HD-52Z575 -- 52" D-ILA HD: Projection TV

Username: Masonj

Post Number: 1
Hi all. I'm a bit green when it comes to big screen TV's so please forgive me if this topic has been beat to death.

I've just ordered a JVC HD-52Z575 which will arrive shortly. I'm a bit concerned because I've been reading quite a few posts regarding the noise level produced by this unit's fan. The thing is, I've read everything from "the noise is hardly audible" to "it sounds like a supercomputer"! Now I realize that certain things about a TV are going to be subjective, but surely whether it's noisy or not is a little more quantifiable. So can anyone out there tell me if this set is fairly quite, or is it likely going to drive me out of my mind and make me wish I'd never bought it? If it is noisy then are all these big ILA and DLP type TVs the same or is it hit and miss? I really do appreciate any answers/opinions as this is a MAJOR purchase for me, and I'm really getting nervous that I'm going to get stuck with a TV that just irritates me. Of course I'm hoping you're all going to tell me that the set is quite and to just relax :-).

dk
Unregistered guest
i've also been considering the JVC HD-52Z575, but none of the retailers around have any in stock.

I've heard that the fan can be noisy, but just how noisy, i don't know.

CAn anyone help determine just how noisy this thing is, in comparison to: an xbox / pc / laptop / anything else?...

thanks

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
You can hear it but it isn't that noticible in my estimation. I've had the TV since late October and it hasn't bothered me or my family. When you start up the TV, you hear the fan but as soon as you have audio, it really blends in. The only time I notice it after that is if I have the TV on very low volume. But, to me it isn't a hinderance. As you stated, it is all subjective and it may bother some.

John Mason,
What state are you from?

Post Number: 2
tvshopper:
Thanks for your response, that's the answer I've been crossing my fingers for!

Re: What state are you from?
There are probably a million John Mason's out there (I shutter to think!) - I'm a software developer in Nova Scotia, Canada :-)

RaveD
Unregistered guest
There is another very long and informative thread on the JVC HD52Z575. All of your questions are answered there.

The short story: the fan is noisy but there are simple steps you can take to greatly reduce that noise.

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 765
I compare the sound to an Xbox. It is noticable when you first get the set, but within a few weeks you won't even notice it. From viewing distance (8-12ft) you can only hear it during silent scenes, or as you turn on/off the set. I've had my JVC since last September and I've never had a friend comment on fan noise.

Post Number: 3
This is starting to seem as though things should be okay, I spoke with the sales person today and they're going to let me check it out in the store to give it the okay before I take it home. I suppose it might not sound quite so loud in the store, but I think this is pretty fair of them. I did note today that I could hear something when I was behind an RCA that they had setup (the colour wheel??), but when in front of the set it was not audible. Anyway, I'll post back here and give my opinion after I get the TV this Friday. I'm really starting to believe that this fan issue is no issue at all, and I'm wondering why so many people seem upset about it - I mean, there have been posts from people stating that they have nailed Styrofoam to the wall behind the fan inorder to kill the sound for goodness sake! Anyway, I'll know Friday. Thanks for all of your posts -- keep 'em coming I'm still very interested! :-)

John

PS. I'm considering buying an extended 3 year warrantee for ~200 American and I'm wondering if anyone would like to comment on the reliability of this set?

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 766
There is no color wheel in the JVC. The only internal moving parts are the 3 cooling fans.

RaveD
Unregistered guest
I doubt very much you'll be able to hear the fan in a crowded store.

It seems the fan noise might vary from set to set. In my case it is definitely noticable.

You should know that ALL RP sets have cooling fans. There is no RP set that will be totally quiet.

As is mentioned on the other thread, there are steps you can take to reduce the fan noise. But it will never be completely quiet. You definitely get used to it, but if you're the type of person who can't learn to ignore it, then you might not be happy.

Bronze Member
Username: Mrtomasulo

Post Number: 54
I have never once noticed the fan in my set.

Then again my living room borders the edge of a very busy street.

Bronze Member
Username: Videobruce

Buffalo , NY

Post Number: 59
" I've also been considering the JVC HD-52Z575, but none of the retailers around have any in stock. "

It is a discountinued model that is being replaced with this;

http://www.dtvcity.com/jvc-projection/jvc-hd52g786.html

Post Number: 4
Hi again. (I have to post on this link since I started it!) I finally got my new 575. Actually, it was delivered a week ago but between work and watching the TV I haven't had a chance to write. Anyway, what a beautiful set. I'm very pleased with it. As for the fan noise it doesn't bother me in the least. You can hear it a little sometimes but I certainly wouldn't call it a "deal breaker". I wonder if the noise varies from set to set... anyway you really have to have one in your home to appreciate just how big a 52" screen really is! Just based on the size of this thing it seems natural to me that it should make some sort of noise! So the bottom line is that I'm very pleased with this set (it's the fifth set I've had home in the last 2 months - I'm pretty picky :-) ), it has a beautiful picture (based on my Samsung 850 which up converts DVD to 720p), looks very stylo, and the price is right. I highly recommend one!

One more thing, I noticed a link where people show off their TV stands. It's very interesting as I have yet to get my stand. I wonder why no one has the stand that JVC actually makes for the TV. Is it too expensive? Too boring for the forum?

John

Username: Raved

Post Number: 3
Wait a few days ... then you'll think the 52" is too small and wish you got the 61" :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Justme123

Post Number: 48
Mason:

Glad you got your set and are happy with it!

I know what you mean about the size issue. My seating area is limited to about seven and a half feet away, and with a 61" I think I would be hard presed to focus on the entire screen, without doing the windshield wiper thing!

Post Number: 5
Yeah, I think a 42" would be more sensible but I really do like the JVC - plus I'm a bachelor so it kinda fits the decor, although I might have to start removing friends and family by force soon 'cause they can't get enough of it!

TDawg
Unregistered guest
Can someone tell me the difference between the 575, 585, and 586? I think it's just grey vs. black for the first two, but what does the 586 have that the other two don't?

Bronze Member
Username: Hd_fanatic

Boise, ID

Post Number: 18
TDawg,

You are correct about the first two, 575 = gray, 585 = black. The 586 is the new model and the main difference is the built-in HD tuner, and a five-Point Color Management, that samples red, green, blue, yellow and flesh tones. The old models didn't sample the flesh tones. Here's a link that explains the new models.

http://www.jvc.com/press/index.jsp?item=445&pageID=1
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us