see if it is TV or cable related.

If the dvd player is the problem, I would suggest the Panasonic E55 dvd recorder. I have one hooked to my 46 inch Samsung and the picture is phenominal via component cables, and you have the added bonus of dvd burning.

RaveD
Unregistered guest
John,

In this case what you are likely seeing is macroblocking. The S97S will probably be worse.

Many DVDs have macroblocking which is a compression artifact. CRTs and analog inputs (including component inputs) have a natural smoothing effect due to the digital-to-analog conversion and other signal processing. JVC's HDMI input passes the pristine digital signal from the DVD player. So, if the DVD is highly compressed, you will see this "macroblocking."

It seems the JVC's HDMI input is more sensative to this than other TVs, though I'm not sure why.

Have you calibrated your JVC with DVE or AVIA? Proper calibration reduces the macroblocking, but does not eliminate it. It's not the fault of the TV or the DVD player, but the DVD content itself.

Well, unfortunately I just realized that I'm in the same boat as buddha and only have S-video on my DirecTV/Tivo receiver. And to make matters worse my circa 1997 RCA DVD player doesn't have component video either. Of course, upgrading is the obvious solution, but that involves convincing the wife of the additional purchases ($800 for HD DirecTV/Tivo plus $150 for a DVD player).

Mr. Lynch / buddha - how bad is "crappy" for the s-video picture? Worse than the standard TV's? Any pictures showing the comparison?

Bronze Member

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 57
s-video looks like a mediocre VHS recording

HD signal looks like a photograph

what about compared to s-video on a standard TV? Will it look worse than that? Like buddha I'd prefer to wait for DTV's MPEG4 equipment, so I can retain TIVO.

buddha
Unregistered guest
Michael,

My standard 32" TV doesn't have S-video, only composite and coax, so I don't really have anything to compare it to. I guess it is not bad. The other night I was watching the race and went upstairs to compare it to our little 19". I wouldn't say the picture was really much better on the 19", but the imperfections are more noticeable on the bigger TV, I think.

I think what it is is this TV really wants a quality input. For example, we put "Toy Story" into our PS2 Dwith progressive scan (the little skinny one) and the picture was phenomenal. Better than anything I've ever seen by far. Halo2 also looks really good, especially if you zoom in on an alien with a sniper rifle scope.

Right now I keep debating whether or not I want to go ahead and get cable, or wait for the new direcTV stuff. I am inclined to wait for direcTV as I have heard they may have over 100 HD channels within a year or two, but I haven't really seen anything to confirm this - anybody know?

Post Number: 9
RaveD, Klaus

I "isolated" the DVD by taking the DVD itself over to my Dad's. I figured that since this was from NetFlix,the surface/scratches may be an issue here. He also has a 52Z575/5970 set-up (granted that we bought it from different places and interestingly enough, his 5970 has the "remote not responding problem" yet mine seem to be fine). Anyways, with the same DVD, there are essentially no problems with his setup (i.e. the scenes that gave me trouble were fine on his setup) There was one scene where I caught a bit of pixelation but when I went back and re-played it again, it was fine. Neither of the JVC's been calibrated (with DVE or AVIA)

Doesn't this point to the 5970 as the source of the problem? I guess I have to do a bit more research on macroblocking.. It's unsettling to hear that the S97S may be worse...

Bronze Member

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 58
Guys, you can get cable until your satellite has what you want.

It's a month-by month payment plan with the cable company.

If you can have HD in your home today, you should do it.

This TV just eats it up.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us