HD Picture: amazing...Digital picture: not so great

Username: Morrissey

Post Number: 1
Equipment:

TV - 43" Panasonic LCD Projection HDTV (PT-43LC14)
Cable Provider - Comcast
Cable Box - Motorola DCT6412

Hi everyone. I hope this question hasn't already been answered. If it has, I apologize in advance. Basically, I just moved into a new home in south Denver metro (which has had fiber optics for years), and I've noticed some issues with my picture quality. The Comcast serviceman came to install my digital cable with HD programming. The HD channels are superb...however, all the other channels (digital or analog) are pretty grainy. I don't expect these other channels to look superb, but in my old home those other channels looked fine. Of course, I had an older HDTV television back then, but even still I don't think the issue lies with my Panasonic HDTV since it's brand new.

The Comcast serviceman even mentioned that the signal was very strong in the TV room, so that makes me wonder why my digital/analog channels look so grainy. I even went to Best Buy and purchased a DVI chord to replace Component solution I had, but that didn't make a difference.

The motorola digital/HD box allows you to set the aspect ratio and quality of the picture. I have it set to 16:9 regardless of the channel i'm watching. It's also set to 1080i when viewing HD channels and it seems to override to 480p when I change the channel to a digital or analog channel.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm a technical person (I work as a software engineer), but I'm very much in the dark when it comes to this subject. thanks in advance!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us