Buy Motorola 6412 HD DVR on eBay and hookup?

Username: Murraymcleod

Post Number: 8
Since Comcast can't seem to provide me with a Motorola 6412 HD DVR (they say that even though my cable network is ready, the DVR's aren't available), what's to prevent me from buying one on eBay and hooking it up in place of my current HD cable box? Would the cable company know the difference?? I'm getting tired of paying for Directv satellite as well just to have a DVR (ultimate TV).

fx
Unregistered guest
"what's to prevent me from buying one on eBay(?)"

Nothing at all........

"and hooking it up in place of my current HD cable box?

Still nothing stopping you......

" Would the cable company know the difference?? "

Most likely they would not.....

Unfortunately you never asked the only truly relevant question which is: Would the 6412 DVR work properly after I hooked it up to my cable system? Now then you would have gotten some useful information.

xvxvxvx

Username: Murraymcleod

Post Number: 10
Well, that question was kind of implied...and the answer to that important question is....?

fx
Unregistered guest
Heh, Heh Murray, I thought you would never ask! :-)

It won't work on their system. First of all Motorola does not sell cable boxes (to include the DCT-6412) to the public in the US. So it is implied that the E-Bay boxes are stolen. An exception is canada where you are able to purchase your own cable box but that is really irrelevant to your question.

All the STB's have an internal serial number in it's firmware. This serial number identifies who really owns this box. Comcast has a firm policy to not enable any STB's not owned by them so you are SOL till your local Comcast company adds the DCT-6412 to thier lineup.

xvxvxvx
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us