Sony KDF55xs955 or HLR5667W?

Undiceded and ready to buy
Unregistered guest
HELP!!! I have been researching the Sony KDF55xs955 and Samsung HLR5667W for a couple of months and I just can't decide which is the better tv for me. The Sony seems to have a sharper and brighter picture, but the Samsung has better blacks. This will be a TV that I'll keep for a long time so dependability is important as well. My main use for the TV will be watching DVD's and satellite with little over-the-air HD as well. Lighting in the room can be controlled fairly well so refelctions will not be a problem. When I see these TV's at CC, BB or Tweeters I seem to like the Sony just a little more, but the TV's are in a brightly lit area and I can't tell if the lower black level of the Sony would bother me in a home theater enviorment(dim lighting). Can anyone give me some thoughts or reasons on one versus the other? Thanks

ogbuehi
Unregistered guest
The sony as I've heard tends to handle blacks a bit less than dlp. I'd seen so many bad posts about dlp's (especially samsung models) that it scared me away. I was about to buy a samsung my self until I read all these scary threads about samsung dlp's. In the end I went with the 60xs955 because of connectivity and my inability to control the lighting during the day. The sony did look sharper to me and played upconverted dvd's amazingly well. I will take my xbox to cc or bb and hook it up and play some games and watch some movies to confirm and then I probably will get it very soon.

Bronze Member
Username: Klaus

Holiday, FL USA

Post Number: 61
og:
The new HLRXX67 series appear to have solved the gaming issues. Several posts seem to confirm this.

Undecided
Unregistered guest
og:
I would be interested to know what you think after trying the xbox and dvds. Try to play a dvd with bars on top and bottom and see if the black bars are more grey than black. I think that would bother me more than just about anything else.

ogbuehi
Unregistered guest
I think that would be a good way to test the black level as far as the "consumer eye" is concerned. The gaming issues were just one of several complaints I've heard about samsung sets. The biggest thing I worry about is the rainbow effect that dlp's produce. The screen door effect is noticable to me on lcd's only if I'm right up on the screen. I don't plan on being that close to a 60in screen.

Undecided
Unregistered guest
OG:
Have you heard of or seen the problems I've read about with LCD's in regards to fast moving sceens? I read that this is a problem for the LCD's and that the screen gets pixilated.

ogbuehi
Unregistered guest
I've heard of this problem and mentioned it to the salesman. He said that the wf model had that problem but the xs model didn't have that problem. I verfied by watching "The Matrix" the third movie (the scene where machines break into Zion), "The Lord of the Rings" the third movie (the scene during the big war between everybody), and watching Ninja Gaiden being played on a xbox. I saw no issues with the set displaying any fast moving images on the types of movies and games I like to watch and play. Otherwise there is no way I would buy a LCD rp. And I think I have a picky eye for artifacts (I see them all the time on my 32 samsung hdcrt everytime I watch a dvd).

Username: Hd_fanatic

Boise, ID

Post Number: 6
Hey OG,

I gathered from what I have read here that you have decided to buy the KDF-60XS955. I don't want to try and persuade you otherwise, but I thought that I would let you know that I had one in my livingroom for a few days and I can honestly tell you that with DVD's in progressive mode, screen-door-effect was very bothersome. HD material looked good most of the time though. The two 55" Sonys I had did not display anywhere near the SDE that the 60" did. BTW, my viewing distance is about 10 ft. back. I ended up taking the set back to BB.

My lesson learned was that with LCD projection, it seems that 55" is the magic number. The KDF-55XS955 is a nice set, and you may want to give it a try instead of the 60".

Like I said before, I'm not trying to put down your selection, and if you viewing distance is further than 10 ft. It may work out for you. For the record, I had to get about 15 ft. back before the SDE was not noticable on the 60".

ogbuehi
Unregistered guest
Not a problem HD fanatic. It's always good to hear honest criticism from consumers who know what they are talking about.

I'll admit that I wasn't impressed with progressive scan on the 60xs but my main reason for getting the tv is for upconvert dvd watching. I watched the switch from progressive scan to upconvert and the improvement impressed me very much. I plan on buying an upconvert player at the same time I buy the set.

The screen door effect that everybody talks about is only noticable to me when I'm about 2 inches from the screen. Once I backed away from the screen more than a foot I couldn't even notice the lines. However I will take into consideration your actual experiences and do some more indepth research. Once I get back to the US (hopefully in about 10 days) I will go to the store with your info and do what I said 7 posts ago.

For some reason I noticed the screen door effect more on the Hitachi than the sony when they were side by side. Who knows, I may be hyping myself up for this particular model and sidestepping stuff I should or will notice in my home.

Undecided
Unregistered guest
Hey OG,

Take a look at the thread called "Sony LCD projection tv problems". If this is a sign of problems to come with the LCD's I wouldn't want any part of that. It could be a limited issue and I didn't see anyone complain that had an xs model. What do you think?

Boise, ID

Post Number: 7
OG,

I never had an up-convert player hooked up, but I do have a high-end Pioneer Elite, so the signal I was outputting is as good as it gets for a 480P. I have heard that the better up-scaling players do make a difference.

When you are in the store checking out the TV, pay close attention to light colors, especially white. This was when SDE was most noticable. Funny thing is, that when I was looking at the set in the showroom, I never noticed it. Maybe the lighting in the store made the difference.

I agree with you about the Hitachi. SDE was way more noticable, plus I do not care much for the high glare of the reflective screen protector on the Hitachi.

Make it home safe, and good luck with you selection.

ogbuehi
Unregistered guest
I became a little concerned when I read several posts on the same subject. The first thing I noticed is that it is on we models only. The second is that no one is saying what that is or what is causing it. I see no troubleshooting going there so as a technician, I'm waiting to see what comes out of that thread.

Username: Mg1982

Post Number: 1
This is a great forum, i'm actually in the same situation in deciding betweem the New Samsung '61 inch DLP "HLR6167W" and the Sony 61 inch LCD "KDF60XS955". I know Samsung just recently released the 'HLR6167W' and greatly improved the contrast ratio from the older models, but i was wondering when do the new Sony Wega televisions come out? The replacement to the Sony 'KDF60xs955' 60 Inch LCD? How long has this television been out in the market? Thankz Guys!

Bronze Member

Boise, ID

Post Number: 12
Mohit,
The replacement for the Sony XS 60" is already available according to some online retailers, but is currently way overpriced. It says that they are in stock, but I could not confirm that. (see the link below for details)

I am very disappointed in Sony. I mean come on... $5,600 for a 60" 720P set. I thought the prices were supposed to be comparable the the current models. I hope that JVC releases their 1080P 61" set this fall like they plan on doing and the price will be reasonable.

BTW, the Sony KDF-60XS955 has been on the market since September 2004. They should be phased out real soon. Hopefully the prices will drop on the new sets. The new sets are supposed to have the automatically adjusting iris shutter on the lens which opens and closes to enhance the black level, which is the primary weakness of LCD. Sony has been using this technology in their front projection systems with great success. (do a google search on HS-51)

http://shopper.cnet.com/4014-6484_9-31304866.html?ar=d&tag=

dragonglen
Unregistered guest
So the question is whether to wait for a 1080p set or pick a proven 1080i set. I keep flipflopping on what to do. I was debating on the same two sets this thread is about, but the more research I do, the more I feel I should probably wait.

dragonglen
Unregistered guest
So the question is whether to wait for a 1080p set or pick a proven 1080i set. I keep flipflopping on what to do. I was debating on the same two sets this thread is about, but the more research I do, the more I feel I should probably wait.

Post Number: 4
HD Fanatic Thankz for the info! This is helpful, i'll just wait for Sept when the new Sony KDF-E60A20 comes out. We'll be keeping this television set for a long time, the iris should enhance the black levels which is gonna make the TV even Better. Gotta play the waiting Game :-(!

Anonymous

Mohit,

You will be waiting for trouble if you think Sony LCD will last a long time. Mine didn't!

LCD's don't last a long time.
DLP's will last decades with only lamp changes.

Sony has the worst customer service on the planet.

LCD = Liquid Crystals Die!

Lamp light will alter the organic matter rendering the display useless, unwatchable and unrepairable over time.

If you want a long lasting HD display get one that uses nothing but light and mirrors. Get a DLP. A new lamp restores the display to new condition.

If you plan on keeping an LCD more than 5 years expect yellowing, fading, other discoloration, stuck pixels, and eventual replacement of the display.

Post Number: 5
Damn, How long did u have your Sony LCD for before is broke? So many different opinions some people swear that LCD is the best technology available and others say DLP is the way to go! I am confused! But Thankz for the tip!

Anonymous

Only 14 months! I didn't get the extended warranty and Sony wouldn't take any responsibility. I've read threads where others have had one or more pixels stuck on red or green or white and Sony said it was "acceptable" and wouldn't fix it even in the warranty period.

Have you seen this thread yet?

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/137540.html

If you still want to buy an LCD, good luck brother.

Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 1
I to am on the fence about which TV to buy.There are pluses and minuses for all technologys.The JVC D-ILA seems to be getting some good write ups and the problems with Samsung DLP seem to be getting fixed in the newer models.There is one thread that shows ugly cracks developing with LCD screens, this is something to consider.

Username: Dragonglen

Post Number: 2
The only thing is that the DLP sets have more moving parts, so you think there'd be more of an issue with failing parts with them. I guess I'll have to wait and see for a bit until there's some resolution to these issues and more experience from other users.

Bronze Member

Boise, ID

Post Number: 14
Fact of the matter is that any given manufacturer with any given technology can and eventually will have problems. Whether it be DLP, LCD, LCoS, ect...These forums are filled with the evidence.

However, you have to take in account that these forums only represent a small percentage of the total population who purchases these sets. I am sure there are many thousands out there that do not experience any problems with their sets.

I believe that in the not-so-distant future, you will see LCoS dominate the market. Mitsubishi, Sony, JVC, Phillips, and others have adopted this technology and others will follow. When 3-chip DLP sets come out (I heard Mitsubishi is working on one), they will give the LCoS sets some good competition. 3-chip technology is definately the way to go. For those who may not know all the differences, here is a link that explains the pros and cons to each technology.
http://www.jvc.com/Presentations/HDILA/drawbacks.html

Username: Islandx

Post Number: 3
I recently purchased Samsungs new HLR5067 and love the contrast ratio, black level, and clarity...However, I can't stand all the rainbows DLP throw, it is not a problem isolated to samsung but DLP in general. i can say that the new samsungs have no av lag, no fan noise, and no color wheel noise. So if you can't see rainbows DLP is great. I returned the set and purchased a sony 55XS955, to be delivered this thursday...will update then.

Anonymous

That's why JVC is better no rainbow, no color wheel that causes rainbow. 3 chip no moving mirrors
Check out JVC
www.jvc.com/press/index.jsp?item=445&pageID=2&CategoryID=3

Username: Islandx

Post Number: 4
Holy Batman, 4.5k-6.9K is way out of my price range. That's not even for the 1080p models. BTW I have heard many good things about LCOS, too bad only JVC offers it at this time, and has had many documented problems with noise, green push, convergence problems, and fire ?

Bronze Member

Boise, ID

Post Number: 28
The 4.5K-6.9K is suggested retail. I read a post somewhere on this site where sombody bought a HD-61Z886 for just under 3K with shipping. Costco.com is selling the 70" HD-70G886 for 4995.00 plus 319 for shipping. That's 2 grand below suggested retail.

As far as the problems you mentioned with JVC, all of those were with the old models. The only problem that I am aware of with the new JVC's is a slight chromatic aberration. You have to get within two feet of the screen to see it though.

BTW, Sony also has a LCoS set, the Qualia 006. Too bad they want 13 grand for the thing!

watcher
Unregistered guest
It seems that no one knows much about the new Iris in the Sony 2005 "A" series. Crutchfield folks are supposed to see it this week and the CSR is going to give me his impressions. If it is as good as the system in the Cineza front projectors it may crack the mirrors in the DLP/LCD debate.

watcher
Unregistered guest
It seems that no one knows much about the new Iris in the Sony 2005 "A" series. Crutchfield folks are supposed to see it this week and the CSR is going to give me his impressions. If it is as good as the system in the Cineza front projectors it may crack the mirrors in the DLP/LCD debate.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us