DENON 2200 and problems with -R / +R disks

Username: Stavrosh

Post Number: 1
I have been testing a DENON DVR-2200 with various media formats in order to compare it with 2900. The player is OK with most of them (CD, MP3, CDR, SACD) but shows a quite UNSTABLE behavior with DVD-R and DVD +R disks (Verbatim) recorded with Toast 6. The player has been made region-free by using the appropriate firmware, but the compatibility problems remain. As testing -R / +R material we have used copies of commercial DVDs (we own) , which are quite readable on PCs, Macs and other DVD players (DENON 2800, Panasonic R30). I wonder if any of you have faced or heard of similar problems. Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 64
i have just recently purchased the 2200 and have
problems playing +R dvd's but -R dvd's seem to
work fine.

i was hoping this player would play both as my
old toshiba would not.

were would one get a firmware upgrade for this system and how does the update go on this unit?

Post Number: 2
After some checking with various bulletin boards , and DENON sites I found out that there are DVR-2200 models with "different" versions of firmware. Different in this context means with "more" or "less" bugs. I was lucky that the THIRD 2200 unit I tested was able to read both +R and -R disks.
Regarding the region-free update firmware (basically to read Region 1 disks) I am quite skeptical. The TV image I am getting (testing for example the MATRIX) is quite noisy and it is a pitty to have this quality in a unit that costs that much.

Bronze Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 66
i think the video on mine is incredable i have
compared it with a friend who has 2 pioneer elite
models that he has paid a lot more for and the
video on mine is slighty better.

that is interesting you tested 3 models then you
finally got one that plays burnt disks correctly?

i want one darnit!

anyways keep in mind the matrix has a funky green
grainy film to it done on purpose!

Post Number: 3
I have tested 3 units because the first could not read +R, -R and the second -R. Most other audio formats were reproduced. I did not try RW disks. For the NTSC playback (using PAL and having more resolution we can see more artifacts) there are few disks I can experiment with, because in ourdays everything comes out in Region 2 as well. What was your visual evaluation of the Marix disk ?

Bronze Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 67
i am probably a little different than a lot of
people and i am not a big fan of these strange
ways of making the film look.

i prefer the clean clear as good as you can make it look films.

so no i do not like the look of the matrix.i do
understand that is how they wanted to look but i
just don't really like it.

some of the ones i do like would be toy story ,
the fifth element and gladiator those are just
a few that come to mind.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us