Converting vhs to dvd

Is there equipment that I can make copies of my vhs tapes onto a cd or dvd, if so can I record from my tv to a dvd with the same unit?

Jenny Terr
See the Expert Guides here

hth

jenny

I have a Phillips DVDR985 Recorder I want to record my VHS Library to DVD but I keep coming up with the copy write problem is there a devise not software that I can buy to scramble this so I can record. The VHS recorder is a JVC HR-S29U if that matters. I have a DVD Recorder in my computer too but with all the software needed it takes way too long to make one movie. I used to have a little black box made by Rabbit that could by pass the copy write to record vhs to vhs do they still sell this device? I cant find it no where. I thought maybe that might work. Help Please!!

I am wanting to do get my vhs tapes to dvd the easy and cheapest way.
Hope you can help.
Thanks Tracy Dorough
dorought@bellsouth.net

Anonymous
Get an "Analog Video Capture card", it allows you to hook up your vcr to your pc, and it will then save your vhs movies to (mpeg, vcd, or dvd files. Of course you'll need a dvd burner for dvd burning, but vcd or mpeg work with a cd-rw burner!, and most dvd players will play a VCD movie. The quality isnt that bad, it just a little better then vhs. There are so many capture cards on the market but all basically do the same thing. neoDVDplus is great to use when u use your capture card, it does all the work for you. It burnes the vcd files to your cd with just one click!, and when its done all you have to do is pop it in your dvd player and enjoy!

I would like to take my VHS tapes of my children & preserve them on CDs. What can I buy/do to accomplish this?

I have a new Dell with all the video capture stuff. My objective, as is a lot of other peoples, is to convert VHS tapes to DVD for long term preservation. I have successfully captured analog video. I have written several DVD's using Dells movie software (Roxio) as well as with Windows Movie Maker 2. I have also written a straight avi file directly to DVD using the Sonic DVD creation software. My goal in duping the avi file was to obtain the highest quality possible. The problem is that under all scenarios the quality is not acceptable. When viewing on TV, 35", the images are pixalated. Now, the image is ok but still around faces and such there is definetly a loss of detail which to me is not acceptable. That is why I used the avi to DVD alternative. The question is though, did the avi file get converted anyway? In any case disregarding how many DVD's it may take me how can I produce them where they are at least as good as the tape version? Thanks I amconvering at the NA?? standards of 780x460 or whatever it is.

Derek
If you want really good quality, buy and ATI All-in Wonder Radeon 8500DV. They cost under $150 and can record in AVI, MPEG I, MPEG II and Windows Media. With DVD autoring software and a burner you can make high quality DVDs. I have been able to shoot 2 hour movies from DirecTV to 450 MB files. They only look as good at VHS, but they fit on a single CD and because it uses standard windows calls Divx and Sigma's MPEG-4 encoders work saving even more space.

If I were to use some of the higher bit rate settings, better than DVD is posssible AND this card has two firewire ports for DV cameras and ULead editing software to do conversions and editing.

Anonymous
Here is external alternative.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?sku=A03-7000%20P

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?sku=A03-7038

Anonymous
I recently purchased a Dell with a DVD burner. A primary intent has been to capture VHS tapes. I'm very disappointed with the resulting DVD's on my 40" Sony TV. The VHS tapes look better. I copy and burn at the highest resolution available.

Am I looking for too much? I know the advantage of DVD over tape is the longevity, but the quality is disappointing.

Anonymous
What hardware do I need to use in conjuction with sofware for converting VHS tapes to DVD or VCD?
Which is the best software for dvd ripping again?

Zulu Boy
How do I hook up my PC to record on my vcr? Is it possible to record streaming videos on my PC?

Derek
See http://www.pinnaclesys.com/Category.asp?Category_ID=1&langue_id=7

Steve W.
I was wondering how you make copies from DVD to a VHS tape. I have a Tape player and a DVD player.... do I need anything special for it to work?

Mark Charles
What software do I need to copy a VHS movie such as Jurassic Park so that I can burn it onto a DVD?

Anonymous
Hi All,

Anyone have any luck converting VHS to DVD/or CD-R

So far the best way/easy way is to shell over grand to convert VHS ot DVD

Derek
See my April 25th post.

Conversion Man
There's a step by step guide here:

http://www.vhstocd.tk

Anonymous
you guys all suck

i have also converted vhs to dvd and though they look great on my pc, when i play the dvd the quality is disgusting, there must be some way to get a better quality, especially since we have to fork out money to enable this i cant believe what suckers we are

in answer to michael try using roxio dvd burnin its great and i have never had a problem with copy write probs, but you may regret it though due to when dvd'd are done and u play em they are poor quality no matter what equip you burn em with.

as to jacob and saul u will need something like aver tv card to enable u to do what u want to do

i have also converted vhs to dvd and though they look great on my pc, when i play the dvd the quality is disgusting, there must be some way to get a better quality, especially since we have to fork out money to enable this i cant believe what suckers we are

Claudette
I have the same wish as all of you I am trying to figure out how to transfer vhs family videos to dvds I have pinacle which btw is awesome I have made so many gifts with this product taking pictures and converting them to a home movie along with music and buttons they have all come out very beautiful and I have also used our new camcorder which is digital and converted those to dvd and those too look beautiful but reading all of your stories I'm nervous to start on my families vhs memories..
Do any of you know a way that I could use my digital camcorder and the ilink on my computer and somehow hook in a vcr that could transfer it to dvd? or am I just grasping at straws *BG* I'd appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks!

Derek
Some Sony camcorders can directly transfer standard audio and video to firewire.

ATIs All-in-Wonder Radeon 8500-DV can convert standard audio and video to MPEG-II. It comes with Pinnacle to create DVDs AND is has two firewire ports.

I have an ATI-All-Wonder 7500. I can record the VHS tape, but when playing it back, it shows a repeating picture with a picture bar on top and actually showing the picture, but only the top part!? Any ideas? Thanks.

Derek
I have found that the ATI performs best with the latest drivers (Catalyst 3.8), MPEG II type DVD and a lot of horsepower - I use an Athlon 2500+ 333/512. Also try checking the "Cropped" video boxes. You may be seeing some of the video blanking. The ATI cannot record copy-protected video tapes.

Hope this helps.

I have the kit that can convert a VHS tape or a MiniDV tape to a DVD-R (playable on just about every DVD player I believe). I can load it onto the hard drive, edit it then burn it at the best quality so that it fits the entire DVD. Therefore if you have an hours worth of footage this will put an hour on the DVD at XP quality. It could cope with as much as 4 hours but I would recommend a maximum of 2 hours on one DVD. It is the Panasonic HS2 DVD recorder with built in hard drive. If you want to know more feel free to email me.

Just got the ADS tech INSTANT DVD 2.0 KIT and it worked great with my first VHS to DVD conversion.
However you have to use trial an error here because not all the vhs tapes are of the same quality. My older vhs tapes took a lot more time to work with. The learning curve is to get a handle of the bundle software and how to use it.
PS. 1. HAVE LOTS OF MEMORY ON YOUR HARD DRIVE FOR THIS PROJECT. 2. HAVE A FAST CPU. 3. RECOMMEND A MULTI FORMAT DVD BURNER. 4. HAVE LOTS OF PATIENCE AND LOTS OF TIME (THIS IS NOT A FAST QUICKY THING TO DO-> BUT IT IS A LOT OF FUN!!)
enjoy!

Nasus Eunitram
Ok...If I buy a Panasonic DVD Writer with a hard drive, how do I get my analog VHS tapes info from my VCR to the Panasonic hard drive so that I can edit them turn them into digital info, and then burn them to a DVD? Will I need a special cable, like a firewire, or something? OR, I could transfer my VHS tapes from my VCR directly to my PC harddrive and mess with them with Pinnacle software. Again, what cable do I need from VCR to my PC? Or what card? I have a PCI card on this computer. What does the conection slot look like for that?

Matt
I was wondering if there is a way to copy a VHS to DVD without using a computer b.c i have a DVD recorder and a VCR but everytime i try to record it tells me there is a copy write problem. I was wondering if there is anyway around the protection by buying hardware?. Or if there is just some special thing that you can do to get around the protection?

Bert W. Merkling
Unregistered guest
I got a program off the internet called Virtual Cd. Can any one tell me how it works.
Thanks Bert

Username: Wadesound

Post Number: 1
Convert VHS to DVD

Let us convert your VHS tapes and other media sources to DVD. DVDs maintain a higher quality image much longer than VHS tapes, which show significant degradation in clarity over time. Preserve your precious memories on DVD media for future generations to enjoy!

VHS to DVD

Dave Sanders
Unregistered guest
If you have a Canon DV camera (I bought one primarily because it had this function), it does onboard analog to digital conversion, you can hook up your old camcorder or a VCR through the RCA plugs into the Canon, then the Canon into the firewire port on the PC and record straight to your hard drive using Windows Movie Maker. Then you can edit the videos and burn to DVD or VCD or just save the files on your hard drive. I've converted almost all my old VHS home videos this way...had to install a 2nd hard drive to store them, but it's the way to go as far as I'm concerned.

ella
Unregistered guest
Hi
I have Panasonic DMRE80 and Philips DVDR75.
This are standalone DVD recorders. You do not need to deal with PC and SW.
I made a lot of DVD's from my old VHS tapes.
But if you want to backup copyrighted VHS ( like for example Disney videos ) you will be stopped by "copyrighted" message. The reason is protection put on this tapes.
So I used DVD Red PRO from http://www.xdimax.com/English/dvd_recorder.htm
It works grate! No PC no head ace with setups.
Just plug-and-record.

AlexKKK
Unregistered guest
I had the DVD Red Pro and it worked well with my DVD recorder. It can also duplicate DVD using the component output via the DVD Red PRO. Fantastic.

ella
Unregistered guest
Can you please provide details about DVD Red PRO on component video output. How shell I connect it and which DVD recorder you have.
I agree with you this is fantastic product.
Thanks a lot.

AlexKKK
Unregistered guest
ella,

The Y component should go through the DVD Red PRO same as the composite video connection. The Cb and Cr should be connected direct to the DVD recorder without going through the DVD Red Pro. Hope it works for you.

ella
Unregistered guest
Hi.
Thanks a lot.
Yes it's working.

garry
Unregistered guest
All you need is a pvr 250 from http://www.hauppauge.com/ and beyond tv http://www.snapstream.com/ and of course a tv out card for the computer.
You should use a card like the pvr 250 that uses hardware decoding rather than software decoding for the very best picture.

Username: Rlyell

I just bought an HP DVD Movie Writer dc 4000 hoping to convert my kids' movie collection to DVD (as well as home movies). But the copy protection window keeps me from capturing the video. Anyway around this?

Unregistered guest
I have a dvd writer and am transfering video tapes to dvd. I have alot of videos that have copy wright protections on them. Since I bought them I have started going to dvd. How can I still write them to my personal dvd's with the block on them?

Anonymous

I have captured a number of home VHS movies to my PC for editing and to burn to VCD/DVD, but each time the audio gets out of sync with the video. The longer the capture the more out of sync they get by the end. The sound falls behind by a second or so for every 3-4 minutes of video.

I have been reading all the help files in the software (Pinnacle Studio version 8) but nothing seems to address this problem. I have tried setting the capture with auto scene creation every 60 seconds, but it doesn't seem to help.

Is there an explanation for this and if so, is there a fix?

Thanks for any advice anyone might be able to provide.

Unregistered guest
Hi! I would like to convert my vhs movies to dvd but i dont know how. I would like to know if when we capture vhs movies we dont need a very large disc.

Answer to my email please (cmdt.nuno@netvisao.pt)
Thanks!

Apolon
Unregistered guest
hi!
If I understand well your problem then I think
DVD Red Pro can help you. It is device from
http://www.dimax.com.ua

Apolon

Unregistered guest
Regarding 'Posted on Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 02:32 pm'

I have exactly the same problem and have tried several different audio and video settings with the same result. I have even split my original 3hr tapes of the kids into 3 x 1hr files but that made no difference.

Can anyone offer a solution to the out of sync problem?

I've also tried without success to fit a 3hr VHS tape onto one DVD. How can this be done?

Username: Marsha

I have the HP Writer 4000. Can capture VHS video in preview window but when I try to record I recieve message:"No video signal;please check the source video". My VCR is not equip. with S-video.

Antuan
Unregistered guest
agree with Apolon!
In this situation you need to remove protection from disks and vhs tapes. In this way you can use
red pro. It was discussed in some topics here. So
it have good feedback. If I am not mistake their
webaddress is www.dimax.com.ua
Be healthy.
Antuan

ViCatz
Unregistered guest
To those interested in getting 3 hrs onto a DVD or were having troubles with pixel quality on TV the trick here is the quality the movie is recorded at. I record everything as DVD quality in either Ulead7 or I used to use my All in Wonder 7500 however the ATI files are larger buy 20% than the Uleads and I can only get 75 minutes of ATI on a DVD where as I can get 90 on a DVD using Ulead.
When you record using less than DVD quality video the end result will be fuzzy pictures w/o clarity.
I am using ANY DVD to copy DVD to DVD. Try Kazaa for it. Its about a 1MB file.

Anonymous

Forget all these computer geeks.

Just go to Circuit City ir Best Buy and buy a dual DVD- VHS deck. One button high speed dubbing.
Panasonic, JVC, SONY sells great models.
Just put in the wedding video and a blank DVD-R and press RECORD. 30 minutes later your done.

Concerned Person
Unregistered guest
After my parents died they left about 150+ VHS tapes that are slowly decomposing. I called a store that transfers VHS to DVD but they charge around $50 per hour of recording. If I did it this way it would cost me possibly over $2000/3000. I guess I could get an at home system, but im afraid that the VHS might get ruined if I do it myself. If anyone has any suggestions I would be greatly appreciative. Thnx

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 139
All you need is a DVD recorder and a good VCR to copy the tapes. If you use a good VCR you won't have to worry about it damaging the tapes, so there shouldn't be any problem. I've used Panasonic and JVC DVD recorders, copying videotapes they both look about the same to me. Recording from my satellite the JVC looks better.
I think combo units might do high speed dubbing, not sure on that, but that would increase the chance of tape damage. I work on VCRs and wouldn't use anything but Mitsubishi myself.

Unregistered guest
Hello, I am capturing vhs movies using windows xp pro with a Asylum NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 video card with VIVO. After I capture most movies there is a large white line horizonally across the screen, is this the result of some wright protection or is it the Nvidia drivers. The white line is about 1.5 inches wide.

Unregistered guest
Is there any way to convert a VHS into still pictures? We lost our wedding pictures, and wanted to have some tangible pictures to put into an album, and were thinking of trying to take some still images from our wedding video. Any suggestions on this would be great if you could email me. Thanks!

Unregistered guest
I created DVDs from VHS tapes using Pinnacle Studio 9 and a Pioneer DVR-104 DVD Writer.

They play everywhere excapt on a friend's Hitachi. We get an Error Code: DV/C601 or the DVDs skip all over the place.

Can somebody tell me what this means? And how to fix it?

Silver Member

Post Number: 194
Not all DVD players will play burned DVDs. Try different media, slower burn times, or different burning software.

Bronze Member
Username: Andyyanov

Post Number: 21
Hello David!
I think you are right. I think it depends
only from quality of the equipment that you use.
Now I have MAGNAVOX MDV630R and it read both DVD how licence so and burned. No problem.
Btw you can have problem if you copy licence DVD without any device that can correct protected signal. I can recommend to you DVD Red Pro. You can read about it on www.dimax.com.ua
Regards, Andy

Elaine
Unregistered guest
hi
I too want to convert vhs to dvd.
I see two options - buy a dvd recorder about 240 quid, or on my pc
buy dvd recorder 50 quid, capture card or hardware solution eg dazzle 50 quid.
i'm worried about aforementioned quality issues on the pc route and also my pc is only a 1ghz with 724mb ram and 80gb hard drive and wouldn't want to upgrade too much.

Also I only have a ps2 to play the dvds created with at the moment so i'm worried they won't work.
cheers for any advice.

Silver Member

Post Number: 204
All I can help on is playback compatibility. If you want to be sure they will play in whatever you have, use good quality DVD-R discs, don't buy cheap media, and burn at 2X speed if using a computer. I know the ones I burn work in an X-Box, haven't tried PS-2. I've read in other posts that PS-2s don't play DVDs very good.

Elaine
Unregistered guest
thanks, i think i'll go the safe route of dvd recorder.

Kayedra
Unregistered guest
I just purchased a sansui recorder/burner. I am trying to burn all my Disney vhs tapes to cd and it is telling me they are write protected. Is there ANY way to get around the Disney big brother and burn these tapes?

Kayedra
Unregistered guest
If anyone can assist, please let me know

Silver Member

Post Number: 207
Are we talking about a standalone recorder or a computer burner? CD do you mean DVD?

Kayedra
Unregistered guest
It is a VCR/DVD combo - I suppose recorder. I have had success copying other movies, but not Disney.

Silver Member

Post Number: 208
If it's a combo then there is nothing you can do. If they were seperate you could buy a stabilizer, but with a combo you won't be able to copy them. Disney tapes are heavily copyguarded.

Kayedra
Unregistered guest
Thanks...I guess I will return the unit then. I appreciate your help!

PK
Unregistered guest
all U need is 3 things:
a video card with TV IN -- to capture your video
Virtual Dub (free) - app to setup the capture of your video
TMPGEnc (sharware) - app to convert your video to CD (VCD/SVCD) or DVD video
You can also use Virtual Dub to encode the raw AVI file to a popular MPEG 4 codec ie Divx, Xvid

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Hello Kayedra!
Enough much guys said much good words about
DVD Red Pro. It is if I am not mistake www.dimax.com.ua. This device highly recommended with visitors on some forums.
I suppose that it can help you.
If you have any questions please write me.
By.
Andy.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Hello Kayedra!
Enough much guys said much good words about
DVD Red Pro. It is if I am not mistake www.dimax.com.ua. This device highly recommended with visitors on some forums.
I suppose that it can help you.
If you have any questions please write me.
By.
Andy.

PJ
Unregistered guest
I am trying to record our satellite Homeschooling classes onto DVD. Right now, I have them on VHS tapes and have tried several times to convert them by dumping them onto the hard drive and using pinnacle studio 9 to capture them to put them on disc. With Pinnacle,however, I have a problem with the audio and video. They are out of sync. Any ideas how I can correct this? Also, the videos are anywhere from about 2 1/2 to 4 hours long. How can I capture that length of video and put it onto a DVD that will play on a regular DVD player. After this is resolved we would like to run the satellite directly into a separate hard dive and make the DVD's off that.

Unregistered guest
borrow a digital camcorder from a friend and use it as a "pass though" device. Connect to firewire or usb2 and you are good to go.
works good, onto the HD and then burn to dvd

owilde
Unregistered guest
The dvd red pro's are a rip off, buy directors cut take two it is more money but much better

GOD
Unregistered guest
I'm not into this whole thing about Mac Vs PC crap. But when it comes to witnessing people suffer from graphics related issues...well i just gotta step in.

Ok, this will solve all your problems: Buy a Mac.

All this talk of capture cards and connectors is so technical --typical PC stuff.

You people shoul've realy invested on a Mac G4, or G5 and not a PC. That way you can achieve wonderful things without even having to know about capture cards and other mumbo jumbo.

Anne
Unregistered guest
I have hundreds of VHS tapes that I would like to transfer onto DVD and to also be able to record from the TV onto DVD so I never have to use another VHS tape again!

I know this is possible based on all I have read in here, but what do I need to buy? Is there a standalone unit that will do this? Or is this something that is done through a computer? Thanks alot

Silver Member

Post Number: 332
Any standalone will do it. Most prerecorded tapes will require a stabilizer, home recordings won't.

Roxe
Unregistered guest
David, you wrote:
"Most prerecorded tapes will require a stabilizer"

What, where, who makes, a stabilizer?

Silver Member

Post Number: 333
Many different ones. Look in threads here about copying DVDs or videotapes, you will see them. Look back a few in this thread and you will see one.

GOD
Unregistered guest
in other words...david doesnt have a clue what the hell hes talking about

Silver Member

Post Number: 335
I use a stabilizer, do you?

Anonymous

And GOD doesn't know how to spell or punctuate either! Does your precious MAC have spellcheck on it? LOL!!!!!

roxe
Unregistered guest
David wrote:
Many different ones. Look in threads here about copying DVDs or videotapes, you will see them. Look back a few in this thread and you will see one.

Wow, I'm really impressed!! Taking 28 words to answer, when only a couple would suffice. I've read this thread several times; but not knowing anything about this topic... but wanting to learn... how in the world am I supposed to know WHAT I'm looking for?

Would it have hurt you to give me a civil answer?

Silver Member

Post Number: 360
Someone tries to help you and you respond to that with insults, that's a good way to get what you want. OK, here it is in a few words, read this thread.

roxe
Unregistered guest
I have read this thread six times, but don't have a clue what I'm looking for. I appologize for wasting your time.

kf4yah
Unregistered guest

what can be used for this stabilizer?

Bobnik
Unregistered guest
My guess is that David is referring to the Red pro mentioned several times with a hyperlink.

Unregistered guest
I want to put copyrighted VHS tapes onto DVDs so I can trash the old VHS tapes. What EXACTLY do I need? I'm planning on getting a HUMAX DVD burner (so I can tivo as well). Can I put 3 VHS movies on one DVD? I'm so lost. Once I get Red Pro, what do I hook up to what? Also - is Humax bad? Any suggestions on a really good DVD burner?

Anonymous

Two option either use a hard where level device to remove copy right encoding, or use a video input then software to remove the stuff.

To use the software computer option what you need is a video in put, which is either a cord that has video on end and USB the other, or a internal hardware card which needs to be physical installed into the computer. Then you will need softwhare (DVD shrink to kill) that deals with the encoding and software for converting to the right format and a DVD burner.

Other option is a hardware that does the work for you.
You put the device in the middle of the line that runs from VCR to your computer, which is either a combined(aduio/video) or video line. That is one side is connected to the "out put" which usaly says out, the other is connected to the "input" of the other device(comupter or whatevery your are trying to use as a burner) The best and highest quality is through a VCR/DVD combo, or a DVD movie writer but you will need to remove the "encoding" frist, which could be removed with a realy good video filter. Something that improves the video quality of a line and remove all interfarance as in any thing that is not part of the picture or sound. Simplest and best quality is most likly VCR to "filter" to DVD burner, no computer only standalone units. Try an describler to remove the "interfarance".

Quality is a question of input, processing, and size of the file. You can put low quality 3 hours of VHS on to a dvd. DVD hold around 2 hour of dvd quality on them. So if you cut that in half you can get 4 hours on one dvd.

I Have just started to work towards burning, I have capture video on my computer. I have not burnt or to tried anything to see the quality of the image. The process of converting is actual a hard thing to do. It requires alot of power. I want to be able to record at speed above real time. Why because 2 hour is a long time to have a computer running do some thing that could burn out my video card, by over heating it. I have a laptop.

Can I use a lower speed as in SP to burn a higher speed like LP at a faster rate, will my cord be abily to do that which record more than 24FPS when set at a higher quality?

Unregistered guest
I have just bought a Philips DVDR890. Intend to back up my videos, but the message I get is 'no signal', nothing to do with copywrite. Will Red Pro get past this please?

AlexKKK
Unregistered guest
DVDR890 is a very precise machine that will not record signal that doesnt comform to straight video standard, typical of those old video tape. That could be your problem. I got around the problem by having to transfer the VHS tape to a camcorder and then from the camcorder to the DVDR using the i-link connection. Time consuming.

Unregistered guest
Got an Emerson DVD/VHS recorder (works good), but will not let me convert copy protected vhs to dvd. Is there anything I can do or get to let me copy it anyway? email me kdguilford@hotmail

i dont have one
Unregistered guest
yall dont know how to answer a question.
How to covert vhs to dvd FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FREEWARE FREEWARE where is the freeware

answer the question
Unregistered guest
Yeah! Answer this quesion.....

How do you put vhs tapes on DVD for FREE??!

Freeware

tracey
Unregistered guest
I have a bush dvd recorder and vhs combi, how do I get round the copyright on the vhs video tapes and I want to change my videos to dvds, some will work and some wont

Username: Meme_luke

I have 3 short VHS family tapes that I would like to convert to VCD or DVD using my PC. But I haven't a clue how to start. How do I connect to PC? Do I have to have a special program to do this? What ports do I use etc? I've made many VCD's using my computer programs but this one leaves me guessing. Don't laugh - just help this "granny" please, in simple language. Can use my email address also - Thanks Y'all

Anonymous

Have an ATI Radion 9550SE and want to know how to get a VHS movie onto my harddrive for copying. Does anyone know how this works if it even can work?

Unregistered guest
I have an ATI 9800 AIW, Sony DRU710A DVD, a Dell 3.2 ghz, 800 fsb, 1 g of memory and it takes 6-7 hours to capture a VHS tape (1 hr) and burn it to DVD. Is this normal? It takes hours to render the movie. Also, I can only record at 78% quality, if I try higher it says it won't fit on the disk.
I can write to a video cd with 100% quality.
I have about 30 g available on the HD.
Should I make my swap file larger?

Thanks
Pete

Anonymous

I would like to make a DVD by converting all of my parents' old home vhs tapes to DVD. What do I need in order to do this? Will I need hardware as well as software? Also, I've heard that there can be problems with the quality of picture by converting to DVD. What do I need to do in order to prevent this from happening? Thanks!!

jackmack
Unregistered guest
i have a dvd recorder and a vcr. Can I just plug my vcr into the recorder put the dvd on av and play the tape and press record on the dvd????

jackmack
Unregistered guest
i have a dvd recorder and a vcr. Can I just plug my vcr into the recorder put the dvd on av and play the tape and press record on the dvd????

Anonymous

I have successfully copied several VHS tapes onto a DVD. I took some time to research it before I got started and a great site to use is www.afterdawn.com for more info. Anyways, I am still new to this but here goes. An analog source is needed to play the tape (VCR), a video capture card/device is needed to capture the analog signal and convert it to a digital format that is stored on the computer hard drive (these can be high end video cards, tv tuner cards, or a video capture device), video capturing/editing software to edit the movie and add effects (Windows Moviemaker is a good one to start with), DVD authoring-burning software to create the DVD files and file structure (I use Ulead Video Studio/Movie Factory), and a DVD burner is needed for copying the finished product to a blank DVD (or cd burner for a VCD) . Typically, the VCR OUT signal connects to either the composite IN connectors (yellow/red/white connectors) or S-Video connector (single round connector) found on the capture card/device depending on your VCR. Some VCR's have both types of connectors. Once you have them connected, play the tape from the VCR and record it tothe computer through the capture software. The file is saved as an MPEG (AVI files are alot bigger in size and usually only useful if recording from a digial video camcorder). Once you have finished capturing, open the file though the video editing software and here you can edit the footage, create titles, and other special effects. This will be saved as a final edited MPEG movie. Now, open your DVD authoring software and load your MPEG movie. Here you will be able to create DVD menu's and chapters. Once you have authored your DVD, you burn it to a blank DVD. The process of rendering the movie (converting it to DVD-Video format) and burning the DVD can take considerable time depending on the source file formats (MPEG vs AVI), your computer's resources, and the amount of menu's/chapters you create on the DVD. I once had a movie take 8 hours to render but a couple of hours is usually standard.

Unregistered guest
Can you use the ATI TV WONDER External USB 2.0 Tuner Card to record my VHS tapes to DVD? I have a dvd burner and I know it'll record TV programs...but can I hook my vcr up to it? It looks like it'll work...but I want to know for sure.

Anonymous

I am a teacher and play portions of VHS films to illustrate discussion and lecture. The videotape machine is connected to an overhead projector that is quite large (small movie screen). If I copy the VHS tapes to DVD (since most of our tape machines are old and not being replaced), will the projected DVD film be as nice as the videotape was when it fills the screen? Thanks!

Unregistered guest
I've successfully captured VHS Movie, but it created a 7.2GB mpeg file. Roxio Easy Media Creator can't shrink it enough to fit on DVD. Any thoughts?

|V|ons+er
Unregistered guest
more answers less questions, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please
thanks

LMS
Unregistered guest
Does anyone know whether copying a VHS to DVD using a combi player (see Anonymous, August 15)- which seems by far the best option for a technophobe - gives you quality equal to twiddling about with all the PC paraphernalia? I want to put some clips from an old VHS tape (copyright no prob) on my website. Do all combi players automatically allow you to copy from VHS to DVD and vice versa?

Unregistered guest
In answer to Anonymous, I have a Xpert DVD Maker card in my computer. I use Sonic MYDVD to capture the video from VCR. (I don't use the software that comes with card..video is sluggish)Once you have captured video Sonic will let you trim out what you don't need especially if you are doing a presentation and don't need whole video. Then you can convert to put on a DVD. If file is not over 4.7 gig(dvd size) Sonic will burn to DVD for you. The quality is a step up from VHS. Hope this helps. Anyone need more help. I will try to assist them.

Anonymous

My big project is copying about a hundred tapes of soccer games on to DVDs.

Thinking I had a dvd burner on my PC, I almost bought Pinnacle 9 last night, I just found out out that I don't have a DVD burner so that's out. I'm going to buy a dvd recorder w/hard drive to connect to my vcr and commence copying. What attracted me to doing the project on my pc was the ability to clean up/edit (cut out halftimes) the video before burning on to the dvd.

I think I've over-researched the different models of dvd recorders and I'm now a little burned out, do you guys have any recommendations on ones that give me the ability to do the same kind of editing that the Pinnacle software would have given me on the pc?

This one looks to be a good bet but I'm open to suggestions. http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=JVCDRMH30S

I've also seen some devices that you connect between the vcr and dvd recorder that supposedly cleans up the video but I don't know if it's legit:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?j=1&type=product&id=1074788270290

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks for any help that is given.

BB

Silver Member

Post Number: 677
The recorder will clean the tapes without anything between the VHS and the recorder. With a hard drive you will be able to edit before burning to DVD-R. That same recorder is $499 at Amazon with free shipping.

Anonymous

Dude, thanks a lot, I gotta start doing some of this Ebay and Amazon shopping. I can't believe it's that much cheaper.

I just go off the phone with a friend that is in the multimedia business and he says I should go to Ebay and buy a dvd burner for $50 and go the pc route, he said you can do so much with Pinnacle.

Basically, my wife and I want a dvd recorder anyway so I know I'm going to get that, the big decision is whether or not to also get the software and dvd burner for my pc. If I can get it all done for $800 (JVC recorder for $500 and approx. $300 for the pc stuff), my converting can begin.

Thanks again.

BB

Silver Member

Post Number: 678
Unless you want to make fancy menus, there's really no need to do anything on the computer. You can edit on the hard drive of the standalone, and it will make basic menus.

Carl Roberts
Unregistered guest
I tried a few different video capture cards for my PC ranging from $200 to $300. Two of them were from Pennacle the other was a Plextor device with a TV tuner. I ended up spending a ton of time on working on it and was never really impressed with the video quality. I ended up returning all of them and having it done professionally. Here's a link to the company I used http://www.convertmymovies.com

Unregistered guest
I read the whole thread and did not get any help
for my problem. I want to convert vhs to dvd but
Iget the copyright problem, I have a emerson combo would love any help toget by it.
please e-mail dodge84truck@wmconnect.com , Thanks a mill.

Silver Member

Post Number: 687
If they are copy protected tapes you can't do them on a combo.

Anonymous

Hey David (and others), hope you don't mind answering a few more questions.

I like the JVC MH30 that I linked to above and I'm really close to getting it, but I'm a little worried that it lacks the programming ability that you get with Tivo. I've been spoiled by Tivo and would rather not go back to the days of programming the VCR and having to leave the cable/satellite box on the channel I'll be taping off.

Is the only answer to this to get a dvd recorder with Tivo capability or are there some that can control the channel the satellite box is on so that I don't have to worry about anyone changing the channel and I end up having taped two hours of the Lifetime channel.

Also, do you have to have tivo or something similar (with a phone line) in order to be able to be recording and watching different channels at the same time?

The JVC has VCR+ but I think that just makes it a bit easier for you to program but is nothing like Tivo.

I'll be keeping the Tivo I already have on one tv, this dvd recorder will be connected to another TV.

Thanks again.

BB

Silver Member

Post Number: 692
You mention satellite and cable both, so I'm not sure which you have. For timer recording you need to set 2 timers, 1 on the recorder and 1 on the satellite, then you won't end up recording something you don't want.

Anonymous

My old roommate had digital cable and we were able to program that box so that it went to a specific channel at a specific time to match what we programmed on the vcr.

I have Directv, I didn't know you could do the same with their box. If that's possible, at least its an option if I get the JVC.

I'll have to give up on being able to watch and record off different channels at the same time without getting Tivo.

BB

Silver Member

Post Number: 693
If you have a dual LNB satellite and 2 receivers you can watch and record at the same time.

Anonymous

David, I've been reading a few other threads around here and you seem to be the man who knows all. I googled dual LNB and understand what they do.

Based on what I've said, can you give me your opinion on which way I should go. I noticed somewhere else that you like the JVC brand (I think), would you recommend I go with that one or one like it and get what I need to record and watch on different channels (dual LNB & another receiver)? Or just get a DVR recorder w/hard drive and Tivo. If I go with the latter, I'll have to choose another brand 'cause JVC doesn't make any with Tivo. Might have to be Panasonic or Toshiba.

BB

Silver Member

Post Number: 696
I think Pioneer has a Tivo too, not sure on that. If you have a newer dish it probably has a dual LNB. Look at the dish, if the pickup in the front is round it's a single, if it's oval and about 5 inches wide it's dual. Another receiver costs about $100 I think, and $5 a month for the programming. I've never used Tivo, so I can't really tell you which way to go on that.

Rommel
Unregistered guest
David: Hope you can help. I've got DVD Red Pro to copy from VHS to my DVD burner. It works ok, however, the picture kind of "flickers/jumps". You had mentioned getting some type of stabilzer in an earlier posting. Would this solve my "flicker/jump" problem?

Silver Member

Post Number: 714
The DVD Red Pro is a stabilizer, it should solve problems like that. Mine has an adjustment inside that can be set if there are problems like that, I've never used one of those so I don't know if they have an adjustment or not. If it uses a battery, use a brand new one, they work best with a fresh battery.

Anonymous

need help.. have dazzle to convert vhs to dvd I have captured the vhs but when I try to burn to dvd its tells me invalid disk/ media. even though I have 8x disk inserted. Dazzle manuals are not very good. Also realize I have sonic on my laptop does it do the same thing?

Unregistered guest
I have VHS tapes that were already converted from 16mm films... Now I want to get them on my computer to burn DVD's. If I could copy them onto my Sony camcorder (mini dv), I know how to do it from there. But when I connect the two devices, the vcr plays, but I can't get the camera to record. Do I need a special connection? Or am I better off trying to connect the vcr directly to my computer, and with what?

Unregistered guest
I have an Emerson Combo vhs/dvd recorder. Can I hook up a separate vhs player with a DVD Red pro then connect to my Emerson and get it to copy all vhs's to dvd without errors?

Silver Member

Post Number: 739
Yes

Silver Member

Post Number: 753
In theory yes, some people have had problems with the Red Pro not working for them. I've never used one, I do use a stabilizer and it works fine, but it's not the Red Pro. Thought I better add this after thinking about it.

Username: Biaya

Post Number: 3
I bought a DVDR/VCR combi unit so that I could record my hundreds of NTSC videos onto DVD format. When I try to copy onto DVD from NTSC on this unit I get the message "Disc has a different tv system to current input picture". It works fine on PAL format vhs tapes. Any ideas? I'm gutted that I might have wasted £200 as this was the whole reason for buying the unit and as it could play NTSC I thought it would be fine.

Thanks.

Cell
Unregistered guest
I want to convert VHS tapes to DVDs. Can someone tell me what is the best video card or analog video capture card to buy? Can I get away with buying a good video card? How about sound card? Thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 860
With the price of standalones now, you are probably better off to go that way. Standalones have noise reduction circuits to improve the picture from poor quality sources like VHS.

Cell
Unregistered guest
Thanks David. I have, however, heard many people saying great things about video capture card/TV tuner such as the KWORLD PCI TV/FM Tuner, DVD Maker Card or the ATI TV wonder pro. They are around $50, and I don't know if anyway had successfully copying their VHS to DVD format with these devices?

Silver Member

Post Number: 863
I've never tried to do it on the PC, but I've read dozens of posts from people having problems trying to use a PC. My brother in law spent $150 on equipment to do VHS on his PC and has never been able to get the audio to work. A standalone is simpler and more reliable.

David Porter
Unregistered guest
David Massey, in your opinion:

I have a GoDVD Sima CT-2 and I still get the copyrite message unable to copy. Should it be working or do I have a defective unit?

Should I have tried the Red Pro?

Thanks!!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 937
What are you trying to copy to and from? Some recorders are more picky about copy protection than others. I haven't used either of those, but I would think Sima's products would be better, alot of people have complained about the Red Pro not working. It's possible it's defective, if you have something else you can try it on, do that.

David Porter
Unregistered guest
David, copy from an old Orion VHS Player to an Emerson EWR10D4 DVD recorder (Funai Corp). Media, normal purchased commercial vhs tapes, copy protected.

Thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 938
Any stabilizer should work on VHS. Are you sure it's connected properly and the power source is working?

Unregistered guest
David, Your right, signals aren't coming through my vcr video/audio, only through the antenna coaxial cable. Obviously, I'm very weak on this subject. I just assumed video/audio out connection carried the signal... they never did, when I pulled them back the tapes still play via the coaxial cable. I know I'm imposing but any chance you can help me with this outside of the thread? I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks Dave dporter9us@yahoo.com

David Porter
Unregistered guest
David Massey, Finally figured out what I was doing wrong, all OK and many thanks for your replies/help. Dave

Anonymous

I have a Pioneer DVR-RT500 VHS/DVD recorder
I want to dub copyrighted VHS tapes to DVD.

Is there anyway to get around the copyright issue???

Silver Member

Post Number: 981
You need a seperate VCR and a stabilizer.

Anonymous

How much is a stabelizer and where can I get one?

Silver Member

Post Number: 984
http://mcm.newark.com/NewarkWebCommerce/mcm/en_US/endecaSearch/searchPage2.jsp?x =10&Ntt=digital+video+stabilizer&Nty=1&N=4&y=7&Ntk=gensearch

Anonymous

How do hook this up?

Silver Member

Post Number: 986
With RCA jacks. Look at the picture, there's a diagram.

maur211
Unregistered guest
I am using Nero Reloade 6 to copy VHS to DVD but having trouble with my LG DVD player reading the DVD's. Could it be the file type the video is saved to DVD, if so what should it be??? Any suggestions would be great.

Unregistered guest
trying to transfer bought vhs to dvd but cannot as copyright protection does not allow it, how do i get round this?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1007
This has been done to death. You need a stabilizer, read this thread.

Unregistered guest
Has anyone had any experience using the JVC DRMX1S VHS DVD Recorder with Hard Drive(80GB), for converting home VHS tapes to DVD? The little (propoganda) that I have read, would seem to suggest that it is simple, fast and gives enhanced quality.
Comments anyone.

Unregistered guest
hello,
I have skimmed the thread and didn't notice my problem, sorry if I missed it just let me know.
I have a pinnacle movie box which I got remanufactored from tigerdirect who I've never had any problem with and only mention cuse it could be a hardware issure.
I copy my vhs off my vcr and onto a second HD connected to my cd burner, the playback of the copy on HD looks great (well for something and inch or so wide lol) and the sound is in sync. I push the dvd button and burn the dvd but the sound and video are out of sync on the burned dvd.
the various general things I have found sound like what pinnacle is supposed to be doing for me. the user manual suggested (for a diff sound issue, sound dropping out) to not have anything else running while dvd is burning, so I tried that and its just as bad.
anyone have any ideas?
thanks!

Chris84
Unregistered guest
All the programs/hardware you will need to do anything you want:

http://www.alcohol-soft.com/ - Alcohol 120 homepage

http://www.copydvd.com/dvd-x-copy-platinum.aspx?aff=google2 - DVD X Copy Purchase page

http://www.dvdxcopy.com/ - DVD X Copy Homepage

http://www.datavideo.us/ - DataVideo US Homepage

http://www.datavideo.us/products/dac_100_main_page.htm - DataVideo DAC 100 Analog-DVI Converter

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16882124001 - Sharp DVSR3U DVD Recorder @ newegg

http://www.dimax.com.ua/English/dvd_recorder.htm - DVD Red Pro video stabilizer and Macrovision removal unit

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827129161>Pioneer DVR-109 Dual Layer DVD burner @ newegg

I've bought almost all of these (excluding Red Pro - next on my list) and you can do whatever you want with this. Convert Analog to digital (either through PC or straight through the recorder), stabilize the signal, make image files of the DVDs you've created; decrypt, compress and backup any DVD, including Dual layer. This equipment and a PC should put you where you want to go.

Other tips:

USE DVD-R. It is the oldest most compatible DVD format out there. It may not be the quickest to burn, but it is the most compatible.

CHANGES IN COLOR ARE MACROVISION PROTECTION. If you haven't read that already then read it now. You'll need something like DVD Red Pro to filter it out. There are software solutions but they're a pain in the butt.

N. Nicholas
Unregistered guest
David Massey--thanks for all your help and patience.
3 questions: Does the JVCDRMH305 require a stablizer for converting VHS cpyrighted to DVD's?
Is the MCM stabilizer mentioned above preferred? If not, what's the best?
Anything new in standalones for transfering cpyprotected VHS to DVD's? Thanks again!

N. Nicholas
Unregistered guest
David Massey--thanks for all your help and patience.
3 questions: Does the JVCDRMH305 require a stablizer for converting VHS cpyrighted to DVD's?
Is the MCM stabilizer mentioned above preferred? If not, what's the best?
Anything new in standalones for transfering cpyprotected VHS to DVD's? Thanks again!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1088
Any recorder will require a stabilizer for recording copy protected sources. I've been using a stabilizer like the one at MCM for many years, it works fine for copying VHS, but not so great for DVDs.

camie
Unregistered guest
Hi,
I am totally new to this forum, and I am desperately in need of help right now. My question is that I have a sony HC30, a VCR, PC, firewire, cable, is it possible to save my old tape into my computer? Please please, I know you guys are all experts, please help me out. I have read so many posts, but still have no clue.
Thanks a lot,

Unregistered guest
david,
sorry to bother you did you say you can connect a video player to a jvc dr-mx1s combo through a stablizer and copy protected vhs films to a dvd disc.
i need help i paid £800 for this combo and dont want to waste the money ill try rigging up my old video to it.
and what stabalizer do you use.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1129
You can connect a seperate player and a stabilizer. I wouldn't know where to get a stabilizer in Europe though. I use one like they sell at MCM electronics for $20 U.S. I don't know if they ship overseas or not.

Unregistered guest
I guess I will direct this to David Massey since you seem to be the most knowledgable on this subject.

I want to transfer about 200 VHS movies (I would assume most if not all are copyright protected) to DVD. At this point, I don't plan on doing any editing. I just want the best quality DVD possible. I have a Sony Model SLV-N80 VCR but unfotunately it doesn't have a S-VHS video output.

My computer is a HP Pavilion a1030n with a 16xDVD-+R/RW drive and a 200GB 7200rpm Serial ATA hard drive. The processor is a Pentium 4 530J with HT Technology. I also have a Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900. I have Sonic Record Now and Windows Media Player software on my computer as well as Real Player Super Pass.

I am considering buying the ADS Technologies DVD Express 2.0 model USBAV-701 to handle the conversion.

My questions are:

Would it be worth buying a VHS player that has a S-VHS video output?

Do I have the software I need along with the software that would come with DVD Express?

I will be paying $99 for the DVD Express. Is there a better value to accomplish this task?

Would I need to add a stabalizer with this setup?

I plan to transfer the VHS to my hard drive and then burn the DVD. After burning, I would delete the file from my hard drive and continue with the next one. I would defrag my drive after every 4 movies. Is this the right approach.

I really would appreciate any input you could give me and i want to thank you in advance.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1201
I have never done any VHS on a PC, I use a standalone.

Username: Wwwresrch

Turlock, CA United States

David,

What is a "standalone"? Can you recommend one along with anything else I need to accomplish this task? I have read back thru some of the posts and see standalone's referred to but nothing describing what they are. Sorry i am new to all this.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1208
A DVD recorder, like a VCR but it records on DVDs. You will need a stabilizer too.

Unregistered guest
I have the Dazzle digital video creator 150 hi-speed. I bought it for a movie I recorded to VHS years ago (with commercials) and would like to record it to DVD (without the commercials). The movie is not in production and can not be bought. It is a little over 2 hours long. Can anyone please help?

Unregistered guest
HEY
I just got a DVD VHS Converter and i was wondering how much u would pay to get a VHS Recorded on to a DVD.
( Please Give me A range. )
P.s
Im not asking if i can record ur's to DVD, Im asking how much if u were to have some one convert them. If u EMail me right DVD/VHS as the Subject.

ALLIE
Unregistered guest
AIM Instant Message me at MovieGallery101
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us