Non-HD Programming with Surround Sound

Willie Cash
Unregistered guest
My question is very basic for all of you out there with home theater systems: How many non-HD broadcasts can you now get Dolby Digital or 5.1 surround sound? In particular, how many sporting events in non-HD come in 5.1 or DD?

I'm debating an HDTV or home theater system now and this plays a large part into my decision. If I can get enough regular programming (e.g. digital cable or directv) with 5.1 or surround sound I'll probably put off the HDTV for a bit.

Thanks so much.

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 727
You're asking for a number? Try the web site of your cable or satellite provider. Doubt if many of us have time to actually sit down and count these things for you.

Willie Cash
Unregistered guest
Jackleg.

No, not a number, but how about a general feel for how many non-HD programs out there are broadcast in 5.1? You can get this from their web site? That helps. I'll do that.

But if an HD program, let's say Monday Night Football, is broadcast in 5.1, is the non-HD broadcast of that event going to be broadcast in 5.1 as well? If so, what's the big deal with people touting HD surround sound as such a big deal?

HD Guy
Unregistered guest
Willie, Network non-hd broadcast are only in Prologic, not 5.1 but cable/satellite channels such as HBO or Showtime carries 5.1 on its SD service but depends on the show.

Silver Member

Post Number: 728
Your question was "how many" and you call me a jackleg. You're a jackas* and can't even understand your own inquiries.

Willie Cash
Unregistered guest
Thanks HD Guy.

So let me get this straight.....Very few cable/satellite channels carry 5.1. Those that do carry Prologic, but not 5.1. Those non-HD that do have 5.1 now are on the movie channels like HBO and Showtime - and only intermittently there.

I attempted to check the Time Warner and directv websites to see if any info was there in the TV listings to get a feel for what is available with no luck.

Anyone out there currently have a home theater setup on a non-HD TV that can give an opinion on "a general approximation" for how many non-HD shows out there are in ProLogic and how many in 5.1?

Thanks.

Peas
Unregistered guest
"Anyone out there currently have a home theater setup on a non-HD TV that can give an opinion on "a general approximation" for how many non-HD shows out there are in ProLogic and how many in 5.1?"

325 give or take 324 and 96 give or take 95.

Hope this helps,

Peas

HD Guy
Unregistered guest
Willie, HBO, SHO, etc. broadcast most of the newer movies and its own new productions in 5.1 regardless of HD or not. Most people invest in surround sound systems use them for DVD also, not just for TV.

Willie Cash
Unregistered guest
HD Guy. Yea, sorry, I don't mean to come over like a complete newbie here...I've got you on the DVD for sure. Right now I can get either a surround sound or HDTV - but not both due to financial constraints. I'm leaning toward surround sound for now as a big plus for me is having 5.1 for sporting events. What you know about sporting events for 5.1? Any reference you know of that I could check out?

All this is assuming of course that my digital cable or directv box has an optical out for sound.

Silver Member

Post Number: 730
Peas, my sentiments exactly. Guy asked "how many" and expects us to answer. Give me a break.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us